Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Giants to let Eli play out his contract

amfootball

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12541616/new-york-giants-comfortable-letting-eli-manning-play-deal

I find this story fascinating. Apparently the Giants and Eli are not close on a contract extension and the Giants are prepared to let Eli play out his final year. It would seem the Giants want to do an extension similar to what Big Ben got but Eli wants more.

I didn't realize Eli had one of his better seasons statiscally last year thanks in large part to Beckhman.

Do folks think Eli hits the market?

What time those SB wins had bought for Coughlin and Eli will run out at the end of 2015 if their current trajectory holds. Loyalty has a finite boundary in this NFL. 

Yeah, I do wonder how much Eli believes he is currently worth. I would not pay him anymore than Big Ben may be even less as Ben as been more consistent than Eli the last several years.

I think Eli returns to New York.  For whatever reason, every time the fans have called for him or Coughlin to go, they've won a Super Bowl haha.  This past season, he had a 63% completion rate, 4400 yards, and 30 TDs.  Beckham certainly helped, but I think Eli is a solid QB.  It took a little while for him to get used to McAdoo's offense, but the stats don't like.  He had the best statistical season of his career.  They just need to add more talent, especially on defense.

I think as long as Coughlin is there Eli will be. Yes Eli did have a good season and not too many noticed it. Eli fits very good in New York with their media circus. He is as laid back as any QB I have ever seen.

True, he did have a better season than he gets credit for. A lot of people pick on him but he came up big in some games last year. 

"The Giants are comfortable letting Eli play out his contract" isn't quite the same as "Giants to let Eli play out his contract."

We'll see what happens.

Very true..and its going to be irrelevant..

Eli willshould have a very big year with a certain second n year WR that catches everything

..and the rest of the division is good but unsettled

I think Eli returns to New York. For whatever reason, every time the fans have called for him or Coughlin to go, they've won a Super Bowl haha. This past season, he had a 63% completion rate, 4400 yards, and 30 TDs. Beckham certainly helped, but I think Eli is a solid QB. It took a little while for him to get used to McAdoo's offense, but the stats don't like. He had the best statistical season of his career. They just need to add more talent, especially on defense.

I'm sure it was no coincidence that the moment he got one of the most talented receivers in the league his stats improved quite a bit

Qbs don't do it alone, if you have garbage out there at the skill positions, the stats will reflect that

Not sure how he could justify making more than Roethlisberger. . They both have 2 SB wins and big Ben has been more consistent

I'm sure it was no coincidence that the moment he got one of the most talented receivers in the league his stats improved quite a bit

Qbs don't do it alone, if you have garbage out there at the skill positions, the stats will reflect that

Not sure how he could justify making more than Roethlisberger. . They both have 2 SB wins and big Ben has been more consistent

I don't know. Eli had been awful for three seasons prior to last year ... As you said, Big Ben has lost a ton of talent too and he has not looked nearly as bad as Eli has.

I don't know. Eli had been awful for three seasons prior to last year ... As you said, Big Ben has lost a ton of talent too and he has not looked nearly as bad as Eli has.

This. I think the Giants move on after this season, because things definitely aren't getting easier in the NFC East. Maybe they'll look to Nassib or maybe they address the position at some point in this upcoming Draft.

Coughlin just signed a one year extension this off-season so he is there through 2016.

no coach goes into the last year of a contract and survives. You can't run a team with no commitment from mgt. the players know that contract and it creates problems. I will be honest I see this as coughlins last....don't be surprised they don't throw a whole bunch of money at someone like cowers to come back to the NFL...he seems like a perfect giant coach.

"The Giants are comfortable letting Eli play out his contract" isn't quite the same as "Giants to let Eli play out his contract."

We'll see what happens.

Exactly....offseason story....drama where there is none. Eli likely won't earn more money anywhere else on or off the field. He is a perfect fit in the big apple...handles the pressure and quietly and confidently leads that team.

its not been receiver problems so much as a horrible OL and a defense that lost its bite and couldn't get off the field and forced Eli to play from behind and try to force things. The offense looked a lot better even without beckham so with their additions on the OL last year...new offense and getting some playmakers I can see them bouncing back. Last thing the Pats want to see is Eli back in the SB....he just performs in big moments....the unpeyton manning come February. I may be a minorty but I think he is the better qb between him and Ben...just a personal preference and I know what the stats say but give him some quality around him and I would take him to win a big game.

This. I think the Giants move on after this season, because things definitely aren't getting easier in the NFC East. Maybe they'll look to Nassib or maybe they address the position at some point in this upcoming Draft.

