Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You Are The New Gm

IndyTrav

1) Fire Jim Caldwell and the entire staff

2) Bring in a head coach who is creative with a west coast type of offense, since Peyton can succeed in any offense and Andrew Luck has done well in it.

3) Bring in Steve Spagnioulo as the DC, snce he is very aggressive with a 4-3 and brings much pressure.

4) Say goodbye to Gary Brackett, Melvin Bullett, and Reggie Wayne

5) Draft Andrew Luck with the #1 pick and let him set behind Peyton. We need two QBs anyways.

6) Resign Anderson and Brayton

7) Draft a WR at the top of round 2

8) Sign a free agent guard and cornerback

1.) Mike Zimmer Head Coach.

2.) Wayne, Brackett, Addai, Mathis are all cut. (Manning, but depends on his ability to play)

3.) Try to grab Dwayne Bowe, Michael Griffin and others via Free agency

4.) I draft Luck

So for me it would look like:

QB: Luck/Orlovsky (Manning?)

OL: AC,Nicks,Saturday,Diem,Illijana

RB: Brown/Carter

WR: Bowe(dream),Garcon

TE: Tamme

DL: Freeney/Nevis/Mola/Anderson

LB: Sims/Angerer/Wheeler/Conner

DB: Powers/Griffin/Bethea/

There is no way Clark is worth anything.....a 33 year old non-blocking TE, whos barely played 16 games in 2 years. And only surpassed 650 yds twice in a 9 year career with a Peyton Manning led offense...Not only that but guys like Finley/TonyG/Fred Davis/Carlson/Shockey/Shincoe are all FA's this year, and Dallas is the hghest paid TE? Not a chance anyone trades for that.

I'd agree we aren't going to get anything close to value if we try to trade Clark.

With that said in a year with Wayne, Tamme, and Garcon as free agents you have to have someone for the QB (whomever that might be) to throw to. I could see us releasing Clark but if we did I think it would only come after we resigned Tamme and probably either Wayne or Garcon. I say that because I think if you bring back Tamme and Garcon you can get by with really spliting Clark out as a slot WR because that's more of what he is, a WR trapped in a tightend body. Tamme on the other hand is more of a true tightend who has happens to be very good at catching passes.

I'd also say Clark is going to be more of the mor einteresting decisions mde this off-season. I know he was coming back off of a major injury and he didn't have Manning but he just didn't look the same. Clark has always had drops at times but this year he realy had an issue with it. I hate to say it because Dallas is my favorite player but I think there is a real chance he is not the player he was before the injury.

I am a die hard Colts fan and I love Manning, but looking at his injury history and age and putting my emotions aside, I think the best idea is to Trade Manning for some good Draft Picks, and Draft Luck ensuring another 15 years of good Colts football. If Manning was good for another 5-8 years I would feel much differently, but with a no money in our cap I feel this might actually be the best plan for the Colts Franchise going forward.

On a side note my wife had the same surgery as Manning and still has issues, and yes I know she is not a pro-athlete - if she was I wouldn't be working LOL -but after two years she still has after affects from it just by doing little things knocks her back down. I can only imagine what could happen to Manning if hit hard enough or at the right angle.

As I stated earlier I am a die hard colts and Manning fan, but if it was my money and my team I have to put emotions aside and do whats best for my franchise in the long run.

So if I am GM, this is what I would do.

A lot of you may not agree with me which is fine, but those that do I wander your thoughts on trading Manning for picks & maybe players, and drafting Luck, and finally who would you want to trade Manning to and for what????

I am a die hard Colts fan and I love Manning, but looking at his injury history and age and putting my emotions aside, I think the best idea is to Trade Manning for some good Draft Picks, and Draft Luck ensuring another 15 years of good Colts football. If Manning was good for another 5-8 years I would feel much differently, but with a no money in our cap I feel this might actually be the best plan for the Colts Franchise going forward.

On a side note my wife had the same surgery as Manning and still has issues, and yes I know she is not a pro-athlete - if she was I wouldn't be working LOL -but after two years she still has after affects from it just by doing little things knocks her back down. I can only imagine what could happen to Manning if hit hard enough or at the right angle.

