Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Big ben gets new deal

RockThatBlue

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben is quietly one of the better QBs in the league.  Right after Peyton (if healthy), Rodgers, Brady, and Luck, you could make a strong case to put Ben in there and have your top 5.

ben is a good QB but hes never been mentioned as one of the best. 

ben is a good QB but hes never been mentioned as one of the best. 

He's quietly one of the better QBs in the game.  You won't hear his name in the group of elite QBs, but he is a very good QB.  I'd put him in the "very good, but not elite" group with Luck, Matt Ryan, and Tony Romo

He's quietly one of the better QBs in the game.  You won't hear his name in the group of elite QBs, but he is a very good QB.  I'd put him in the "very good, but not elite" group with Luck, Matt Ryan, and Tony Romo

luck is closer to elite status in just three seasons then ben has ever been in his entire career

luck is closer to elite status in just three seasons then ben has ever been in his entire career

Yes, but that doesn't mean Ben isn't a great QB.  Nor does it mean Luck is elite right now.  Ben is a great QB and he deserves that contract.  He didn't just get paid for 2 games, as you suggested.

with a great defense and running game. He wasnt the best player on either of those teams

The defense and running game had been in Pitt forever but no rings since Bradshaw until Ben. Guy was a winner the first 5 seasons of his career with 2 rings and 3 SB appearances.

Ben had a ring in his first three seasons and won his second ring in his 4th season ...

big ben first super bowl he had the worst Passer Rating of any QB that won a super bowl and 2008 the steelers had the best defense that year so he really wasnt the focal point. look at the past 3 seasons when the steelers havent had an elite defense. steelers missed the playoffs from 2011-2013. 2014 was really the only statically good season big ben had in his career by far

big ben first super bowl he had the worst Passer Rating of any QB that won a super bowl and 2008 the steelers had the best defense that year so he really wasnt the focal point. look at the past 3 seasons when the steelers havent had an elite defense. steelers missed the playoffs from 2011-2013. 2014 was really the only statically good season big ben had in his career by far

No team stays competitive forever. Ben has been the constant there now for over 10 years. But my main point was about his first few seasons. Not sure how anyone can claim Luck has had a better start to his career than Ben.

No team stays competitive forever. Ben has been the constant there now for over 10 years. But my main point was about his first few seasons. Not sure how anyone can claim Luck has had a better start to his career than Ben.

did luck have a defense and running game to fall back on? was ben working with mostly rookies his rookie year? 

Tommy Maddox took the steelers to the playoffs before Ben was there. All Ben had to do was hand the ball off and not turn the ball over. ala Trent Dilfer

did luck have a defense and running game to fall back on? was ben working with mostly rookies his rookie year? 

No one wins the SB without a QB getting them there. Ben had a couple of GWDs those post-seasons as well. The guy was as money as they came early on in his career.

No one wins the SB without a QB getting them there. Ben had a couple of GWDs those post-seasons as well. The guy was as money as they came early on in his career.

cough trent dilfer cough cough brad johnson cough. ah sorry. had a really bad cold the last few days

cough trent dilfer cough cough brad johnson cough. ah sorry. had a really bad cold the last few days

lol. Ben was nowhere close to those QBs. I am not sure why it bothers you so much. Luck is great but not every QB out there is inferior to him especially one that won 2 rings his first four in the league.

lol. Ben was nowhere close to those QBs. I am not sure why it bothers you so much. Luck is great but not every QB out there is inferior to him especially one that won 2 rings his first four in the league.

oh hes not inferior. I said hes a good QB I just think he got overpaid

lol. Ben was nowhere close to those QBs. I am not sure why it bothers you so much. Luck is great but not every QB out there is inferior to him especially one that won 2 rings his first four in the league.

he had 9 completions and two picks in the first superbowl.

Yeah, his contract seems a bit steep but he had a great season last year for them and they really don't have an alternative that is any better.

its gonna hurt their cap because they still have to sign brown and then bell in a couple of years

I just hope he doesn't pick up anymore rapes. You know at one point he had nearly as many of those as rings... and the only reason he isn't in prison is because he picked women that were shadier than him. The league should have suspended him for more than 6 games.

The Steelers didn't miss the playoffs in 2011. 3 teams in that division had winning records every year you mentioned and the Steelers were always 1 of them.

Put 1 of today's QBR/stat guys on Ben's teams then and they would be 4-12.

The reason he isn't in prison is because he didn't * anybody.

Anyway Big Ben is my favorite type of quarterback. I'll take him, Eli before 2012, Flacco, etc over any QBR king or stat inflator.

Umm, the league took action because he did do it... and he even settled one of them out of court. It can't be denied.

