Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano/grigson Joint Press Conference

HtownColt

@HolderStephen: re: defensive line, Pagano says we've already gotten a glimpse of the young players. "We have guys that can play." Says they also fit scheme

@HolderStephen: Parry is the starting nose. No clear answer at DT, but options are Anderson, McGill, Kerr.

@HolderStephen: re: cutting of Chaman, Hughes. "The other guys played better." (Pagano)

@HolderStephen: Boom Herron was not a season-ending injury. Tough, tough decision Grigson said.

@bkravitz: Grigson: Feel great about RB group. Love Ballard, if healthy, Varga, Josh Robinson and Gore

@bkravitz: Grigson: Saw glimpses from Ballard and none of the injuries this season have been major.

@bkravitz: Grigson: Okine has been impressive. Loved his workout late last year. On McGill, thought he popped most on film. A "sawed off roughneck.''

@bkravitz: Colts say Josh Robinson is ok and has gone through the concussion protocol.

@mchappell51: Pagano: Josh Robinson has completed concussion protocol. Greg Toler still week-to-week. Not encouraging for Toler to be ready for Buffalo

@mchappell51: Pagano: Sio Moore. Glad we got him. Fast, athletic, high energy, run and hit player.

The Boom decision still perplexes me, we easily could have put Varga on the PS and kept Boom.  And that's assuming Ballard can play.

The biggest concern is Toler.  We're not exactly facing a murderers row of QBs the first five games though.  So it's kind of good to give the other guys reps now.

I wonder if Pags is talking about the Sio Moore before the hip injury or the guy we have?

The Boom decision still perplexes me, we easily could have put Varga on the PS and kept Boom.  And that's assuming Ballard can play.

The biggest concern is Toler.  We're not exactly facing a murderers row of QBs the first five games though.  So it's kind of good to give the other guys reps now.

I wonder if Pags is talking about the Sio Moore before the hip injury or the guy we have?

I guess that the Colts wanted to keep a Rb that was not injured and could play, if needed, the first week or two.

Agree completely with your second point.

Has anyone heard if he is fully recovered from the hip surgery?  I have not even heard what type of surgery was performed.  If it was similar to D. Allen's it may not be too bad.

I guess that the Colts wanted to keep a Rb that was not injured and could play, if needed, the first week or two.

Agree completely with your second point.

Has anyone heard if he is fully recovered from the hip surgery? I have not even heard what type of surgery was performed. If it was similar to D. Allen's it may not be too bad.

From what I read from links in the thread about the trade, he is fully cleared and played some jn the preseason but his attitude caused a falling out in Oakland

From what I read from links in the thread about the trade, he is fully cleared and played some jn the preseason but his attitude caused a falling out in Oakland

Yeah, he must have passed the physical.  I've read a lot of the Raiders board comments and no one is happy about the trade.  They all think that DelRio didn't like him and they don't believe that the other guys were really better.

But I think he only played something like 11 snaps in the preseason, so I'm suspect until I see him play.  I won't be surprised if he's not active Sunday.  Mainly because he doesn't know the D yet.

I heard that he and Del Rio did not get along and Del Rio was going to relegate Sio to a back up role.

Hopefully it was just an issue between him and Del Rio and not a general attitude problem.

@HolderStephen: re: defensive line, Pagano says we've already gotten a glimpse of the young players. "We have guys that can play." Says they also fit scheme

@HolderStephen: Parry is the starting nose. No clear answer at DT, but options are Anderson, McGill, Kerr.

@HolderStephen: re: cutting of Chaman, Hughes. "The other guys played better." (Pagano)

@HolderStephen: Boom Herron was not a season-ending injury. Tough, tough decision Grigson said.

@bkravitz: Grigson: Feel great about RB group. Love Ballard, if healthy, Varga, Josh Robinson and Gore

@bkravitz: Grigson: Saw glimpses from Ballard and none of the injuries this season have been major.

@bkravitz: Grigson: Okine has been impressive. Loved his workout late last year. On McGill, thought he popped most on film. A "sawed off roughneck.''

