Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton has handled things well

oldunclemark

Looks like Brock Osweiler will start for the Broncos against Pittsburgh in Week 15 . No comment from Osweiler or Peyton Manning yet but more than once Denver web site says its Brock.  Some has suggested that Manning's injury had a one month rehab time which means he'd return vs. Cincinnati Dec. 28. We'll see.

I like the way you don't hear from Peyton. No daily or weekly updates on his injury. No comments on how Brock is playing.

Surely he hears many calling for him to give up and quit.  But he says nothing at all because nothing cant be easily misconstrued or twisted.

Any comments he makes puts added pressure on Kubiak and any updates he gives puts pressure on Brock, who he's spoken very highly of in the past..

As much as it must hurt not to be able to play, especially after a loss, and to hear in the media how the team is better off without him, Peyton is doing the right thing for all concerned by saying nothing.

When he comes back, his play will be his say.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton knows that the Broncos will be in no man's land and have a clear distraction on their hands if he were to say "anything" at all. Kubiak, IMO, is in over his head trying how to resurrect the offense. He has the QB for it but Elway's lack of OL moves in the offseason has this team hurting for offense, no matter who is QB. 

The point isn't at all Elway or Gary Kubiak or what's wrong with the Broncos, its about Peyton.

Here's a player who never missed a game except for his neck surgery season. He spoke to the media mid week  before every single game. He held a press conference after every game. For over a decade.

He was the face of 2 franchises.

Now, by choice, he is staying out of it until he is (as he soon may be) back on the field. No one seems to be getting his words on or off camera at a time when questions swirl and some who complimented him for almost 2 decades are almost reveling in his struggles. Peyton could easily 'comment' through family, teammates or friends but, unless I have missed it, he has said nothing and allowed nothing to be said.

He chooses to let nothing 'leak' out until his play can speak for him..  Its a strong play.

13 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

The point isn't at all Elway or Gary Kubiak or what's wrong with the Broncos, its about Peyton.

Here's a player who never missed a game except for his neck surgery season. He spoke to the media mid week  before every single game. He held a press conference after every game. For over a decade.

He was the face of 2 franchises.

Now, by choice, he is staying out of it until he is (as he soon may be) back on the field. No one seems to be getting his words on or off camera at a time when questions swirl and some who complimented him for almost 2 decades are almost reveling in his struggles. Peyton could easily 'comment' through family, teammates or friends but, unless I have missed it, he has said nothing and allowed nothing to be said.

He chooses to let nothing 'leak' out until his play can speak for him..  Its a strong play.

A strong play? It's the only play he has. He has spent his whole career building a humble, common man's persona around himself. He can't afford to tarnish that persona at this point in his career when he has very little left to gain. Even when he has played he has been absolutely dreadful. The Broncos probably are better off with Osweiler at this point. What's Peyton supposed to do? What's there to leak? For over a season now we've seen the same level of play from him. He is who he is at this point in his career. His play, if he gets the opportunity, will be what it has been all year.

See these topics are the equivalent of certain Tom Brady topics. Let's make a random post talking about Peyton Manning's character and try to make it relevant to the next game. Unlike Brady, Manning's character/legacy/whatever isn't in question though. All this does is let the Pats fans here smell fear.

You're making my point.

When some suggest he has 'built an image' and he's been 'absolutely dreadful' or that he's only interested in what 'he has to gain' he simply lets silence comment. Very strong.

Peyton could easily speak through many media connections. His play dominated the win over Green Bay just a month ago and he was strong in the loss to Indy. He hasn't been dreadful all year and he knows it. Peyton could comment on his injuries. He could vow to get back on the field and return to the Super Bowl for the 4th time. He could tell all how he feels to be out.

But any comment casts shade on his coaches or Brock.  So Peyton resists and rehabs.

Its very admirable.

BC;

I think it takes a strong man to be silent when everything abut him is being questioned and his character

is being questioned. Especially someone with Peyton's character, career and accomplishments.

Its very, very difficult to say nothing.

Its nothing less than I should have expected but it should be noted

There was talk in the media that Peyton wasnt supporting Brock because he didnt (was told not to) travel to Chicago.

