Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dustin's Mock Draft 2.0

"Everybody wants to draft and develop until they have to develop"

Round 1 - Ronald Darby, CB, FSU

The secondary is the strength of the Colt's defense. Yet, there is little to no depth behind the trio of Davis, Butler, and Toler. Darby is a very athletic corner with great coverage ability. You have to live with not getting a starter with your first pick, but Darby would be a starter in the 2016 season opposite Vontae. Darby could be gone by this pick, but if he is here, he's arguably the BPA. 

Round 2 - Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson. 

Colts need an athletic LB who can come in on passing downs and play in coverage. Some of you know I'm not the biggest fan of Anthony (mostly as a first rounder), but he has elite athleticism than can be molded into a potential starter in a year or two.

Round 3 - Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina. 

Davis is truly a rolling-ball of butcher knives. After a disappointing season where he was supposed to lock himself in as a first-round pick, Davis is currently being under-appreciated by draftniks. He's a very compact back at 5'9" 220 lbs who runs with power and burst. He reminds me of a young Maurice Jones-Drew. 

Round 4 - Durrell Eskridge, S, Syracuse

Anyone who's see some of my other mocks knows I'm a big fan of Eskridge. He's a big, smooth athlete with great change of direction ability in coverage. Colts grab a potential starting caliber safety (or at the very least a good special teams player) and follow Seattle's blue-print of adding length to the secondary. 

Round 5 - Xaiver Williams, DT, Northern Iowa. 

Williams is an athletic, high-motor pass rushing DT with good instincts. Not a 2-gap player as he lacks the strength to anchor the line. Also has 8 career blocked kicks in college. Special teams and rotational player. 

Round 6 - David Perry, DT, Stanford

Round 6 - Matt Miller, WR, Boise State

Round 7 - Tyler Moore, G, Florida

Round 7 - Deandre Smelter, WR, Georgia Tech

not a single DE? 

I drafted two. Perry and Williams.

thats the first time ive seen darby in the first round

He is in a bunch of the ones I look at. 

He's slowly being raised higher and higher while people are now figuring out how underrated he is. He'll be unanimously mocked in the first closer to the draft. 

Just curious Dustin, what's your opinion of Eli Harold and Duke Johnson? Those are both guys I'd like to see the Colts draft. I do like your first two picks. I've seen them match up with UVa and I like both of those guys.

Just curious Dustin, what's your opinion of Eli Harold and Duke Johnson? Those are both guys I'd like to see the Colts draft. I do like your first two picks. I've seen them match up with UVa and I like both of those guys.

I did profile's on both of them here:

Harold

Duke 

TL;DR:

I don't like Harold that much. I think he's a mid 2nd-round talent with high upside though.

Duke is a gawd. 

I did profile's on both of them here:

Harold

Duke 

TL;DR:

I don't like Harold that much. I think he's a mid 2nd-round talent with high upside though.

Duke is a gawd. 

I'd be pumped if the Colts drafted Harold in the second and developed him to play opposite of Newsome when Mathis and Cole leave. Agree about Duke. Love that kid, I worry that Houston or NE will draft him and he will torture us Colts fans.

I thought a 3-4 DT and DE had different responsibilities 

Ehhh sort of. They really mix it up a lot. Usually the DT (RJF last year) does a lot more 1-gapping as opposed to the DE (Redding) 2-gapping. 

Regardless, I wasn't making that distinction in my mock, I was just lumping them together. 

I drafted two. Perry and Williams.

He is in a bunch of the ones I look at. 

He's slowly being raised higher and higher while people are now figuring out how underrated he is. He'll be unanimously mocked in the first closer to the draft. 

williams is my favorite of the the two big bodied guy who could possibly get snaps at NT

It's interesting to me that you didn't do the defensive line until later on.   I've actually been thinking that way myself latelyafter seeing how many of the colts current D lineman that Grigs and Pagano have confidence in.  I'm inclined to believe they won't spend a lot of high picks on D line help, but more likely to address it later on in the draft. 

You may have guys like Ajayi and maybe even Ameer Abdullah available in the 3rd.  Maybe even some others so I'm not sure I'd go with Mike Davis.  I think he's a good back, but not my first choice.

Just because Ajayi and Abdullah might fall to the 3rd,  doesn't mean they'll fall all the way to the bottom of the 3rd.

I think the chances of either falling that far are pretty slim....    but Davis might very well be there.

Just because Ajayi and Abdullah might fall to the 3rd,  doesn't mean they'll fall all the way to the bottom of the 3rd.

I think the chances of either falling that far are pretty slim....    but Davis might very well be there.

