Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Manning Goes....we Are The Browns

oldunclemark

No disrespect...

but if Mannng is no longre with us...there is no advantage to keeping the players that he works with best

...like Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark and Austin Collie..

Manning's edge is his unspoken connection and personal code with his receivers..

No other QB will have that relationship which took years to develop..

..So to move Manning means we move 4 or 5 other players and we watch the playoffs for a couple of years.

Right?

No disrespect...

but if Mannng is no longre with us...there is no advantage to keeping the players that he works with best

...like Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark and Austin Collie..

Manning's edge is his unspoken connection and personal code with his receivers..

No other QB will have that relationship which took years to develop..

..So to move Manning means we move 4 or 5 other players and we watch the playoffs for a couple of years.

Right?

You are a barrel of laughs

Remember Manning's rookie year? 3-13 wasn't it. How did that same team do the second year? 13-3 wasn't it.

Come now folks, lets show a little optimism for this teams future; Manning or no Manning, Luck or no Luck.

If Manning is released before the "pay date", or if we draft Luck and he ends up starting this year or in the next 2, I have confidence that we will be fine. Luck is the type of quarterback that like Manning will work on developing that perfect timing with his receivers.

Will we go into the playoff in Lucks first year starting? Maybe, maybe not. Manning didn't and look how his career turned out.

Remember Manning's rookie year? 3-13 wasn't it. How did that same team do the second year? 13-3 wasn't it.

Come now folks, lets show a little optimism for this teams future; Manning or no Manning, Luck or no Luck.

If Manning is released before the "pay date", or if we draft Luck and he ends up starting this year or in the next 2, I have confidence that we will be fine. Luck is the type of quarterback that like Manning will work on developing that perfect timing with his receivers.

Will we go into the playoff in Lucks first year starting? Maybe, maybe not. Manning didn't and look how his career turned out.

People seem to forget Manning wasn't very good his 1st season.

Dude we'll have the Golden God of football, the Savior of the NFL, the only player who is entered in HOF while he is currently playing, and he gets voted in on draft day, cause there is no need for him to even take a snap. Luck oh Mighty!!!!!

Colts don't even need to walk on the field, cause we are already being handed the lombardi for next 15 years just because we drafted Luck!!!

England is already in the works of changing "God save the queen" to "Luck save the queen"

New dollar reads Luck bless America rolls out in April

All chuck Norris quotes will be changed to Luck!!!

We rule the NFL for next 40 years cause Luck is so amazing he'll be winning in his 60's!!!

Dude we'll have the Golden God of football, the Savior of the NFL, the only player who is entered in HOF while he is currently playing, and he gets voted in on draft day, cause there is no need for him to even take a snap. Luck oh Mighty!!!!!

Colts don't even need to walk on the field, cause we are already being handed the lombardi for next 15 years just because we drafted Luck!!!

England is already in the works of changing "God save the queen" to "Luck save the queen"

We rule the NFL for next 40 years cause Luck is so amazing he'll be winning in his 60's!!!

Yawn...

I almost didn't click on this thread because the title is ridiculous, but I had to.

We are nowhere near the Browns. People need to understand that the leaders of this orginization (Irsay! and his staff) will never let the team be the Browns. There's a winning culture that comes down from the top and will continue for the Colts. We might not be the 14-2 yearly sqaud that we are use to, but we will not be the 2-14 group we saw this year. You think if Manning doesn't play next year that their isn't a plan. Luck already makes us better than we were this year. I'm not saying he's the complete answer, but I have faith that the people who run this team.

Colts will continue to be competitive. I'm not worried...

That may have had as much to do with the drafting of Edge. He lead the league in rushing for his first two seasons.

True, I can't argue the drafting of Edge being a key factor in that historic 3-13 to 13-3 turn around.

Simply, I am trying to express that Manning had a rough start to his career, but things turned out great.

I almost didn't click on this thread because the title is ridiculous, but I had to.

We are nowhere near the Browns. People need to understand that the leaders of this orginization (Irsay! and his staff) will never let the team be the Browns. There's a winning culture that comes down from the top and will continue for the Colts. We might not be the 14-2 yearly sqaud that we are use to, but we will not be the 2-14 group we saw this year. You think if Manning doesn't play next year that their isn't a plan. Luck already makes us better than we were this year. I'm not saying he's the complete answer, but I have faith that the people who run this team.

Colts will continue to be competitive. I'm not worried...

Let me try again..my point seems to have been missed.

Nobody's talking about forever...but

The end for Manning means that the veteran players..mostly unsigned will not return/.

..not to mention the unsigned defenders.

That's not just a reboot..its a total reconstruction

. along with a rookie QB, we will have rookies or free agents at those other positions as well.

So bringing in a new QB (however you feel about doing it) creates 4 or 5 holes, not just one...That's what I'm saying

The Colts wont be competitive NEXT SEASON with those 5 players gone...right?

