Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cant Hire Reggie Mckenzie Until The Packers Are Eliminated

oldunclemark

If Fisher is gone, oh well. He's not very high on my list anyway.

There will be candidates available. The best candidates over the past several years haven't been the hot candidates. If you want a good GM who is currently working with a playoff team, you have to wait. Big picture, the GM is more valuable to the long term success of the team anyways. Irsay seems content to let the GM make his own coaching decision, unless he falls in love before he can make a decision on a GM.

Where did you hear this rule?

It's not a rule that he can't interview while the team is still playing, but it is a rule that they'd have to have permission from his current employer. It's unlikely they'd give permission with the post season still ongoing, though teams on byes have occasionally done as much.

But it's not like the team isn't looking right now. Wasn't there just a report that they had interest in interviewing Jeff Foster, one of the guys who runs the Combine?

It's not a rule that he can't interview while the team is still playing, but it is a rule that they'd have to have permission from his current employer. It's unlikely they'd give permission with the post season still ongoing, though teams on byes have occasionally done as much.

But it's not like the team isn't looking right now. Wasn't there just a report that they had interest in interviewing Jeff Foster, one of the guys who runs the Combine?

I would argue just the opposite - if the Packers think they'd lose their Director of Player Development before the draft they'd want to lose him as quickly as possible so they could get someone else in that role to prepare for the NFL Draft. Player Development isn't doing mission critical work during the playoffs besides preparing for the draft.

The only problem is say we hire this McKenzie dude as our GM. He is going to be left to make a decision on the head coach and by that time, a lot of the head coaching prospects like Fisher will probably be gone

Irsay said on the press conference that the coach decision might come prior to the GM decision (he brought the Dungy example in order to show how immediate such a decision could come). Sounded like he would grab a coach if he thinks he would fit although - ideally - the new GM should also have a say. Man, the whole stuff about Manning, the GM and coach decision, the draft, free agency... Too much going on for me haha

The only problem is say we hire this McKenzie dude as our GM. He is going to be left to make a decision on the head coach and by that time, a lot of the head coaching prospects like Fisher will probably be gone

There is a quote out there that Irsay said if he decides to part ways with Caldwell that if he found a head coach he liked he would hire him even if the GM is not yet in place. I really think what is going on is that Irsay someone in mind that he wants for the Head Coaching job but if he can't land him he is willing to ride Caldwell out for another year because he's not crazy about somene else. With that said if a new GM comes in and has his own guy it wouldn't shock me if he twisted Irsay's arm but Irasy made it clear the Head Coach is going to be his call.

Also heard an interview today where they said the Polians being fired sent shockwaves around the football world because no one thought that job was going to be open and now that it is other people are stepping back and rethinking their current plans because even coming off a 2-14 season the Colts job is thought to be one of the better jobs in football because you have a great support from the owner and you are ether going to have Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck as your QB if not both.

Irsay said on the press conference that the coach decision might come prior to the GM decision (he brought the Dungy example in order to show how immediate such a decision could come). Sounded like he would grab a coach if he thinks he would fit although - ideally - the new GM should also have a say. Man, the whole stuff about Manning, the GM and coach decision, the draft, free agency... Too much going on for me haha

Right for those who want a new head coach the decision on Caldwell is the one you need to watch for not the new GM. We can't hire a new coach till the old coach is fired and right now that has not happened and Irsay made it clear it might not happen.

Gorman: How long of a process will you take to make a decision regarding the head coach?

Irsay: Most likely the GM will be in before a final decision is made regarding the head coach.

That could change if someone becomes available that I really want to bring in, I don't want to box myself in. There is a possibility Jim could come back and try to get this back on track.

NO PROMOTIONAL POSTING ON THE SITE2012-archives/january/recap-of-the-co...

The Direcrtor of Player Personall (or whatever they call him)_ for Green bay isnt avaialble until Green Bay's season is over.

That's 2 weeks at least

That is really not accurate information considering he is interviewing with Oakland today.

I would argue just the opposite - if the Packers think they'd lose their Director of Player Development before the draft they'd want to lose him as quickly as possible so they could get someone else in that role to prepare for the NFL Draft. Player Development isn't doing mission critical work during the playoffs besides preparing for the draft.

While I can see your point, I can't say I agree. McKenzie is one of two Director of Football Operations, along with Ted Thompson. Rob Davis is the Director of Player Development, by the way. Tim Terry and Eliot Wolf are both prime candidates to move up, especially Wolf. Wolf has been recently been rumored to take McKenzie's Director of Football Operations job at wherever McKenzie ends up, though the Packers might offer him a promotion as well. Their front office, by all indications, is loaded with high quality trusted talent. I imagine they have his successor already on the staff.

Though the Packers did apparently give McKenzie permission to interview with Oakland today. I imagine he'll interview now, so you might be right.

There is a quote out there that Irsay said if he decides to part ways with Caldwell that if he found a head coach he liked he would hire him even if the GM is not yet in place. I really think what is going on is that Irsay someone in mind that he wants for the Head Coaching job but if he can't land him he is willing to ride Caldwell out for another year because he's not crazy about somene else. With that said if a new GM comes in and has his own guy it wouldn't shock me if he twisted Irsay's arm but Irasy made it clear the Head Coach is going to be his call.

Also heard an interview today where they said the Polians being fired sent shockwaves around the football world because no one thought that job was going to be open and now that it is other people are stepping back and rethinking their current plans because even coming off a 2-14 season the Colts job is thought to be one of the better jobs in football because you have a great support from the owner and you are ether going to have Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck as your QB if not both.

Yeah, there are a lot of people saying that the Colts GM position is not one they would want. I don't see why. You get to select your future QB with the first pick, possibly get back a healthy Manning, and with a healthy Manning, this team is a few pieces away from a Super Bowl. Bring in an experienced guy and give him the support of the owner, he will be able to work his magic. Sure, the contracts and free agents are all over the place, but there is no reason why he can't figure those out. He would get to work with a franchise that has had a lot of success recently, has a very strong fanbase, and the BEST FAN FORUM ON THE INTERNET!!

That is really not accurate information considering he is interviewing with Oakland today.

I didn't have the Raiders on my mind as a team looking for a GM. Guess they're changing the way they do things over there. Good for them.

Sounds like Ron Wolf (Packers GM) recommended McKenzie to the Raiders. Wolf was the Raiders GM when they drafted McKenzie way back when. So it makes sense that they got first crack at him, and that the Packers would give him permission to interview there during the bye week. But he won't accept any job until after the Packers' season ends. So we probably have at least two weeks to at least talk to him. I would figure they would give us permission if McKenzie was interested in looking at our job.

Adam Schefter's Facebook status:

Packers director of college scouting John Dorsey turned down the chance to interview for the Colts general manager job.

--

Could this mean bad things for McKenzie? Maybe the Packers management is happy where they are and don't want to leave? Does this mean lower chances for us getting McKenzie? Or am I reading too much into this?

Adam Schefter's Facebook status: Packers director of college scouting John Dorsey turned down the chance to interview for the Colts general manager job. -- Could this mean bad things for McKenzie? Maybe the Packers management is happy where they are and don't want to leave? Does this mean lower chances for us getting McKenzie? Or am I reading too much into this?

darnit i really wanted john dorsey or mckenzie...btw whoever mentioned it, decosta + chuck pagano...sign me in, im all for that combo. i love chuck pagano and decosta seems to be high on a lot of people lists.