Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wes Welker considering retirement

RockThatBlue

Except that he didn't voluntarily leave NE..did he?

Kinda? The pats offered him very close to what Denver did, within a mil or so I think. While he was thinking on it, they had to cover with something, so they signed Amendela with the money they had lined up for him. I think he got bad advice from his agent, but thats a personal opinion.

Patriots will probably re-sign him. Wouldn't surprise me. 

Why would the Patriots bring Welker back to Foxboro when Welker's concussions are beginning to accumulate & Bill just won his 4th SB with Amendola, LaFell, & Edelman? 

I have a ton of respect for Wes, but with each concussion future head trauma episodes proliferate rapidly. I won't classify Welker as a "vegetable" however, if Manning isn't back either, why return to Denver? 

I admire Welker's toughness & NFL IQ, but he's done IMHO. You have money & a pretty wife now go enjoy the next phase of your life Wes. 

If I could give a ring to somebody deserving, it would Jim Kelly first, Dan Marino next, & finally WR Wes Welker because those guys all worked their tails off. 

I applaud Welker for having the wisdom to walk away from the game prior to being carried off the field god forbid. Not any easy decision to make. 

I still think some Boston fans, not any of my friends on here, gave Wes too much grief for dropping that Brady pass in that NY Giants SB. Welker didn't deserve the heat he got for that incomplete pass over the wrong shoulder JMO. 

I respected Welker the most because he was so lethal on 3rd downs in the slot moving the chains. Remarkable given his short stature, great hands, & decent speed or maybe just general elusiveness. I enjoyed watching you perform at a high level in both NE & Denver man. You were fascinating to witness for all those years Wes. 

Whenever I realize that a player I liked watching every Sunday is about to hang up their cleats for good, I get a little depressed like a relationship is about to dissolve forever now which saddens me. 

This reminds of a song by Blues guitarist Joe Bonamassa called "Different Shades Of Blue." Blue represents my hint of melancholiness obviously.

Yes, I know SW1 is an odd duck...No argument there...

The joke is on him since he went to Denver, and then the Patriots got a ring without him. 

He would have been better served staying in NE both health wise and football wise. He had the perfect fit there with Brady but his issues with Bill got the better of him in the end. I think his retirement is going to have more to do with not having many suitors for his services. His drop in performance this year was huge along with the concussions.

Apparently things got so bad with Welker's agents that the team is concerned about upcoming negotiations with Shane Vereen and Nate Solder (both of whom use the same firm as Welker). If he plays next year, it won't be in NE. 

It's kind of a bummer, actually, that he's played in 2 SBs with NE and one with Denver and has come up empty. He's been a great player and is as tough as they come. I think Edelman has exceed him in terms of his ability on the field... Edelman is just quicker, harder to tackle, and has a little more burst. 

I wish him well either way. At some point I'm sure he'll be inducted into the Patriots' HOF and will be honored by the team accordingly. 

Apparently things got so bad with Welker's agents that the team is concerned about upcoming negotiations with Shane Vereen and Nate Solder (both of whom use the same firm as Welker). If he plays next year, it won't be in NE. 

It's kind of a bummer, actually, that he's played in 2 SBs with NE and one with Denver and has come up empty. He's been a great player and is as tough as they come. I think Edelman has exceed him in terms of his ability on the field... Edelman is just quicker, harder to tackle, and has a little more burst. 

I wish him well either way. At some point I'm sure he'll be inducted into the Patriots' HOF and will be honored by the team accordingly. 

It is amazing to think about the media storm that arose from him leaving and going to Denver to where things are now. Kind of like Logan Mankins this year. Logan who? ;)

It is amazing to think about the media storm that arose from him leaving and going to Denver to where things are now. Kind of like Logan Mankins this year. Logan who? ;)

Especially with how things went in Denver in year one. Record-setting offense, made the Super Bowl, etc. That all turned on him though. 

I actually (almost) feel bad for Mankins. He's a big boy, made his own decisions... I just wonder if he's kicking himself right now. I guess we'll never know what they wanted him to do but I wonder if it would have been worth it in hindsight. 

