Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Favorite 2016 prospects? Possible targets for the Colts?

Just a general 2016 draft discussion thread.  I'm creating it more to learn than anything.  I'm just starting to get a grasp of this class and I'm curios to hear more knowledgeable opinions than my own.  Let's not get into the whole "it's too early" discussion -- If you don't want to talk about this topic then don't.

A few of my personal favorite prospects:

-Scooby Wright, LB, Arizona

-Myles Jack, LB, UCLA

-Jalen Ramsey, S, Florida State

All 3 just seem like special players (which unfortunately means that they won't likely be available for the Colts).  I know college production doesn't mean everything, but Wright's stats last season were just off the charts.  Jack is just another example of the crazy amount of talent at LB in this class.  Ramsey would be my dream pick.. his talent and versatility to play all over the secondary would be so helpful to our D.

James Connor, RB, Pit

Tyler Boyd, WR, Pit

Myles Jack, ILB, UCLA

Lamery Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss (probably dreaming)

Vernon Havegraves, CB, Florida (probably dreaming)

Ronnie Staley, OT, Notre Dame (probably dreaming again)

Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech 

Shaq Calhoun, OLB, Mich. St

Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama

Zeke' Elliott, RB, OSU

Tonney Conner, S, Ole Miss

Shawn Oakman, OLB, Baylor

Jack Allen, C, Michigan St.

Just to name a few of my early favorites for our first round pick, at 32 that is.  :thmup:

James Connor, RB, Pit

Zeke' Elliott, RB, OSU

I think Elliot and Henry could be similar (in draft position) to Gurley and Gordon this last draft.  I think they'll be gone by our pick,  Connor is an interesting one though.. From what I understand, he's a big, bruising back with little to no receiving ability.  I'm looking for more of a dynamic back personally, though Grigson doesn't seem to agree with me considering the types of backs he has gone after this offseason..

A lot of things will change from now to then. I just hope we get a big time impact player on defense. We don't even really know what our needs will be on D though. If the right young players break out a weakness could turn into a strength. It looks like our offense is pretty much set for a while so I want to see a big time defensive draft.

James Connor, RB, Pit

Tyler Boyd, WR, Pit

Myles Jack, ILB, UCLA

Lamery Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss (probably dreaming)

Vernon Havegraves, CB, Florida (probably dreaming)

Ronnie Staley, OT, Notre Dame (probably dreaming again)

Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech 

Shaq Calhoun, OLB, Mich. St

Zeke' Elliott, RB, OSU

Tonney Conner, S, Ole Miss

Shawn Oakman, OLB, Baylor

Jack Allen, C, Michigan St.

Just to name a few of my early favorites for our first round pick, at 32 that is.  :thmup:

I love Oakmand too....   but I'd say he's much more a DE than he is an OLB.

He's 6'8" and 290.....    that's a DE in any language....

Otherwise,   lots of good names in your list!     Thanks!     :thmup:

S'ua Craven

DeForest Buckner

Jalen Ramsay

Jack Allen

Isaac Seumalo

A'Shawn Robinson

Scooby Wright

Guys that I like, fit what we do, and I believe will be available towards the end if the first and beyond.

Joey Bosa from Ohio State is an absolute monster. 13.5 sacks, 21 TFL, 4 FF as a sophomore. I would be shocked if he didn't go 1st overall next year. Obviously no way the colts get him, but it would be awesome if they did. He's JJ Watt-like. 

The top of my wish list is Emmanuel Ogbah from Oklahoma St 6'4 270 size speed would be a monster at OLB. I have a feeling after this year we won't have a shot but you never know.

Jaylon Smith ILB Notre Dame

Jack Conklin OT Mich St

Tony Connor S/CB Ole Miss really like this kid too

Jalen Ramsey S/CB. I think he's at CB this year

A'Shawn Robinson DL Bama.

As usual I'll be watching all the Irish and Ducks games. Notre Dame has some talent that will be coming out next year.

Thanks for doing some legwork here fellas.  Like Donny from the Big Lebowski, I'm out of my league here.  I don't really watch college football but cram for the draft from combine on and I get into it more each year.  Threads like this pique my interest and make me a better and more knowledgeable fan.  Kudos to you all  :thanks:

Here is a spreadsheet I'm putting together so I can become familiar with the prospects, feel free to follow it as I build it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vQM-XvaAkG7miFNBRFzDKzMqlBbJkyFA4OrG96Rn4-E/edit?usp=sharing

First sheet is every position very loosely ranked.  The position specific sheets have the player, school, and eventually I'll be adding comments.

