Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gurley not letting teams examine his knee

The combine at its most basic is for medical checks and interviews. The athletic drills are important, but the first two, especially from someone who had a bad injury are incredibly important. For some reason, Gurley is not letting teams look at his knee. According to Adam Silver from NFL Network, he "might" let teams do a recheck on his medical status as the draft nears. This makes no sense whatsoever. This is what the combine is for, and sends huge red flags and smoke signals to all the teams. Link is below:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25075267/report-todd-gurley-not-letting-nfl-teams-examine-his-knee

I see on the other Gurley thread this is mentioned late in the thread, but I think it is a big mistake! You could have your own doctor there to monitor the teams doctors if you are worried about anything, but if you were not going to let anyone look, you should have let teams know this before.

Edited by loudnproudcolt

Rather have Johnson at rb in the 2nd if we go rb over a rb that seems like he wont even be healthy till July anyway

What's your objection to a RB not being healthy until July?

Games that count don't start until September....

Plus,  we're talking about a player who is going to have a long career.    Why focus on a few games as opposed to a career.

Is Gurley better?    Yes.    Then take him.

It's not even clear that Johnson can be a stand alone back like Gurley can.

Don't over-think this.......

Isn't that a bit like the bride not letting you look under the veil until after you say "I do"?  Whatever it is, it can't be a good thing.

haha ...reaching up for a garter belt and pulling out a knee brace.

But yeah, I don't like the looks of this either and IMO, we're in no position to draft him off ACL surgery unless he falls to the third round. And IF his surgery happened to include a micro-fracture procedure, I wouldn't draft him at all. Whoever is interested better check it out completely.

According to this report, he declined the Combine medical examinations on the advice of his orthopedic surgeon....Dr. James Andrews.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2015/02/20/todd-gurley-scouting-combine-medical-evaluation/23762907/?hootPostID=384db9ff17ddd0b7cfa308a88a94ef35

I've read that it might be as simple as not wanting a bunch of team docs twisting/testing his knee.  One TE had an old ankle injury tweaked during one of the examinations.  At this point, team doctors are looking out for the teams' interest and are being incredibly thorough (which I imagine means putting some stress on the areas being examined). I have no concerns about him sitting these exams out and kind of think its a smart move.  He will be formally evaluated well before the draft so there should be no surprises.

What's your objection to a RB not being healthy until July?

Games that count don't start until September....

Plus,  we're talking about a player who is going to have a long career.    Why focus on a few games as opposed to a career.

Is Gurley better?    Yes.    Then take him.

It's not even clear that Johnson can be a stand alone back like Gurley can.

Don't over-think this.......

Thing is I don't think anyone knows for sure when in July.....If that's late July then were talking already missing all of OTA's and some of  amp (third letter of alphabet not working on again for some reason...It has been working all day up till now, As you an see my other keys work)

Thing is I don't think anyone knows for sure when in July.....If that's late July then were talking already missing all of OTA's and some of camp.  (third letter of alphabet not working on again for some reason...It has been working all day up till now, As you an see my other keys work)

Again........    who cares?!?

The kid might go on to have a Hall of Fame career and all you seem to be able to focus on is he's going to miss OTA's and the opening of camp of his rookie year.    

I think some perspective is badly missing here.....

Again........    who cares?!?

The kid might go on to have a Hall of Fame career and all you seem to be able to focus on is he's going to miss OTA's and the opening of camp of his rookie year.    

I think some perspective is badly missing here.....

I think your not understanding that a lak of OTA's and amp ould set him bak....And then the position that he plays...Its a given he will take a pounding and that AL will be tested, If it was an arm or a shoulder or hand that's one thing but this is his AL. Now this all ould turn out a moot point if he omes out his rookie season and plays great but Im not willing to forego a healthy Duke Johnson if both are there and we go with a rb

I think your not understanding that a lak of OTA's and amp ould set him bak....And then the position that he plays...Its a given he will take a pounding and that AL will be tested, If it was an arm or a shoulder or hand that's one thing but this is his AL. Now this all ould turn out a moot point if he omes out his rookie season and plays great but Im not willing to forego a healthy Duke Johnson if both are there and we go with a rb

With a great RB, the lack of OTA's and Camp will not set him back far enough to make any kind of real difference, and especially not in the concept of a season and especially a career.

As to the ACL,  I assume whatever team drafts him will have checked him out and cleared him medically.

You're willing to by-pass Gurley at 29 for Duke Johnson.    But you know Johnson is not worth the 29th pick.   So, you then have to hope that Johnson is sitting there at pick 61 when our turn comes around again.    That's a huge risk.   If you pass on Gurley and then Johnson gets picked before pick 61,  then you've struck out twice....

