Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After further review on the picks...

I am beginning to think Henry Anderson was on TOP of Colts DL board, And maybe so was Geathers.  

After watching Lots and Lots of Youtube game film on both of these guys, and then looking at stats for both this might just be the case.

Geathers plays with a style we NEED, he is a little out of control at times, but some coaching can fix that, and that is what Pagano does best.  They may figure he'll be better than all the other Safeties in the long run for us.

Henry though is a more Immediate impact.  His stats last season was BETTER than Brown's.  Plus he played a scheme the same as the one Colts play.  He also played each position on the D-line every game switching around constantly with his fellow d-linemen to create confusion.  He has a bigger motor than any of the D-linemen that was ranked higher than him.

So if these two were on top of the board, then getting Dorsett as the first pick would be absolute genius if the two previously mentioned pans out.  

The only real question is the O-line, since injury and continuity due to that hampered progression last year.  I hope this is not the case next year and the O-line can sync with each other and be able to play more as a single unit.

Anderson has the most potential because alot of what he did in college was on effort.

At the next level he'll learn technique and how to win with speed and power, and not sacrifice one or the other.

But Geathers... We've seen Pagano's DB magic. With some seasoning that guy will be an enforcer for years to come.

Henry though is a more Immediate impact.  His stats last season was BETTER than Brown's.  Plus he played a scheme the same as the one Colts play.  He also played each position on the D-line every game switching around constantly with his fellow d-linemen to create confusion.  He has a bigger motor than any of the D-linemen that was ranked higher than him.

There you go, taken away a fans reason to hate. Be easy on em....they need that venting option....

I am not worried about the o-line nearly as much as other people.  Yes Luck has been harassed over the years.  But there is 2 reasons for that.

#1 : Injuries.  These kept the o-line out of sync, and allowed defenses to penetrate easier because players were not used to the guy next to them, or was not used to playing the position they were in because they were subbing there.

#2 : And this may be more poignant.  Our run game was not very good.  Every team that went up against the Colts knew this.  No-one was afraid of us running it down their throats.  They knew we were going to throw it.  Thus they planned for this.  Hard to protect a guy when there is not surprise to what is coming.  A solid running game will protect Andrew Luck more than any single o-line pick.  Having the stable of runners we now have is a good thing.  We do not have a rb anymore that teams are going to look at and go: "well, he is good for 2-3 yards...maybe."  (not going to name names...lol)

Granted I hope like everyone else that Grigson and Pagano's gamble on Gos is not going to turn out like another Bob sanders, or worse...the name I did not mention.....

If that's the case it's more forgivable but still not a brilliant move. There are other needs that could have been filled by either picking there or trading down and picking. LB, RB, OL

I don't think it's more forgivable cause like you said we could have got Anderson and Geathers while also adding a LB in Kendricks or OL

If we need that many rookies to come in here and supplant veterans and start, we aren't Super Bowl material even with their help.  And rookies make huge mistakes, usually in crunch time because of inexperience.    I think our draft and FA acquisitions this year is fine, and addressed most ever area.  We just need the players we have already drafted last couple years and the new inductees to step up best they can and at  least maintain level of play when a vet needs a rest or gets knicked up.

If we need that many rookies to come in here and supplant veterans and start, we aren't Super Bowl material even with their help.  And rookies make huge mistakes, usually in crunch time because of inexperience.    I think our draft and FA acquisitions this year is fine, and addressed most ever area.  We just need the players we have already drafted last couple years and the new inductees to step up best they can and at  least maintain level of play when a vet needs a rest or gets knicked up.

Agree on younger and Vets stepping up.  Less IR's would be nice too.  But I think Alot of these guys we got are going to contribute next year through rotation.  Especially the D-line and the RB.  I just think long term...this was a great draft.

Agree on younger and Vets stepping up.  Less IR's would be nice too.  But I think Alot of these guys we got are going to contribute next year through rotation.  Especially the D-line and the RB.  I just think long term...this was a great draft.

wacky tabacky

You know what's funny.....the pundits had picks, the analysts had picks, the reporters had picks, the bloggers had pics, the folks on all these boards had picks, the bookies had picks......and how many were correct? As far as I can tell zero. And people are still arguing about it.   hahahahahhahhaa

With-ZERO-capital-how-can-a-newbie-get-izero_hour_cloc_450.jpgzero-default-image.jpgzero.png

• 2 weeks later...

I am beginning to think Henry Anderson was on TOP of Colts DL board, And maybe so was Geathers.  

After watching Lots and Lots of Youtube game film on both of these guys, and then looking at stats for both this might just be the case.