Here is a spreadsheet I'm putting together so I can become familiar with the prospects, feel free to follow it as I build it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vQM-XvaAkG7miFNBRFzDKzMqlBbJkyFA4OrG96Rn4-E/edit?usp=sharing

First sheet is every position very loosely ranked. The position specific sheets have the player, school, and eventually I'll be adding comments.

Good list this early.

Jared Goff, not Jonathon. Just a heads up.

Since the Colts seem to like Stanford kids,  I'll throw out one name that might be taken in the first three rounds.

That's our LT,  Kyle Murphy.     He's about 6-6 and 300.   Light on his feet and athletic.

He was our 6th lineman in his freshman and sophomore years.   Started at Right Tackle last year and did well,  but not great.  

This year,  he's being moved to Left Tackle,  where he played in high school and was a 5-star recruit.   He's looked very good in the spring.    But, clearly the proof will be in the fall when the games count.

Stanford has a bunch of other players that might go anywhere from the 4th-6th rounds,  but that's not for this thread.   That's about 8 months away.......

Since the Colts seem to like Stanford kids,  I'll throw out one name that might be taken in the first three rounds.

That's our LT,  Kyle Murphy.     He's about 6-6 and 300.   Light on his feet and athletic.

He was our 6th lineman in his freshman and sophomore years.   Started at Right Tackle last year and did well,  but not great.  

This year,  he's being moved to Left Tackle,  where he played in high school and was a 5-star recruit.   He's looked very good in the spring.    But, clearly the proof will be in the fall when the games count.

Stanford has a bunch of other players that might go anywhere from the 4th-6th rounds,  but that's not for this thread.   That's about 8 months away.......

Added Murphy to my watch list.  

Any other Stanford guys you're particularly high on?  I saw that Wayne Lyons transferred to Michigan, definitely could be a draftable player.

Added Murphy to my watch list.  

Any other Stanford guys you're particularly high on?  I saw that Wayne Lyons transferred to Michigan, definitely could be a draftable player.

I have four other Stanford players with solid draftable grades right now....    and a few others on the bubble.

Realistically,  they're probably 4th or 5th round guys.

Some may have a slightly higher ceiling, perhaps 3rd round,  but I wouldn't think it's likely....

You're looking for bigger names,  bigger prospects....   my other guys are likely for January when we all get serious about names to follow....

One last thought.....   Lyons still has a reasonable reputation,  but unless he steps up his game,  he won't for long.   He had lost his starting job late last year and it was not likely he would've started this year,  his 5th year in school.    That's why he transferred.   He's got a better shot at playing time in Michigan.

Not to say he's not talented or won't turn out to be a decent player, and maybe even make it in the NFL.    But he had a very rough 4th year at Stanford last year.    No one was really happy with his performance.....    Sorry,  not trying to sound bitter that the young man left....   everyone wishes him well....   but it was an odd ending to his Stanford career.   At least he got his degree.

You're looking for bigger names,  bigger prospects....   my other guys are likely for January when we all get serious about names to follow....

I'm looking for any prospect that is considered a draftable player at this point.  That way I know who to keep my eye on during the CFB season.

Thanks for the info on Lyons

Since the Colts seem to like Stanford kids, I'll throw out one name that might be taken in the first three rounds.

That's our LT, Kyle Murphy. He's about 6-6 and 300. Light on his feet and athletic.

He was our 6th lineman in his freshman and sophomore years. Started at Right Tackle last year and did well, but not great.

This year, he's being moved to Left Tackle, where he played in high school and was a 5-star recruit. He's looked very good in the spring. But, clearly the proof will be in the fall when the games count.

Stanford has a bunch of other players that might go anywhere from the 4th-6th rounds, but that's not for this thread. That's about 8 months away.......

Never lived up to his hype. Too bad, I like the kid. Oregon and Stanford battled hard for him and I'll never blame a kid for choosing Stanford.

I'm looking for any prospect that is considered a draftable player at this point. That way I know who to keep my eye on during the CFB season.

