Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defjamz Mock Draft 2.5

Got some good criticism on the last draft and learned some new things about prospects so here is my latest draft.

Round 1: Eddie Goldman, DT FSU

In this mock Detroit or Dallas takes Davis, Broncos take Phillips, and Eagles take Armstead. Goldman falls because he didn't impress at his pro day. Can play DE or NT for us.

Round 2: Jaquiski Tartt, SS Samford

This pick hasn't changed even with the Lowrey signing. We haven't started a safety we drafted in the Grigson era since Howell who was an UDFA. Colts finally get a safety for the future. I also like Derron Smith here

Round 3: Josh Shaw, CB USC 

Greg Toler's replacement. The failures of Purifoy and Rodgers haven't soured Grigson from taking a chance on a troubled kid. But Shaw isn't troubled. He had one incident at USC, he was clean before that.

Round 4: Mike Davis, RB South Carolina

I've been trying to pick a RB who will fall to us in the 4th for awhile and I found him. With such a deep RB class, he often gets overlooked. Substitute this pick with Langford if you don't think Davis will fall.

Round 5: Jeremiah Poutasi, OG/OT Utah

The O-line depth and competition is pretty good on the team. Herremans, Thomas, John, Thorton, etc...will all battle for spots. Poutasi provides extra depth. Might be the eventual successor to Cherilus.

Round 6: Derrick Lott, DE/DT Tennessee-Chatanooga

A popular pick in mocks on this board. The guy can play and provide much needed depth on our D-Line. Could rotate early on and compete with Langford for a starting spot.

Round 6: Hayes Pullard, ILB USC

Here is a draft steal. A guy with 2nd round ability but will fall because of how unremarkable a draft this is for ILBs. He is one of the best guys in coverage of this class and was a leader at USC. Needs work in being "meaner" in the run game but he's a great athlete who could become a future cornerstone.

Round 7: Detrick Bonner, FS Virginia Tech

A well-rounded safety who doesn't have a part of his game that sticks out. He can play in any scheme though so he has added value. Good compete for a backup role as a safety, and compete with Dewey later on for a starting role once Adams retires.

Round 7: Davaris Daniels WR Notre Dame

Compensatory pick so not much Is to be expected here. But here's a local kid who said he tailors his game after Reggie Wayne. Probably a practice squad guy/camp body.

How does someone fall because it's a weak draft at his position? The opposite is true.

Because the position won't be drafted high or often. Overdrafting for need is a mistake teams try hard to avoid making. No one is going to take Pullard in the 2nd because they want to get a ILB before the good ones are gone. Grigson has followed that rule and it has worked out for the most part. He's missed on some picks of course, but he hasn't ever really reached on a guy.

Last year's draft is full of examples of guys who went later because teams didn't want to reach on them just because of a weak class at a certain position.

Because the position won't be drafted high or often. Overdrafting for need is a mistake teams try hard to avoid making. No one is going to take Pullard in the 2nd because they want to get a ILB before the good ones are gone. Grigson has followed that rule and it has worked out for the most part. He's missed on some picks of course, but he hasn't ever really reached on a guy.

Last year's draft is full of examples of guys who went later because teams didn't want to reach on them just because of a weak class at a certain position.

Yeah, no.  Pullard won't be drafted that early because nobody is mistaking him for a second round talent.  People get overdrafted because their position is weak overall all the time.  Look at safety last year; two first rounders people thought would be there in the 3rd.  Look at how long some receivers lasted.  If a position group is strong, teams feel like they can wait and get someone good.  If it's weak, they know they have to jump earlier to obtain a decent player.

Yeah, no.  Pullard won't be drafted that early because nobody is mistaking him for a second round talent.  People get overdrafted because their position is weak overall all the time.  Look at safety last year; two first rounders people thought would be there in the 3rd.  Look at how long some receivers lasted.  If a position group is strong, teams feel like they can wait and get someone good.  If it's weak, they know they have to jump earlier to obtain a decent player.

I can see and respect your view on that. Although to be fair,  Buccannon was a fringe 1st rounder anyways.

But look at the CB class last year. Bashaud Breeland, Keith McGill, Louchez Purifoy, Marcus Roberson,etc... they all went a lot later than thought because it was a weak CB class. Breeland and McGill were widely projected 2nd rounders who went in the 4th. Purifoy and Roberson were pretty bad as prospects but they went undrafted.

Although there were still some reaches at CB that year, it showed that you won't shoot up just because the class is weak. There may be sometimes when that is true but I think a lot of times you drop when it's not a great position group as well. Maybe both are true.

While I would love this draft after it happened, I would be cursing Grigson for a whole day. If Hayes Pullard fell to our fourth, and we did not take him, I would be furious. When he falls to our fifth, and we do not take him, I would be murderous. Then he falls to our sixth, and we do not take him...

I have only seen Pullard against Boston College plus games of years past from Draft Breakdown but from those tapes he has trouble shedding blocks, Does not hit with bad intentions, Loves to dive at ankles to tackle (A pet peeve of mine when watching a tackle attempt)...He certainly has plenty of production and I do like his coverage skills at ILB so if you have more I can watch I'd like to see but just based on what I watched I wouldn't draft him

I like the Shaw pick

I like the Eddie Goldman pick

Not a big fan of the Tartt pick and I think he is more of a 4th rounder and much more a box safety

Mike Davis is alright but rather have Abdullah or Johnson a round higher......Though again I like the Shaw pick

I'd go something like:

1.Eddie Goldman

2.Duke Johnson

3.Josh Shaw

4.Cody Prewitt

5.Jeff Luc

With my top 5

R1 Jordan Phillips DT big run suffer, and can solidify our d-line

R2 Tevin Colman RB speedster and can be perfect compliment to gore and the future of our run game

R3 Jaquiski Tartt S great upside could be the future of the defense great size speed and power

R4 Tyler Lockett WR hard copy of T.Y. After a slide in the prospect list, can become a dangouse threat for years to come

R5 Jarvis Harrison G can become an amazing guard if he stays in the nfl (highly likely)

R6 Corey Riggs CB could be a very good 4th option for years to come

R6 Tayo Fabuluje OT ht. 6'7" wt. 355 he's a monster with great speed but very raw

R7 Kaleb Eulls DT great run stuffer and could rotate with art jones

R7 Dee Hart RB/KR great size and speed, great kick returner to replace Whalen and cribbs

I have only seen Pullard against Boston College plus games of years past from Draft Breakdown but from those tapes he has trouble shedding blocks, Does not hit with bad intentions, Loves to dive at ankles to tackle (A pet peeve of mine when watching a tackle attempt)...He certainly has plenty of production and I do like his coverage skills at ILB so if you have more I can watch I'd like to see but just based on what I watched I wouldn't draft him

I like the Shaw pick

I like the Eddie Goldman pick

Not a big fan of the Tartt pick and I think he is more of a 4th rounder and much more a box safety

Mike Davis is alright but rather have Abdullah or Johnson a round higher......Though again I like the Shaw pick

I'd go something like:

1.Eddie Goldman

2.Duke Johnson

3.Josh Shaw

4.Cody Prewitt

5.Jeff Luc

With my top 5

Round 2-3 is too high for a RB IMO. I'm not completely opposed to a RB early but we have pressing needs on defense.

Personally, I think James Sample will end up being a better NFL safety than Tartt. Both guys will need a year of seasoning before they make an impact. 

I really like Shaw in the 3rd. I also really like your day 3 picks. Guys always fall. Davis, Poutasi and Pullard would represent great value in those slots.