With a great RB, the lack of OTA's and Camp will not set him back far enough to make any kind of real difference, and especially not in the concept of a season and especially a career.

As to the ACL,  I assume whatever team drafts him will have checked him out and cleared him medically.

You're willing to by-pass Gurley at 29 for Duke Johnson.    But you know Johnson is not worth the 29th pick.   So, you then have to hope that Johnson is sitting there at pick 61 when our turn comes around again.    That's a huge risk.   If you pass on Gurley and then Johnson gets picked before pick 61,  then you've struck out twice....

Or you trade down into the 2nd if possible and get him or if you(Grigson) really like him you take him at 29...Though I have said multiple times I'd rather get a rb late anyway and I would draft Gordon at 29 before Johnson if there IF I was to draft a RB....What one team sees or does not see as a ertain round pik (29 in our example) another team (out of the 31 that are left) wont all agree on...That's why someone like AJ Jenkins winds up at over pik 30 in 2012 when many had him as a 3rd rounder if I remember right

RB's have short careers already though in today's passing league. You're lucky to get 7 good years out of a back. A RB with an ACL injury is like a guitarist with metacarpal. Not to say you can't come back from it, but it's likely that they won't ever be the same player an that they've already scraped a year off their career.

Plus now the knee becomes a constant source of worry because you're hoping and praying it doesn't get injured again.

RB's have short careers already though in today's passing league. You're lucky to get 7 good years out of a back. A RB with an ACL injury is like a guitarist with metacarpal. Not to say you can't come back from it, but it's likely that they won't ever be the same player an that they've already scraped a year off their career.

Plus now the knee becomes a constant source of worry because you're hoping and praying it doesn't get injured again.

That's fine.   If you don't want to take Todd Gurley because of his knee injury,  that's one thing.

But those really weren't Gavin's arguments.     His were along the lines of missing OTA's and the opening of camp.

Sorry,  but those weren't very good reasons.

Plus,  he's passing on an every down back for another guy that likely is NOT an every down back and you might not be able to draft him anyway.

It wasn't a very convincing argument.....

That's fine.   If you don't want to take Todd Gurley because of his knee injury,  that's one thing.

But those really weren't Gavin's arguments.     His were along the lines of missing OTA's and the opening of camp.

Sorry,  but those weren't very good reasons.

Plus,  he's passing on an every down back for another guy that likely is NOT an every down back and you might not be able to draft him anyway.

It wasn't a very convincing argument.....

If oming off a torn al and possibly being out nine months and likely missing OTA's at this point and at least a large hunk of amp is not a reason to pass on him at 29 if there for a healthy(as far as we know at this point) Duke Johnson to play in our rb by ommittee approach then Im not sure what is to be honest

If oming off a torn al and possibly being out nine months and likely missing OTA's at this point and at least a large hunk of amp is not a reason to pass on him at 29 if there for a healthy(as far as we know at this point) Duke Johnson to play in our rb by ommittee approach then Im not sure what is to be honest

An acl injury is the least damaging of the ligament injuries to a knee.   RB's come back from that all the time.

Still.....   if you say you don't want to draft Gurley because of that -- fine.

Just don't add all the other nonsense about missing OTA's and the start of camp,  because that's all that is,  nonsense.  And it's a feeble attempt to explain why you want to pass on Gurley.

Just stick to the knee argument.    That's your strongest argument.    The rest just looks silly.

The analogy would be to say a criminal should spend time in jail because he killed someone (OK)  and he also is guilty of committing a u-turn and running a red-light late at night.    The rest is overkill and not needed.    Just stick to the knee argument.

Put another way,  Ahmad Bradshaw has been our best RB for the past two seasons.   He didn't participate in either the OTA's,  the mini-camps,   or any of the pre-season games.    But he was ready when the bell rang as the season started.    So, his injuries didn't stop us from signing him.    We knew he'd miss all of camp and pre-season and we didn't care -- we signed him.

At this point, there are more backs than just Duke Johnson who you would rather have. A lot of healthy RBs with ability to help our team.

That's a really poor comparison

@ProFootballTalk: Dr. James Andrews says Todd Gurley's knee is ahead of schedule http://t.co/ut190pBYUA

“I heard some fuss that Gurley wouldn’t let teams examine him and that’s just totally misleading,” Andrews told ESPN. “The team physicians I have spoken with who are there — and I have spoken to a bunch of them — were all happy about what they saw. I mean, they’re smart enough to know you can’t have 32 teams pulling and tugging on a knee just 3½ months removed from surgery. But the doctors I spoke with said he looked great and I’d say he’s probably six weeks ahead with his recovery.”

Andrews said he gave Gurley a checkup just before he went to Indianapolis, and Gurley is doing well.

