Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we want to beat the patriots.........

CR91

(finish the sentence)

OFFENSE

we need to put the ball in gore's and bradshaw's hands. we need to be able to run the football. no ifs ands or buts. we need to able to run the football. if the pats are gonna play two high safeties, then we have to make them pay for it because if we do, those safeties will creep up eventually and we can hit the play action deep, but if we cant run the ball, game over.

DEFENSE

we need to be aggressive. In other words, we need to blitz blitz and blitz some more with man coverage. no zone coverage, no 4 man pressure, we will never get to brady. we couldnt even get to hoyer for crying out loud. I get it we're gonna be beat at times with big plays, but thats better then brady dipping and dunking us for 8 mins.

(finish the sentence)

OFFENSE

we need to put the ball in gore's and bradshaw's hands. we need to be able to run the football. no ifs ands or buts. we need to able to run the football. if the pats are gonna play two high safeties, then we have to make them pay for it because if we do, those safeties will creep up eventually and we can hit the play action deep, but if we cant run the ball, game over.

DEFENSE

we need to be aggressive. In other words, we need to blitz blitz and blitz some more with man coverage. no zone coverage, no 4 man pressure, we will never get to brady. we couldnt even get to hoyer for crying out loud. I get it we're gonna be beat at times with big plays, but thats better then brady dipping and dunking us for 8 mins.

Disagree on the defense we need pressure with 4.  If we can get that consistently and stop their run game we should be able to control the points scored. 

If we are blitz happy Brady will make us pay.  The Patriots are the kings of rub routes and pick plays. Put all of the DBs close and they will fail.  

Disagree on the defense we need pressure with 4.  If we can get that consistently and stop their run game we should be able to control the points scored. 

If we are blitz happy Brady will make us pay.  The Patriots are the kings of rub routes and pick plays. Put all of the DBs close and they will fail.  

what about the last four games gives you any confidence we can create pressure with just 4 guys

Probably your only chance is to get pressure on Brady up the middle, similar to what Dallas did last week - but also challenge the Pats secondary with big plays.  Easier said than done of course, but it can happen I suppose.  Additionally, the PATS might be a bit too amped up given this is a HUGE REVENGE game and all - so that might be in the Colts favor if the Pats come out too fired up and all over the place.

I think we'll need to pressure Brady. The D did a good job against the run in Houston, but no pressure on QB. Any decent QB will beat us with a pass if we can't step it up. So we need to cover better and pressure Brady. Our run against Houston was good. O line did much better, but that may be a product of the quicker release. We need EVERYTHING to work to beat NE.  

control the clock on offense, keep the Pats offense on the sideline, and (most importantly) score TD's, not field goals. Long drives down the field that end in 3 points won't do the Colts any good. They'd be better off taking gambles on 4th down than settling for 3. No team ever seems to do this against the Pats...always puzzles me.

control the clock on offense, keep the Pats offense on the sideline, and (most importantly) score TD's, not field goals. Long drives down the field that end in 3 points won't do the Colts any good. They'd be better off taking gambles on 4th down than settling for 3. No team ever seems to do this against the Pats...always puzzles me.

Because 3 is better than zero?

Only chance: we explode offensively and outscore them - overnight, the offense becomes what everyone predicted it to be during the offseason. Unfortunately, with Luck being injured and the way the season has gone to date, the odds of that happening by Sunday are slim. Much better odds it comes together by playoff time.

Long drives down the field that end in 3 points won't do the Colts any good. They'd be better off taking gambles on 4th down than settling for 3. No team ever seems to do this against the Pats...always puzzles me.

In this case I agree with that. You can't just be content to remain in the game, hoping they'll implode in the 4th like an AFC South opponent.