Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign QB Josh Johnson. Waive CB Shaun Prater

MTC

Butler and Toler aren't meant to be stop gaps (Butler was when first signed but quickly turned into a good nickle corner). GC and Landry weren't either...they are failures. Toler has struggled with injury but overall I see him as a positive. Ideally, FA is used at a minimum to supplement weak spots in the roster while drafted talent is developed. The Colts roster was so lacking in talent and depth, and after 2012, the FO and staff realized they could win now, so they forced the issue. The depth/talent was compounded by switching to a completely new defense (hence, Franklin). Could Grigs have done better? Yes. That said, if you consider the context and put everything into perspective, his failure has been on OL and LB. Should he be criticized for that? Yes. Should he be on the hot seat? Yes. Should he be fired? TBD...let's see how this year plays out. 

This is a really good post. Especially the bolded.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biased Grigson bashing on this forum gets old. For the forum's education...

Nearly all of Grigsons signings were good signings. They were intended to be stop gap players who could play the positions needed WHILE TRANSITIONING from a Tampa 2 defense to a fatty 34 defense WHICH IS WHAT THE OWNER OF THE TEAM COMMANDED HIS GM TO TRANSITION TO. The only truly bad signing was Landry.

Also, transitioning (at least attempting to) from a QB centric offense to power running play-action offense, was commanded by the owner...who I'm sure was on board with the TRich trade..a RB that everyone thought was stifled by a poor Cleveland passing game. We have yet to see the PA offense (see many threads)

ALL of the stop gap players were meant to be replaced by draft picks either at the end of their contracts or during their contracts. The possibility of being replaced during their contracts is why the contracts were written with little cap hit when the player was cut. And which vet gets replaced by a pick depends on who's availabkle in the draft at the time. For example, the #3 WR of Avery/Nicks was eventually replaced by draft pick Moncrief or Dorsett (with the other replacing the aging Wayne/AJ).

Walden, Landry, Cherilous, and Thomas were signed with the intention of being more than a stop-gap-towards-full-transition player. Landry was the only really bad signing. Cherilous was a good player. Thomas had the resume of a good player. Walden IS a good player and has earned his pay.

In Grigson's 3 plus years, the only bad signing was Landry..when he was signed, he wasn't meant to be replaced at some point but had to be replaced due to poor play and suspension. The ONLY player who was overdrafted was Werner.

RJF, Chap, and Hughes were cut this offseason...no doubt related to the changeover to a quicker 34 DL philosophy instead of the fatty 34 philosophy Irsay told Grigson to initially build.

One bad signing and one overdrafted player in over three years. I say give the guy a bonus.

Toler has been a positive but in my eyes, it doesn't matter how good you are, if you can't stay healthy you aren't contributing. Case in point being Vick Ballard. But see, that's the problem because the drafted talent hasn't developed really at all at some of the most important positions on the roster. What's worse, is that none of the defensive talent outside of Vontae Davis is a true game-changer. I don't count Mathis being he is from the old regime.

People don't seem to realize that when you invest in a player via either the draft or free agency, if they don't pan out for your team, it's hurting it.You can't keep having a revolving door and expect any level of continuity to develop.

If you are saying Grigson has done average then that doesn't cut it. When you have a once in a generation QB, average is not going to win you championships.

I think Grigson has done great, average, and bad, depending on the context. You can say that about any GM in the league. I'm not willing to say in Week 4 of the 4th year of a complete rebuild that he should be fired based on his performance to date. I will hold judgement until further along in the year or end of year. Right now, I am willing to say that he should be (and I believe is) on the hot seat. 

Re: defensive game changers. The Colts need that at LB, especially rush LB. I think there is a lot of promise in other areas on the defense, including at MLB with Irvin and Moore. Again, this doesn't happen overnight and Grigs should be criticized for the Werner pick and Trich trade, both of which negated a chance in the draft to add game changers (Werner is serviceable but not what the Colts and fans hoped he would be).

You're point on turnover/continuity is unrealistic--injuries, FA, upgrades, etc. happen. The core needs to stay consistent and Grigs is trending in the right direction on this. Parts of the roster inevitably churn. Part of continuity is not making quick decisions to fire coaches and FO. 

Our once in a generation QB didn't look like once in a generation until the 12th quarter of the year. Much of that was on him and that is not Grigs fault (yes, the OL didn't help but Luck left plenty of plays on the field). The Colts would be at least 2-1 if Luck played average and/or the game plans put him in a better position to succeed.

