Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archie Manning For Gm?thoughts?

He might be a good fit for our organization,and Irsay is comfortable with him.

IMO....Archie Manning is a meddling conniver and the professional sports equivalent of that irritating little league dad who won't leave the team manager to do his job and embarrasses his kid with interference and a ridiculous shell of overprotection.

AND THEY'RE GROWN MEN ARCHIE!!!!

I love what Peyton Manning has done for the Colts in his career....but quite honestly....I'm sick and tired of ANYTHING Archie Manning has to say let alone the thought of him running the Colts front office.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Angelo? Have we even interviewed him?

And Irsay is not going to be the GM. He already tried that and aknowledged he wasn't the right guy for the job a long time ago.

What exactly is it that you think Archie will contribute, aside from being completely unlikely to cut or trade his son?

Can't you read Jaric, he knows people in the organization AND he's been involved with the organization.

I don't know why that precludes Bob Lamey for consideration, or Mike Chappell, Bob Kravitz, or Phil B., who all know people in the organization, so perhaps we should broaden our search.

Jerry Angelo? Have we even interviewed him?

And Irsay is not going to be the GM. He already tried that and aknowledged he wasn't the right guy for the job a long time ago.

What exactly is it that you think Archie will contribute, aside from being completely unlikely to cut or trade his son?

HAHAHA!Yes,i don't think peyton would get canned then.I just think he has a nose for talent,so maybe he would make a good GM.

Can't you read Jaric, he knows people in the organization AND he's been involved with the organization.

I don't know why that precludes Bob Lamey for consideration, or Mike Chappell, Bob Kravitz, or Phil B., who all know people in the organization, so perhaps we should broaden our search.

I stand corrected it seems.

Irsay already said it might be a surprise type pick.What he means by that...no body knows.

Irsay already said it might be a surprise type pick.What he means by that...no body knows.

It's far more likely he was refering to the guy from the CFL rather than himself. If we wanted to make himself GM, why wouldn't he have just done it now. It's not like he needs to interview himself or anything.

IMO....Archie Manning is a meddling conniver and the professional sports equivalent of that irritating little league dad who won't leave the team manager to do his job and embarrasses his kid with interference and a ridiculous shell of overprotection.

AND THEY'RE GROWN MEN ARCHIE!!!!

I love what Peyton Manning has done for the Colts in his career....but quite honestly....I'm sick and tired of ANYTHING Archie Manning has to say let alone the thought of him running the Colts front office.

I don't see that at all. He has his own relationships with companies, awards, functions that he sponsors and promotes, thus the reason for being interviewed. People would bash him if he said he didn't have a comment when asked about Eli & the Giants playoff push, or if said he didn't have a comment about Peyton's injury or future. These radio guys are calling him to come on the air. He's far from that type of a father. The media spins things and he has been accurate in each of his interviews.

I don't see that at all. He has his own relationships with companies, awards, functions that he sponsors and promotes, thus the reason for being interviewed. People would bash him if he said he didn't have a comment when asked about Eli & the Giants playoff push, or if said he didn't have a comment about Peyton's injury or future. These radio guys are calling him to come on the air. He's far from that type of a father. The media spins things and he has been accurate in each of his interviews.

Oh.....so if Peyton and Eli weren't NFL QBs or Peyton's situation wasn't what it is the media would still be interested in Archie's opinion??? :lol:

Look.....you're entitled to your opinion but any way you slice it Archie was the engine that drove the trade of Eli out of San Diego when they drafted him and then were forced to trade him.

Was it legal under the rules? Sure.....but its still a bullcrap move that smacks of entitlement, and his comments about Luck and Peyton on the same roster DID NOT do us any favors.

I don't begrudge a father for wanting to see his sons do well....but Archie steps over the line.

Oh.....so if Peyton and Eli weren't NFL QBs or Peyton's situation wasn't what it is the media would still be interested in Archie's opinion??? :lol:

Look.....you're entitled to your opinion but any way you slice it Archie was the engine that drove the trade of Eli out of San Diego when they drafted him and then were forced to trade him.

Was it legal under the rules? Sure.....but its still a bullcrap move that smacks of entitlement, and his comments about Luck and Peyton on the same roster DID NOT do us any favors.

I don't begrudge a father for wanting to see his sons do well....but Archie steps over the line.

He would still be involved with the Sugar Bowl, the Manning Award, the coach of the year award that he's associated with. So yes he would still be being interviewed. There might not be a Manning Award if none of his sons played college football. Would they ask him questions about Eli if he were coaching high school football or if Peyton was some guy in marketing, of course not, but in the SEC, the South and Louisiana he's still a name brand in his own right.

