Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Fa's

SubZero

To get everyones min off of Luck heres a difference. But here are the free agents we should keep.

Need:

Pierre Garcon- He has proved to be a young threat.

Jacob Tamme- The same as Garcon.

Philip Wheeler- He has shown his skills and IMO deserves a roster spot next year.

Jeff Saturday- Has been the staple of the OL for years

Robert Mathis- He doesnt get injured and is a very consistant pass rusher

If affordable then keep

Jamaal Anderson- i like him as a good runstopper and a good inside pass rusher

Reggie Wayne- have always loved him but with Garcon and his age its an issue

Ernie Sims- he is a good LB and i think we can keep him for cheap

Expendable

Jacob Lacey- he is very inconsistant but can be a decent nickle when he plays good

Jerome Felton- he helps brown but if he left then we have Mahaffey and vise-versa

Ryan Mahaffey- same as Felton

Tyler Brayton- he is very similar to Anderson but hes old and Andrrson is better

Quinn Ojinnaka- he is a versatile player who isnt bad but is replaceable

Dont waste money on

Terrence Johnson- is just an atrocious player

Anthony Gonzalaz- he isnt worth the money for how much hea on IR for

wayne,garcon,simms,tamme,anderson,lacey

the rest are not resigned

mathis i cant see us resigning because hes getting up there an age and i think the colts drafted hughes so he can replace mathis.

saturday is the same as mathis getting up there and pollak will most likely be our new center

wheeler has history against him. we never resign lbers. sims connor and angerer is a very good lb corp so wheeler isnt needed

fbs dont make our team, but who knows

Saturday ( I cant see him going anywhere if Manning stays)

Garcon (He has really stepped up this year)

Tamme ( If we play them together gives us nearly as good TE's as the pats)

Mathis ( he is vital to our defence)

Anderson (helps us a lot in the run and can get sacks)

Mahaffey ( looked like the best FB we've had in a while)

Simms ( with Conner and angerer gives us a good set of physical LB's)

I would love to see Wayne come back but i dont think he will

mathis i cant see us resigning because hes getting up there an age and i think the colts drafted hughes so he can replace mathis.

saturday is the same as mathis getting up there and pollak will most likely be our new center

wheeler has history against him. we never resign lbers. sims connor and angerer is a very good lb corp so wheeler isnt needed

Mathis is only 30...younger than Wayne and plays at a very high level still...doesnt matter if Polian drafted Hughes with the idea of using him as Mathis' replacement, if Hughes isnt good enough to do so! Jamal Anderson is better than Hughes is

To get everyones min off of Luck heres a difference. But here are the free agents we should keep.

Need:

Philip Wheeler- He has shown his skills and IMO deserves a roster spot next year.

If affordable then keep

Expendable

Jacob Lacey- he is very inconsistant but can be a decent nickle when he plays good

Jerome Felton- he helps brown but if he left then we have Mahaffey and vise-versa

Tyler Brayton- he is very similar to Anderson but hes old and Andrrson is better

Dont waste money on

Golly... I wonder how much Peyton's #, added to Luck's # will add up too? Just off the top of my untrained head...

OH,,, and lets not forget to factor in DFree's 19m next season...

:grouphug:

If it all goes down... Indy is "IN CAP heck" ....

Someting will have to give... This will be the most interesting Colts off season in many years.

Go Colts.

Golly... I wonder how much Peyton's #, added to Luck's # will add up too? Just off the top of my untrained head...

Someting will have to give... This will be the most interesting Colts off season in many years.

Go Colts.

I wouldn't freak out too much about Freeney's cap number. I am already hearing rumblings that the Colts are going to extend his contract to bring that cap number down to something like 13 mil. Still a lot but hey 6 mil can probably get us a player or two off that list.

You are right something is going to have to give and that could be players like Brackett, Bullitt and maybe even Clark (although you have to bring Tamme back for that and probably Garcon or Wayne before you can release him).

Mathis is only 30...younger than Wayne and plays at a very high level still...doesnt matter if Polian drafted Hughes with the idea of using him as Mathis' replacement, if Hughes isnt good enough to do so! Jamal Anderson is better than Hughes is

Not to mention Polian is gone now, the new GM might not give Hughes as long of a rope as the GM who drafted him. Hughes already cost us one good DE in Chick I'd hate to see him cost us another in Mathis.