“Gurley’s quad muscle is way ahead of what you would expect even at this stage and that’s vital to a good recovery, as you know,” Andrews said. “The Georgia trainer, Ron Courson, did a great job the first six weeks post-surgery and then Todd came here [at the Andrews Institute in Florida] and I was very happy before he left for Indianapolis. He’s been running on a treadmill, running underwater, he’s never had any swelling.”

An acl injury is the least damaging of the ligament injuries to a knee. RB's come back from that all the time.

Still..... if you say you don't want to draft Gurley because of that -- fine.

Just don't add all the other nonsense about missing OTA's and the start of camp, because that's all that is, nonsense. And it's a feeble attempt to explain why you want to pass on Gurley.

Just stick to the knee argument. That's your strongest argument. The rest just looks silly.

The analogy would be to say a criminal should spend time in jail because he killed someone (OK) and he also is guilty of committing a u-turn and running a red-light late at night. The rest is overkill and not needed. Just stick to the knee argument.

Put another way, Ahmad Bradshaw has been our best RB for the past two seasons. He didn't participate in either the OTA's, the mini-camps, or any of the pre-season games. But he was ready when the bell rang as the season started. So, his injuries didn't stop us from signing him. We knew he'd miss all of camp and pre-season and we didn't care -- we signed him.

Youre a doctor now? Let me tell you something from someone that has suffered damn near every knee injury known to man while wrestling, yeah I have bad knees, the hardest one for me to come back from was the ACL, most sports physicians will tell you the same. The ACL not only allows you to go side to side but it helps stability front and back as well. it is in the center of the knee, no blood gets to the ACL, making it harder and longer to heal. I was back within weeks from an MCL, it took over a year for the ACL and still ain't right.

Granted, I'm not a professional athlete with best trainers and doctors but Shelbourne did my knee, same as Marvin and several other pros so I didn't have a quack either. Everyone heals different and at different paces but I still say if you look at the extent of what an ACL does and the time it takes to come back...yeah I'd be worried if I was a team as well about a RB with knee injuries.

Youre a doctor now? Let me tell you something from someone that has suffered damn near every knee injury known to man while wrestling, yeah I have bad knees, the hardest one for me to come back from was the ACL, most sports physicians will tell you the same. The ACL not only allows you to go side to side but it helps stability front and back as well. it is in the center of the knee, no blood gets to the ACL, making it harder and longer to heal. I was back within weeks from an MCL, it took over a year for the ACL and still ain't right.

Granted, I'm not a professional athlete with best trainers and doctors but Shelbourne did my knee, same as Marvin and several other pros so I didn't have a quack either. Everyone heals different and at different paces but I still say if you look at the extent of what an ACL does and the time it takes to come back...yeah I'd be worried if I was a team as well about a RB with knee injuries.

Oh for goodness sakes....   you're taking offense to what I wrote because you have bad knees?

The man had surgery on one knee ligament.    Not two.   Not three.    The timeline given is roughly 9 months.   That alone should tell you that of all knee surgeries,  this is the least damaging.

I didn't say anything there that hasn't been written about or talked about all over sports media.    If you're offended by what I said,  then you're offended by what they're saying.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.   But for you to launch into a rant says far more about you then whatever I wrote that set you off....

Enjoy your weekend.....    :facepalm:

Oh for goodness sakes.... you're taking offense to what I wrote because you have bad knees?

The man had surgery on one knee ligament. Not two. Not three. The timeline given is roughly 9 months. That alone should tell you that of all knee surgeries, this is the least damaging.

I didn't say anything there that hasn't been written about or talked about all over sports media. If you're offended by what I said, then you're offended by what they're saying.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But for you to launch into a rant says far more about you then whatever I wrote that set you off....

Enjoy your weekend..... :facepalm:

Im not offended, never was. Just saying in long about way that an ACL is not a small injury to be taken lightly for a pro athlete.

Im not offended, never was. Just saying in long about way that an ACL is not a small injury to be taken lightly for a pro athlete.

I agree here....   it's not a small injury, or to be taken lightly in any way shape or form.

But of all the possible ligament injuries,  it's my understanding that this is the one to have.     That there are worse,  sometimes even far worse injuries that one could suffer.

I was only trying to offer some perspective to another poster.    I'm sorry if I crossed some line....   not my intention.

Hope we're good....

I agree here.... it's not a small injury, or to be taken lightly in any way shape or form.

But of all the possible ligament injuries, it's my understanding that this is the one to have. That there are worse, sometimes even far worse injuries that one could suffer.

I was only trying to offer some perspective to another poster. I'm sorry if I crossed some line.... not my intention.

Hope we're good....

Yeah we're all good. No line was crossed and no need to apologize. I think the post was taken out of the context I was going for. My bad. Guess that's what happens when I try typing a long post, turns into a rant haha.