Pats would not touch him with a ten foot pole and that would have been true even if they did not have Edelman or Amendola. He burned way too many bridges and can't play at a high level anymore.

Are you sure about that? Wanting more money than NE threw on the table is hardly burning a bridge. I don't buy that excuse personally. 

Okay, I will readily admit that since I do not live in Boston I am not privy to contract negotiations at the time or fans reaction to his departure from NE, but honestly, I think a large segment of Patriots fans still respected his contributions in Foxboro, Massachusetts. Edelman has more than replaced Welker at this juncture. I will grant you that, but deciding to leave Denver for more money or to play with Peyton Manning is not burning a bridge no way. We aren't talking Eric Mangini betrayal & hatred here. That's a bit far fetched to put Wes Welker in that category if you ask me. 

He would have been better served staying in NE both health wise and football wise. He had the perfect fit there with Brady but his issues with Bill got the better of him in the end. I think his retirement is going to have more to do with not having many suitors for his services. His drop in performance this year was huge along with the concussions.

He did go to his 3rd SB appearance with the Broncos under the Manning regime. Had Brady lost to Seattle in early February, a distinct possibility BTW, would you still claim Wes would have been better served by remaining put on the Patriots roster? I highly doubt that. 

I'm very protective of Welker who was 1 hades of a WR that never got enough credit for keeping NE drives alive IMO. I don't like how some NFL fans are so dismissive of his value on 2 premium rosters playing for 2 HOF QBs. It royally ticks me off TBH with you. 

I get what you're saying given his age & head trauma episodes, but it bothers me when people use age & concussions to downplay how valuable Wes was to 2 elite football programs in Boston & Denver. A lot of WRs don't play in 1 SB let alone 3; a remarkable achievement. 

Are you sure about that? Wanting more money than NE threw on the table is hardly burning a bridge. I don't buy that excuse personally. 

Okay, I will readily admit that since I do not live in Boston I am not privy to contract negotiations at the time or fans reaction to his departure from NE, but honestly, I think a large segment of Patriots fans still respected his contributions in Foxboro, Massachusetts. Edelman has more than replaced Welker at this juncture. I will grant you that, but deciding to leave Denver for more money or to play with Peyton Manning is not burning a bridge no way. We aren't talking Eric Mangini betrayal & hatred here. That's a bit far fetched to put Wes Welker in that category if you ask me. 

I was more talking about what he said after he signed with Denver. He talked about how he didn't like Bill, how he could be more himself, etc. Also in terms of the neg. his agent was notoriously difficult for the Pats to deal with. Wanting more money is one thing but handling the process the way the did left a bad taste in the Pats FO mouths.

He did go to his 3rd SB appearance with the Broncos under the Manning regime. Had Brady lost to Seattle in early February, a distinct possibility BTW, would you still claim Wes would have been better served by remaining put on the Patriots roster? I highly doubt that. 

I'm very protective of Welker who was 1 hades of a WR that never got enough credit for keeping NE drives alive IMO. I don't like how some NFL fans are so dismissive of his value on 2 premium rosters playing for 2 HOF QBs. It royally ticks me off TBH with you. 

I get what you're saying given his age & head trauma episodes, but it bothers me when people use age & concussions to downplay how valuable Wes was to 2 elite football programs in Boston & Denver. A lot of WRs don't play in 1 SB let alone 3; a remarkable achievement. 

I was not referencing the Super Bowl at all. I think he would have been served career wise to stay with the Pats and I think he would potentially not be contemplating retirement right now had he stayed.

Agents are supposed to be pitbulls & not warm & fuzzy. That's why athletes pay top dollar for rigorous representation. NE's problem, if they have one, is believing that they can constantly insert new pieces on their squad & still fire on all cylinders without a glitch. Look, I trust Bill who clearly knows what the hades he's doing. But, until they signed Revis Island, NE isn't exactly overly generous on the payroll to get their team over the playoff Lombardi hurdle. 

Yes, Welker is tougher than steel & as long as he gets inducted into NE's ring of honor I will be pleased in the longrun too GP. 