Not to mention Polian is gone now, the new GM might not give Hughes as long of a rope as the GM who drafted him. Hughes already cost us one good DE in Chick I'd hate to see him cost us another in Mathis.

I want a coach to come in and .... "at least experiment" ...

Put J Hughes @ LB and lets see....????

this is my whole problem with this season... They just acted like :"same ole same ole".. @ 0-11

darnit, try something off the beaten path.... Try a 3-4.. and ummmmmm maybe make an

adjustment. :excited:

e

I wouldn't freak out too much about Freeney's cap number. I am already hearing rumblings that the Colts are going to extend his contract to bring that cap number down to something like 13 mil. Still a lot but hey 6 mil can probably get us a player or two off that list.

You are right something is going to have to give and that could be players like Brackett, Bullitt and maybe even Clark (although you have to bring Tamme back for that and probably Garcon or Wayne before you can release him).

From a "strictly business" standpoint. Peyton will be cut.

But from the team Owner's point of view... "Is PM healthy?" If so.... No brainer... He is a Colt...

Or is he?

This has been my stance all along... This is all "Peyton's call"... Not Irsay's, NOBODYS.

Irsay has laid the groundwork here. Archie has laid the groundwork here. Peyton's contract dictats a "decision"...

It i time.... as Jim Irsay stated........ "for CHANGE"

Go Colts.

Honestly, Peyton's cap # is smaller than it was on his last contract...and Luck's cap # will be roughly equal to what Collins+Painter+Orlovski's cap # was this past season (and i would MUCH rather have Luck as our back up than those 3 stooges!)...

As for Freeney, i agree, he will have to restructure/extend his deal...no way we can afford to have a $19mil cap hit for him...

As much as i like Mathis and Freeney, am i the only one that thinks if someone offered a first rounder this year, we should take it for Freeney and let Mathis walk? If we also let Wayne go, we will have about $30mil in cap right there w/those 3 guys moving on, and could change things up a bit on D, and probably not be much worse for wear. Most likely wouldnt have the top of the line pass rush, but at the same time, with $30mil we could have a more balanced D that didnt give up so much easy stuff.

Just a thought

...and before anyone jumps on me, i do not expect anything like that to happen...but at the same time, dont say that no one would give up a first rounder for Freeney...they did for Richard Seymour, and he was never as good as Freeney in my opinion

Rich Sey was "looking to get paid"... Dwight "IS" getting paid... They are very different situations.

And Seymour is the more productive.. comical aye...

Polian certainly did ink some conracts that ... did not work out.

Rich Sey was "looking to get paid"... Dwight "IS" getting paid... They are very different situations.

And Seymour is the more productive.. comical aye...

Polian certainly did ink some conracts that ... did not work out.

While i am glad that Polian is gone, most of his "contracts" such as Freeney's, were done in a back loaded nature, with plans to extend toward the end...done that way for the cap relief they needed at the time it was inked, and expecting to extend at the end to also lower the cap number...not saying that its brilliant, but it is the way he did a number of contracts.

Either way, i'm anxiously excited to see who we get as GM, what coaches we bring in and what our roster looks like next year. Im also optimistic that things will turn out pretty well, all around for the team and us fans.

I think that Irsay cleaning house will bring in a slighty different philosophy hopefully involving a consistent FB. This year FB proved to help Donald Brown and the running game tremendously.

If Manning & Luck are both Colts next year.

Manning's cap # is 17million.

Luck's cap # will be approximately 4.2 million

Approximately 21.2 in cap dollars on a 121 salary cap of 17-18%

Cash money spent

Manning 35.4 million

Luck approximately 15.6

So Approximately 50 million tied into a position where only 1 can realistically play all 16 games.

On that FA list, you'll have 98,87,85 all likely wanting fairly significant money.

From a "strictly business" standpoint. Peyton will be cut.

But from the team Owner's point of view... "Is PM healthy?" If so.... No brainer... He is a Colt...

Or is he?

This has been my stance all along... This is all "Peyton's call"... Not Irsay's, NOBODYS.

Irsay has laid the groundwork here. Archie has laid the groundwork here. Peyton's contract dictats a "decision"...