As I stated earlier I am a die hard colts and Manning fan, but if it was my money and my team I have to put emotions aside and do whats best for my franchise in the long run.

A lot of you may not agree with me which is fine, but those that do I wander your thoughts on trading Manning for picks & maybe players, and drafting Luck, and finally who would you want to trade Manning to and for what????

Unless he agrees to push back is bonus his contract trading Manning is not possiable. More thanlikely if Manning is not here next year it will be because he was released.

1. Find a good GM. A lot of people say the McKenzie dude from Green Bay would be a great choice. Personally, I don't know much about GM candidates around the league to be able to make a well-informed comment on who it should be.

2. Fix the coaching staff. I want to get the coaching staff fixed before the draft, so they have all of their systems and methods ready to go for the new rookies. I would get rid of Caldwell, Jim Bob Cooter (who????), Rychleski, and move Murphy back to his job with the LBs. I would replace Caldwell with either Fisher, Billick, Perry Fewell, or Mike Zimmer in that order. I wouldn't find a replacement for Cooter (I seriously don't know who that is). I would replace Rychleski with Brad Seely (San Fran special teams coordinator), John Fassel (Oakland), or Chris Tabor (Cleveland) in that order, assuming they would leave their current positions. The new defensive coordinator would be either Zimmer or Spagnuolo, in that order. I would also look to hire Warren Sapp in some form, for a number of reasons I outlined in another thread. I would also want Bob Sanders on the team, maybe as a scout or DB coach or something, if he decides to stop playing.

3. Draft Luck 1st overall, draft the best player available in order of SS, CB, OG, DT, KR/PR, CB, depending on who is higher rather. That is to say, I have SS as a bigger need than OG, but if the best OG available is better than the best SS available, take the OG.

4. Try to restructure Addai so he is a smaller cap hit. Resign Mathis. Resign Wayne, but only at the right price; let him go if he wants too much. Try to restructure Clark and Freeney. Resign Jamaal Anderson to a 1 year deal. Let Diem, Painter, and Link go. I'm not sure what Orlovsky's current cap hit is, but I would restructure it to be $1.3 mil maximum. Resign Sims to a 1 year deal. Sign Bob Sanders (you expected me not to?) to a 1 year $500 000 contract loaded with performance incentives. If he wants more than $750 000, don't sign him. Resign Gonzo to a 1 year deal worth $600 000 max; if he wants anymore, let him walk. Resign Garcon.

5. Try to sign any of Carl Nicks, Paul Soliai, Carlos Rogers. This part depends on what happens with the team's FAs and what the team does in the draft.

2. Fix the coaching staff. I want to get the coaching staff fixed before the draft, so they have all of their systems and methods ready to go for the new rookies. I would get rid of Caldwell, Jim Bob Cooter (who????), Rychleski, and move Murphy back to his job with the LBs. I would replace Caldwell with either Fisher, Billick, Perry Fewell, or Mike Zimmer in that order. I wouldn't find a replacement for Cooter (I seriously don't know who that is). I would replace Rychleski with Brad Seely (San Fran special teams coordinator), John Fassel (Oakland), or Chris Tabor (Cleveland) in that order, assuming they would leave their current positions. The new defensive coordinator would be either Zimmer or Spagnuolo, in that order. I would also look to hire Warren Sapp in some form, for a number of reasons I outlined in another thread. I would also want Bob Sanders on the team, maybe as a scout or DB coach or something, if he decides to stop playing.

You wouldn't let your head coach fill his staff the way he sees fit?

You wouldn't let your head coach fill his staff the way he sees fit?

I don't want a complete overhaul. I don't want the head coach to bring in new guys for every coaching position. If my scenario did play out and I got Fisher or Billick, I would be more comfortable letting them fill the staff because they have done it before. If I got a coordinator and promoted him to head coach, I wouldn't be as comfortable letting him fill the staff because he has less experience.

