Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adjusted Yards/Att per Reciever

Dustin

I've never heard of this Adjusted yards per attempt stat until now.  But it sounds like it's basically a better way of calculating passer rating.  Usually it's used in reference to the QB but in this it's being used in reference to targets on the WR.  

I'm somewhat surprised that Dwayne Allen is so high but I suppose he gets a lot based on being a big target in the end zone.  

For the record, Andrew Luck was #5 in the NFL in Adjusted Yards per attempt last year behind Rodgers, Romo, Roethlisberger and P.Manning.  

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/player-adjusted-net-yards-per-attempt-statistics/2014/

*Note I just noticed that the above link uses adjusted net yards per attempt which takes into account sack yardage.*

I've never heard of this Adjusted yards per attempt stat until now.  But it sounds like it's basically a better way of calculating passer rating.  Usually it's used in reference to the QB but in this it's being used in reference to targets on the WR.  

I'm somewhat surprised that Dwayne Allen is so high but I suppose he gets a lot based on being a big target in the end zone.  

For the record, Andrew Luck was #5 in the NFL in Adjusted Yards per attempt last year behind Rodgers, Romo, Roethlisberger and P.Manning.  

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/player-adjusted-net-yards-per-attempt-statistics/2014/

*Note I just noticed that the above link uses adjusted net yards per attempt which takes into account sack yardage.*

If your really think about it, most of Allen's receptions tended to be long receptions. His actual YPC was 13.6 yards. Nearly 30% of his receptions were for touchdowns. Looking at the formula it makes sense that particular stat would emphasize him due to the high volume of receptions along with their respective weights. (20yd reception and a TD are equivalent). 

We can also lightly conclude that Reggie's lack of touchdowns drags this stat down quite a bit. Along with his drops at the end lowering catch rate, and the tendency of Luck to force balls to him leading to ints. 

If your really think about it, most of Allen's receptions tended to be long receptions. His actual YPC was 13.6 yards. Nearly 30% of his receptions were for touchdowns. Looking at the formula it makes sense that particular stat would emphasize him due to the high volume of receptions along with their respective weights. (20yd reception and a TD are equivalent). 

We can also lightly conclude that Reggie's lack of touchdowns drags this stat down quite a bit. Along with his drops at the end lowering catch rate, and the tendency of Luck to force balls to him leading to ints. 

True, the 2012 numbers could be hurt by Luck's propensity to "when in doubt target Reggie" then 2014 would be hurt by his bad games.  And he only got half a season in 2013.  

Because of a couple of Very Bad plays by DB`s, Allen broke for a couple of long TD`s last season.

Because of a couple of Very Bad plays by DB`s, Allen broke for a couple of long TD`s last season.

yeah DBs get burned all the time, unless they are one of the top 5 or so in the leage.  thats nothing out of the ordinary

Thing is that Allen was a redzone machine in the pass game.  Guy only had 395 receiving yards last year . . . but caught 8 touchdown passes.  A lot probably on short dump off passes near the end zone.  

29 catches of 50 targets for 395 yards and 8 TD's.  

TY Hilton on the other hand was more a yardage machine.

82 catches of 130 targets for 1345 yards and 7 TD's.  

TY Hilton had nearly a thousand more receiving yards then Allen but still caught less TD's.  Allen's TD catches inflated his numbers here.

Bradshaw's TD catches likely did the same thing for him.