Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McCoy - Eagles panicked getting Murray and Mathews

amfootball

These comments by McCoy sound like sour grapes. I am not sure why he thinks the Eagles panicked getting Murray and Mathews to replace him as both guys were signed early in FA.

I do think the one thing that is apparent is Kelly jettisoned McCoy maybe for the same reasons as Jackson. At first it seemed he wanted to off-load his salary but with the signings of Murray and Mathews that obviously was not the case. He did not want McCoy anymore and upgraded the position with two quality backs.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12534897/lesean-mccoy-calls-philadelphia-eagles-signings-demarco-murray-ryan-mathews-panic-move

These comments by McCoy sound like sour grapes. I am not sure why he thinks the Eagles panicked getting Murray and Mathews to replace him as both guys were signed early in FA.

I do think the one thing that is apparent is Kelly jettisoned McCoy maybe for the same reasons as Jackson. At first it seemed he wanted to off-load his salary but with the signings of Murray and Mathews that obviously was not the case. He did not want McCoy anymore and upgraded the position with two quality backs.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12534897/lesean-mccoy-calls-philadelphia-eagles-signings-demarco-murray-ryan-mathews-panic-move

I have heard several reporters/analysts say that one of the things Chip did not like about McCoy was that he insisted on improvising and would not follow the play like Chip had drawn it up.  And although this often resulted in big plays, I guess players not running the plays exactly how he designs them is one of Chips big pet peeves.  I don't know how true this is, but have heard it from a couple of different places.

I don't see Murray as an upgrade to McCoy in all honesty.

Yeah but they netted Kiko Alonzo in the deal.. so Murray doesn't have to be a big upgrade for it to be a benefit for the Eagles.  Murray and McCoy are making about the same total compensation -- so that part is a wash.

When Chip lost his #1 target (Gore) he panicked and when hard after the only power back left (Murray). It's an upgrade as Murray is better than Gore, but it was a panic move nonetheless.

Except that is not what happened at all. Kelly traded McCoy willingly. He offered a contract to Gore who passed. Kelly then traded for Bradford who then outreached to Murray about coming to the Eagles given they played together in college. At that point, Kelly had already signed Mathews. After Murray expressed interest, Kelly signed him. I don't see any panic whatsoever. If anything, Kelly has been shrewd in his dealings and got one of the best FA backs left early in FA and both backs are younger than Gore.

Except that is not what happened at all. Kelly traded McCoy willingly. He offered a contract to Gore who passed. Kelly then traded for Bradford who then outreached to Murray about coming to the Eagles given they played together in college. At that point, Kelly had already signed Mathews. After Murray expressed interest, Kelly signed him. I don't see any panic whatsoever. If anything, Kelly has been shrewd in his dealings and got one of the best FA backs left early in FA and both backs are younger than Gore.

Younger yet more injury prone

Except that is not what happened at all. Kelly traded McCoy willingly. He offered a contract to Gore who passed. Kelly then traded for Bradford who then outreached to Murray about coming to the Eagles given they played together in college. At that point, Kelly had already signed Mathews. After Murray expressed interest, Kelly signed him. I don't see any panic whatsoever. If anything, Kelly has been shrewd in his dealings and got one of the best FA backs left early in FA and both backs are younger than Gore.

Your sequence of events and conclusions aren't really accurate.

He has less wear and tear than McCoy or Gore even if he is more injury prone.

But he has less wear and tear because he is always injured though. I mean obviously if can't play you don't have the mileage.

I would say McCoy is more durable at this point than Murray.

They're both 26, and McCoy has been the leagues top back for more than one year, and also didn't play behind the leagues best line.

McCoy is Ryan Matthews and Murray in a single package. So unless Murray and Matthes can run it at the same time I'll McCoy.

But he has less wear and tear because he is always injured though. I mean obviously if can't play you don't have the mileage.

They're both 26, and McCoy has been the leagues top back for more than one year, and also didn't play behind the leagues best line.

McCoy is Ryan Matthews and Murray in a single package. So unless Murray and Matthes can run it at the same time I'll McCoy.

From what I have read on Eagles boards, Kelly was unhappy with McCoy running so much side to side vs downhill which is why he looked at Gore first in FA and then ultimately ended up with Murray and Matthews.

The only reason why I posted the thread was not to get into a discussion about what backs are better but to refute the notion that the Eagles panicked. That comment seems really bizarre to me given Kelly willfully traded McCoy. It is not like McCoy left in FA unexpectedly. And then Kelly had a deal in place with Gore just a few days later which fell through that some believe may have been influenced by McCoy bad mouthing the Eagles to Gore and then Kelly signed Murray/Mathews after that. I don't see any panic at all and in the end the Eagles ended up with two backs and a defensive player so I am  not sure what McCoy is yapping about at all. 

Gore is still > Matthews.  A concussion waiting to happen.

Maybe.   But with Murray and Sproles, Mathews will have a lesser role and act as a backup in case Murray goes down.   I think Philly is sitting in a much better spot than with McCoy.  

Mccoy averaged 960 yards a year until Chip came there.  In two years under him, he raised his average to 1,460 per year.  Chip's system inflated his value.  They've had the #1 and #2 run blocking O-line since Chip became the coach.  

Mccoy is not going to be anywhere near as productive per carry in Buffalo as Murray or Matthews will be in Philly.