It stopped when Brock said that he gave him some advice/plays at halftime of the NE game. Remember?

Peyton said nothing because anything could be twisted.

It was smart, I thought.

Peyton has handled things poorly if you ask me. 

First off, he refused to help Brock at all. Then rumors popped up trying to give Peyton all the credit for Brock's success vs NE. This kid beat the undefeated Pats in the wind and snow, and he couldn't even get credit for it.

Second off, Manning immediately stated he was ready to play for another team next year if he had to. 

And finally third, Brock has one bad game, and everyone wants Manning back even though he's played horrendous this year. Manning was on pace for 30 interceptions before he was benched. I know it's hard telling you all this cause you people love the man even when past his prime, but he's not the same lethal quarterback he used to be. He's not Brett Favre, he can barely throw a pass and he's not even 40 yet. Not every QB is going to age as well as Favre did. 

I think he needs to just retire. At this point, he'll do nothing but hurt his team, as he did back when he was the starter. Brock has out played him tremendously at this point, and if they go back to Manning, I'll lose what little respect I had for Kubiak to begin with. 

1 hour ago, Bogie said:

First off, he refused to help Brock at all. Then rumors popped up trying to give Peyton all the credit for Brock's success vs NE. This kid beat the undefeated Pats in the wind and snow, and he couldn't even get credit for it.

Second off, Manning immediately stated he was ready to play for another team next year if he had to. 

And finally third, Brock has one bad game, and everyone wants Manning back even though he's played horrendous this year. Manning was on pace for 30 interceptions before he was benched. I know it's hard telling you all this cause you people love the man even when past his prime, but he's not the same lethal quarterback he used to be. He's not Brett Favre, he can barely throw a pass and he's not even 40 yet. Not every QB is going to age as well as Favre did. 

I think he needs to just retire. At this point, he'll do nothing but hurt his team, as he did back when he was the starter. Brock has out played him tremendously at this point, and if they go back to Manning, I'll lose what little respect I had for Kubiak to begin with. 

I can't speak to Peyton's working relationship with Brock on a personal level since I'm not in the film room with them as QBs inside the building, but if there's any validity to a rumor that Manning is somehow uncooperative toward Brock that's not good. If I was unhappy with how Favre reacted to mentoring Rogers, I can't ignore a similar rift between Manning & Osweiler either. I find it difficult to believe that 18 would ever act so childish. It's way out of his character & upbringing. I suppose anybody's pride can be hurt after they have been a franchise QB at such a high level for so long & once a man realizes that his body isn't allowing an athlete to stay healthy anymore, it's only natural to be frustrated now I guess. I have no proof of any of this naturally. 

I do agree Bogie that this season needs to be his last in the league & that he'd be foolish to even try & play for another team after this year. If he attempts to do that, the experience won't end well for either him or his fans across the globe. Time to think about a 2nd career choice Peyton. You'd be a fine football analyst on TV. Stay away from coaching & just enjoy being a dad to your kids. You've earned it. 

1 hour ago, Bogie said:

I can't speak to Peyton's working relationship with Brock on a personal level since I'm not in the film room with them as QBs inside the building, but if there's any validity to a rumor that Manning is somehow uncooperative toward Brock that's not good. If I was unhappy with how Favre reacted to mentoring Rogers, I can't ignore a similar rift between Manning & Osweiler either. I find it difficult to believe that 18 would ever act so childish. It's way out of his character & upbringing. I suppose anybody's pride can be hurt after they have been a franchise QB at such a high level for so long & once a man realizes that his body isn't allowing an athlete to stay healthy anymore, it's only natural to be frustrated now I guess. I have no proof of any of this naturally. 

I do agree Bogie that this season needs to be his last in the league & that he'd be foolish to even try & play for another team after this year. If he attempts to do that, the experience won't end well for either him or his fans across the globe. Time to think about a 2nd career choice Peyton. You'd be a fine football analyst on TV. Stay away from coaching & just enjoy being a dad to your kids. You've earned it. 

Who really knows how Peyton has handled things. I can't imagine it has been easy for him. When Bledsoe was sat down in 2001 he never said a word publicly prompting most Pats fans to admire how well he was handling things. Then Michael Holly's book "Patriot Reign" published a few years later and we learned Bledsoe was not such a great teammate or handling things well behind the scenes.

