Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So what do the colts do at runningback?

bap1331

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fine, but I would still pass. RBs don't have positional value for a team like the Colts who have a lot of needs.

Drafting solely for need severly limits who you choose come draft, Grigsons smarter then solely trying to fill a need in the draft thank god

I have heard some say the Defense is the biggest need area on this team.  But what makes your defense more effective is an unstoppable offense.  We can draft/sign all the defensive players you want.  If you offense can not move the ball down field and score 7's. Your number one defense will get tired, and bad things will happen.  This team has the QB, 1 WR in place now.  What would make this team unstoppable right now? 3 or maybe 4 players away.  I'm thinking a WR, Right side of the Offensive line, and a game breaking RB.  If Seattle does not want Marshawn Lynch the Colts should be the first in line.(You're building a monster you need a BEAST).  Sign a RT, and draft a WR first round.  As far as defense sign a VET pass-rushing OLB.  Draft a hard hitting safety in the second round, ILB in the 3rd. and a RB in the fourth

What? The poster you quoted said "That can only mean GREAT things for a 3rd-4th-5th round RB."  You say we have already have guys of that caliber.  Yet the only RB on the roster that fits into that category is Ballard.

the RBs currently on the roster:

Vick Ballard - 5th round pick but IRd last 2 years.  Who knows how he'll be upon his return

Ahmad Bradshaw - 7th round pick

Trent Richardson - 1st round pick

Zurlon Tipton - UDFA

Jeff Demps - UDFA

Boom Herron - 6th round pick

Michael Hill - UDFA

Do we need to draft another RB or would our RB's be fine if we had a better o-line?

I have heard some say the Defense is the biggest need area on this team.  But what makes your defense more effective is an unstoppable offense.  We can draft/sign all the defensive players you want.  If you offense can not move the ball down field and score 7's. Your number one defense will get tired, and bad things will happen.  This team has the QB, 1 WR in place now.  What would make this team unstoppable right now? 3 or maybe 4 players away.  I'm thinking a WR, Right side of the Offensive line, and a game breaking RB.  If Seattle does not want Marshawn Lynch the Colts should be the first in line.(You're building a monster you need a BEAST).  Sign a RT, and draft a WR first round.  As far as defense sign a VET pass-rushing OLB.  Draft a hard hitting safety in the second round, ILB in the 3rd. and a RB in the fourth

The colts offense is top 5 in many categories. While they need help in the run game, offense is hardly their biggest need.

Drafting solely for need severly limits who you choose come draft, Grigsons smarter then solely trying to fill a need in the draft thank god

There is a difference between drafting solely for need and taking value of the position (based on need) of the BPA into account when making a decision and maybe taking 2nd BPA. 

I don't believe in most cases the team's draft room view of BPA is the same as how most fans think of it, I think they usually see it as more of best small group of players with approximately the same value available; with the exception being occasionally when someone they had graded in a much higher group falls and then maybe becomes the "single" best player available. 

I also believe that while "drafting solely for need" is bad, that it is naive to believe that need does not play some part in most teams draft decision process. 

Man, please. Because our Running Backs are severly flawed. ALL OF THEM!

You say our O-line has been bad the last 3 years, answer this question.

When was the last time we had a running back who could start for anyone besides us?

Our running backs have been poo since Addai. It took a limping Ahmad Bradshaw to get any attention on the run game.

Id rather have a Great RB/Average-Above Average O-line as opposed to Great O-line/Average-Above Average RB

Thats like saying If we had a Great O-line you'd take Ryan Fitzpatrick as your QB opposed to our current QB/O-line.

Get Real.

That's a terrible comparison ... also you definitely take the Great OL and avg/above avg RB ... I can't believe that's even a question in your mind. 

Actually Nebraska's OL was an issue this last year.   Not "strong" ..   at the point of attack.    They got pushed around a lot.   That is one reason why I love AA.   He made it happen for the Huskers.         Nebraska QB's ran for their lives the last couple of years also....   OL is an area Riley really is looking to improve.   

