Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mort: Reports Surface Of Irsay Taking Luck No Doubt (Merge)

Phil J

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he has no choice,but to report this,especially if he wants to drive-up the trade value of the pick.If in case he decides to trade it.

This is a good point but I don't think he has to come out and say it to drive value up. I think he really wants to rebuild.

Mort , schefter, stampede blue all reported it on twitter. 1070 is reporting it now. Said his father passed on elway he won't pass on luck.

That doesn't even make sense. Old man Irsay didn't pass on Elway. Elway shunned him and forced a trade. John Elway wanted no parts of that crazy old man and his rundown franchise.

I would think this must be a smokescreen,because i can't imagine why he would declare this so early before combine/proday even arrives.He must be positioning himself to hype up the value.If i'm not mistaken,couldn't he draft luck now,if he wanted?We have the overall pick.I think the dolphins did something similiar with jake long.

That doesn't even make sense. Old man Irsay didn't pass on Elway. Elway shunned him and forced a trade. John Elway wanted no parts of that crazy old man and his rundown franchise.

Irsay said it not me. Question him

I would think this must be a smokescreen,because i can't imagine why he would declare this so early before combine/proday even arrives.He must be positioning himself to hype up the value.If i'm not mistaken,couldn't he draft luck now,if he wanted?We have the overall pick.I think the dolphins did something similiar with jake long.

There is no need to hype it though. The media is doing that for him. Everyone assumed we were taking him. He is just coming out saying he is taking luck unless something crazy happens during combine.

There is no need to hype it though. The media is doing that for him. Everyone assumed we were taking him. He is just coming out saying he is taking luck unless something crazy happens during combine.

If it were me,and i loved a pick so much,then i would draft him now or as soon as possible.There's no need to wait,because we have the overall pick.But i'm not sure if he's eligible yet.

If it were me,and i loved a pick so much,then i would draft him now or as soon as possible.There's no need to wait,because we have the overall pick.But i'm not sure if he's eligible yet.

I don't think he's eligible yet. Has he officially announced he's entering draft? Didn't the whole long situation happen after combine

Irsay said it not me. Question him

I was not intending to question you. I understand that you are just passing on what you heard.

My post was directed towards the alleged statement itself which is why I bolded it. I would think Irsay would have a better grasp on history since he was there first hand to observe it. Makes me question whether he really actually made that comment or if he was quoted accurately.

Maybe,but only jim knows for sure.And as of now,he's able to run wild,because there's no 'GM' to keep him in check.

Well the previous GM didn't keep in check so why think the new one will. :lol: He is the owner the last I checked and he has the last say on everything. :highfive:

Being reported from several sources Irsay said he will use #1 pick on luck.

I agree that he will be our pick but it appears the answer is no this wont end the talk of trading the pick. Sometimes I wonder if Luck is signed and dressing for the Colts next year, rather it be as a back up or starter, if that will end the talk about it.

I agree that he will be our pick but it appears the answer is no this wont end the talk of trading the pick. Sometimes I wonder if Luck is signed and dressing for the Colts next year, rather it be as a back up or starter, if that will end the talk about it.

If luck is selected,then manning will be released.There's no way he sits.

I disagree I think it has been spelled out several times by several people that there is a way he sits.

With that said you are more than welcomed to your own opinion.

I think history has shown us that musical chairs at the quarterback position is never a good thing.And if selected,then luck would warrent consideration,if manning plays bad,especially if he has another 13 interceptions streak going.

It looks to me as though mortreport started this: https://twitter.com/...706394471964676

And that's just his opinion

I do not believe Irsay said this

The closet thing I have seen that Irsay has said is that when he did the interview before the Texans game he said in the same breath that if Peyton Manning is healthy next year he'll be Colts he said "now if a good young QB happens to be there we wont hesitate to take him."

I think Irsay is bound by the same rules Polian was that kept him from saying Luck by name on his show all season and that since Luck is under classman he can't "offically" talk about drafting him till he offically enters the NFL draft and I don't think Luck has done that yet. I know he's all but done it but I don't think he has offically done it. Also I don't know if Irsay who isn't willing to fire the head coach till the new GM is in place is going to come out and say who the top draft pick is going to be till the new GM is in place.

However, Mort seems to be well contected to the Colts and seems to be friends with Irsay and that relationship goes beyond just the Polians. So I don't think Mort would say this and present it the way he did if he didn't have some insider info that this is what we are going to do. With that said, Mort has been wrong before and I am sure will be wrong again so it's anything but a lock. However, I still get the feeling based on listening to everything that is being thrown out there it's not a question of if Andrew Luck will be a Colt next year, it's a question of if Peyton Manning will be a Colt next year.

I think history has shown us that musical chairs at the quarterback position is never a good thing.And if selected,then luck would warrent consideration,if manning plays bad,especially if he has another 13 interceptions streak going.

It wont be musical chairs, Manning will start Luck will back him up and at some point Manning will retire or we will move him in the future and Luck will become the starter. I don't think anyone is calling for them to split time as starters if we take Luck and keep Manning.

Clearly the down side to having both on the roster is that if Manning struggles at some point it does open the door for a QB controversy.

Im ready for that backlash, but more important, im ready for Andrew to take control of this team. Gonna be a shaky couple of seasons (ala 1998's 3-13), but we are gonna be right back in the thick of things. next 10 years after a 1 or 2 rough ones is gonna be fantastic.

getting my #12 jersey printed the first week in May.

It wont be musical chairs, Manning will start Luck will back him up and at some point Manning will retire or we will move him in the future and Luck will be come the starters. I don't think anyone is calling for them to split time as starters if we take Luck and keep Manning.

Clearly the down side to having both on the roster is that if Manning struggles at some point it does open the door for a QB controversy.

Perhaps the crudely laid plan is to trade Manning for picks down the road?

What I do know is this; Opposing fans/the media are going to be hating on the Colts something awful for this.