I don't want a complete overhaul. I don't want the head coach to bring in new guys for every coaching position. If my scenario did play out and I got Fisher or Billick, I would be more comfortable letting them fill the staff because they have done it before. If I got a coordinator and promoted him to head coach, I wouldn't be as comfortable letting him fill the staff because he has less experience.

To me, that's meddling, and it's part of the problem with the Colts over the past few years. I think there should be a clear distinction showing where the GM stops and the coach starts, and in my opinion, the coach should be allowed to fill his staff as he sees fit. Primary reason is because the coach should have the authority to put in place the systems he believes in, with people he believes in, so that he can go full-bore and show what he's made of.

If you don't trust a coaching candidate enough to build his own staff, then, to me, he's not your guy.

To me, that's meddling, and it's part of the problem with the Colts over the past few years. I think there should be a clear distinction showing where the GM stops and the coach starts, and in my opinion, the coach should be allowed to fill his staff as he sees fit. Primary reason is because the coach should have the authority to put in place the systems he believes in, with people he believes in, so that he can go full-bore and show what he's made of.

If you don't trust a coaching candidate enough to build his own staff, then, to me, he's not your guy.

Hm....makes sense. Would you trust a coordinator to do that? Would you hire Mike Zimmer and let him fill the staff with his people? I think another of the problems that hurt the team was that Caldwell brought in his boys instead of hiring the most competent person for the job. He brought in guys like Coyer and Rychleski who (I've heard, not 100% sure) he is friends with and had connections to prior to them joining the Colts.

Hm....makes sense. Would you trust a coordinator to do that? Would you hire Mike Zimmer and let him fill the staff with his people? I think another of the problems that hurt the team was that Caldwell brought in his boys instead of hiring the most competent person for the job. He brought in guys like Coyer and Rychleski who (I've heard, not 100% sure) he is friends with and had connections to prior to them joining the Colts.

Caldwell had connections to Coyer through Iowa. I don't understand the hire because it seems Caldwell wanted the Tampa 2 all along, and that's not Coyer. I thought he brought Coyer in to get away from such exclusive Tampa 2, and it worked well in the first year. He also had connections to Rychleski from Wake Forest. I don't think either of those decisions were just because he knew them, but being comfortable with people is important at a certain level.

The GM can exercise oversight with what the head coach is doing on his staff, you know, sign off on his choices and what not. But I wouldn't hire a coach and then tell him "here's your coordinators, here are your position coaches," etc. That's Jerry Jones-type stuff (he famously hired Jason Garrett as the offensive coordinator before he hired Wade Phillips as head coach).

All any of us are doing is throwing names out there. A guy like Mike Zimmer would be much more qualified to name his assistant staff than we would.

Ideally, in my mind, the coach answers to the GM, but the GM works on behalf of the coach. It's the GM's job to help the coach implement his vision, give him the players he needs to be successful, and let him make his coaching decisions. The GM figures out how to get the best players, and the coach figures out how best to use them. So if you hire a coach who wants to run the 3-4, you don't stick him with a 4-3 coordinator and give him 4-3 personnel. Why even hire him? There's only going to be problems.

As a GM, you should hire good people, and let them do their job. You make it as easy as possible for them to do their job. It's a high profile position, head coach. So if you don't think the guy can handle finding good people and delegating responsibility to them, then maybe he's not cut out to be a head coach. So if you like Zimmer, but don't think he can handle the other aspects, then the question becomes "how much do you REALLY like him?" He's a defensive guy, but he can't handle filling out his defensive staff?

To be honest, I don't think Zimmer has the head coach qualities that I think are important. I think he's better suited to be a coordinator. This is just based on what I've seen and read about him. I think he's a really good guy and a really good defensive coordinator, but I think he'd have some of the same issues Raheem Morris and Steve Spagnuolo had.

Caldwell had connections to Coyer through Iowa. I don't understand the hire because it seems Caldwell wanted the Tampa 2 all along, and that's not Coyer. I thought he brought Coyer in to get away from such exclusive Tampa 2, and it worked well in the first year. He also had connections to Rychleski from Wake Forest. I don't think either of those decisions were just because he knew them, but being comfortable with people is important at a certain level.