If I were a radio host, I'd have to ask him about Eli and Peyton, just as the people that interviewed Jack Harbaugh ask him about Jim & John, would he be relevant if Jim & Jack weren't NFL coaches? Only in his area of the world where he coached.

I'm sure Archie had his hand in the Eli/NYG/SD business, but from everything I've read it was Eli's choice. I would also say it's been vindicated. His comments didn't do us any favors and they didn't hurt us. He's been right in everything he has said about Luck/Peyton.

He would still be involved with the Sugar Bowl, the Manning Award, the coach of the year award that he's associated with. So yes he would still be being interviewed. There might not be a Manning Award if none of his sons played college football. Would they ask him questions about Eli if he were coaching high school football or if Peyton was some guy in marketing, of course not, but in the SEC, the South and Louisiana he's still a name brand in his own right.

If I were a radio host, I'd have to ask him about Eli and Peyton, just as the people that interviewed Jack Harbaugh ask him about Jim & John, would he be relevant if Jim & Jack weren't NFL coaches? Only in his area of the world where he coached.

I'm sure Archie had his hand in the Eli/NYG/SD business, but from everything I've read it was Eli's choice. I would also say it's been vindicated. His comments didn't do us any favors and they didn't hurt us. He's been right in everything he has said about Luck/Peyton.

Archie has worked in the media since he retired, including being the Saints color guy for pre-season games for a while, and has worked for CBS covering the SEC for years. So I agree with you 100% if his sons hadn't come along Archie would still be in the media. He would just sticking to talking SEC and college QBs and would probably viewed as another talking head who used to play QB.

Archie has worked in the media since he retired, including being the Saints color guy for pre-season games for a while, and has worked for CBS covering the SEC for years. So I agree with you 100% if his sons hadn't come along Archie would still be in the media. He would just sticking to talking SEC and college QBs and would probably viewed as another talking head who used to play QB.

Without Peyton & Eli in the NFL, he might have even expanded his role with CBS to do NFL games, or have a larger role than he has in the college game. It's really hard to say.

He might be a good fit for our organization,and Irsay is comfortable with him.

Wow.

So let's just get it out in the open: you worship the Mannings and everything that they do.

What on EARTH has Archie done that has trained him to be a GM? Anything at all?

Didn't think so.

Some people think it was his opinion that help them land drew brees(unconfirmed source).

For New Orleans? He must be a genius.

Personally I "discovered" Drew Brees in 2004 when he dropped 31 points and 3 TDs in a thrilling Colts win. He had a 104+ QB rating that year - one of the best QBs in the league and rising. The only issue when he was a FA was whether or not his injury was a problem. I'm not sure what Archie would have had to do with that, unless he also has a medical degree.

I'm hoping that the purpose of this thread is simply to :stir: . The Colts are comparison shopping amoungst several 35-45 year old career talent evaluators with growing administrative experience (which makes perfect sense) not randomly grasping at people with familiar names (which makes none).

Posted · Hidden by Zebra3, January 10, 2012 - replied to a post remoed due to politics
Hidden by Zebra3, January 10, 2012 - replied to a post remoed due to politics

I think Dick Cheney would be a good fit after Polian

I want his good hunting buddy Bob Knight!If he promises not to shoot anyone, hey on second thought , go get Bob!
Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, January 10, 2012 - Reference to a former poster
Hidden by Coltssouth, January 10, 2012 - Reference to a former poster

Maybe jaric would be a good fit!Just don't hire fisher as coach though.

Off topic here... Is anyone else kreeped out by this guys avatar?

Posted · Hidden by Zebra3, January 10, 2012 - reply to posts removed due to politics
Hidden by Zebra3, January 10, 2012 - reply to posts removed due to politics

I want his good hunting buddy Bob Knight!If he promises not to shoot anyone, hey on second thought , go get Bob!

We just got rid of a Bob Knight. No thanks!!!!!!!!!

Posted · Hidden by Zebra3, January 10, 2012 - personal comment about other poster's avatar
Hidden by Zebra3, January 10, 2012 - personal comment about other poster's avatar

Maybe jaric would be a good fit!Just don't hire fisher as coach though.

Off topic here.... Its anyone else kreeped out by this guys avatar?

He's worked within the saints organization for years.He's always been apart of front office work,so its not a stretch of the imagination.

Can you provide a link of where it says he has been part of the Saints front office? On Wikipedia, all it says under his post-NFL Career is that he's done some commentating/analyst work for some football games, did a thing for UPS, helped with Katrina relief, and runs the Manning Passing Academy. There's no mention of any front office work with any team.