@bkravitz: Colts say Josh Robinson is ok and has gone through the concussion protocol.

@mchappell51: Pagano: Josh Robinson has completed concussion protocol. Greg Toler still week-to-week. Not encouraging for Toler to be ready for Buffalo

@mchappell51: Pagano: Sio Moore. Glad we got him. Fast, athletic, high energy, run and hit player.

So that puts an end to the idea that Chapman and Hughes got cut because they didn't fit the scheme. They got outplayed and that's straight from the coaches mouth. It's also too blunt to be considered just "coach talk".

I'm satisfied now. I like the direction this staff is going.

The biggest concern is Toler.  We're not exactly facing a murderers row of QBs the first five games though.  So it's kind of good to give the other guys reps now. I wonder if Pags is talking about the Sio Moore before the hip injury or the guy we have?

Sounds like they are going with guys whose style is more between the tackles. Preference for more physical type runners over speed. I liked Boom as a back up option. Thought he brought a change of pace to the mix with his speed...fumbling issue aside. Guess they are really feeling Ballard and believe him to be part his previous injuries. Who really knows?

Sounds like they are going with guys whose style is more between the tackles. Preference for more physical type runners over speed. I liked Boom as a back up option. Thought he brought a change of pace to the mix with his speed...fumbling issue aside. Guess they are really feeling Ballard and believe him to be part his previous injuries. Who really knows?

Boom had one run of 20+ yards last year, so what speed would you be referring to?

Yeah, all 4 backs are very similar to each other now. Boom was more like Brown*, he had the home run ability but he would also go down fairly easily. We won't have much change of pace but we will continue to pound the defense all game long.

*To be clear, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, Brown played his best ball in the Power O.

I will add this: I think some of you need to realize that backup running backs are THE most replaceable players in the NFL. This is fact.

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

September 7, 2015

I will add this: I think some of you need to realize that backup running backs are THE most replaceable players in the NFL. This is fact.

Don't be fooled for a minute. Every single position is replaceable. It's just a question of how good you want to be. Some GM's don't give a crap and any able body will fit the roll. Ultimately, if you have good starters and they do not have any injury issues, you could argue that you hardly need any back-ups?

Don't be fooled for a minute. Every single position is replaceable. It's just a question of how good you want to be. Some GM's don't give a crap and any able body will fit the roll. Ultimately, if you have good starters and they do not have any injury issues, you could argue that you hardly need any back-ups?

Almost every position*

The number of 20+ yard runs a player has doesn't say he is fast or slow. There is many factors that play into that stat.

I think I covered that yesterday.

Frank Gore had 5 runs of 20+ yards last year, Boom and Trent had 1 each. Lots of backs with less than 5 and some with zero. Appears that long speed has little to do with home runs..... DeMarco Murray had 15 with arguably the best OL in the league.

Frank Gore had 5 runs of 20+ yards last year, Boom and Trent had 1 each. Lots of backs with less than 5 and some with zero. Appears that long speed has little to do with home runs..... DeMarco Murray had 15 with arguably the best OL in the league.

Can't argue with that logic. I do believe long speed does help, but the blocking and development of a play is the major factors for a home run play.

Holder is right backup RB is one of the most easily replaced positions in the NFL. That is why I don't get why people are so concerned about Ballard sticking around. Ballard if he does happen to go down during the season could be easily be replaced.

I don't think that's the point. People are upset with the fact that he is taking up a roster spot when we have other needs.

Only possible reason I can see with building a stable of tough rather than breakneck speed backs is to make up for the crappy OL. We just need tough backs that can grind out some short yards so we have manageable 2nd and 3rd downs. The inbetween yardage can be had with the dink and dunk game and you don't need great runners for that, just good hands possession backs/receivers. Only contradiction to this theory is Ballard, as I am not sure he can bang it in there with two bad pins. 

That's because Frank Gore is a better back. He's no where near the home run threat Boom is, though. Gore will make a lot more out of nothing but if there's a nice hole Boom presents a much better chance of taking it the distance. As for Murray, he played behind the best line that the NFL has seen in years and he's just a better back than Boom.