The GM can exercise oversight with what the head coach is doing on his staff, you know, sign off on his choices and what not. But I wouldn't hire a coach and then tell him "here's your coordinators, here are your position coaches," etc. That's Jerry Jones-type stuff (he famously hired Jason Garrett as the offensive coordinator before he hired Wade Phillips as head coach).

All any of us are doing is throwing names out there. A guy like Mike Zimmer would be much more qualified to name his assistant staff than we would.

Ideally, in my mind, the coach answers to the GM, but the GM works on behalf of the coach. It's the GM's job to help the coach implement his vision, give him the players he needs to be successful, and let him make his coaching decisions. The GM figures out how to get the best players, and the coach figures out how best to use them. So if you hire a coach who wants to run the 3-4, you don't stick him with a 4-3 coordinator and give him 4-3 personnel. Why even hire him? There's only going to be problems.

As a GM, you should hire good people, and let them do their job. You make it as easy as possible for them to do their job. It's a high profile position, head coach. So if you don't think the guy can handle finding good people and delegating responsibility to them, then maybe he's not cut out to be a head coach. So if you like Zimmer, but don't think he can handle the other aspects, then the question becomes "how much do you REALLY like him?" He's a defensive guy, but he can't handle filling out his defensive staff?

To be honest, I don't think Zimmer has the head coach qualities that I think are important. I think he's better suited to be a coordinator. This is just based on what I've seen and read about him. I think he's a really good guy and a really good defensive coordinator, but I think he'd have some of the same issues Raheem Morris and Steve Spagnuolo had.

Very well said!

I've heard that QB's hear "TAPS" playing in the background when they learn that Martz is their new OC.

With the Colts O-line, if Martz was the OC...........Manning..........RIP :faint:

Absolutely! Martz likes complicated deep routes which take a long time to develop. This gets quarterbacks killed unless the line is solid, like it was in St Louis when Martz was there, but unfortunately the Colt lines have been neglected for most of the last decade in favor of skill players such as receivers, running backs, and defensive backs.

If anything the Colts should move to more of a short to medium passing game complemented with a strong running game because Manning's arm strength is diminished. I really like what the Patriots do with Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Welker. The Colts could do something similar with Clark, Tamme, and Collie all on the field at the same time although it would be nice to get a good big tight end like Gronkowski if possible to really complete the package.

Absolutely! Martz likes complicated deep routes which take a long time to develop. This gets quarterbacks killed unless the line is solid, like it was in St Louis when Martz was there, but unfortunately the Colt lines have been neglected for most of the last decade in favor of skill players such as receivers, running backs, and defensive backs.

If anything the Colts should move to more of a short to medium passing game complemented with a strong running game because Manning's arm strength is diminished. I really like what the Patriots do with Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Welker. The Colts could do something similar with Clark, Tamme, and Collie all on the field at the same time although it would be nice to get a good big tight end like Gronkowski if possible to really complete the package.

We have gronks' brother already.He's on IR.I hope we keep him,and either use him as TE or FB.I think its in the genes.

I sadly, agree.

1) Hire a new head coach and move Caldwell to QB coach or assistant coach

2) Ask Manning to restructure his deal, if not then cut or trade him

3) Draft Andrew Luck and a WR,CB,DT,SS,TE

4) Pick up quality Free Agents

5) Cut Hughes, Brackett, Clark, Addai, Painter, and Bullitt

6) Resign Mathis, Garcon, Orlovsky, Tamme, Sims, Pollak, and Foster

7) Retain Mike Murphy as DC

8) Fire Clyde Christensen as OC

Unless he agrees to push back is bonus his contract trading Manning is not possiable. More thanlikely if Manning is not here next year it will be because he was released.

It's almost comical at this point. People keep saying trade Manning and you keep telling them that the team can't trade him without taking a cap hit. I don't understand why this is such a hard concept. It is just not economical to trade him. End of story.

I'd fire Caldwell then go after Chris Peterson from Boise state, his youthfulness can breath some fresh air into the colts, and I bet the chance at coachIng Peyton manning cloud lure him away from Boise

He just got an extension and pay increase at Boise. I like Peterson as well. He was on my short list. That deal effectively crosses him off though.

but unfortunately the Colt lines have been neglected for most of the last decade in favor of skill players such as receivers, running backs, and defensive backs.