82..no.... we wont go to the playoffs next year without Manning,. Saturday, Wayne, Clark etc..

and they are tied at the hip (maybe at the wallet)

This is not a critique of Luck....its just reality

We've also been extremely spoiled as Colts fans. I do not believe that there has ever been a quarterback in the history of the game that has as much control of the play calling that Manning has. There may never be another like him, but nobody knows for sure of course. I don't think its fair to say that if the next Colt's QB doesn't produce at least similar results as Manning that his career is a failure.

We've also been extremely spoiled as Colts fans. I do not believe that there has ever been a quarterback in the history of the game that has as much control of the play calling that Manning has. There may never be another like him, but nobody knows for sure of course. I don't think its fair to say that if the next Colt's QB doesn't produce at least similar results as Manning that his career is a failure.

very true..and again..the next Colts QB wont have Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Jeff Saturday.

...they will go with Manning...

That will not leave us much next year offensively

82..no.... we wont go to the playoffs next year without Manning,. Saturday, Wayne, Clark etc..

and they are tied at the hip (maybe at the wallet)

This is not a critique of Luck....its just reality

Though its not impossible for rookie quarterbacks to lead their teams to the playoffs. Look at Andy Dalton, Tim Tebow, and Yates. Unlikely yes, but impossible? No.

Whenever Luck ends up starting, do I expect him to lead us to a winning record, divisional crown, and playoff berth his first time? Not at all.

very true..and again..the next Colts QB wont have Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Jeff Saturday.

The offensive productiveness that Manning enjoys with Wayne, Clark, Saturday (and previously with Harrison, Edge, etc) is the result of years and countless hours of practice and more practice after practice, and running through entire route trees before every game. That doesn't happen overnight. I know that when the next QB comes in that he won't have that kind of Manning-like productivity with his receivers, tight ends, backs, and linemen. But like Manning, through countless hours of practice practice practice, he can develop it.

Though its not impossible for rookie quarterbacks to lead their teams to the playoffs. Look at Andy Dalton, Tim Tebow, and Yates. Unlikely yes, but impossible? No.

Whenever Luck ends up starting, do I expect him to lead us to a winning record, divisional crown, and playoff berth his first time? Not at all.

Its not at all impossible for Andrew Luck or RG3 to lead us to the playoffs...

..but it will be almost impossible without the core of our offense..who will leave with Manning...

..and since we will not have a 2nd No.1 draft choice to rebuild with

Andy Dalton made it to the playoffs with a bunch of rookies and 2 year players. Andrew Luck is supposed to be better than Andy Dalton and the Colts organization as a whole is supposed to be better than the Bengals. The Browns are the Browns because......We actually started rebuilding last draft with our O-line and D-line. This year we add the QB and a receiver and/or corner and we're back in the saddle.

The offensive productiveness that Manning enjoys with Wayne, Clark, Saturday (and previously with Harrison, Edge, etc) is the result of years and countless hours of practice and more practice after practice, and running through entire route trees before every game. That doesn't happen overnight. I know that when the next QB comes in that he won't have that kind of Manning-like productivity with his receivers, tight ends, backs, and linemen. But like Manning, through countless hours of practice practice practice, he can develop it.

...agreed...over years..he can...

...with manning..we are keeping the old gang..and trying for a last hurrah...

with Luck or RG3....we must bring in ''his' Dallas Clark or 'his' Reggie Wayne..and that mnay take 2 or 3 years...

When some say..pass the torch from Manning and .'be realistic' and 'accept the inevitable' next year...

being realistic is 6-10 next year

I can't wait till we take Luck and the old guys move on and we rebuild for the next few years while you cry in the corner "for the better days". LOL

enjoy your misery alone. Luck is ours, Manning is all but done, TIME TO ACCEPT AND START SUPPORTING THE NEW KID.

3-13 with Manning, remember? 4-12 next year is my prediction, and I and mostly everyone here would be ok with that. it takes a few years, and then we are SB contenders again. your problem is you don't want that dropoff to happen, and you don't want to see us lose Wayne/Mathis/Clark/Manning etc. because you think they can still contribute.

by the way, Saturday was going to retire after this season whether Peyton played or not. He said as much before the season started. He may or may not change his mind, but at least accept one retirement. LOL

...agreed...over years..he can...

...with manning..we are keeping the old gang..and trying for a last hurrah...

with Luck or RG3....we must bring in ''his' Dallas Clark or 'his' Reggie Wayne..and that mnay take 2 or 3 years...

When some say..pass the torch from Manning and .'be realistic' and 'accept the inevitable' next year...

being realistic is 6-10 next year

Oh i agree, as you said if Luck starts next year, especially without Clark or Wayne, a below .500 team is very realistic.

But, I would hope you'd agree that a season or 2 out of the playoffs does not mean the sky is falling for his franchise

But, I would hope you'd agree that a season or 2 out of the playoffs does not mean the sky is falling for his franchise

If you read most of what mark has said on this forum, he believes a couple of terrible seasons is NOT worth it. we MUST stick with Manning.

Look even if Peyton does come back he's only going to be back for probably at max four years. So this franchise better start to develop a plan for life after Manning. Rather than fighting anything that has to do with the future I think fans should look at as a plus that the Colts are starting to think about the future. Frankly drafting the guy that is being called the next Peyton Manning isn't a bad way to start preparing for life after Peyton Manning.

