Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Castonzo, Mewhort, Holmes, Thornton, Reitz

CR91

whats the confidence level? I still think thornton should not be starting. Id rather have reitz move to guard and have good play RT.

Goode I think was injured last game.  I had thought about that, but I think they would need to know from practice as to how well he could hold up against starters.

In the pre-season he did ok but he was playing backups.  

You want to start a 7th round rookie out of a D3 school at RT? No thanks. Thornton is bad, but Good would be a lot worse.

good looked good (no pun intended) in preseason if what its worth and its not like thornton has shown anything to show hes any better. might as well see what good can do

Goode I think was injured last game.  I had thought about that, but I think they would need to know from practice as to how well he could hold up against starters.

I thought he was just inactive

I think Reitz is serviceable as well but it's only a matter of time before Reitz gets injured. He has the bug, it's true. I liked what he brought to the table last year in the playoffs so I'm not trying to make him look bad. What Pagano should try is -- Castonzo, Reitz, Holmes, Thornton, Mewhort. It's worth a shot too.

Goode I think was injured last game. I had thought about that, but I think they would need to know from practice as to how well he could hold up against starters.

He was healthy scratch. He has never been on the injury report.

I think Reitz is serviceable as well but it's only a matter of time before Reitz gets injured. He has the bug, it's true. I liked what he brought to the table last year in the playoffs so I'm not trying to make him look bad. What Pagano should try is -- Castonzo, Reitz, Holmes, Thornton, Mewhort. It's worth a shot too.

I think mewhort is a better guard then tackle

But I think Reitz isn't as good at Tackle as he is as guard though. lol

I'm sort of with both on this.  In the long term I'd like to have Mewhort at guard.

I will say in the mean time that I thought Reitz did a solid job at RT against the Titans.  So they may have to just play this by ear.

whats the confidence level? I still think thornton should not be starting. Id rather have reitz move to guard and have good play RT.

You want to start a 7th round rookie out of a D3 school at RT? No thanks. Thornton is bad, but Good would be a lot worse.

what happened to Mewhort in this scenario lol?

or when stating moving Reitz to guard are we saying as a back up?

We need to put Mewhort back at RT and Reitz at Left Guard, Leave Thornton at RG, Outside his penalties(2 of which were questionable) he had a fantastic game(92.7 blocking grade), Our pressure came mostly from the Tackles

this is imo the best scenerio to see played out the remainder of the season....

Castonzo, Reitz, Holmes, Thornton, Mewhort

now the only argument that I would offer against this line up is: I believe Mewhort on the outside is NOT at par in regards to protection. I DO believe that is why the first 2 games we saw such an overuse of max protect plays. Specifically, additional protection from skill positions on the right side. 

I think that keeping Reitz at RT offers the only person in said position to NOT necessitate having additional support to their right side.

Now, I do like the combo of:

Castonzo, Thornton, Holmes, Mewhort, Reitz

and I think this would work fairly efficiently. But then again...im typing from my job, which is not at an NFL facility lol.

thats why I said move him to guard and start good at RT

Sunday would be a nice time to try Good out I think. Maybe rotate Good and Reitz in throughout the game? I heard that he may have an injury, that is why he was inactive last weekend.

What is it about Thornton that you don't like? I rewatched the game because of the hatred for him on here and he wasn't crying on the sideline and other than the penalties he was good. 1 of those penalties was bogus too by the way.

I really think Thornton just needs coaching to get better and establish more stable technique.  

As mentioned before he was very solid in run blocking but he tends to reach and grab on passing downs.  

This is simply using good foot work and not over commit (aka; leaning forward and off balance which causes him to feel he has to grab.  

This may sound odd now but I think we will be a very solid guard in the future but he is truly in a learning stage.  he does appear to have a dedicated heart and wears it on his sleeve.

Now its time to focus that heart at becoming more stalwart  

I think Good will eventually be the starting RT.  Sure, he was playing against backups but the talent is there.  He has quick feet, great size and strength.  He would fire out of his stance and engage and they couldn't get around him.  I hope at some point this season he is RT and Reitz is right guard.  I think that is best lineup with what we have.  I don't know what is wrong with Thornton.  He has all the ability in the world.

Leave Thornton at RG, Outside his penalties(2 of which were questionable) he had a fantastic game(92.7 blocking grade),

Thank you....I watched the game again because of the hatred for him on here and was shocked how great he looked, I was expecting a turnstile and he was nothing close to that. I also didn't see him crying either, not that that matters to me. 