I was not referencing the Super Bowl at all. I think he would have been served career wise to stay with the Pats and I think he would potentially not be contemplating retirement right now had he stayed.

Yes, Wes Welker would still be contemplating retirement now even if he stayed because #1 he could go out on top with a Championship & #2 He'd never get any meaningful practice reps with Edelman on the same roster or crucial game action either. Let's be honest here. 

It was wise for Wes to leave for greener Colorado pastures because Belichick was phasing him out. Go where your talents are wanted not neglected & dismissed. 

Yes, Wes Welker would still be contemplating retirement now even if he stayed because #1 he could go out on top with a Championship & #2 He'd never get any meaningful practice reps with Edelman on the same roster or crucial game action either. Let's be honest here. 

It was wise for Wes to leave for greener Colorado pastures because Belichick was phasing him out. Go where your talents are wanted not neglected & dismissed. 

I don't know what might have happened had he stayed. The Pats offered him a two year deal but I agree that he would have been splitting time with Edelman and then eventually phased out given Edelman's progression. But he really did not get a lot of looks in Denver's offense other than the first half of last year. Manning barely every looked his way this season. I do think he lost a lot of speed the last two seasons which is why Bill was thinking the way he was and why he tends to move on from players when others think they still have something left in the tank. He could not have been more right about Welker and had the perfect replacement in Edelman in the wings which was the main impetus for our championship run this year.

I was more talking about what he said after he signed with Denver. He talked about how he didn't like Bill, how he could be more himself, etc. Also in terms of the neg. his agent was notoriously difficult for the Pats to deal with. Wanting more money is one thing but handling the process the way the did left a bad taste in the Pats FO mouths.

You don't think NE plays hard ball & constantly tries to pay athletes on their roster less money for integral experience? Just ask Lawyer Milloy that question after NE's 1st SB victory in 2001. Also, how come players are supposed to take less money to help the franchise out when I doubt that Bill Belichick tells his agent to take less money than he thinks he's worth when Bill is involved in a contract extension either do you? Bill would say what Wes would say, "I deserve to be compensated for my sacrifices & productivity on the field." 

Part of me does agree with you that it's not smart to slam your former HC that's true, but after awhile a player gets sick & tired of being dissected like a dead frog in a high school biology class. Bill wins a lot of games so he gets away with this Patriots Way tactic. However, after you listen to the same speeches & criticisms for 5 years straight, you start zoning your coach out. It happens trust me. Their dialogue starts to wear thin when you know what they will say before they even say it. 

Regarding agents, they are supposed to be adversaries with front office management to get their clients the best deal financially. Money & friendship mixes like oil & water. It always has & it always will. 

I don't know what might have happened had he stayed. The Pats offered him a two year deal but I agree that he would have been splitting time with Edelman and then eventually phased out given Edelman's progression. But he really did not get a lot of looks in Denver's offense other than the first half of last year. Manning barely every looked his way this season. I do think he lost a lot of speed the last two seasons which is why Bill was thinking the way he was and why he tends to move on from players when others think they still have something left in the tank. He could not have been more right about Welker and had the perfect replacement in Edelman in the wings which was the main impetus for our championship run this year.

That's only because of WR Emmanuel Sanders lighting fast speed to stretch the field & take the top off of an aggressive defense. When a QB & WR have a mental connection that just clicks, why not favor him over the rest of your roster? That's not an indictment against Welker at all. It just means when you have a Ferrari in your arsenal you put the hammer down as often as possible. 

You could say the same with Andrew Luck & TY Hilton. TY's speed scares the crap out of opposing DCs, but it doesn't mean than Reggie Wayne or Dante Moncrief are not vital to the Colts game success as the season progresses either AMF. 

Also, if we both agree that NE was phasing Welker out in favor of Edelman, can Wes be blamed for volatile contract talks when Patriots management already decided his role was becoming significantly diminished to be kind? If I was being low balled financially after 2 SB appearances with NE, I'd get testy & somewhat irate myself. I sure as hades wouldn't stick around either. Coaches deserve credit for creating game plans which help your team win matchup battles, but at the end of the day, Bill still needs players like Wes to execute his plan to perfection does he not? Planning is 1 thing; flawless implementation of that game plan is a whole different animal. 