Oh i agree, as you said if Luck starts next year, especially without Clark or Wayne, a below .500 team is very realistic.

agreed....that's not what the post was about....but yes...

..we'll be back in a couple of years..we have some nice young O-linemen...

,,and we'll still resign young boys like Collie, Garcon (maybe. he's free too) and my man Donald Brown..and we have the No.1 pikc in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.....but

..what I was saying is....(or asking if it is understood that)....guys like Wayne, Clark, and Saturday are not coming back to play their final seasons on a rebuilding team..

..and that's our present offensive core..

that's why the Manning-Luck tag team might work because Luck could get exhibition games with those old vets

..making a transition smoother

If you read most of what mark has said on this forum, he believes a couple of terrible seasons is NOT worth it. we MUST stick with Manning.

Definetly...

I want to go for it......next year..I want the old guard for at least one more run...

But I'm not against the Manning-Luck duo....if we can appease Luck. I think it would work

exactly. so don't cry when it happens. 10 years of glory is worth a few s***** seasons.

That's easy to say until we're the ones in the toilet...

Lets go with Pey-Luck...bring the circus to town (because that's what its going to be like)

...play Luck in the four exhibition games and have him sit behind Manning for one more ride..

where's the Super Bowl in 2013??

I am ready to let go.

This is not personal and is no way a coment on what you were saying so please don't take it as such but there is something funny about that coming from someone whose icon is Al Bundy given how long Al Bundy hung on to his high school glory days.

People seem to forget Manning wasn't very good his 1st season.

Um...he set records (at the time) for completions, yards, and touchdowns, so we knew the potential was there. The interceptions were more a matter of risk, and figuring defenses out than just "not being good."

agreed....that's not what the post was about....but yes...

..we'll be back in a couple of years..we have some nice young O-linemen...

,,and we'll still resign young boys like Collie, Garcon (maybe. he's free too) and my man Donald Brown..and we have the No.1 pikc in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.....but

..what I was saying is....(or asking if it is understood that)....guys like Wayne, Clark, and Saturday are not coming back to play their final seasons on a rebuilding team..

..and that's our present offensive core..

that's why the Manning-Luck tag team might work because Luck could get exhibition games with those old vets

..making a transition smoother

Well understood and in full agreement.

However, no transition is without its speed bumps. I think Irsay would like to have a Manning-Luck tandem for a year or two in order to effect a smoother transition. Speed bumps will happen, but Irsay hopes to decrease them where possible.

You need to cut back on your medication.

This isn't even funny.

Until they legalize the cloning of humans, you're gonna have to accept that Manning's days are numbered.

Um...he set records (at the time) for completions, yards, and touchdowns, so we knew the potential was there. The interceptions were more a matter of risk, and figuring defenses out than just "not being good."

Oh I hope I never implied that Manning didn't have a very succesfull rookie year, personally speaking. My intent was to refer more to the team and the team's record his rookie year. Whoever the next Colts QB is, be it Luck or another, he could have very good rookie year and show that great potential, but the team struggle.

Definetly...

I want to go for it......next year..I want the old guard for at least one more run...

But I'm not against the Manning-Luck duo....if we can appease Luck. I think it would work

I think having a determined transition period from Manning to Luck would help with that. Be it one year or two. I hope someone can find the article, but I read how the GM of the Packers, (Ted Thompson?) made the decision to cut ties with Favre based on what was best for the franchise's future, not based on if Favre could still play. The Packers GM acknowledged in the article that he knew Favre was still capable of playing like Favre, and Irsay + the new GM may have to make that same decision.

And I also am all for giving the old guard one more shot at glory, pending Manning's health. I'd like to see Peyton, Saturday, Clark, Wayne, all sign reasonable and cap friend contracts in order to suffice a last run to glory.

Convince the key members of the "old guard" to sign cap friendly 1 or 2 year deals, and use the draft to build for the future.

I have been a Colts fan for a long time this is my first post cannot just let the manning situation go.Manning and Harrison are the reason I'am a Colts fan and I will promise if he can come back healthy we will be right back to winning and in the playoffs with a chance to win another lombardi trophy this team has never declined it is always the media telling you so peyton is the greatest QB of all time we should not be ungrateful and think all the winning we have done just happens now is the time to surround him with whatever great talent we can.

I have been a Colts fan for a long time this is my first post cannot just let the manning situation go.Manning and Harrison are the reason I'am a Colts fan and I will promise if he can come back healthy we will be right back to winning and in the playoffs with a chance to win another lombardi trophy this team has never declined it is always the media telling you so peyton is the greatest QB of all time we should not be ungrateful and think all the winning we have done just happens now is the time to surround him with whatever great talent we can.

Thanks for coming to the board and posting. It would help the understanding of your post if you used capitals at the beginning of a sentence, and periods at the end. Please continue to post!

what im not looking forward to is when we draft luck and i think he'll struggle in the preseason and we'll see "andrew luck a bust?" because of a few bad games. its gonna be bad but i think we'll have peyton and luck for the next three years..

Yeah people tend to speak without thinking a lot