The league takes action over spilt milk these days, as they should because as soon aa they don't they get attacked over it.

If I had millions of dollars I'd pay a skank I banged once to leave me alone for the rest of my life, not that I condone random sex like Ben has either but that's another post.

Luck carries his team on his back and is a better QB than Ben. 

Ben carries women to the bathroom, and had a great defense and RB to hand off to. 

• 2 months later...

Luck carries his team on his back and is a better QB than Ben. 

Ben carries women to the bathroom, and had a great defense and RB to hand off to. 

Pardon me for bumping an old topic, but you're aware that the Steelers had only 58 rushing yards and 2.2 YPC in Super Bowl XLIII, right? In fact, the Steelers ranked in the bottom 10 in rushing yards and the bottom five in YPC during the 2008 season. If that's supposed to be a great running game, then I'd hate to see what a mediocre running game looks like.

As for the defense, awesome; that's about all Roethlisberger had for half a decade. His offensive line sucked until about a season and a half ago. And after Willie Parker broke his ankle in 2007, the Steelers didn't have another worthwhile RB until they drafted Le'Veon Bell. Rashard Mendenhall doesn't count either; there's a reason why the Steelers told him to get lost, and why only one team offered him a contract afterward. And the WRs as a whole were overrated too, considering a) Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace don't have a single 1,000-yard receiving season without Roethlisberger throwing them the ball, and b) Hines Ward was past his prime by the time Antonio Brown arrived. So yeah, thank God for the defense. Without it, Roethlisberger would have had almost nothing. The reason why the Steelers had back-to-back 8-8 seasons is because the offense had to be blown up and rebuilt, and the defense declined before the rebuilt offense came together.

As for Andrew Luck, no, he's not better than Roethlisberger until he learns how to take care of the ball better. He had 16 INTs last season, which is essentially an INT per game, and he had 13 fumbles, which is more than any other QB in the NFL. That's 29 breaches in ball security last season, which is too damn many for an "elite" QB. That's almost two per game. If Roethlisberger lost the ball at that rate, he'd be crucified upside-down. Luck's eight extra TD passes last season are wiped out by his seven extra INTs and four extra fumbles. I'm sure Luck will be great in the future, but people need to pump the brakes until he's not so careless with the ball.

Pardon me for bumping an old topic, but you're aware that the Steelers had only 58 rushing yards and 2.2 YPC in Super Bowl XLIII, right? In fact, the Steelers ranked in the bottom 10 in rushing yards and the bottom five in YPC during the 2008 season. If that's supposed to be a great running game, then I'd hate to see what a mediocre running game looks like.

As for the defense, awesome; that's about all Roethlisberger had for half a decade. His offensive line sucked until about a season and a half ago. And after Willie Parker broke his ankle in 2007, the Steelers didn't have another worthwhile RB until they drafted Le'Veon Bell. Rashard Mendenhall doesn't count either; there's a reason why the Steelers told him to get lost, and why only one team offered him a contract afterward. And the WRs as a whole were overrated too, considering a) Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace don't have a single 1,000-yard receiving season without Roethlisberger throwing them the ball, and b) Hines Ward was past his prime by the time Antonio Brown arrived. So yeah, thank God for the defense. Without it, Roethlisberger would have had almost nothing. The reason why the Steelers had back-to-back 8-8 seasons is because the offense had to be blown up and rebuilt, and the defense declined before the rebuilt offense came together.

As for Andrew Luck, no, he's not better than Roethlisberger until he learns how to take care of the ball better. He had 16 INTs last season, which is essentially an INT per game, and he had 13 fumbles, which is more than any other QB in the NFL. That's 29 breaches in ball security last season, which is too damn many for an "elite" QB. That's almost two per game. If Roethlisberger lost the ball at that rate, he'd be crucified upside-down. Luck's eight extra TD passes last season are wiped out by his seven extra INTs and four extra fumbles. I'm sure Luck will be great in the future, but people need to pump the brakes until he's not so careless with the ball.

ron-swanson-giggle.gif?w=650

Apparently you haven't seen Luck's offensive live (very offensive) his entire career this far. 

Plus we had Trent Richardson in the backfield.

With those two facts, I didn't read the rest of your post after the bold part. 

Luck > Rothlesburgereater 

Careful, you point out Luck's shortcomings around here and you'll get crucified in a heartbeat.

When he has a bad game, its always dropped passed, the o line, or RBs fault.

Fall in line and call Luck the greatest QB to ever play the game. We would win a single game without him, and hes the only NFL caliber player on our offense...for real son.

I dont think hes careless ,Its hard to throw from your butt and his center sucked.   Also  his receivers did not fight for the ball,(maybe Reggie did before he got hurt) This year we should see alot better stats