That all being said, it is Kubiak that is dancing a tight rope here. There was a story in Denver this week about the locker room splitting between the offense and the defense. The defense has been carrying this team ALL year long and it senses the uncertainty at the QB position. That being said, Brock can run Kubiak system better than Manning and has outperformed Manning. He did nothing in the Raiders game IMO to lose his job but Kubiak is in a precarious situation if he sits a healthy Manning. So there is the rub. If he is not careful he will head down the same path O'Brien did with Houston and the musical QBs which is never good for a team.

One other note. KC is only two games behind Denver with a favorable schedule. They can steal the division from them if they win out and Denver loses two more games which could happen given they are at Pitt and then host Cincy. So the pressure is on to not lose a home playoff game and end up a WC.

On 12/16/2015 at 0:39 AM, Bogie said:

First off, he refused to help Brock at all. Then rumors popped up trying to give Peyton all the credit for Brock's success vs NE. This kid beat the undefeated Pats in the wind and snow, and he couldn't even get credit for it

Brock Osweiler was the one to start the "rumors" about Peyton helping. No one else said it. It was Brock himself. When asked what changes he made he said Peyton gave him info at halftime, and they both talked the adjustments.

On 12/16/2015 at 0:39 AM, Bogie said:

Secondly no one reported this story except Florio, and he changed his tune instantly when everyone called him out for making such outlandish claims.

Please get your facts straight.

7 hours ago, Bogie said:

Literally none of that nonsense is true.    Keep up the good work

I agree with Mark that Peyton has handled things well, but then again he always does.

Anyone that thinks otherwise, has an obvious axe to grind.

And on that note... I'll take Peyton's lead and remain silent on the subject until he takes the field again.

Cheers.

19 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

See these topics are the equivalent of certain Tom Brady topics. Let's make a random post talking about Peyton Manning's character and try to make it relevant to the next game. Unlike Brady, Manning's character/legacy/whatever isn't in question though. All this does is let the Pats fans here smell fear.

Exactly. It's groundhog day too with some stuff.......

11 hours ago, Gramz said:

I agree with Mark that Peyton has handled things well, but then again he always does.

Anyone that thinks otherwise, has an obvious axe to grind.

And on that note... I'll take Peyton's lead and remain silent on the subject until he takes the field again.

Cheers.

Well said..... Gramz....

Peyton was back at practice in Denver Wednesday

Most real Broncos fans actually do prefer Brock, I read their forums a few times. It's just a small group who is still hoping Peyton still has this big SB run in him out of nostalgia. 

If the Broncos go to NE they will not win with Peyton and we all know this.

Brock is going to lose some games.......but at least he looks under 50 years old and can throw past 7 feet.

9 minutes ago, Jules said:

Most real Broncos fans actually do prefer Brock, I read their forums a few times. It's just a small group who is still hoping Peyton still has this big SB run in him out of nostalgia. 

If the Broncos go to NE they will not win with Peyton and we all know this.

Brock is going to lose some games.......but at least he looks under 50 years old and can throw past 7 feet.

What is a real broncos fan? 

You have to go with Peyton if you want to win a playoff game

Jules..under Brock...the Broncos have scored 17, (30 in OT) 17 and 15

Have you really watched those games closely...?  Brock is struggling.

But  6 weeks ago in a high pressure showdown...Manning was dominant in a 29-10 win

over undefeated Green Bay. Denver beats the Colts if they get the ball back in the final 6 minutes.

He threw for 62-0 yards I those 2 games ,,.with an injured foot that, reports say. he no longer has

With the entire season on the line, I would not even consider starting a QB who is making his 8th or 9th NFL start over a guy who's played in 3 Super Bowls and is 7-2 this year..

If his name wasn't Peyton Manning, I think you would, too.

This topic is just what I suggested it'd be, and the defenders of the faith get more defensive with each jab which only gives the attackers more ammo.

But I'll take a stab at it anyway...it's not even that big a deal that the Broncos are choosing Brock. They have nothing against Peyton just like 49ers had nothing against Montana when they were ready for some new blood there.