You don't think NE plays hard ball & constantly tries to pay athletes on their roster less money for integral experience? Just ask Lawyer Milloy that question after NE's 1st SB victory in 2001. Also, how come players are supposed to take less money to help the franchise out when I doubt that Bill Belichick tells his agent to take less money than he thinks he's worth when Bill is involved in a contract extension either do you? Bill would say what Wes would say, "I deserve to be compensated for my sacrifices & productivity on the field." 

Part of me does agree with you that it's not smart to slam your former HC that's true, but after awhile a player gets sick & tired of being dissected like a dead frog in a high school biology class. Bill wins a lot of games so he gets away with this Patriots Way tactic. However, after you listen to the same speeches & criticisms for 5 years straight, you start zoning your coach out. It happens trust me. Their dialogue starts to wear thin when you know what they will say before they even say it. 

Regarding agents, they are supposed to be adversaries with front office management to get their clients the best deal financially. Money & friendship mixes like oil & water. It always has & it always will. 

No. I think the Pats get unfairly characterized. They consistently spend to the cap every season. They have as many high players on their roster as other teams, i.e. Gronk, Amendola, Mayo, Revis, etc. I think in the cap/FA era what is critical is putting value on players throughout their careers and I think the Pats do this very well, maybe Bill's best strength as a GM. He is also very good with the draft for the most part which is why he had Edelman in the wings to replace Welker and the rookie OLineman/FAs this year to replace Mankins. I think it just smart, savvy football SW. You cannot pay aging players for past performance. That is a recipe for disaster in the cap era. It may seem cold but that is why there is FA. The rub for guys like Welker and Mankins is they did not find better situations elsewhere than the Pats but they got paid so that is good for them but hardly an indictment on the Pats.

That's only because of WR Emmanuel Sanders lighting fast speed to stretch the field & take the top off of an aggressive defense. When a QB & WR have a mental connection that just clicks, why not favor him over the rest of your roster? That's not an indictment against Welker at all. It just means when you have a Ferrari in your arsenal you put the hammer down as often as possible. 

You could say the same with Andrew Luck & TY Hilton. TY's speed scares the crap out of opposing DCs, but it doesn't mean than Reggie Wayne or Dante Moncrief are not vital to the Colts game success as the season progresses either AMF. 

Also, if we both agree that NE was phasing Welker out in favor of Edelman, can Wes be blamed for volatile contract talks when Patriots management already decided his role was becoming significantly diminished to be kind? If I was being low balled financially after 2 SB appearances with NE, I'd get testy & somewhat irate myself. I sure as hades wouldn't stick around either. Coaches deserve credit for creating game plans which help your team win matchup battles, but at the end of the day, Bill still needs players like Wes to execute his plan to perfection does he not? Planning is 1 thing; flawless implementation of that game plan is a whole different animal. 

I think if Welker had been the same caliber of player that he was two years ago he may have been targeted more this past season.

In terms of Welker's contract situation, maybe he did see the writing on the wall but it sure did get personal for him at the end and that is never a good thing. He really did not get paid much more with Denver than with the Pats and actually may have taken less as the Pats had incentives in their deal that if he reached would have paid him more than with Denver.

I am glad he is considering retirement now as he has had a ton of concussions and I would hate to see him end up with early onset CTE.

I just wanna be clear. I respect you AMF & I am not slamming your take on Wes Welker. I just have a problem when management acts like an elite WR contributions from previous seasons is no longer relevant which explains lower financial compensation. In addition, coaches are either labeled brilliant or fools based on wins or losses in high pressure situations. 1 SB play makes Pete Carroll look foolish while Malcolm Butler's execution made Bill Belichick look like a football genius. In reality, both coaches are smart who need players on both teams to listen, follow through, & win. 

Wes Welker still gets a bum rap which is unfair to me. Guys lose their cool in negotiations. Never mess with a player's woman, family, or income. My rule of thumb anyway. 