Also, I don't consider 20 yard runs to be "home runs". 40+, maybe 50+, those are home runs.

That's because Frank Gore is a better back, he's no where near the home run threat Boom is, though. Gore will make a lot more out of nothing but if there's a nice hole Boom presents a much better chance of taking it the distance. As for Murray, he played behind the best line that the NFL has seen in years and he's a better back than Boom.

Also, I don't consider 20 yard runs to be "home runs". 40+, maybe 50+, those are home runs.

I don't think you quite get it ... as usual. The stats show that 20+ yard runs are very rare. 40+ are unicorns and only appear on highlight reels. And it sure the hell isn't because there is a shortage of fast backs in this league. Chris Johnson only had one run of 20+ yards last year and they don't get any faster than that.

I don't think that's the point. People are upset with the fact that he is taking up a roster spot when we have other needs.

Only possible reason I can see with building a stable of tough rather than breakneck speed backs is to make up for the crappy OL. We just need tough backs that can grind out some short yards so we have manageable 2nd and 3rd downs. The inbetween yardage can be had with the dink and dunk game and you don't need great runners for that, just good hands possession backs/receivers. Only contradiction to this theory is Ballard, as I am not sure he can bang it in there with two bad pins. 

You have some points that are interesting. I do think we need power backs with good vision to cover up the faults of our O-line in the run game like you said. I personally think that Ballard can run it up the middle of the defense, and even better yet can offer a good pass catching/ pass protecting skills in the backfield. He also is the only back other than Gore with live NFL regular season experience pass protecting. I think he will have his role in this offense mostly as a 3rd down situation back. I can see why people would be mad as we have other needs, but who could we possibly pick up now that could really viably fill one of our needs?

I don't think you quite get it ... as usual. The stats show that 20+ yard runs are very rare. 40+ are unicorns and only appear on highlight reels. And it sure the hell isn't because there is a shortage of fast backs in this league. Chris Johnson only had one run of 20+ yards last year and they don't get any faster than that.

I don't get it as usual. Really rich coming from you.

Chris Johnson is broken, he broke big runs all the time when he was good.

You're right, big runs don't happen often but it's the threat of the big run. Boom Herron is more of a threat to break a long run than Frank Gore, period. Donald Brown is more of a threat to break a long run than Frank Gore, period. Are they even close to being worthy of holding Frank Gore's jock strap? No, but they can catch that unicorn easier than Frank.

I don't get it as usual. Really rich coming from you.

Chris Johnson is broken, he broke big runs all the time when he was good.

You're right, big runs don't happen often but it's the threat of the big run. Boom Herron is more of a threat to break a long run than Frank Gore, period. Donald Brown is more of a threat to break a long run than Frank Gore, period. Are they even close to being worthy of holding Frank Gore's jock strap? No, but they can catch that unicorn easier than Frank.

Every back who runs a 4.6 or better is a threat at any time. Old news. I can threaten to come to your house and kick the crap out of you but if I don't ever do it then why bother threatening. This is football, not track .... you need some meat on them bones!

Every back who runs a 4.6 or better is a threat at any time. Old news. I can threaten to come to your house and kick the crap out of you but if I don't ever do it then why bother threatening. This is football, not track .... you need some meat on them bones!

Not even close. With your simplistic view Trent Richardson and Adrian Peterson are equally capable long threats. And nice analogy, *.

You have some points that are interesting. I do think we need power backs with good vision to cover up the faults of our O-line in the run game like you said. I personally think that Ballard can run it up the middle of the defense, and even better yet can offer a good pass catching/ pass protecting skills in the backfield. He also is the only back other than Gore with live NFL regular season experience pass protecting. I think he will have his role in this offense mostly as a 3rd down situation back. I can see why people would be mad as we have other needs, but who could we possibly pick up now that could really viably fill one of our needs?

Personally .... I would dangle Dorsett out there. We don't need two dinky receivers and the money is guaranteed to TY. Couple that with a draft pick and maybe you can find a good DL or OL out there. Just a thought.