Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting note on the short shuttle time and NFL sacks

The short shuttle run measures change of direction speed, burst, and hip flexibility. DeMarcus Ware had a jaw-dropping 4.07 second short shuttle, and Jevon Kearse ran the short shuttle twice with an average time of 4.12 seconds. No elite edge rusher has emerged from any round of the NFL Draft since at least 1999 with a short shuttle slower than 4.42 seconds.

I know I don't have the link. I was looking at so much stuff. I will try to go back and find it.

The fastest times for OLB at short shuttle this year was Beasley 4.15 and Alani Fua.

Heeny had the fastest time for LB's followed closely by Anthony but they play on the inside. Here is a link for the fastest short shuttle times for LB's.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2015&workout=TWENTY_YARD_SHUTTLE&position=LB

Short shuttle times for DL top 2 were Frank Clark 4.05 and Henry Anderson/Odighizuwa 4.19  tied for second..

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2015&workout=TWENTY_YARD_SHUTTLE&position=DL

Yeah, I've always preaches that shuttle and cone times are way more important than 40 time. Running fast in a straight line is cool. Maintaining speed while changing directions is cooler. 

Makes Alani Fua BYU an interesting choice with one of those late draft picks if he his hanging around at the end of the 6th get into camp, may need a yr on the PS. He will need to add strength.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/alani-fua?id=2552683

I'd like to know what Terrell Suggs time was

As you wish: Suggs’ poor 40 time was widely reported (as well as his attendant drop in "draft stock") and it was a mere footnote that Suggs had, on the same day, logged a respectable 4.33-second short shuttle time.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/2/28/2830352/2012-nfl-combine-outside-linebacker-prospects-under-the-microscope

To be fair though, Werner had more sacks then pretty much everyone who was drafted in that same class at linebacker so I guess there's still a little bit of relevance to those figures I suppose.

I don't think the stat means anyone under 4.42 is going to be a sack master it just points out no one who was slower has been since 99.

I thought it was interesting good tool for looking at players. I find myself more interested in the kid from BYU in the 6th now actually really interested considering the scouting report on his coverage ability

I'm pretty sure Newsome wasn't under a 4.42 maybe he'll be the exception

I don't think the stat means anyone under 4.42 is going to be a sack master it just points out no one who was slower has been since 99.

I thought it was interesting good tool for looking at players. I find myself more interested in the kid from BYU in the 6th now actually really interested considering the scouting report on his coverage ability

I'm just looking at the trend some.  I don't put much stock into it as a whole because there's no way you can promise a person will be great just on numbers alone.  Like you said it serves as a little bit of a guage.

Newsome was 4.63

To be fair though, Werner had more sacks then pretty much everyone who was drafted in that same class at linebacker so I guess there's still a little bit of relevance to those figures I suppose.

oh I agree.....im a Werner supporter....not sure if he ll ever be all world at the position but hes looking like he can be a solid long term contributor on D

oh I agree.....im a Werner supporter....not sure if he ll ever be all world at the position but hes looking like he can be a solid long term contributor on D

He looked much improved in the preseason and the first half of the year. He wasn't getting the sack but was creating pressure. I thought he showed flasshes. I'm hoping he makes a jump this year.

He is kinda reminding me of our old MLB Morris. Hard worker, is a tireless worker and does what the team needs. May never reach those team/fan expectations as a late first round pick but it was the position we needed when we picked on both guys. Didn't/haven't produced what we had hoped though. Morris got moved to a new position later in his career and was very solid there. Perhaps we can get similar results from Werner too with a move to SSLB instead of expecting him to be our rush backer??