People keep saying this, and it's not true. Polian made some mistakes on the offensive line from 2007 to 2010, but neglect it he did not. The line fell apart because of Glenn's retirement, Jake Scott going to Tennessee, a bunch of injuries, and several young players who were either not ready to play or weren't very good. It's unfortunate, but it wasn't an issue of neglect.

I'll also note that from 2003 to 2007, the Colts had one of the very best offensive lines in football.

It's almost comical at this point. People keep saying trade Manning and you keep telling them that the team can't trade him without taking a cap hit. I don't understand why this is such a hard concept. It is just not economical to trade him. End of story.

Quite a few people here never let a silly little thing like facts get in the way of making ridiculous comments.

What happens if we trade Manning for players instead of draft picks? Do we take a cap hit from Manning AND the players we traded for?

Well I think two things, one people can't see us just giving Peyton Manning up for nothing and second not everyone is on the same level of NFL nerd in this regards and might not be aware we can't trade him so that's why I just try to tell them and I really hope it comes across as just trying to tell them not talking down to them because I can completely understand if people didn't know that going in.

We aren't going to be able to take part in FA this year, at least not to an extent whereas you might recognize any names acquired

If I'm GM, I concentrate wholly on defense. With that Manning guy returning, I know my offense will be self sufficient so long as I keep everyone in place (Wayne). Spagnolo (sp?) would be a great fit for our new DC, I would pursue him with earnest. As for a HC, I would have to think that Fisher would be the best fit of the marquee HC's available. His persona seems to fit our culture as well.

Why not Dungy though? Pull him outta that TV analyst job, he sucks at it. Love me some Dungy, but fella, you are one of the most awkward analysts on the air. Him and Rodney look almost terrified of the camera.

But, they look like journalist majors compared to Shannon Sharpe. Kidding aside, I agree with the focus on defense. (run stop, db's) But we did try to beef up our O-line some this yr for a better run game. But what good is that without a top running back, & big, blocking tight ends. Fisher does have the respect for Manning, (remember the jersey?) and, players will buy into Dungy. Plus, I'm going to want a hefty salary for being GM. I wouldn't do it, but, I think the Colt's are going to try & get a king's ransom by trading Manning, then, try to wing it from there for the time being. Man, I hope I'm dead wrong on that one.

What happens if we trade Manning for players instead of draft picks? Do we take a cap hit from Manning AND the players we traded for?

We would take the cap hit on Manning and have to pick up the contracts of the players we picked up but they would have to pay the cap hit for those players not us. If BAV is floating around here he would be best to explain exactly how that would all work out he unerstands salary cap stuff better than anyone else here.

We would take the cap hit on Manning and have to pick up the contracts of the players we picked up but they would have to pay the cap hit for those players not us. If BAV is floating around here he would be best to explain exactly how that would all work out he unerstands salary cap stuff better than anyone else here.

If that were the case, trading is not out of the picture! Trade Manning to a team for a number of players close to his cap space. We could get young talent for Manning even if they aren't rookies!

Agree with most of this CCH but... A few tweeks lol

1. Hire Jeff Fisher as Head coach, hire Tom Clements as OC, go hard after Steve Spags as DC.

2. Cut Gonzalez and Collins. Ask Peyton, Freeney, Brackett, Addai to restructure. TRADE CLARK!

3. Resign Mathis and Garcon and Wayne. Sign Jeff Saturday to a 1 year deal.

4. Sign Carl Nicks, Carlos Rodgers, Paul Soliai

5. Draft RG3..Barron..Streeter..Poe..Miller..Mosley

QB- Manning/Rg3

RB- Brown/Addai/Carter

WR- Wayne/Garcon/Collie/Streeter

TE- Tamme/Eldridge

LT- Castonzo/Mosley

LG- Nicks/Miller

C- Saturday/Pollak

RG- Reitz

RT- Ijalana

LDE- Mathis/Anderson/Addison