Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Changes in the NFL would you like to make?

FanFromtheWasteland

I think they should do away with the IR all together. Just let the team deal with the player limit no matter. The players get paid while on IR so really what difference does it make? Maybe I am overlooking something? I do agree with both teams getting the ball in OT. Both teams played even through the regular game so both teams deserves the chance to tie in OT. With the rules swaying to the offense I think it would make for a better game.

Reserve lists, including injured reserve, are designed to keep a player on the team while not using a spot on the active roster if he can't play. If you expand the rosters, that becomes a little less critical, but sometimes a team will have 15 players on IR, while another team only has 5. Even with a 60 man roster, without IR, one team has 45 players who can go, the other team has 55. Reserve lists help teams field a somewhat even number of players.

Totally agree on OT. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reserve lists, including injured reserve, are designed to keep a player on the team while not using a spot on the active roster if he can't play. If you expand the rosters, that becomes a little less critical, but sometimes a team will have 15 players on IR, while another team only has 5. Even with a 60 man roster, without IR, one team has 45 players who can go, the other team has 55. Reserve lists help teams field a somewhat even number of players.

Totally agree on OT. 

Thanks for bringing that up to my attention. I knew I was overlooking something. At least they had a change in the shorter term of the IR last season.

I would not allow anyone with a felony conviction to play in the NFL:

I cant agree with that comment. People who have committed a crime normally has paid their price. I have never been charged with a felony but If I would have been don't you think people deserve a second chance? I would hate to think we cant learn from mistakes. I do my best not to judge a person on something they done in there younger days.

Would the nfl need to increase the number of challenges alowed?

i doubt it, they often go unused or wasted anyway.

nobody wants the game slowed down by excessive challenges, but a PI call, or lack thereof can easily be the difference in winning or losing.  (the colts eagles game last season for example)

it would also help them be more consistant when calling PI

Its not like there are many to begin with. But this will never happen anyway, especially if they are already in the league when they get the felony

[/quote

I would limit it to those who committed the crimes while they were in the NFL.

There are not many...but I would negotiate it into the basic agreement so no one is ambushed.

I think it would be hard for the NFLPA to argue publically that felons should get a second chance.

My change would eliminate all of our moral wrestling over how any games a wide beater should get.

If you can beat the rap or plead down the crime successfully in court, you get to stay and play.

I cant agree with that comment. People who have committed a crime normally has paid their price. I have never been charged with a felony but If I would have been don't you think people deserve a second chance? I would hate to think we cant learn from mistakes. I do my best not to judge a person on something they done in there younger days.

I don't think NFL players deserve a second chance if they are convicted of a felony.

Just keep all your crimes to misdemeanors ...I don't think that's a lot to ask

Its not like there are many to begin with. But this will never happen anyway, especially if they are already in the league when they get the felony

[/quote

I would limit it to those who committed the crimes while they were in the NFL.

There are not many...but I would negotiate it into the basic agreement so no one is ambushed.

I think it would be hard for the NFLPA to argue publically that felons should get a second chance.

My change would eliminate all of our moral wrestling over how any games a wide beater should get.

If you can beat the rap or plead down the crime successfully in court, you get to stay and play.

Yeah the union would never allow it

Are we talking their throw back uniforms or their current silver ones? I kind of like the red paints & white helmets. As far as old uniforms go, Pittsburgh's are the worst. They remind me 1920's prison uniforms. 

"The Bees Knees" look has got to go like yesterday dadeo.  haha

Steelers-Throwbacks-2012.jpg

acb20792e8439a1d28a1f2cdbd7fdf1c.jpg

Their current uniforms..... just ugly.....tacky even.

I don't think NFL players deserve a second chance if they are convicted of a felony.Just keep all your crimes to misdemeanors ...I don't think that's a lot to ask

Except for the defensive front 7. I want those guys to be felons.

Yeah the union would never allow it

You're probably right but the NFLPA did accept non-guaranteed contracts and Roger Goddell as judge and jury on personal conduct.

Unions cut deals. I'd bargain for it. It would limit our revolving domestic violence reality plays

yeah, good luck with that

LOL! I know right. I love how some fans think that just because they got busted with their hand in the cookie jar that Goodell conspired to tarnish the Patriots vs say I don't know the QB who knows absolutely nothing. Sigh...It reminds me of a comedy routine I saw once on SNL where actor Tim Meadows drawing up a formation on the sidelines actually spelled out "I did it" as he was being interviewed about his guilt or innocence during the OJ Simpson double murder trial.

No, I am not claiming that Brady is a murderer just simply a person who nobody believes knew nothing about PSI levels in game footballs. Nobody believes you Tommy.  

Their current uniforms..... just ugly.....tacky even.

Alright, thanks for the clarification BOTT. I appreciate it. 

I don't think NFL players deserve a second chance if they are convicted of a felony.