It i time.... as Jim Irsay stated........ "for CHANGE"

This is not Peyton's call. Peyton is under contract for four more years. His only way out that he can control by himself is to go home and not play football anymore. Can we agree Peyton Manning is not going to do that if healthy? The Colts have to agree to any other way he leaves the team if he leaves the team. Of the three parties invovled here Peyton Manning probably holds the least amount of power. Luck can always go back to school if he wishes (not likely) or try to force a trade by saying I wont sign the contract. The Colts hold the top pick and Manning's contract so they really have the most power here and then Manning who is under contract is left there at the end. Sure Manning can always ask to be released or ask for a trade but the Colts can always tell him no. Just because someone asks for it does not mean you have to give it to them if you don't want too.

As for Archie laying the ground work for this...yes Archie made some comments about how he felt both men would play and he is probably right both men probably do want to play. Archie also backed off those comments and did an almost complete 180 the very next day saying that he thought Manning and Luck could co-exist. Manning has said so himself. I get the idea no Peyton would not be thrilled with the situation but he is a professional and if it's what the Colts ask him to do it's what he will do. So there is just as much stuff if not more from the Manning game to suggest that while they might not like Luck being here next year he would put up with it.

Irsay said they are in a rebuilding mood but also said he hopes they can keep some of their talented vetrens and just a couple of days ago I saw quote where he said they were rebuilding in some areas. There are also all the times he has said Peyton Manning will be a Colt next year if healthy. There are three ways you can take what Irsay is saying, 1, he's going to release Manning as you are taking it. 2, He's going to keep Manning, as many others are taking it, or 3, maybe he's getting us ready because he knows or doubts Manning isn't going to be healthy? Maybe that's why he keeps saying Manning will be here IF healthy next season while talking about rebuilding. It wouldn't be the first time people had to read between the lines to get what Irsay was saying. Just a thought.

As for the cap numbers, maybe the Colts reowrk Manning's deal a bit. It wouldn't be the first time he's done that, infact he's done it everytime the Colts have asked him to. It could be they rework Manning's and Freeney's deals and release some other vets to make enough cap space to keep the guys they want to keep an draft Luck as well as sign the other draft picks.

Manning has much more leverage/power than many believe.

He's under contract if his option bonus is picked up. Thus he isn't currently under contract.

Yes it's the team's option but all Manning would have to do is just act "not sure of himself" and the neck/ arm strength and Irsay's not going to make a 28 million dollar gamble.

Manning could redo his deal, push back the due date, etc, but that will come with some concessions from the Colts. Examples of this would be a ) no trade clause, meaning he would have to agree to any future trade, b ) an agreement that the Colts pursue trading the #1 pick for a package of picks and move forward with stocking the team around him, c ) assurances that certain players are retained.

Without one or more of those concessions there is no logical reason for Manning to redo the deal, or push the date back, because a trade would only weaken his future team.

He has far more leverage than many want to admit.

He's under contract if his option bonus is picked up. Thus he isn't currently under contract.

Yes it's the team's option but all Manning would have to do is just act "not sure of himself" and the neck/ arm strength and Irsay's not going to make a 28 million dollar gamble.

Manning could redo his deal, push back the due date, etc, but that will come with some concessions from the Colts. Examples of this would be a ) no trade clause, meaning he would have to agree to any future trade, b ) an agreement that the Colts pursue trading the #1 pick for a package of picks and move forward with stocking the team around him, c ) assurances that certain players are retained.

Without one or more of those concessions there is no logical reason for Manning to redo the deal, or push the date back, because a trade would only weaken his future team.

I wasn't talking about Manning redoing the deal so they can dump him by trading him. I was talking about him redoing the deal if they want to keep him to make more cap space.

Again, the Colts control the option and can choose to pick it up if they want to. Even if Manning acts unsure of himself. The Colts are going to listen to doctor on that call not the player for that very reason. Manning has no out that he can control by himself other than to just go retire which he's not going to do if he's healthy. Anything else the Colts have to agree to so it's not like he's going to have as much control over this as say someone like Andrew Luck who isn't under contract. He can always pull the I wont sign line. Manning has four years left on his deal and is pretty much stuck in Indy unless the Colts agree to get ride of him. I am not saying the Colts wont agree to that if they feel it's the best thing to do for the francshie but it's far cry from Manning holding the power here. He might not be powerless but he's not the one in control either.