No. I think the Pats get unfairly characterized. They consistently spend to the cap every season. They have as many high players on their roster as other teams, i.e. Gronk, Amendola, Mayo, Revis, etc. I think in the cap/FA era what is critical is putting value on players throughout their careers and I think the Pats do this very well, maybe Bill's best strength as a GM. He is also very good with the draft for the most part which is why he had Edelman in the wings to replace Welker and the rookie OLineman/FAs this year to replace Mankins. I think it just smart, savvy football SW. You cannot pay aging players for past performance. That is a recipe for disaster in the cap era. It may seem cold but that is why there is FA. The rub for guys like Welker and Mankins is they did not find better situations elsewhere than the Pats but they got paid so that is good for them but hardly an indictment on the Pats.

This isn't really a question of overall GM cap management AMF. It's a question of taking care of special guys like Welker & Wilfork who did remarkable things to help your franchise almost win 2 SBs against the NY Giants. It's about recognizing Wes's 5 year contributions from 2007-2012. INDY faces the same issue with WR Reggie Wayne. Do we offer him a 1 year extension or say thanks for the memories & cut him loose soon? What you're essentially talking about is productivity vs sentimentally...AKA the Colts Bob Sanders situation: Salary vs injury...

My argument though is this: I break my cut throat production rule with Wes because of what he meant to NE when he 1st arrived there in 2007. It's like Kobe Bryant to the LA LAkers; You pay beloved athletes for their esteemed status & noteriety among the fan masses. You don't do this for all star athletes just a select few; Welker is 1 of those illustrious few. If Wilfork got his money, why not Welker? It's a smart public relations move. 

I think if Welker had been the same caliber of player that he was two years ago he may have been targeted more this past season.

In terms of Welker's contract situation, maybe he did see the writing on the wall but it sure did get personal for him at the end and that is never a good thing. He really did not get paid much more with Denver than with the Pats and actually may have taken less as the Pats had incentives in their deal that if he reached would have paid him more than with Denver.

I am glad he is considering retirement now as he has had a ton of concussions and I would hate to see him end up with early onset CTE.

It's hard to not take contract negotiations personal when a player's respect is tied to how much money you are finally offered though. That's the problem: The player doesn't alter their routine. They still lift weights, breakdown film, attend WR & general team meeting just like they have always done & yet management who doesn't take the hits or sweat in practice can tell a WR since you lost a step I can pay you less money now? It's like reporters with a HOF vote who never played professional football who decide at their leisure who goes into Canton & gets a yellow jacket. It's kind of a circus & lame to boot. 

Also, if a organization doesn't wanna pay you a lot they offer you an incentive laden deal & they make sure you don't touch the ball enough to get a salary bump. My point is that the franchise has all the power here in terms of enforcement not the player themselves.

Personally, I think Welker left NE to play with 2 future HOF QBs throughout his NFL career. A nice feathure on his WR resume. Yeah, CTE is no laughing matter & he would be wise to walk away while he still can. 

I just wanna be clear. I respect you AMF & I am not slamming your take on Wes Welker. I just have a problem when management acts like an elite WR contributions from previous seasons is no longer relevant which explains lower financial compensation. In addition, coaches are either labeled brilliant or fools based on wins or losses in high pressure situations. 1 SB play makes Pete Carroll look foolish while Malcolm Butler's execution made Bill Belichick look like a football genius. In reality, both coaches are smart who need players on both teams to listen, follow through, & win. 

Wes Welker still gets a bum rap which is unfair to me. Guys lose their cool in negotiations. Never mess with a player's woman, family, or income. My rule of thumb anyway. 

One thing to keep in mind with Welker is that they made him an offer the year before he became a free agent that would have paid him more than he made with the Broncos, but he and his agent held out and wanted to test the market.. They vastly over estimated his value on the open market, they were thinking it would be around $9 million a year but no one would touch him at that, so he took $6 million from the Broncos but if he had just taken the deal the Pats offered 1 year prior, he would have not only made more money but would have got himself a Super Bowl ring as well and arguably less concussions given the QBs throwing styles.