Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This could immediately fix some big issues

GOCOLTS_ROLLTIDE

3 things that could immediately help us going fwd... These are all my objective opinion, I've calmed down I figured now It would be better to post something lol

1. In the event that we play a team that's running a lot of man with blitzes. .. CROSSING ROUTES!!

2. Approach the start of every game as if we're down 21 points... I made a suggestion that all week of practice they should treat it that way and for home games have the It on the scoreboard in warm ups. .

3. This may seem irrelevant but, it's actually very important. ... Stop electing to receive at the coin Toss it's counter productive. . I learned from playing little league, middle school, high school, and college that you always deferr till 2nd half. . especially with this team you want Andrew and co. Setting the tone for the 2nd half not the beginning of the game. ....,

I think making smarter decisions on special teams would be a bigger help both in terms of who to put back there and what they do with the ball once back there.  If you keep stating at the five every drive or worse yet having a turnover on those plays kills you. 

I would like to see them go out the no huddle quick offense more often.  That seems to be when the offense is at it's best but they don't go to it until either when it's the end of the half and you are up against the clock or when they are down big in the second half. 

I too would like to see them defer when they win the toss, especially in a game like this when you know the Bills defense is going to playing out of their minds at the start of the game and you might need it to start the second half.  Had they gone on that long drive and made it 17-7 that's a lot different then when they made it 24-8.  Neither is a good spot to be in but 17-7 and maybe you swing the momentum a little bit. 

I'm not sure if it's me, but it seems like the Colts tried to run a lot of mid-long range plays when the Bills were blitzing darn near every single play. With an OL as inconsistent as they are one would think this would be a bad idea.

I don't notice a lot of quick passes, slants, screens, dinks and dump offs one would imagine they should use against a devastating Bills D. The Bills secondary played great though so maybe no one was getting open.

I think making smarter decisions on special teams would be a bigger help both in terms of who to put back there and what they do with the ball once back there. If you keep stating at the five every drive or worse yet having a turnover on those plays kills you.

I would like to see them go out the no huddle quick offense more often. That seems to be when the offense is at it's best but they don't go to it until either when it's the end of the half and you are up against the clock or when they are down big in the second half.

I too would like to see them defer when they win the toss, especially in a game like this when you know the Bills defense is going to playing out of their minds at the start of the game and you might need it to start the second half. Had they gone on that long drive and made it 17-7 that's a lot different then when they made it 24-8. Neither is a good spot to be in but 17-7 and maybe you swing the momentum a little bit.

@first paragraph. .. Your right about that but I'm speaking in general... That's how we got killed in the Past yrs.... This could've worked today

I'm not sure if it's me, but it seems like the Colts tried to run a lot of mid-long range plays when the Bills were blitzing darn near every single play. With an OL as inconsistent as they are one would think this would be a bad idea.

^^^ Exactly they should have dinked and dunked Patriots style than when they sucked the Bills defense in let TY or Dorsett burn them on some deep routes.  Watching them try to throw deep every time knowing the Bills were blitzing was maddening.

@first paragraph. .. Your right about that but I'm speaking in general... That's how we got killed in the Past yrs.... This could've worked today

I think fixing the special teams mistakes would have helped a lot today.  The last fumble by Dorsett ended any real hope there was at a comeback and the two drives that started inside the five were over before they started thanks to bad special decisions.  There is no reason Dorsett should have still been back there fielding punts after the fair catch inside the five and the one he muffed before the fumble.  So I would put that on the coaches a little bit but Dorsett is the one who kept making the mistakes.

I think fixing the special teams mistakes would have helped a lot today.  The last fumble by Dorsett ended any real hope there was at a comeback and the two drives that started inside the five were over before they started thanks to bad special decisions.  There is no reason Dorsett should have still been back there fielding punts after the fair catch inside the five and the one he muffed before the fumble.  So I would put that on the coaches a little bit but Dorsett is the one who kept making the mistakes.

I agree Dorsett was probably a bad choice in hindsight, but I think they were probably thinking he gave them the best chance for a punt return TD so they rolled the dice. 

3 things that could immediately help us going fwd... These are all my objective opinion, I've calmed down I figured now It would be better to post something lol

1. In the event that we play a team that's running a lot of man with blitzes. .. CROSSING ROUTES!!

2. Approach the start of every game as if we're down 21 points... I made a suggestion that all week of practice they should treat it that way and for home games have the It on the scoreboard in warm ups. .

3. This may seem irrelevant but, it's actually very important. ... Stop electing to receive at the coin Toss it's counter productive. . I learned from playing little league, middle school, high school, and college that you always deferr till 2nd half. . especially with this team you want Andrew and co. Setting the tone for the 2nd half not the beginning of the game. ....,

Good stuff

How does deferring help us? So, after we start slowly, it will then be even later in the game when we get it together and score our first points. In the meantime does anyone trust this defense to hold the opponent down?

How about we just come prepared to play and start jumping out on teams.

How does deferring help us? So, after we start slowly, it will then be even later in the game when we get it together and score our first points. In the meantime does anyone trust this defense to hold the opponent down?

Especially if you are the road team, fans to start the game are about as amped up as they are going to be making crowd noise an issue, about half the fans starting the second half are either still waiting in lines at the bathroom, still getting food or booze, outside smoking, or have settled into the game and may not be in such a frenzy, making the crowd noise less of a factor.  I see it all the time at LOS, we aren't nearly as loud starting the second half as the beginning of the game.

If you have a lead at half, that first possession of the second could be the dagger that seals the deal.  If you are behind at half that first possession coud allow you to get back into the game after you've made some halftime adjustments.  If you are behind at half and the opponent has the ball to start the second half and they score more points putting you even further behind, it might just be a big enough lead you can't overcome, as we saw Sunday.

This team has been a notoriously slow starter, so even though we are getting the ball first, rarely are we putting the other team behind by the time we are finished with the first drive.  Deffering to the second half should be a no brainer for this team

I don't notice a lot of quick passes, slants, screens, dinks and dump offs one would imagine they should use against a devastating Bills D. The Bills secondary played great though so maybe no one was getting open.

I'm just your average joe giving it my best eye test, but yeah why go for broke like a homeless person buying scratch off lottery tickets, and take what you have?

This last sentence. Especially, this last sentence.