I wasn't talking about Manning redoing the deal so they can dump him by trading him. I was talking about him redoing the deal if they want to keep him to make more cap space.

Again, the Colts control the option and can choose to pick it up if they want to. Even if Manning acts unsure of himself. The Colts are going to listen to doctor on that call not the player for that very reason. Manning has no out that he can control by himself other than to just go retire which he's not going to do if he's healthy. Anything else the Colts have to agree to so it's not like he's going to have as much control over this as say someone like Andrew Luck who isn't under contract. He can always pull the I wont sign line. Manning has four years left on his deal and is pretty much stuck in Indy unless the Colts agree to get ride of him. I am not saying the Colts wont agree to that if they feel it's the best thing to do for the francshie but it's far cry from Manning holding the power here. He might not be powerless but he's not the one in control either.

Well, Peyton Manning is a smart guy, Tom Condon is a top agent and I highly doubt he redoes his deal with out some form of concessions that I mentioned above, because "moving/dumping" him would always be on the table especially if they draft Luck. So he will be protected from that even if the premise was creating more cap space.

They do own the option, but it's a 28 million dollar gamble, or 35 million dollar gamble when you add his base salary to the equation. They will listen to the Dr, but if Manning says he's unsure if he's willing to take the risk of playing again and needs more time to think it through, Does Irsay pay him anyway when the due date comes calling? Of course not.

So again, he has much more control than many will be willing to admit.

Need:

If affordable then keep

Expendable

Dont waste money on

I'd resign Jacob Lacey....We're short at that position and he played well in the final few games..

I think the obvious choice (and he knows it) is Reggie Wayne...

He certainly was at least $10,000,000 for at least 2 years...and unless Peyton or Dwight F. restructure. we cant do that.

...I think that if Reggie goes. we resign Anthony Gonzalez..

...and perhaps..Gary Brackett gets released in a cost-cutting move

I want to keep him but we cant keep everybody and linebacker, like wide reciver, is a strength fort us

Well, Peyton Manning is a smart guy, Tom Condon is a top agent and I highly doubt he redoes his deal with out some form of concessions that I mentioned above, because "moving/dumping" him would always be on the table especially if they draft Luck. So he will be protected from that even if the premise was creating more cap space.

They do own the option, but it's a 28 million dollar gamble, or 35 million dollar gamble when you add his base salary to the equation. They will listen to the Dr, but if Manning says he's unsure if he's willing to take the risk of playing again and needs more time to think it through, Does Irsay pay him anyway when the due date comes calling? Of course not.

So again, he has much more control than many will be willing to admit.

I think if Peyton gets the go ahead that he's going to be back next year Peyton Manning will do what he's always done and put the team first and they say he we need to rework your deal so we can get you more weapons to help you win now he'll do it. Of course it's always Manning's right to say no at that point and if he does the Colts will have to figure something else out. Based on his history though I doubt Manning would tell them no.

I didn't say Manning had NO power, I said he had the least of the three parties invovled here. There is a difference. Yes Manning has a couple of doors open to him. Most of them invovle Manning doing things that would be out of charater for him. Not to say it's impossiable but it's not likly either. Manning is very aware of his repuation and it's pretty clear he does a lot to protect it and I don't see him playing that game with the Colts. I could be wrong though we shall see. Either way he still not the one holding all the power here as other have suggested.

Nuh uh. That whole first pick in the draft thing is the reason he has little leverage/power, coming of a season essentially on IR. If he wasn't getting special treatment from the organization it would be a easy and cheaper move to cut Peyton and bring in Luck and start him. In turn you could keep Mathis and Wayne and start paying some other guys as well.

I think if Peyton gets the go ahead that he's going to be back next year Peyton Manning will do what he's always done and put the team first and they say he we need to rework your deal so we can get you more weapons to help you win now he'll do it. Of course it's always Manning's right to say no at that point and if he does the Colts will have to figure something else out. Based on his history though I doubt Manning would tell them no.