We'll see.  No one thought Moncrief would be there in the 3rd last year either.  I don't think the chances are that high we go with Mike Davis to be honest.  Not as much as we pass the football, we'd probably go with a back that is built for the passing and the running game.  I can see us going as high as the 2nd round if warranted.

We'll see.  No one thought Moncrief would be there in the 3rd last year either.  I don't think the chances are that high we go with Mike Davis to be honest.  Not as much as we pass the football, we'd probably go with a back that is built for the passing and the running game.  I can see us going as high as the 2nd round if warranted.

If I follow what you're saying, you think we might go as high as a 2nd round pick for a running back?

"Everybody wants to draft and develop until they have to develop"

Round 1 - Ronald Darby, CB, FSU

The secondary is the strength of the Colt's defense. Yet, there is little to no depth behind the trio of Davis, Butler, and Toler. Darby is a very athletic corner with great coverage ability. You have to live with not getting a starter with your first pick, but Darby would be a starter in the 2016 season opposite Vontae. Darby could be gone by this pick, but if he is here, he's arguably the BPA. 

Round 2 - Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson. 

Colts need an athletic LB who can come in on passing downs and play in coverage. Some of you know I'm not the biggest fan of Anthony (mostly as a first rounder), but he has elite athleticism than can be molded into a potential starter in a year or two.

Round 3 - Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina. 

Davis is truly a rolling-ball of butcher knives. After a disappointing season where he was supposed to lock himself in as a first-round pick, Davis is currently being under-appreciated by draftniks. He's a very compact back at 5'9" 220 lbs who runs with power and burst. He reminds me of a young Maurice Jones-Drew. 

Round 4 - Durrell Eskridge, S, Syracuse

Anyone who's see some of my other mocks knows I'm a big fan of Eskridge. He's a big, smooth athlete with great change of direction ability in coverage. Colts grab a potential starting caliber safety (or at the very least a good special teams player) and follow Seattle's blue-print of adding length to the secondary. 

Round 5 - Xaiver Williams, DT, Northern Iowa. 

Williams is an athletic, high-motor pass rushing DT with good instincts. Not a 2-gap player as he lacks the strength to anchor the line. Also has 8 career blocked kicks in college. Special teams and rotational player. 

Round 6 - David Perry, DT, Stanford

Round 6 - Matt Miller, WR, Boise State

Round 7 - Tyler Moore, G, Florida

Round 7 - Deandre Smelter, WR, Georgia Tech

For whatever it's worth,  there's a broad view of Darby where I'm reading....

Here's the breakdown:

Kiper:             Not a top-10 corner

McShay:        7th ranked corner;  54th best player overall

NFL.com:       3rd ranked corner:  32nd best player overall

CBSSports:   8th ranked corner:  66th best player overall

If I follow what you're saying, you think we might go as high as a 2nd round pick for a running back?

I do if it's warranted.  Most of the best RB are going to go in that round I believe.

If there is a guy there whom the Colts are high on they may.  I think Abdullah and maybe Ajayi

could slide a bit, but I kind of agree with you that they may not slide as low as late 3rd round.

I do if it's warranted.  Most of the best RB are going to go in that round I believe.

If there is a guy there whom the Colts are high on they may.  I think Abdullah and maybe Ajayi

could slide a bit, but I kind of agree with you that they may not slide as low as late 3rd round.

Honestly,  I love all the 2nd and 3rd round RB's.    My 2nd round guys are Ajayi, Abdullah, Duke Johnson and Coleman.   I really think each is very good and worth of a 2nd round pick.

But, I don't think a RB is such a need (since Gore is our #1 guy) that we want to spend a 2 on the position.

I have us taking a RB in the 4th.   I think there will be a very solid guy we'll like there.    This is a very, very deep draft for RB's.

Honestly,  I love all the 2nd and 3rd round RB's.    My 2nd round guys are Ajayi, Abdullah, Duke Johnson and Coleman.   I really think each is very good and worth of a 2nd round pick.

But, I don't think a RB is such a need (since Gore is our #1 guy) that we want to spend a 2 on the position.

I have us taking a RB in the 4th.   I think there will be a very solid guy we'll like there.    This is a very, very deep draft for RB's.

You have to keep in mind Gore is 32 though. I think we need a young guy who can sure enough carry the load going forward and in case Gore went down.  Some of these backs are so good it's hard to pass up something like that at the bottom of the 2nd.  I think if Gurley, Johnson, Abdullah, Coleman are sitting there I don't think you pass it up.  We'll see what happens.

You have to keep in mind Gore is 32 though. I think we need a young guy who can sure enough carry the load going forward and in case Gore went down. 

Understood and agreed.  

I just think we can get that guy in the 4th round and don't have to spend such a high pick to be a back-up.