Thank you....I watched the game again because of the hatred for him on here and was shocked how great he looked, I was expecting a turnstile and he was nothing close to that. I also didn't see him crying either, not that that matters to me. 

the hate came from him being called for 6 penalties.  some of which were pretty shaky calls but some were pretty bad on his part too

he made some great run blocks, but left a lot to be desired in pass protection

What is it about Thornton that you don't like? I rewatched the game because of the hatred for him on here and he wasn't crying on the sideline and other than the penalties he was good. 1 of those penalties was bogus too by the way.

way too much holding. It's killing the Colts and he had four of those Sunday plus a false start that took them out of field goal range. I know thats correctable but you can't afford to let him keep making those mistakes.

the hate came from him being called for 6 penalties.  some of which were pretty shaky calls but some were pretty bad on his part too

he made some great run blocks, but left a lot to be desired in pass protection

There were only 3 holding calls on him. I think it was 4 penalties in total.

way too much holding. It's killing the Colts and he had four of those Sunday plus a false start that took them out of field goal range. I know thats correctable but you can't afford to let him keep making those mistakes.

I think there were only 3 holding penalties (1 totally bogus), but anyway. Me personally, I'd rather he hold than give up a sack especially considering Luck is on the injury report again. So I say you can't afford to keep giving up sacks, we don't know how much more Luck can take.

My opinion about this line is that the staff thinks 1) they are the 5 best OL on the roster; 2) Reitz is better at RT (than LG); and 3) JM is better at LG (than RT). I don't disagree with any of that...the Reitz vs. JM discussion is interesting and a case can be made to start either one of them at either position. I also think if everyone stays healthy, by midway point of the season, this will actually be an effective line-up. I, too, am interested in Good but he only cracks the line-up this year with two or three injuries, and I'm just fine with that.

Polian lamented that he was fired for not having a back up quarterback in 2011. What's the going rate/ pwnalty for not having starting caliber center, right guard, and tackle these days?

I think we can beat Jacks with Hasselbeck in there honestly. I am sure Andrew will play though. I am talking QB's because I am glad we played Collins, Painter and Orlovsky that season which made us stink to be able to get Andrew. That 1 bad season was a blessing if you ask me. Had we had a decent backup to Peyton we would've never of had the #1 pick.

Just a suggestion and not a shot at anyone here but to get a true look on which O Line is at fault getting the all 22 would help and  not just blaming a guy because of a penalty he may or may not have commited or pressure that came from somewhere but not given up by him....provided you have an understanding of at least the basics of blocking schemes and know what Stunts are

That's not to say Im the best judge of that by any means but the all 22 is a big eye opener. in my opinion it gives a totally different view and different understanding of what actually happened on a play

Put me in the "I'm ok with last week's lineup" camp.  Those 5 are the most powerful linemen we have and are the 5 I want if we are trying to establish a run game to make the play action work.  Herreman's and Louis are garbage.  Jury is still out on Goode.  We are one injury away from being in big trouble and it is likely either Reitz, Holmes, or Thornton will miss time based on their injury histories.  We have more than just offensive line needs that need addressed through future drafts and FA, but we HAVE to make OL a priority the next 2 years to protect the franchise.  We need 3 more quality linemen with the talent level of Castanzo and Mewhort.  That way, we can have Holmes, Thornton, Reitz, and possibly Goode as quality backups for injury situations.  5 quality starters and 4 quality backups is a luxury I don't remember us ever having.  Throw in an Oline coach that is big on teaching technique and I'll throw cart wheels.  Oh yeah, and let Pag's pick a new OC.

Just a suggestion and not a shot at anyone here but to get a true look on which O Line is at fault getting the all 22 would help and  not just blaming a guy because of a penalty he may or may not have commited or pressure that came from somewhere but not given up by him....provided you have an understanding of at least the basics of blocking schemes and know what Stunts are

That's not to say Im the best judge of that by any means but the all 22 is a big eye opener. in my opinion it gives a totally different view and different understanding of what actually happened on a play

I would love to just see one full game where Andrew has a clean pocket for 90% of the game like Brady and Rodgers have. Rodgers on Monday had all night to throw and was smiling after every play like he was toying with KC. The O.Line owes it to Andrew this week to protect him. We are playing a weak opponent at home so here's their chance.

Are you willing to let Luck get hurt by leaving Jack alone or are you willing to take the TEs/ RBs out of the short passing game????  This what happened in the 1st 2 games.

IMO, I would leave O-line as it was in Titan's game.  Have Herreman back up Reitz.