I didn't say Manning had NO power, I said he had the least of the three parties invovled here. There is a difference. Yes Manning has a couple of doors open to him. Most of them invovle Manning doing things that would be out of charater for him. Not to say it's impossiable but it's not likly either. Manning is very aware of his repuation and it's pretty clear he does a lot to protect it and I don't see him playing that game with the Colts. I could be wrong though we shall see. Either way he still not the one holding all the power here as other have suggested.

I believe he would be willing to do that too if he's got the greenlight, but I also feel it will require a no-trade clause(one where he has to agree to any trade), and an agreement about the direction that the team will go with other players/draft picks etc. That is not too much to ask considering his position.

I don't see him playing that game either, just stating that it's available to him and his agent to play. I would say he has as much power as the Colts, if he chooses to use it. He could burn bridges in doing so and that doesn't sound like him at all, but it's still there.

It's not his call, but he can easily prevent the Colts from making any call they want to. If the option bonus was 5 million then, he would have less power than he does. Since it is an extremely high amount, the power is increased.

Saturday ( I cant see him going anywhere if Manning stays)

Garcon (He has really stepped up this year)

Tamme ( If we play them together gives us nearly as good TE's as the pats)

Mathis ( he is vital to our defence)

Anderson (helps us a lot in the run and can get sacks)

Mahaffey ( looked like the best FB we've had in a while)

Simms ( with Conner and angerer gives us a good set of physical LB's)

I would love to see Wayne come back but i dont think he will

this but

resign Wayne, if he's reasonable which I think he will be. Reluctantly cut Addai, Bracket, Bullitt,Gonzo and Saturday might retire. I think

cutting the often injured and resigning the players that can stay healythy is obviously the best way to go forward. Fill the positions left open in the draft and UDFA. I d say dip into FA too but there wont be enough cap space after resigning our own.

Need:

If affordable then keep

Expendable

Dont waste money on

I don't know if Saturday will stay. And if we do re-sign him, it should only be for 1 year. In all fairness, he did have a pretty good year. I can only see him coming back if we keep Peyton. If Peyton leaves and the organization decides to go with Luck, I think Saturday retires. Agree with the rest, except I would think Mahaffey is more important. When he played, he was blocking very well. And Gonzo can be re-signed, but at the absolute minimum

this but

resign Wayne, if he's reasonable which I think he will be. Reluctantly cut Addai, Bracket, Bullitt,Gonzo and Saturday might retire. I think

cutting the often injured and resigning the players that can stay healythy is obviously the best way to go forward. Fill the positions left open in the draft and UDFA. I d say dip into FA too but there wont be enough cap space after resigning our own.

I was on board with cutting Brackett, but i recently read (dont remember where) that even if we cut him, most of his $$ still counts vs our cap this season...2/3 of his # would still count, if i remember correctly...otherwise, yeah, we should cut him

If Manning & Luck are both Colts next year.

Manning's cap # is 17million.

Luck's cap # will be approximately 4.2 million

Approximately 21.2 in cap dollars on a 121 salary cap of 17-18%

Cash money spent

Manning 35.4 million

Luck approximately 15.6

So Approximately 50 million tied into a position where only 1 can realistically play all 16 games.

On that FA list, you'll have 98,87,85 all likely wanting fairly significant money.

The $50mil # is pretty meaningless, honestly...the cap # is all that matters. If Jim wants to pay those bonuses, thats his right...and quite frankly, Peyton thus far and even Luck in the future would generate more than enough extra revenue to pay for the bonus money.

As for the actual cap hit, it will be SMALLER than what we paid this year...Luck is cheaper than Collins + Painter + Orlovski.

All that aside, it will be the most watched offseason we have had in over a decade!

The $50mil # is pretty meaningless, honestly...the cap # is all that matters. If Jim wants to pay those bonuses, thats his right...and quite frankly, Peyton thus far and even Luck in the future would generate more than enough extra revenue to pay for the bonus money.

As for the actual cap hit, it will be SMALLER than what we paid this year...Luck is cheaper than Collins + Painter + Orlovski.

All that aside, it will be the most watched offseason we have had in over a decade!

With every other player(98,87, 85, 63, etc) due for a contract the actual dollars are far from meaningless.

Luck will not be cheaper than Collins, Painter & Orlovsky. Luck will be around 4.2, and Collins, Painter, Orlovsky are about 2.8, and Manning's cap hit will be a million higher.