HUH? So a fan of a team without a franchise qb thinks "sure just get rid of a two time SB winning qb coming off the best season of his career to run with a no name backup qb!" Yeah right....like you guys wouldn't swoop him up in a sec....I mean clearly we see the NFL is chalk full of talented qbs coming into the league ready to take their team to a SB. This guy is in the prime of his career....he isn't peyton in the twilight. I like most of your posts but this is just crazy.

HUH? So a fan of a team without a franchise qb thinks "sure just get rid of a two time SB winning qb coming off the best season of his career to run with a no name backup qb!" Yeah right....like you guys wouldn't swoop him up in a sec....I mean clearly we see the NFL is chalk full of talented qbs coming into the league ready to take their team to a SB. This guy is in the prime of his career....he isn't peyton in the twilight. I like most of your posts but this is just crazy.

The Giants are not getting rid of Eli. I see him playing his whole career here. I am not as high on Eli as you are (I like Rivers and Ben more) but I agree that he is perfect for NY. I think the Giants will have a good year this coming season.

I disagree with something you wrote earlier. In 2013, Eli threw many interceptions and he put the defense in bad situations. It was not the other way around. I watched all those games and he was responsible for most of those losses, IMO. I guess that is why the OC "retired". There was at least one game last year when if one did not watch the game, one would think that the defense was responsible for the loss. However, the defense played a great game but Eli kept giving the ball back to the opponent. I think it was a game against the Niners.

Yeah 2013 was a train wreck....no doubt...I just think in general he has tried to do too much when he didn't have the line, running game, or a secondary when they got destroyed with injuries. No excuses for 2013... But I do like his big game presensce....cool as a cucumber that kid. I respect that. I still think outside the SB years Ben has had more talent then Eli...even though I can't support my choice with numbers I just prefer Eli in big games.

No offense, but Eli has been pretty bad the past few years. In all honesty he probably should have been benched in what was it, 2013? But maybe you're right. If the owner thinks he can play better with ODJ then he will get the chance to finish his career there. I don't think it's crazy to think that there's a chance the Giants move on though.

No offense, but Eli has been pretty bad the past few years. In all honesty he probably should have been benched in what was it, 2013? But maybe you're right. If the owner thinks he can play better with ODJ then he will get the chance to finish his career there. I don't think it's crazy to think that there's a chance the Giants move on though.

maybe I was a bit salty but yes Eli has had some rough seasons when the offense around him was horrendous....last year though he was really good quietly...and the new system is working....so I think they keep him....not many more clutch qbs in the playoffs.

All that means is that they have to pay him through 2016, not that he will actually be there in 2016. If they want to can him they can just write a check and move on.

its so he isn't a lame duck coach....everyone knows couglins is year by year though and likely at his age to probably be finishing up sooner rather than later.

Eli did play like crap last year & yes, I know Victor Cruz was gone, but Odell Beckham played lights out though. The Giants front office is doing the right thing in waiting because whenever people doubt Big Blue they surprise everybody. Okay I know Eli got a new OC in Ben McAdoo. Sounds like a cookie to me. Give me some chips a hoy, a few Oreos, & throw in a couple Mcadoos too. 

Spags is their DC again so that should help. He seems to have good luck in NY for some unknown reason. Oh yeah, you're supposed to demolish Dallas Eli what the hades man? Losing twice to the Cowboys is unacceptable man. Yes, I know they kicked INDY's caboose 42-7 darn it. 

At one time, I thought Bill Cowher had his eye on the NY Giants job, but not anymore. He likes his broadcasting NFL gig at CBS too much to return to coaching now.

I always wanted to see him spit saliva on the sidelines in a blue jacket in New Jersey just like he used to do in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 

maybe I was a bit salty but yes Eli has had some rough seasons when the offense around him was horrendous....last year though he was really good quietly...and the new system is working....so I think they keep him....not many more clutch qbs in the playoffs.

That's the thing...he hasn't gotten them to the playoffs in a while. When he gets there he seems to be money, but magic fades...I don't know if I could take yet another Patriots-Giants Super Bowl haha been there done that already....twice.

That's the thing...he hasn't gotten them to the playoffs in a while. When he gets there he seems to be money, but magic fades...I don't know if I could take yet another Patriots-Giants Super Bowl haha been there done that already....twice.

Better than a Seattle/Pat SB lol.....actually it was a great game...just couldn't really root for anyone. Do I root for Belicheck or Carroll....hard to like either one. Both great coaches but ugh....not easy to like. That said its about time for the Giants to make a run lol....I do think that offense will be good this year...they just need help on defense.