Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Demaryius Thomas reaches 5 yr. $70 mil. agreement with Broncos

chad72

Imagine what the Detroit Lions must be feeling having given an outlier of a contract that WRs still cannot match a few years later.

They probably should have just let CJ play out his contract and let the market speak. Instead, they wanted to make sure they kept him without using the tag. His rookie contract was poorly structured, and they're still paying the cost. 

TY isn't on Dez's level but I'm sure TY will make a shade under Dez and Dem's pay. I'm thinking anywhere between 10-12M a year for TY but still may be too early to start thinking about that yet.

Mike Wallace is at $12m/year, so I can't see Hilton being less than that.

Finalized details - only $35 mil. fully guaranteed for Demaryius Thomas, Elway scores a deal, IMO :)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501834/article/broncos-lock-up-demaryius-thomas-5-years-70-million

Contract reporting is so ridiculous sometimes. I think Dez is only $25m fully guaranteed, and another $20m goes guaranteed next season. Obviously still waiting on full details on both.

Good. I wanted Peyton to know he can count on a happy & productive DT all season long. Deadlines can sometimes be a beautiful thing can't they? Oh yeah, back up the Brinks truck baby. Nice.

I'm glad neither got the 16.2 mil that Calvin Johnson got because I thought that tab was out of line.

..and it would have made it much harder to sign TY Hilton (and imagine what Odell Beckham will get when the time comes)

I'm glad neither got the 16.2 mil that Calvin Johnson got because I thought that tab was out of line.

..and it would have made it much harder to sign TY Hilton (and imagine what Odell Beckham will get when the time comes)

Yeah, DT was never gonna get Megatron money & neither was Dez, but you are right about TY's upcoming deal next year, at least a benchmark was laid down in terms of fiscal numbers. 

ODB is going make some serious coin soon. That dude is a serious freak of nature. 

It will be interesting to see how this pans out post-Manning. I think Thomas is a very good receiver but not worth this type of money.

I'm curious about that too AMF. I seriously think this is Manning's last season in the NFL & I'm not entirely sold on Brock. DT did catch a game winning touchdown against the Steelers though in the Playoffs with Tim Tebow so he has been productive prior to Peyton's arrival in Denver. 

I just wanna be clear here. I admire Manning & I'm not pushing him out the door. I just get the sense this is 18's final year. Let's hope it's a good one with a storybook finish. I'm curious to see how Kubiak keeps Peyton healthy down the stretch. Age is a factor now. 

I'm curious about that too AMF. I seriously think this is Manning's last season in the NFL & I'm not entirely sold on Brock. DT did catch a game winning touchdown against the Steelers though in the Playoffs with Tim Tebow so he has been productive prior to Peyton's arrival in Denver. 

I just wanna be clear here. I admire Manning & I'm not pushing him out the door. I just get the sense this is 18's final year. Let's hope it's a good one with a storybook finish. I'm curious to see how Kubiak keeps Peyton healthy down the stretch. Age is a factor now. 

I think Thomas has flourished in Denver under Manning and the offense they run which is a credit to him and also why he was able to command this type of deal. But I don't see the same tools in his game that make him elite like I do with Bryant. I do think he is very good but it will be interesting to see how he progresses even this season as the Denver offense will be different with more run plays so we will see how he adapts. But post-Manning is the key IMO as I am not sure about Brock either but for sure having a receiver like Thomas will help him.

Full details: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/demaryius-thomas/

At signing, $35m is fully guaranteed: His signing bonus of $11m, base salary + roster bonus in 2015 totaling $11m, and base salary in 2016 of $13m. His 2017 base salary of $8.5m goes guaranteed if he's still on the roster in 2017 (not a year early, like Dez Bryant's). Another interesting note: Both DT and Dez have a partially deferred signing bonus, which is normal, but the Broncos added in a roster bonus for DT which basically matches the deferred signing bonus, and that kind of makes it a moot point. Seems like the roster bonus would have been placed in 2016, rather than deferring part of the signing bonus. Weird. Also has a $4m option bonus in 2018, which is an awkward feature.

Cap hits go $13.2m, $15.2m, $10.7m, $12.7m, $18.2m. (Edit: The option bonus is due in 2017, not 2018, still for $4m. Changes the 2017-19 cap hits to $12m, $12m, and $17.5m.) Not quite a traditional structure, but nothing too out of the norm here. Again, could have been done months ago, just like Dez. 

I guess both contracts can be considered the high water mark now, since CJ's deal is such an outlier. 

Edited by Superman

I think Denver's hands were tied...they can't afford to let talent like his walk...that said I think the outside of Denver Thomas would not be nearly as an effective wr as he is with Peyton. He is a physical beast but he is not as refined a receiver as Dez nor do I see him being able to make the same types of plays/catches that Dez and some other receivers do. That is why he drops more balls than he should and when he is limited even slightly like with the foot problem he doesn't produce close to that level. I think he is a great receiver...and a physical beast...but without PM I don't think he is nearly as productive.

word is that both Dez's agent and DT's agent work for the same company (Creative Artists) so while they were accusing the two teams of collusion, they were making sure that both of their guys got the highest deal EITHER would get .

Collusion is legal if you are players but not if you are owners