Linebacker situation...  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you keep?

• Freeman
    • Jackson
    • Sio
    • Irving
    • Someone else...

How do you move forward next season with this? Freeman will probably get a monster contract from an overpaying team like the raiders next season so hes gone. Dquell....good but we need some fresh meat. Can Sio Moore and Nate Irving take over? Im really excited to see what Sio can do next season. Such a shame they wasted a whole season with him on special teams.

1 hour ago, bap1331 said:

How do you move forward next season with this? Freeman will probably get a monster contract from an overpaying team like the raiders next season so hes gone. Dquell....good but we need some fresh meat. Can Sio Moore and Nate Irving take over? Im really excited to see what Sio can do next season. Such a shame they wasted a whole season with him on special teams.

For what it's worth....

Inside Linebackers rarely get a "monster" contract.      Luke Keuchly is the exception to the rule.

But I think we gave DQJ roughly 4/20 and I don't see Freeman getting that.    

Jerrell feels more like a 3/13 guy --  tops.   

Irving can do what Jackson does and is younger. Freeman and Sio are a bit more athletic than Jackson so I'd be willing to let him go but all 4 are functionable so I'd keep all 4 unless an upgrade is available. Brandon Marshall would be nice, he's played with Irving before too.

I wanna see us keep Sio and DQ at least. While we need to get younger, you still need some experience, which is why I wanna keep DQ. In the draft I'd love to take Jaylon Smith. Yes his injury is serious and he might miss some time (which is why he'll probably be available when we pick), but I think he's a good talent and if we're patient with him, he can be a cornerstone to our Defense. We should also sign an FA ILB. Someone like say, Danny Trevathen or Brandon Marshall. I would love to go in the season with that kind of ILB core

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 1:02 PM, SteelDragon said:

What about Mathis? 

I`d cut him and save the 5mil to get younger talent in. No dead money and his best years are behind him. This team is not a signing or two and good draft away from a SB. Especially when you consider coaching, new schemes and possible GM changes coming.

13 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I`d cut him and save the 5mil to get younger talent in. No dead money and his best years are behind him. This team is not a signing or two and good draft away from a SB. Especially when you consider coaching, new schemes and possible GM changes coming.

Mathis is just fine. He has 7 sacks in only 505 snaps in 14 games only 9 of which he started coming off a season ending injury so it most likely was going to take some games for him to get his legs back under him and it did. His cap hit is small next year and we already have inconsistent pass rush problems as is when he is not on the field. We need another pass rusher but we need to keep Mathis.

I hope that Sio Moore and Irving can be a dynamic ILB duo next year. I kinda fear that Jackson and Freeman has been over achievers because they hit FA, so not too sure about their level next year. Mathis and Walden should stay too of course, but a pass rusher in both FA and draft looks like a given. Not sure about back ups at ILB, but we also have great needs at O-Line and CB, so that is down the list if Jackson or Freeman is resigned. 

It'd be dumb to get rid of Mathis. Like Gavin said he has 7.5 sacks in a limited amount of snaps. We need to cut Cole and one of Werner or Newsome and sign a OLB and draft 1. Or if a really good one isn't available to sign then we should draft 2. One in the 1st round. Then another in like the 4th. We'll probably end up having to bring Free back too unless our new staff want to roll with Sio next to DQ. Or if we draft an ILB.

DQ has a major deficiency because he can't seem to cover receivers across the middle. Often he looks clueless. 

If Sio were that good, why didn't he get more playing time vs. McNary, etc.

I say keep Freeman. He is adequate against the run and more than adequate in coverage.