You can call me crazy, but if the current starting O-line stays healthy, I think by mid season they will be more than adequate, which is good enough in the 2015 NFL. 

I agree, my doc just told me on my torn rotator cuff, 8 to 12 weeks....if IF IF IF that's the same injury Luck has...........hello top 5 draft pick

Baseball pitchers get torn rotator cuffs...and its not because of sacks, or bad olines, or bad GMs.

Its because they try to throw the ball too hard (far) too often, maybe with badly coached mechanics.

We'll see what the injury is..........

Baseball pitchers get torn rotator cuffs...and its not because of sacks, or bad olines, or bad GMs.

Its because they try to throw the ball to hard (far) too often, maybe with badly coached mechanics.

We'll see what the injury is..........

We'll see.  But I'm firmly on the fire them all wagon now

I think Grigson has done great, average, and bad, depending on the context. You can say that about any GM in the league. I'm not willing to say in Week 4 of the 4th year of a complete rebuild that he should be fired based on his performance to date. I will hold judgement until further along in the year or end of year. Right now, I am willing to say that he should be (and I believe is) on the hot seat. 

I'm not sure there is any context that will allow you to say he's done great. It's fairly obvious that this team has overachieved despite the lack of overall talent. Luck is clearly one of those players that can carry a team to the post-season, much like how Manning and other great QB's have done at various points in their careers. When you couple this with the rumors floating around that he runs the coaching staff as well, it makes him more responsible for the failures.

Re: defensive game changers. The Colts need that at LB, especially rush LB. I think there is a lot of promise in other areas on the defense, including at MLB with Irvin and Moore. Again, this doesn't happen overnight and Grigs should be criticized for the Werner pick and Trich trade, both of which negated a chance in the draft to add game changers (Werner is serviceable but not what the Colts and fans hoped he would be).

Irvin and Moore have played zero, if any snaps at all to dictate you saying that. Now, can they be better options than DQ or Freeman? Possibly. But there isn't any case to prove that yet. I could understand you talking about "overnight" back in 2013 or even last year, but you can tell that the same issues that fatally doomed this team since Grigson took over are still present (lack of playmakers on defense and horrendous offensive line play).

You're point on turnover/continuity is unrealistic--injuries, FA, upgrades, etc. happen. The core needs to stay consistent and Grigs is trending in the right direction on this. Parts of the roster inevitably churn. Part of continuity is not making quick decisions to fire coaches and FO. 

Do me a favor. Take a look at the Colts offensive line and tell me how many players have turned over on those positions since 2012. Castanzo has remained the lone constant. Grigson has managed to get only 1 good offensive linemen in 4 years. I get you want to have continuity but this team is in the midst of a season that has Super Bowl expectations after having 3 years to rebuild.

Our once in a generation QB didn't look like once in a generation until the 12th quarter of the year. Much of that was on him and that is not Grigs fault (yes, the OL didn't help but Luck left plenty of plays on the field). The Colts would be at least 2-1 if Luck played average and/or the game plans put him in a better position to succeed.

And how many times has Luck's pocket awareness and overall skill put the Colts in a position to win over the past 3 years? Luck has struggled to start the season I agree but if the team requires him to play amazing to win all the time, there is a problem.

You can call me crazy, but if the current starting O-line stays healthy, I think by mid season they will be more than adequate, which is good enough in the 2015 NFL. 

It's possible. Let's just hope that Luck stays healthy too.

Another good post.

Just because I don't think Grigson sucks and don't think he should be fired yesterday doesn't mean I fully endorse everything he's done, or even that I think he should keep his job beyond this season. Context and perspective are important. 

I'm not sure there is any context that will allow you to say he's done great. It's fairly obvious that this team has overachieved despite the lack of overall talent. Luck is clearly one of those players that can carry a team to the post-season, much like how Manning and other great QB's have done at various points in their careers. When you couple this with the rumors floating around that he runs the coaching staff as well, it makes him more responsible for the failures.

Irvin and Moore have played zero, if any snaps at all to dictate you saying that. Now, can they be better options than DQ or Freeman? Possibly. But there isn't any case to prove that yet. I could understand you talking about "overnight" back in 2013 or even last year, but you can tell that the same issues that fatally doomed this team since Grigson took over are still present (lack of playmakers on defense and horrendous offensive line play).

Do me a favor. Take a look at the Colts offensive line and tell me how many players have turned over on those positions since 2012. Castanzo has remained the lone constant. Grigson has managed to get only 1 good offensive linemen in 4 years. I get you want to have continuity but this team is in the midst of a season that has Super Bowl expectations after having 3 years to rebuild.