20 hours ago, Bogie said:

Lack of Manning co-operation topic was discussed in detail previously without any base and it was squashed at an emphatic fashion.

You spit your baseless comments at that time and continue to find a way to post wrong information. Giving your opinion is one thing and make a statement as true is another.

One good news is you are consistent with your garbage irrespective of topic.

On 12/15/2015 at 6:56 PM, oldunclemark said:

Looks like Brock Osweiler will start for the Broncos against Pittsburgh in Week 15 . No comment from Osweiler or Peyton Manning yet but more than once Denver web site says its Brock.  Some has suggested that Manning's injury had a one month rehab time which means he'd return vs. Cincinnati Dec. 28. We'll see.

I like the way you don't hear from Peyton. No daily or weekly updates on his injury. No comments on how Brock is playing.

Surely he hears many calling for him to give up and quit.  But he says nothing at all because nothing cant be easily misconstrued or twisted.

Any comments he makes puts added pressure on Kubiak and any updates he gives puts pressure on Brock, who he's spoken very highly of in the past..

As much as it must hurt not to be able to play, especially after a loss, and to hear in the media how the team is better off without him, Peyton is doing the right thing for all concerned by saying nothing.

When he comes back, his play will be his say.

Of course, you would not expect him to handle any different.

When he gets his opportunity, if he throws those fade away step back ducks at 5 miles velocity again, he should do all of us a favor including himself by retiring. 

He is the GOAT, nothing changes that.

3 minutes ago, Shane Bond said:

Of course, you would not expect him to handle any different.

When he gets his opportunity, if he throws those fade away step back ducks at 5 miles velocity again, he should do all of us a favor including himself by retiring. 

He is the GOAT, nothing changes that.

He'll come back, Shane..and he'll play like he did against GB and against us here in Indy.

His last 2 games before he could barely walk against KCs.

He wont tell you. he'll show you

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton

I would take Brock easily and I hope this guy is a good playoff QB since lets face it......Peyton isn't. I want to see the young guys get going for the future too.

I am not laughing at you btw 2006, I respect you a lot as a poster and we have had good chats. But, some of the comments and fans here getting all worked up make me shake my head.......

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

You have to go with Peyton if you want to win a playoff game

In what universe has Peyton often been the guy who has been known for automatic playoff wins? I am honestly curious why more don't want to see what Brock can do in the playoffs when it's all on the line......

Do we want Denver to win here or do we want to just see Peyton?

4 minutes ago, Jules said:

I would take Brock easily and I hope this guy is a good playoff QB since lets face it......Peyton isn't. I want to see the young guys get going for the future too.

I am not laughing at you btw 2006, I respect you a lot as a poster and we have had good chats. But, some of the comments and fans here getting all worked up make me shake my head.......

I just say roll with the HOFame QB if he's healthy of course. The Broncos fans in general aren't very sharp because a lot of them still want Tim Tebow as their QB if that tells you anything about a lot of their fanbase. That sounds mean but it's unbelievably true!

3 minutes ago, Jules said:

In what universe has Peyton often been the guy who has been known for automatic playoff wins? I am honestly curious why more don't want to see what Brock can do in the playoffs when it's all on the line......

Do we want Denver to win here or do we want to just see Peyton?

Pretty sure he has been to 3 superbowls

I just hope the Broncos coaches don't make any knee jerk reactions. If they had an ounce of sense, instead of trying to force feed the pistol, they would have either run the Peyton system or let Peyton go in the offseason rolling the dice on a young Brock who would have been playing with house money and a very good D. If the same 10-3 had been accomplished with Brock, we'd be singing his praises like that of Big Ben in his first year with the Steelers, that is all I am saying. 

To me, their OL is in shambles and if Peyton comes back, they will give him a quick exit to his retirement, I am certain. Experience and guile without being able to execute the whole playbook only takes you so far. There might be lumps that Brock might take in the short term but if Elway and the Broncos think long term, you ride it out with Brock, IMO. The only way it changes is if Brock struggles mightily vs the Steelers and Bengals and the Broncos lose those games, IMO. 

I am not going to get into those nasty rumors about Peyton and he said she said stuff, it has been hashed before. Peyton laying low recently is good for everyone, and that is where we should leave it.