In your first comment you was not specific in when a player received a felony. You cant punish anyone who has already been punished. If a current player gets a felony that is different. That would still be hard as to as it varies from state to state on the charges. A prosecutor and then plea bargains come into play. It's like jvan said, it would have to become included into the bargaining agreement before that could be addressed or enforced. IMO I don't see that happening. That is why the term actions detrimental to the league was bargained for as it stands now.

If we can agree that a number of players are out of the league in 4 years from the NFL rookie symposium onward, most major felonies with time behind the slammer are going to make ex cons toxic as players in American football anyway by most owners & GMs IMO. 

CC1 also brought up a great point when he said that DA's prosecute charges differently from state to state on certain crimes like firing a loaded gun in a NY night club vs say the same situation in Denver. Just ask former Giants WR Plaxico Burress. 

Front offices are pretty leery of signing athletes with checkered pasts in recent years except maybe Marvin Lewis HC of the Cincinnati Bengals & his boss owner Mike Brown. 

If we can agree that a number of players are out of the league in 4 years from the NFL rookie symposium onward, most major felonies with time behind the slammer are going to make ex cons toxic as players in American football anyway by most owners & GMs IMO. 

CC1 also brought up a great point when he said that DA's prosecute charges differently from state to state on certain crimes like firing a loaded gun in a NY night club vs say the same situation in Denver. Just ask former Giants WR Plaxico Burress. 

Front offices are pretty leery of signing athletes with checkered pasts in recent years except maybe Marvin Lewis HC of the Cincinnati Bengals & his boss owner Mike Brown.

Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown. Ouch, Ouch, and Triple Ouch! Mike Brown is/was/never will be interested in winning a VL. Now, if it's about the bottom line of green-backs, he'll listen to anyone who can further that agenda. The hardware is no concern of his. Sad. Very sad for Bengal fans. I believe his daughter is the same way if I'm not mistaken.

Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown. Ouch, Ouch, and Triple Ouch! Mike Brown is/was/never will be interested in winning a VL. Now, if it's about the bottom line of green-backs, he'll listen to anyone who can further that agenda. The hardware is no concern of his. Sad. Very sad for Bengal fans. I believe his daughter is the same way if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, I'm completely with you on Mike Brown being notoriously cheap or viewing Playoff appearances low on the totem pole CS. The strange thing is that Marvin Lewis always has a good offensive line, defensive line, & solid RB production, but he always comes up short when games really matter in November. I almost wish Lewis was our DC because he's not stupid & he always gets decent pressure when necessary. 

I still can't figure out how Marvin still has a job in Cincinnati. Teflon Don is bullet proof baby & never has to worry about getting let go for some reason. 

Yeah, I'm completely with you on Mike Brown being notoriously cheap or viewing Playoff appearances low on the totem pole CS. The strange thing is that Marvin Lewis always has a good offensive line, defensive line, & solid RB production, but he always comes up short when games really matter in November. I almost wish Lewis was our DC because he's not stupid & he always gets decent pressure when necessary.

I still can't figure out how Marvin still has a job in Cincinnati. Teflon Don is bullet proof baby & never has to worry about getting let go for some reason.

Right on the money, SW1. Mike Brown's philosophy has always been what I call the "8-8 syndrome". Pack the stadium and do not pay the players. Unfortunately, I believe there are too many owners who subscribe to that very same thinking even with the shared revenue changes years back. Witnessed it too many times. I agree with you about Lewis. He's a good coach who wears handcuffs. Some say he is too relaxed and excessively forgiving. I don't know how true that is. I think if he were coaching in a different franchise, that would drastically change by having those cuffs removed.

In your first comment you was not specific in when a player received a felony. You cant punish anyone who has already been punished. If a current player gets a felony that is different. That would still be hard as to as it varies from state to state on the charges. A prosecutor and then plea bargains come into play. It's like jvan said, it would have to become included into the bargaining agreement before that could be addressed or enforced. IMO I don't see that happening. That is why the term actions detrimental to the league was bargained for as it stands now.

But the question was: What you I LIKE to see. Again. The union gave Goddell total control (judge and jury) on personal conduct.

You cant ban a player for something he did before he was in 'the company'

..and like I said, if he can plead the charge down...he can come back

But you can most certainly negotiate for it.

No team should be forced to pay the contract of a felon. Guys who have disgraced your franchise.

A rule that felons are out would be very difficult for the NFLPA to publically argue against.

But you need to draw that line. A felony conviction ends your career.

Its not vague. If its judged a felony in the state you committed the crime, you're done.

No further appeal. No suing the NFL. You had your day in court and plenty of money for the best lawyers.

It no checkered past...its what you do when you are under contract.

There has to be some hint of a desire among players and their union that they WANT to limit crimes by players, not

just try to get them reinstated.

But the question was: What you I LIKE to see. Again. The union gave Goddell total control (judge and jury) on personal conduct.

You cant ban a player for something he did before he was in 'the company'

..and like I said, if he can plead the charge down...he can come back

But you can most certainly negotiate for it.