And how many times has Luck's pocket awareness and overall skill put the Colts in a position to win over the past 3 years? Luck has struggled to start the season I agree but if the team requires him to play amazing to win all the time, there is a problem.

It's possible. Let's just hope that Luck stays healthy too.

I don't have time to respond to all of this and won't be back on for a while. Thanks for a good debate. A few quick points, this year is big for Grigs and Pagano. Again, I keep using hot seat, not fire them. Let's let it ride out...remember how bad NE and GB looked through 4 weeks last year? Moore and Irvin are getting healthy and learning the system....they should get more snaps as the year goes on. Again, I'm not defending the OL. It is an issue, but the issue is compounded by bad schemes, bad QB decision making, and overall poor execution by the rest of the offense. I think Luck is great and am not down on him....that said, he has been terrible for 11 of 12 quarters this year. Better schemes on offense wouldn't require him to play amazing to be successful. RB and WR screenings, short slants, short hot reads to RBs and TEs, etc. would make his life easier and the Colts have the speed and skill to turn those small plays into big gains. If these type of plays start making an appearance, the offense will be more efficient, the deep passes will open up, and the OL will look fine as a result. 

Another good post.

Just because I don't think Grigson sucks and don't think he should be fired yesterday doesn't mean I fully endorse everything he's done, or even that I think he should keep his job beyond this season. Context and perspective are important. 

Exactly--context and perspective seem to go out the window around here. Either it is fire Grigson, or you are a blind Grigson homer. Football, and life in general, aren't that black and white. 

We'll see.  But I'm firmly on the fire them all wagon now

Yeah, the injury might not even be that bad and he might play. The thing is, if its a bruise or something like a minor separation, that usually effects how you can hold your arm...you can kind of tell when someone is injured. A rotator cuff only flairs up when throwing. So the fact that we didn't really hear about the injury until Luck started throwing in practice has me concerned. Its not something that is immediate either, it tears more over time and over the course of throwing more. A bruise or separation happens immediately.

The offensive philosophy of a power running play-action passing game that Irsay said he wanted after Manning left...which Luck ran in college...has never been implemented. The day 1 hire of Bruce Arians never made sense....he doesn't coach that kind of O. And Pep has done nothing to change it, except run some unbalanced oline running plays. If anybody gets fired, I say start with the offensive brain trust, whoever that is.

just pure speculation  nothing to base it off of, just a what if thing

Just to address this specifically, I think torn rotator cuffs don't have to happen immediately, they can tear a little more with each long throw....until it gets bad enough to stop throwing altogether.

If we win, in the long run, this might be a good thing, assuming Pep calls an intelligent game Sunday. If a true west coast attack and pounding Gore works, perhaps the organization will realize we should use it when the real dude returns and not get him killed by age 25.

Yeah, the injury might not even be that bad and he might play. The thing is, if its a bruise or something like a minor separation, that usually effects how you can hold your arm...you can kind of tell when someone is injured. A rotator cuff only flairs up when throwing. So the fact that we didn't really hear about the injury until Luck started throwing in practice has me concerned. Its not something that is immediate either, it tears more over time and over the course of throwing more. A bruise or separation happens immediately.

The offensive philosophy of a power running play-action passing game that Irsay said he wanted after Manning left...which Luck ran in college...has never been implemented. The day 1 hire of Bruce Arians never made sense....he doesn't coach that kind of O. And Pep has done nothing to change it, except run some unbalanced oline running plays. If anybody gets fired, I say start with the offensive brain trust, whoever that is.

Actually no, I just tore mine saturday when i got my arm pinned and thrown backwards. long story short, I tore mine and I've never had issues prior.  But I get what you're say for sure.  

we have holes at CB S ILB OLB RG LG and C

The only talent we have is on offense and the only talent on D is Vontae and a promising Anderson

We do not have holes at CB...we have injuries.  We do not have holes at Safety either...we have 2 pretty good safeties.  And ILB and OLB?  Are you frigging kidding me??  Now, I will agree with RG, LG and C...but the rest of your post lacks merit.

Actually no, I just tore mine saturday when i got pinned and thrown backwards by a run away camper. long story short, I tore mine and I've never had issues prior.  But I get what you're say for sure.

Yeah, were all in speculation mode at this point.

not sure I trust Hasselbeck even going against the Jags D with our current OL..  