With every other player(98,87, 85, 63, etc) due for a contract the actual dollars are far from meaningless.

Luck will not be cheaper than Collins, Painter & Orlovsky. Luck will be around 4.2, and Collins, Painter, Orlovsky are about 2.8, and Manning's cap hit will be a million higher.

i meant meaningless as far as the salary cap...and i guess i could very well be wrong, but i was under the impression that Collins' $4mil was his cap hit...they said it was a 2yr $14mil deal, but that the first year was $4mil and the second was a team option

i meant meaningless as far as the salary cap...and i guess i could very well be wrong, but i was under the impression that Collins' $4mil was his cap hit...they said it was a 2yr $14mil deal, but that the first year was $4mil and the second was a team option

It's meaningless to an extent from a salary cap purpose, but with so many key players due at once, and 93 needing his contract adjusted Irsay will have to be cash heavy to accommodate everything.

I've seen the # 2.75 used as his actual cap hit. I miss-typed above. 2.8 should have been 3.8 since Painter/Orlvosky are earning a little over a million combined.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-08-27/collins-contract-two-years-14-million

Collins will receive $4 million this year, including a $2.5 million signing bonus. Because the second year of the contract calls for him to make $10 million, it is unlikely he will return to the team—at least not at that pay level.

Because the contract is for two years, it will reduce the impact on the Colts’ salary cap. After Collins’ signing bonus is prorated, he will count $2.75 million against the cap in 2011.

Honestly, Peyton's cap # is smaller than it was on his last contract...and Luck's cap # will be roughly equal to what Collins+Painter+Orlovski's cap # was this past season (and i would MUCH rather have Luck as our back up than those 3 stooges!)...

As for Freeney, i agree, he will have to restructure/extend his deal...no way we can afford to have a $19mil cap hit for him...

As much as i like Mathis and Freeney, am i the only one that thinks if someone offered a first rounder this year, we should take it for Freeney and let Mathis walk? If we also let Wayne go, we will have about $30mil in cap right there w/those 3 guys moving on, and could change things up a bit on D, and probably not be much worse for wear. Most likely wouldnt have the top of the line pass rush, but at the same time, with $30mil we could have a more balanced D that didnt give up so much easy stuff.

Just a thought

if someone offered i bet they would jump all over it. i dont think anyone will though, and here is why. i dont think we can keep both him and mathis.

my take is mathis and wayne both wanted re-deals did not get them-- management said 'wait your turn'.... reggie sees the writing on the wall, that the only way the colts want him is cheap. he WILL go for the money in free agency, if anyone offers it (if they dont, it means he has lost the ability to be a #1 receiver),. mathis played his heart out this season, i think he was our MVP-- and he will want to get paid. he wont come cheaper than freeney this year, unless we use the tag (and i dont know what that figure is).

too many big contracts, something has to give. i have no idea what garcon will want either.

essentially both receivers and both pass rushers are going to want paid, and we dont have it to do so.

i think freeney gets cut, mathis and garcon get paid, and reggie fumes.

I dont think the colts need jacob tamme, phillip wheeler or jeff saturday... especially saturday, he's getting up there in age and its about time pollack went to his original spot as Center... jacob tamme was nothing special, the colts need someone that can both block and catch.. not a WR who converted to TE cause he was too slow.. as for wheeler i dont think he ever deserved the starting spot, not very good at all when it comes to pass coverage and his best ability was blitzing which the colts didnt do much of with him.

smitto, tamme is cheap, and plays special teams. i dont think he is a starter, but you need cheap backups that can play!

saturday is a tough one, he is popular, which makes no diff in this sport, but i dont know about pollack. if he folds at center like he does at guard, whoever the QB is is gonna have treadmarks all over him. my hope would be that we could get him for one more year, if the price is right, for depth at least.

then again, maybe thats a draft position, whats his name konz?

I'd move Wheeler, and Saturday (as much as I'd hate to), to the affordable list. Wheeler sucks and Saturday's old

I'd move Anderson, Simms and Lacey to the need list. Lots of bodies to rotate and keep D fresh.

Add Adam V. to the expendable list. Too expensive and McAfee can handle all the kicking duties.