No team should be forced to pay the contract of a felon. Guys who have disgraced your franchise.

A rule that felons are out would be very difficult for the NFLPA to publically argue against.

Like I said, you wasn't specific on when a felony was done. It is no big deal and I don't see why you feel the need to make it an issue?

The pass interference rule should change from placing the ball at the spot of the foul so the offense cannot get the ball on the one yard  line.

PATs must change as they are way too nearly a guarantee.

An additional official on the line of scrimmage area to call holding as holding happens nearly every play.

Last, night games should start earlier so I don't wake up twenty minutes after the end of the game. Doh!

The pass interference rule should change from placing the ball at the spot of the foul so the offense cannot get the ball on the one yard line.

PATs must change as they are way too nearly a guarantee.

An additional official on the line of scrimmage area to call holding as holding happens nearly every play.

Last, night games should start earlier so I don't wake up twenty minutes after the end of the game. Doh!

I really agree with the earlier stat times. I have to get up at 2 am for work so those night games are killers for me

Did not read the entire thread so sorry if this was touched upon but....

a YELLOW flag for defensive penalties

a BLUE or BLACK flag for offensive penalties

makes it a lot easier to watch and not have to kill us with all these stops and wondering what the penalty is for.

Like I said, you wasn't specific on when a felony was done. It is no big deal and I don't see why you feel the need to make it an issue?

Players committing felonies isn't a big deal?  Or were you referring to something else being a big deal?  For once, I actually agree with OUM.  If you're in the NFL and commit a felony...you're out...done....no coming back.  Hell I say also include a mandatory 1 year suspension with no chance of appeal if a misdemeanor is committed. 

As others have said, no way it ever happens but imo it should.  It's a privilege to play in the NFL.  I'm not saying every NFL player has to be a choir boy...but is it really that difficult to not break the law?

Players committing felonies isn't a big deal?  Or were you referring to something else being a big deal?  For once, I actually agree with OUM.  If you're in the NFL and commit a felony...you're out...done....no coming back.  Hell I say also include a mandatory 1 year suspension with no chance of appeal if a misdemeanor is committed. 

As others have said, no way it ever happens but imo it should.  It's a privilege to play in the NFL.  I'm not saying every NFL player has to be a choir boy...but is it really that difficult to not break the law?

The issue here though is the NFL product would suffer greatly. I know you know the statistics of the backgrounds of the majority of NFL players so really this type of hard line will do nothing but hurt the NFL on the field. What the league needs to do if it really wants to stop the offenses is look at rehabilitation. We know that punishing is not a deterrent nor it is it stopping the issue so the NFL needs to look at getting to its players as soon as they are drafted and enrolling them in a mentorship program like Dungy did for Michael Vick so you can get to these players one-on-one with the specific issues they are dealing with and help to reform them before trouble hits. These players ARE the product and after seeing a league MVP in AP miss a season and a Super Bowl champ in Ray Rice, they really need to get on this asap.

Read the whole conversation. My comment was in reference as to when a felony happened, not when a player was in the NFL. His comment was if a player had a felony he shouldn't be allowed to play in the NFL. He was not specific when a felony was committed. I agree that if a player gets a felony WHILE playing in the NFL he should suspended. You normally don't put your own meanings into things without understanding the whole picture, why start now?

Read the whole conversation. My comment was in reference as to when a felony happened, not when a player was in the NFL. His comment was if a player had a felony he shouldn't be allowed to play in the NFL. He was not specific when a felony was committed. I agree that if a player gets a felony WHILE playing in the NFL he should suspended. You normally don't put your own meanings into things without understanding the whole picture, why start now?

I did read the whole conversation.  I didn't see OUM making a big deal out of anything which is why I incorrectly interpreted your comment that "it isn't a big deal...". 

However, personally I don't have a problem with not allowing guys to play in the NFL with any kind of felony on their record...or at least judging it on a case by case basis.  There are a lot of jobs that you would be ineligible for with a felony on your record.

The issue here though is the NFL product would suffer greatly. I know you know the statistics of the backgrounds of the majority of NFL players so really this type of hard line will do nothing but hurt the NFL on the field.

Problem 1: Your comment indicates that profit is more important than player integrity.  I do not agree with that.  I know anyone with any clout in the NFL is going to agree, but I don't care.  This is about what we'd like to see, not what we think we ever will see.

Problem 2: I still disagree.  I don't think current deterrents work because they're not properly enforced and are not strict enough.  You tell players that they will receive a lifetime ban from playing in the NFL if they are ever convicted of any felony and I do think you'll see player-related crime drop.  Maybe not at first, but after the first player or 2 receive bans then the rest of the league would know the NFL means business.  Rehabilitation is great, but it's only going to work with guys who actually want to be rehabilitated.  The majority will simply follow the rules set forth for them to be able to be considered fully rehabilitated and then, once out of the program, will go back to their normal behavior.