Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Eli Manning make the Hall of Fame?

bap1331

Having an argument with the patriots fan. He has 2 super bowls and one of them belong to the greatest super bowl of all time with the undefeated patriots. That itself in my opinion deserves a hof.

He went from being one of the biggest busts in history to doing the impossible. Lol.

It's hard to tell but let's say he retired today.

9 hours ago, bap1331 said:

Having an argument with the patriots fan. He has 2 super bowls and one of them belong to the greatest super bowl of all time with the undefeated patriots. That itself in my opinion deserves a hof.

He went from being one of the biggest busts in history to doing the impossible. Lol.

It's hard to tell but let's say he retired today.

Yes.  He deserves to be there and he will be someday.   

2 hours ago, amfootball said:

Yes. Yes. Yes. He beat the best NFL franchise of the modern era twice in the Super Bowl with historic comebacks in both games. His stats will be plenty good enough as well when he is done.

You have low standards for the hall of fame.

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

You have low standards for the hall of fame.

Namath is in there with only one SB win over the then legendary franchise Colts. Eli did it twice to the modern era legendary franchise. There is currently only one QB with 2 SB wins not in the hall - Plunkett. Eli makes it in easily. Like I said, his stats with his two rings over Pats will be plenty good enough.

10 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Namath is in there with only one SB win over the then legendary franchise Colts. Eli did it twice to the modern era legendary franchise. There is currently only one QB with 2 SB wins not in the hall - Plunkett. Eli makes it in easily. Like I said, his stats with his two rings over Pats will be plenty good enough.

His stats are nothing good and Namath is easily the worst player in the hall of fame.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I say yes. He beat the Patriots twice in the big game, once when they were undefeated. His Playoff record is Good besides those wins as well. In the end his stats will good enough too. His stats are better than Joe Namath's and Joe is in with only 1 SB win.

Namath played 40 years earlier.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I say yes. He beat the Patriots twice in the big game, once when they were undefeated. His Playoff record is Good besides those wins as well. In the end his stats will good enough too. His stats are better than Joe Namath's and Joe is in with only 1 SB win.

Namath is in for the historical significance of the win which proved the AFL teams could compete after the merger between the AFL and NFL.  The Giant victories over the Patriots were impressive but they are in no way as historically significant as the Jet victory over the Colts.

The Giant defense was the primary reason why they won those two ball games. 

1 minute ago, Blue Horseshoe said:

Namath is in for the historical significance of the win which proved the AFL teams could compete after the merger between the AFL and NFL.  The Giant victories over the Patriots were impressive but they are in no way as historically significant as the Jet victory over the Colts.

The Giant defense was the primary reason why they won those two ball games. 

I think Joe does belong but I also think Eli does too.

4 hours ago, amfootball said:

The game against the Colts was a much bigger deal.  Plus, Namath became somewhat of a cultural icon.  Winning two Super Bowls over your favorite team hardly qualifies one for entrance to the HOF.

24 minutes ago, BOTT said:

The game against the Colts was a much bigger deal.  Plus, Namath became somewhat of a cultural icon.  Winning two Super Bowls over your favorite team hardly qualifies one for entrance to the HOF.

Eli will make the HoF. Those two wins are historic beating the Pats and preventing the perfect season on top. He was a money playoff player on top beating the Packers twice those years and the top seeded Cowboys and Niners as well all on the road. His stats are plenty good enough. I am not sure why this is even a question honestly. Perhaps the idea that most would take him over Peyton in the post-season?? I don't get it. He is pretty much a lock IMO.

2 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Eli will make the HoF. Those two wins are historic beating the Pats and preventing the perfect season on top. He was a money playoff player on top beating the Packers twice those years and the top seeded Cowboys and Niners as well all on the road. His stats are plenty good enough. I am not sure why this is even a question honestly. Perhaps the idea that most would take him over Peyton in the post-season?? I don't get it. He is pretty much a lock IMO.

So he had two great runs and this justifies a HOF career?  The second win was hardly historic.  The Pats were good, but far from great.....they were lucky to be there after being outplayed by the Ravens in the AFC championship game.

other than Namath, name a QB in the hall that isn't better than Eli.  He may get in, with the NY angle helping, but he is far from a lock.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

So he had two great runs and this justifies a HOF career?  The second win was hardly historic.  The Pats were good, but far from great.....they were lucky to be there after being outplayed by the Ravens in the AFC championship game.

other than Namath, name a QB in the hall that isn't better than Eli.  He may get in, with the NY angle helping, but he is far from a lock.

Troy Aikman.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually agree, I think Ben is better too but some people even question whether or not he is a HOFamer is why I brought him up.

I'd put him on the bubble but if he continues putting up 4000 yard seasons I think it looks good for him.  He needs more Pro Bowls and an MVP couldn't hurt.  The fact that they are still winning even though the defense is a shadow of what it used to be is a huge plus for him.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Troy Aikman is a Top 15 QB of all-time and even arguably a Top 10. Eli is a HOFamer but not better than Troy. Troy's stats aren't mindboggling but it's because Smith got a ton of Yards. That Cowboys team was run first.

Eli blows Aikman away in terms of stats. And Eli did not have dynastic team comprised of one of the best Olines, RB and WR in NFL history to get his rings. I believe Aikman deserves to be in the Hall but by the same token so does Eli more so.

4 hours ago, amfootball said:

Phil Simms, also on the NY Giants, is NOT in with a Super Bowl win, but has 2 rings and -

Super Bowl MVP (1) (1987)
Pro Bowl MVP (1) (1985)
Pro Bowl Selections (2) (1985 & 1993)
Super Bowl Rings (2) (New York Giants, Super Bowl XXI and Super Bowl XXV)

Simms started 15 games in 1990, but broke his foot in game 15 against the Bills.  Hostetler took over that and the last regular season game, as well as playoffs and Super Bowl.  So Simms did the bulk of the work, but Hostetler won the SB game.So I call it 2 Rings, for Simms, but one SB started/won.

But Eli is better than Plunkett and Simms.  And has better career numbers and more consistency in his career. Eli  is also putting up incredible numbers recently (last 2 years or so) despite his team backpedaling down the W-L record chart, and just might be the low level benchmark for two time Super Bowl champ QB's to get in. We'll  see.