Considering the quality of last year's WR class, it wasn't surprising at all that Moncrief was available in the 3rd.

Understood and agreed.  

I just think we can get that guy in the 4th round and don't have to spend such a high pick to be a back-up.

Who do you think is going to be there in the 4th?  Give me some names you like.

I'm not as sure there will be that much available there besides maybe Langford and

he'll probably go in the 3rd perhaps.  I'm only okay on Mike Davis.

Considering the quality of last year's WR class, it wasn't surprising at all that Moncrief was available in the 3rd.

And using the same logic, would it be surprising if one of the better backs was available late in the 3rd this year?

And that's using hindsight.  I don't think there were that many putting those other guys as head and shoulders above

Moncrief before the draft.  They all had 2nd round grades.  And especially after Moncrief ran a 4.3, not many on this

board expected him there in the third.

And that's using hindsight.  I don't think there were that many putting those other guys as head and shoulders above

Moncrief before the draft.  They all had 2nd round grades.  And especially after Moncrief ran a 4.3, not many on this

board expected him there in the third.

It's not hindsight at all. I pretty much preferred all the receivers that were taken ahead of him.

Who do you think is going to be there in the 4th?  Give me some names you like.

I'm not as sure there will be that much available there besides maybe Langford and

he'll probably go in the 3rd perhaps.  I'm only okay on Mike Davis.

Here's a rough breakdown on RB's and the round they make go in....  note, I could see some of my 3rd round guys going in the 4th and some of my 4th round guys going in the 3rd.   Depends on what the teams are looking for....

And this is no particular order here.....

1st R:   Gurley, Gordon

2nd R:  Ajayi, Coleman, Abdullah, Duke Johnson

3rd R:   Yeldon,  David Johson, Buck Allen

4th R:  Davis, Langford, Jones, Cobb,  Williams

Again,  I think many of the names in the 3rd and 4th round are potentially interchangeable.    The first two rounds feel pretty solid to me.

But I think one of those guys will be on the Colts as our primary back-up next year to Gore.

Just to be clear, I wasn't knocking moncrief....I really just liked a boatload of receivers last yr.

The only knock I have on Moncrief and I thought Superman was knitpicking a bit at the time when he pointed it out is his penchant for body catching the football.  There were some catches he could have had last year if he would have went up and snatched it out of the air instead of letting it get into his body.  Hopefully Andre Johnson will help him with that some.

Here's a rough breakdown on RB's and the round they make go in....  note, I could see some of my 3rd round guys going in the 4th and some of my 4th round guys going in the 3rd.   Depends on what the teams are looking for....

And this is no particular order here.....

1st R:   Gurley, Gordon

2nd R:  Ajayi, Coleman, Abdullah, Duke Johnson

3rd R:   Yeldon,  David Johson, Buck Allen

4th R:  Davis, Langford, Jones, Cobb,  Williams

Agaan,  I think many of the names in the 3rd and 4th round are potentially interchangeable.    The first two rounds feel pretty solid to me.

But I think one of those guys will be on the Colts as our primary back-up next year to Gore.

I think Langford may have some every down ability and I like his 4.4 speed.  Cobb I liked in the Senior Bowl, but I'm still needing to find out how fast he is.  I'm waivering on if he'll ever be the guy to get most of the carries.  I actually like Ajayi better than I like Cobb and Davis. We'd have a bruising running game with Gore and Ajayi I think.  Add in Herron and Tipton(or whoever) on the back end and that's pretty solid.   I think the guys who can take most of the carries if need be will be gone in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

I think Langford may have some every down ability and I like his 4.4 speed.  Cobb I liked in the Senior Bowl, but I'm still needing to find out how fast he is.  I'm waivering on if he'll ever be the guy to get most of the carries.  I actually like Ajayi better than I like Cobb and Davis. We'd have a bruising running game with Gore and Ajayi I think.  Add in Herron and Tipton(or whoever) on the back end and that's pretty solid.   I think the guys who can take most of the carries if need be will be gone in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

There are even more backs than I listed.....    that's just the top 14.....

This is a surprisingly deep and talented pool....

I'm hopeful we get one with our 4th R pick...

I like the draft, but I think maybe flipping the first and second round picks would work better. Possibly drafting an ILB like Kendricks in the first and picking a corner in the 2nd maybe 3rd. I don't mind Anthony but I feel there is more of a drop off from Kendricks to Anthony than there is Darby to the next couple corners on the board.

We'll see. No one thought Moncrief would be there in the 3rd last year either. I don't think the chances are that high we go with Mike Davis to be honest. Not as much as we pass the football, we'd probably go with a back that is built for the passing and the running game. I can see us going as high as the 2nd round if warranted.

Have you watched any film on Davis? He's a very good reciever