Geathers plays with a style we NEED, he is a little out of control at times, but some coaching can fix that, and that is what Pagano does best.  They may figure he'll be better than all the other Safeties in the long run for us.

So if these two were on top of the board, then getting Dorsett as the first pick would be absolute genius if the two previously mentioned pans out.  

The only real question is the O-line, since injury and continuity due to that hampered progression last year.  I hope this is not the case next year and the O-line can sync with each other and be able to play more as a single unit.

YES!

If that's the case it's more forgivable but still not a brilliant move.  There are other needs that could have been filled by either picking there or trading down and picking.  LB, RB, OL

It is way too early to say if the draft was not a brilliant move. The Dorsett pick may very well pan out to be a huge pick in the future. The Colts were really not that strong in the receiving department as much as some think. We went into last season thinking the we were strong in that department and it didn't turn out that way. Carter is an unknown. Wayne is gone. Johnson may play one or two more years, who knows? Whalen cant seem to find a starting spot. There is absolutely nothing wrong with drafting for the future being it does take two years for a player to adjust to the NFL.  

It is way too early to say if the draft was not a brilliant move. The Dorsett pick may very well pan out to be a huge pick in the future. The Colts were really not that strong in the receiving department as much as some think. We went into last season thinking the we were strong in that department and it didn't turn out that way. Carter is an unknown. Wayne is gone. Johnson may play one or two more years, who knows? Whalen cant seem to find a starting spot. There is absolutely nothing wrong with drafting for the future being it does take two years for a player to adjust to the NFL.  

Luck went from 23 TD passes a year to 40.  That's a pretty big increase and I don't think it only as due to Luck improving.  I would say his receiving corps was the best he'd ever had up til that point.

You know what's funny.....the pundits had picks, the analysts had picks, the reporters had picks, the bloggers had pics, the folks on all these boards had picks, the bookies had picks......and how many were correct? As far as I can tell zero. And people are still arguing about it. hahahahahhahhaa

With-ZERO-capital-how-can-a-newbie-get-izero_hour_cloc_450.jpgzero-default-image.jpgzero.png

You can't count very well. Myself, and many others had Anderson in the third, but were nervous that he wouldm't be on the board. Myself, and also many others, had Robinson in the fifth.

Especially Anderson was a favorite pre-draft.

But go ahead and spout off inaccuracies if it makes you feel better.

Luck went from 23 TD passes a year to 40.  That's a pretty big increase and I don't think it only as due to Luck improving.  I would say his receiving corps was the best he'd ever had up til that point.

And how many passing TDs did he have in the last 3 games when Reggie wasn't playing or 100%? The tight ends lead the team in TDs, not the receivers. So the receivers were really not that good as a group. We don't know if the Colts are going to be able to sign Fleener and Allen next season.

Wide receivers caught 14 TD passes in 2014. Exact same number of TD catches in 2013 by wide receivers. The increase in total TD catches was primarily due to Fleener and Allen going from 5 combined to 16 combined, and Bradshaw catching 6 TDs (all backs combined for 4 TD catches in 2013). 

Total weapons in the passing game were probably as good as Luck has had, at least before Reggie's performance totally fell off (Week 7) and Bradshaw got hurt (Week 11). But the WR corps wasn't really that good, aside from Hilton being way better in the first half of the season.

Wide receivers caught 14 TD passes in 2014. Exact same number of TD catches in 2013 by wide receivers. The increase in total TD catches was primarily due to Fleener and Allen going from 5 combined to 16 combined, and Bradshaw catching 6 TDs (all backs combined for 4 TD catches in 2013). 

Total weapons in the passing game were probably as good as Luck has had, at least before Reggie's performance totally fell off (Week 7) and Bradshaw got hurt (Week 11). But the WR corps wasn't really that good, aside from Hilton being way better in the first half of the season.

The WR's where getting the yardage which allowed dump off passes to Fleener, Allen, and Bradshaw for TD's.  

You can't count very well. Myself, and many others had Anderson in the third, but were nervous that he wouldm't be on the board. Myself, and also many others, had Robinson in the fifth.

Especially Anderson was a favorite pre-draft.

But go ahead and spout off inaccuracies if it makes you feel better.

Yep....a bunch of us had Henry coming onboard.

And as for pundits, Charles Davis on Path to the Draft even pinpointed Dorsett as an option shortly after we learned that Reggie wasn't in our plans any longer, suggesting the coverage nightmare he and Hilton would pose.

I raised an eyebrow at the concept, given our issues on defense...but it turns out Grigson chose that very option.

Hopefully the Phillip pick pays off along with Anderson and Geathers, another prospect several posters chose.