Jags were in the top 10 in sacks last year

time to hope this is just a cautious move

Exactly, that is what we need . A less mobile 40 year old quarterback with a weaker (used up) arm.  Oh well, we'll see if the folks here were right about signing him for yet another season as backup, this time 3 million.  Good news is Pep must scrap the remnants of Arians vertical passing attack (the parts he chose weren't working anyway). 

I don't think Luck goes.  First, players who miss practice during the week typically don't play.  It is what it is.  Next, the following game is just 4 days after this upcoming game.  I don't feel there is any way he can recover for that one if he does try this one.  So I think it's Hello Matt.

I really wanted to get someone that could be a decent backup in the draft.  Someone that other teams would consider trading for if their teams g Willing to spend a 5th or higher to get one.  We didn't, so now we have MH, and what is left out there in the QB dumpsters.  If we can grind out some 1st downs  and keep TOP in check we may be able to sneak out a win with out Luck.  If MH is ineffective, or gets injured due to poor blocking himself, we are sunk.  Neither Tanney nor Johnson know the playbook, have any reps, and just do not possess NFL level talent.  You saw how someone that does/did have NFL talent and at least knows some of the playbook ( Michael Vick) fare with almost no reps in practice against an 0 - 3 Ravens team. He was not sharp and missed an open A. Brown on the last play. 

So it will even be a little difficult for an experienced Matt Hasselbeck.  Let's hope he can manage the game well, create some scores, give the D rest time, and the D is stingy.

So, if the Colts win it's just because they are playing the Jags not because the Colts are perhaps better overall than many on this forum think.  But if they lose it's just because Grigson is a bad GM?

I have seen more crying this year than ever before.  Quarterbcks get hurt in the NFL just as the rest of the positions.  I think this bunch of whiners would blame Grigson, Pagano and Pep if he caught the flu or was constipated too.

exlax-life-09-06-1937-58-m3.jpg

id have to agree...i tired looking up the NFL policy regarding reporting an injury and the injured list....super vague rules...and only 13 sanction in past 10 years. Coaches have admitted to lieing on report before (saying "knee" instead of "ankle"), and to NOT placing someone on the report when injured (Farve at one point playing with a sever knee injury)....

so I have really not much idea on where to start to make an opinion regarding how injured Luck may/may not be, nor about the signing of Tanney and Johnson....regarding if Luck is going to be out, or they are just insurance and arms to have in case...

I really think no one will know until 90 minutes before kick off on Sun.

According t where the Colts listed Andrew, he has a 50 / 50 chance of playing Sunday-

• Inactive (IA) - Players are officially inactive for the current game and will not play
  • Out (O) – Not scheduled to play
  • Doubtful (D) – Players have approximately a 25% chance of playing
  • Questionable (Q) – Players have approximately a 50% chance of playing
  • Probable (P) – Players are very likely to start in the upcoming week

It makes sense.  Why tell the Jags D coordinator who to game plan for?  Now they have to  be ready for both / either.  My instincts (educated guess based upon no reps and a short week before the following game) tells me Mr. Luck likely sits while MH gets the call. According to Pagano, it's too early to tell who is #3; Tanney or Johnson.  You would think Johnson's NFL experience gives him the nod.

Does Johnson have over 2 years accrued seasons?  I think brand new for 2015 P.S. rules allow signing 2 more veteran players to the P.S. if they do not have more than 2 accrued seasons. So there's a chance both QB's are practice squad eligible... depending.

What's wrong with seeing how Hassleback can do with the 1's?  He is going to surprise some people with great playmakers in front of him.  JMO.

I admire your confidence, but i do not place Matt Hasselbeck in the Favre, Moon, Testaverde category.  Let alone Doug Flutie.  These are 40 year QB's I remember doing fairly well, or quite good.  Maybe Matt can be next on my list.

I admire your confidence, but i do not place Matt Hasselbeck in the Favre, Moon, Testaverde category.  Let alone Doug Flutie.  These are 40 year QB's I remember doing fairly well, or quite good.  Maybe Matt can be next on my list.

I am pretty confident.  This is a home football game, and I thing our offense will 'Gore through' the Jaguar's defense.I am seeing more bubble screens this week, more use of the TEs and maybe Andre Johnson comes through in a short-medium passing game.

YAC are going to be important in this one.  The Jags play primarily a zone defense  Gore will shred it, and Hassellback has read blitzes for a very long time...I am confident  :):thmup:

I am pretty confident.  This is a home football game, and I thing our offense will 'Gore through' the Jaguar's defense.I am seeing more bubble screens this week, more use of the TEs and maybe Andre Johnson comes through in a short-medium passing game.