Thanks for the info on Lyons

Guys who will be drafted from Oregon:

Tyler Johnstone - LT that tore his acl before the season last year. Pre-season AA and multi-year starter. Consistent and has shown flashes of dominance, most notably against Anthony Barr in the second half two years ago.

Bralon Addison - WR that also tore his acl. Smaller and doesn't have elite speed but very shifty and catches everything. Right around 1k yards as a true sophomore with a few return TDs.

Alex Balducci - plays nose in the 34 at Oregon but I see him as a 30th in a 43 on Sundays. Nothing flashy but solid.

Christian French - has a chance to blow up this year. OLB that's 6'5, 250 and has great speed. Came to Oregon as a TV but had stone hands and moved to D. Was a little soft his first year and a half on D but has started to turn the corner. Tons of untapped potential and will turn heads at the combine. Shown well as a pass rusher in a reserve role and will start for the first time this year.

Those are all SRs with the exception of Addison that I see having 5th or better potential.

Never lived up to his hype. Too bad, I like the kid. Oregon and Stanford battled hard for him and I'll never blame a kid for choosing Stanford.

Murphy's not living up to the hype I think had more to do with two things.

1.   Stanford didn't red-shirt him, as far as we know, as much his choice as it was ours.

2.   The logjam of talent in front of him.   Murphy was an extra lineman getting lots of snaps in our jumbo sets for two years,  and then last year,  couldn't play left tackle -- there was a guy named Peat in front of him.

So,  Murphy gets the marquee spot this year....   hopefully he does well and it's reflected where he's drafted a year from now.

Murphy's not living up to the hype I think had more to do with two things.

1. Stanford didn't red-shirt him, as far as we know, as much his choice as it was ours.

2. The logjam of talent in front of him. Murphy was an extra lineman getting lots of snaps in our jumbo sets for two years, and then last year, couldn't play left tackle -- there was a guy named Peat in front of him.

So, Murphy gets the marquee spot this year.... hopefully he does well and it's reflected where he's drafted a year from now.

More than any of that, I think he would have fit a zone scheme more than he does Stanford's power man scheme. I'm not saying he's been bad, but both of us expected more. You bring up Peat, but they were more or less looked at as equals out of HS.

• 1 month later...

Names I'm going to be really interested in following:

Offense (I think by far our biggest need is O-line talent, but backup QB, future RB, and WR depth if Hilton isn't re-signed are also concerns to keep in the back of our minds)

Gunner Keil, QB, Cinncinatti

Travis Wilson, QB, Utah

Kevin Hogan, QB, Stanford

J.W. Walsh, QB Oklahoma St.

Jack Conklin, OL, Michigan St.

Tyler Marz, OL, Wisconsin

Vadal Alexander, OL, LSU

Nick Martin, OL, Notre Dame

Max Tuerek, OL, USC 

D.J. Foster, RB, Arizona St.

Storm Woods, RB, Oregon St. 

Byron Marshall, RB/WR, Oregon

Demarcus Robinson, WR, Florida

Nelson Spruce, WR, Colorado

Jordan Payton, WR, UCLA

Defense (I believe ILB is a big need for the future. Pass rusher has to at this point be considered one as well, although we have guys on the roster that could emerge. The secondary and nose tackle positions are something to monitor too)

Dadi Nicloas, Edge, Virginia Tech

Jordan Jenkins, Edge, Georgia

Curt Maggitt, Edge, Tennessee

Maurice Canady, DB, Virginia

Tony Connor, DB, Ole Miss

Denzel Nkemdich, DB/LB, Ole Miss

Kris Frost, LB, Auburn

Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame

Eddie Vanderdoes, NT, UCLA

Melvin Lewis, NT, Kentucky

Vincent Valentine, NT, Nebraska

I don't have any names for the list, but I do like this thread... I don't care that it's early.

Next season is going to be big in terms of adding youth and cheap talent after we pay the 2012 class. I don't think it will necessarily hamstring us in terms of the cap, but that could change a lot depending on the types of seasons some of those guys put together... especially if we win the SB next season.

The 2 guys I'm really keen on watching as they'd fit with the Colts are Wisconsin LT Tyler Marz and Auburn LB Kris Frost. Marz will play at either guard position or right tackle at the NFL level, Frost will be a ILB in a 3-4 or an OLB in a 4-3.