Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Revis unhappy with Patriots contract!

The fireworks have already started with Darelle Revis, and I thought for sure the Patriots and him were going to be fine with the contract he signed serving as a "placeholder", and winning the Superbowl.

Basically it comes down to this, Revis is guaranteed 20M next year, and it is the last year of the contract. The cap charge is 25M for the Patriots. The way the contract was structured, Revis thought something different, basically he felt he would be able to sign another contract avg. 16M/yr. with the Patriots with a large signing bonus.

Now, since the Superbowl, the Patritos can keep him and pay him for one year as mentioned above, but that keeps him from hitting the market and getting those huge guaranteed money, and due to his age, this may be his last chance, so he is upset as he feels like the contract was structured to be extended, and getting that large guaranteed money.

What is going to happen, I don't know, but Revis wants an extension with guaranteed money. So will the Patriots keep him for one year and the 25M cap charge, or extend him and give him more guaranteed money. Hard for me to believe either one due to the Patriots strict money policies. Time will tell. I have linked the story below.

Question is, Would you be willing to pay Revis 16M/yr. for 4 yrs., 40M guaranteed to pair him with Vontae. It would be one hell of a CB duo, but that much money without great safetys would be tough. Hey, all we need to do is sign McCourty for 10M/yr. and we are set!  :headspin: Sarcasm intended!

http://overthecap.com/revis-unhappy-patriots-contract/

One more fact, with the 25M cap charge, if they keep him for the one year, Patriots as of now are 5.5M over the cap!

This is insane, lol. If we get the money for Trent and Donald Thomas for releasing them, I would definitely consider it. The problem I have here is it doesn't help to defend the run. We better be taking some run defenders with our first couple picks in the draft if this scenario happened. 

The upside to this, however, is we would have an identity on our defense. Our pass defense and secondary. Vontae and Revis would be great, we could build the defense around them and with a full slate of draft picks, it might be crazy enough to work. If this were to happen, you go best player available on defense for the first three rounds (besides CB), and just start building the dream Defense to compete for a SB. Something like Armstead, Dawson and Harris would be incredible with Vontae and Revis.

Agree, I don't want to spend that much on corners, because if one goes down, and Vontae has missed some time, the cash is just too much. For that money, put it into the trenches. Most teams are very happy to have one shutdown corner. I would much rather put it into McCourty if he goes into FA, and then we have a shutdown CB and a really good FS. That would be a much better investment.

Also, I admit, I want him to leave the Patiots to. I would love for him to go to Buffalo. Can you imagine the defense going up against Brady twice a year. He would get punished, and not see a lot of empty space. In fact, Buffalo has a nice amount of cap space, 27M, if Revis does hit FA, although they would have to overpay, they would be a team I can see going after it. How else are they going to surpass the Patriots? They are a defense based team!

Noise about nothing. Florio is stirring up nonsense, and admits in his article that Revis hasn't commented on his contract, while suggesting that Revis views the contract differently than the Pats do. It's pretty ridiculous, actually. One of the reasons I can't stand Florio, always assuming bad motives and taking shots.

In actuality, the contract was designed to be a one year deal with a predetermined negotiating point prior to 2015. There's no way the Pats keep him at $25m, but if they void the deal, as expected if they don't reach terms on a long term deal, then they can't franchise tag him and he becomes a free agent. That's the real reason they did the deal that way.

When Revis has commented on his situation in the past, he's always suggested that he wants to stay with the Pats. What will likely happen is that they'll agree to an extension, just like both sides envisioned when they did the deal last year. It will probably be in the $12m/year range, by the way.

But to answer the question, no, I wouldn't want to pay $16m/year for a 30 year old corner who has some serious injuries in his past, and who always wants more money. Great player, but unlikely to be worth it long term, and we already have a high dollar corner who is pretty doggone good himself. That would be too much money tied up in two players who play the same position.

The fireworks have already started with Darelle Revis, and I thought for sure the Patriots and him were going to be fine with the contract he signed serving as a "placeholder", and winning the Superbowl.

Basically it comes down to this, Revis is guaranteed 20M next year, and it is the last year of the contract. The cap charge is 25M for the Patriots. The way the contract was structured, Revis thought something different, basically he felt he would be able to sign another contract avg. 16M/yr. with the Patriots with a large signing bonus.

Now, since the Superbowl, the Patritos can keep him and pay him for one year as mentioned above, but that keeps him from hitting the market and getting those huge guaranteed money, and due to his age, this may be his last chance, so he is upset as he feels like the contract was structured to be extended, and getting that large guaranteed money.

What is going to happen, I don't know, but Revis wants an extension with guaranteed money. So will the Patriots keep him for one year and the 25M cap charge, or extend him and give him more guaranteed money. Hard for me to believe either one due to the Patriots strict money policies. Time will tell. I have linked the story below.

Question is, Would you be willing to pay Revis 16M/yr. for 4 yrs., 40M guaranteed to pair him with Vontae. It would be one hell of a CB duo, but that much money without great safetys would be tough. Hey, all we need to do is sign McCourty for 10M/yr. and we are set!  :headspin: Sarcasm intended!

http://overthecap.com/revis-unhappy-patriots-contract/

One more fact, with the 25M cap charge, if they keep him for the one year, Patriots as of now are 5.5M over the cap!

Sorry,  but I'm not shedding a single tear for Revis no matter what happens.

And if the Pats really want to keep Revis for one more year and pay him $20 Mill with a cap hit of 25 Mill and force themselves to be over the cap limit and have New England make roster cuts -- Fine!    By!     Me!!!

Anything that makes Devin McCourty a possible signing by the Colts would be great!