YAC are going to be important in this one.  The Jags play primarily a zone defense  Gore will shred it, and Hassellback has read blitzes for a very long time...I am confident   :):thmup:

X2!

YAC are going to be important in this one.  The Jags play primarily a zone defense  Gore will shred it, and Hassellback has read blitzes for a very long time...I am confident   :):thmup:

And the biggie... they don't have recent film on him, and they have to prepare for Luck {cough} just in case... 

If we fall behind early and have to abandon the run and throw...  well...  maybe Matt will earn all 3 million of his salary in just one game.

And no whinin' if we get shellacked...

And the biggie... they don't have recent film on him, and they have to prepare for Luck {cough} just in case... 

If we fall behind early and have to abandon the run and throw...  well...  maybe Matt will earn all 3 million of his salary in just one game.

And no whinin' if we get shellacked...

We will "Move the chains."  :)

The Colts have quite a bit of talent and they don't have as many holes as most people want to pretend.

Does Hassel give the Colts a better chance to win than Luck. No, but only because last week's 4th quarter Luck is always there and Hasselback cannot be that good on his best day in his prime. But I think Hasselback can and will play better than the Luck we have seen for 10 out of 12 quarters so far this year. And I guarantee you MH won't check to a pass play for 14 straight plays in the first and second quarter.

We don't have talent. Outside of Luck Gore TY maybe Moncrief and AC nobody else on offense would start for an elite team. On defense only Vontae Robert and Maybe Anderson could start on a team. 8 players out of 22 where do you see talent?

You think Hasselbeck could do better than Luck...think heʻll be kinda Romo-ish...not the talent but the injuries...wouldʻnt need Hasselbeck if he nailed it on the O-line...kinda scary thinking about him behind that ? O-line

So now you are going to put your own meaning to what I said? You are off topic and there are plenty of other threads to go and whine.

How the heck did Testeverde get into the Favre & Moon category?

He's barely in the Hasselbeck category, if even.

How the heck did Testeverde get into the Favre & Moon category?

He's barely in the Hasselbeck category, if even.

OK, players at over 40-

Name                      Year     Age     GS     QBrec     Cmp     Att     Cmp%     Yds     TD     Int    

V. Testaverde          2004     41     15       5-10-0      297     495     60.0     3532     17     20     

W. Moon                 1997*    41     14        7-7-0       313     528     59.3     3678     25     16  

B. Favre                  2009*   40     16        12-4-0     363     531     68.4     4202     33     7

2010    41     13          5-8-0     217     358     60.6     2509     11     19

D. Flutie                   2001    39     16        5-11-0     294     521     56.4     3464     15     18

2003     41     5           2-3-0     91       167     54.5     1097       9     4

To me, these are the best of... until Peyton Manning and Tom Brady register their 39 and above season stats.

I would challenge (and love to see) Matt Hasselbeck come close to achieving these type of numbers at his age.  And Vinny's numbers deserve to be included in the above.  Maybe not much of his younger days, but this elderly age season above fits right in

OK, players at over 40-

Name                      Year     Age     GS     QBrec     Cmp     Att     Cmp%     Yds     TD     Int    

V. Testaverde          2004     41     15       5-10-0      297     495     60.0     3532     17     20     

W. Moon                 1997*    41     14        7-7-0       313     528     59.3     3678     25     16  

B. Favre                  2009*   40     16        12-4-0     363     531     68.4     4202     33     7

2010    41     13          5-8-0     217     358     60.6     2509     11     19

D. Flutie                   2001    39     16        5-11-0     294     521     56.4     3464     15     18

2003     41     5           2-3-0     91       167     54.5     1097       9     4

To me, these are the best of... until Peyton Manning and Tom Brady register their 39 and above season stats.

I would challenge (and love to see) Matt Hasselbeck come close to achieving these type of numbers at his age.  And Vinny's numbers deserve to be included in the above.  Maybe not much of his younger days, but this elderly age season above fits right in

Ah, got it.

Sorry, I couldn't fathom Vinnie in the same sentence, and missed the 40's portion of your argument.

Carry on.

Luck isn't going to play this week and probably not next week either is what this move tells me.

This stupid game sunday is going to be needlessly stressful. 

how bad is he hurt? what aren't they telling us? grigs get us an o-line. lucks future depends on it. grigs has had way too much time to build a line and it is worse than when he started. irsay make a move , make pagano the hc and gm. save a big useless paycheck