Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Combine Advantages?

neug3246

The only advantage I could see is that we get a bird's eye view of those Porsches 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12282235/adidas-offering-porsche-911-carreras-40-yard-dash-speedsters-nfl-combine

nfl_e_porsche11_300x300.jpg

Adidas is promising Porsche 911 Carreras to the three fastest players in the combine's 40-yard dash who sign with the company before they step up to the line.

Only advantage is that the Colts staff gets to go home instead of to a hotel each night during the combine.

I doubt that gives them any real advantage. . . Maybe a slight advantage in comfort. . . but considering that the team's often send their head guys to the combine, they are likely staying in the nicest hotels in the city anyways.  

Can't imagine that the coaches and GM's are sleeping in a Motel 6.  

Posted · Hidden by SteelCityColt, February 12, 2015 - OT - inflammatory
Hidden by SteelCityColt, February 12, 2015 - OT - inflammatory

I'm not sure why it would. Every team sends its coaches to observe and I don't think Colts' staff get any special access.

The Colts' DB coach usually runs the DB players thru their drills but he's just one of many NFL position coaches who get to do that.

Unless your cheating like the patriots and recording the other coaches and recruiters converstations to find out whos interested in who...

Only advantage is that the Colts staff gets to go home instead of to a hotel each night during the combine.

I doubt that gives them any real advantage. . . Maybe a slight advantage in comfort. . . but considering that the team's often send their head guys to the combine, they are likely staying in the nicest hotels in the city anyways.  

Can't imagine that the coaches and GM's are sleeping in a Motel 6.  

You guess would be right. I don't know where they are staying exactly but it's more than likely the Canterberry or somewhere like that.

I don't see anything that would constitute a real advantage ....

- Having easy access to all our employees and being able to utilize and have constant easy access to Colts corporate office building probably makes things smoother and more convenient for Colts staff.

- The fact that the players get to see how nice the facilities are and that they probably can get a bit more of a feel for the organization and the city might be in the back of UDFAs minds if we were competing for one and all other things being equal if they liked the feeling they got while here and were on the fence might be just enough to tip them our way,  I doubt this ever really comes into play though.   

I think the UDFA point is a good one ESMORT.  People likely have a set notion of what Indianapolis is like and I think having the Combine here allows them to see Indy in its best light.  If it helped tip even one quality desired UDFA to choose us over someone else, that would be a great advantage.  

Other than that, having the convenience of the entire staff readily available as well as our local media etc and the income to the city and promotion of the Colts and Indy being such quality hosts deserving of another Super Bowl (as I really think most coaches and media would agree since our first was such an overwhelming success with amazingly positive after-coverage that superseded anything I have ever heard/seen about any other host, I think it keeps us in people's minds and hopefully will help tip the scale for us to get an otherwise unlikely second Super Bowl.  

That's the most positive spin I can put on it.  People think Indy is a wide spot in a Corn Field most of the time until they visit for a few days and see it for themselves.  

I don't see anything that would constitute a real advantage ....

- Having easy access to all our employees and being able to utilize and have constant easy access to Colts corporate office building probably makes things smoother and more convenient for Colts staff.

- The fact that the players get to see how nice the facilities are and that they probably can get a bit more of a feel for the organization and the city might be in the back of UDFAs minds if we were competing for one and all other things being equal if they liked the feeling they got while here and were on the fence might be just enough to tip them our way,  I doubt this ever really comes into play though.   

Problem with the UDFA advantage is I think a UDFA is more then likely looking for the team he has the best chance of making more then he's looking for the nicest facility.  

But I suppose it could be a minor advantage. 

Perhaps the bigger advantage is what happens 4 years down the road.  If you think about it, nearly every NFL player has been to Indy before they enter the NFL.  So when their rookie deals run out and if their home teams don't re-sign them for one reason or another. . . we have in a sense given them a partial tour of the facilities and the city 4 years ago.