And Dustin that is not "Kiper speak" ...   that is an opinion from a guy who watches EVERY Husker game I can , and it has been A lOT..   I love me some Buck''s, Huskers, and pretty much all BIG Teams..   I actually watch BIG games and don't rely on You Tube to try and see if  player has "an explosive first step, or enough wiggle in his hips, or VISION..."  hhehehehe  All that dribble is nonsense.    TV talk for NFL needy fans.     To make "wanna be scouts sound smart" .. .  hhehee  

I watch games and pop off with an opinion.      And I can say with all certainty AA would be a HUGE asset to the Colts.  

The question is ...   when and where does a team pull the trigger?   I want D with the first 2 picks as much as I want a RB.  

BUT...          who knows?

I would agree on him looking like Ahmad. He is a quicker version and definitely has the strength to bust tackles. But dear lord, look at their O-Line. We should draft that.

Actually Nebraska's OL was an issue this last year. Not "strong" .. at the point of attack. They got pushed around a lot. That is one reason why I love AA. He made it happen for the Huskers. Nebraska QB's ran for their lives the last couple of years also.... OL is an area Riley really is looking to improve.

And Dustin that is not "Kiper speak" ... that is an opinion from a guy who watches EVERY Husker game I can , and it has been A lOT.. I love me some Buck''s, Huskers, and pretty much all BIG Teams.. I actually watch BIG games and don't rely on You Tube to try and see if player has "an explosive first step, or enough wiggle in his hips, or VISION..." hhehehehe All that dribble is nonsense. TV talk for NFL needy fans. To make "wanna be scouts sound smart" .. . hhehee

I watch games and pop off with an opinion. And I can say with all certainty AA would be a HUGE asset to the Colts.

The question is ... when and where does a team pull the trigger? I want D with the first 2 picks as much as I want a RB.

BUT... who knows?

I love AA. I think pound for pound he's the best back in the draft. He'll be a good NFL RB. Coleman will not.

There is a difference between drafting solely for need and taking value of the position (based on need) of the BPA into account when making a decision and maybe taking 2nd BPA. 

I don't believe in most cases the team's draft room view of BPA is the same as how most fans think of it, I think they usually see it as more of best small group of players with approximately the same value available; with the exception being occasionally when someone they had graded in a much higher group falls and then maybe becomes the "single" best player available. 

I also believe that while "drafting solely for need" is bad, that it is naive to believe that need does not play some part in most teams draft decision process. 

"I also believe that while "drafting solely for need" is bad, that it is naive to believe that need does not play some part in most teams draft decision process. "

Of course need plays a part in it

I can buy that ..   But Coleman will play in the NFL.     And play well IMO.

AA, baring injury, will be in the NFL a long time.   He can do it ALL...   and do it very well.     

It's hard to disregard what TC has done all the while playing for the Hoosiers.      IMO it is VERY impressive.

I love AA. I think pound for pound he's the best back in the draft. He'll be a good NFL RB. Coleman will not.

Sometimes in the journey of a team NEED trumps all..      And Indy, IMO, is in that situation.   They have to get better on the EDGE getting after the QB.     IT has become a issue that is not avoidable any longer.   

I will be stunned IF Indy does not take a DE/OLB...    I don't care who is there.       out side of a STUD OT.

"I also believe that while "drafting solely for need" is bad, that it is naive to believe that need does not play some part in most teams draft decision process. "

Of course need plays a part in it

swing for the fences guys.  there are backs worthy of the 29th pick this year.  dont let TR keep us from making the move we need to make

jackson isnt going anywhere lol, his arrest is not a big deal

that said i will be happy if we can get a blue chip NT or pass rusher.  something does have to be done at RB still.

Jackson was cut from Cleveland.  Do we really think we're SB-bound with rejects from poor teams?  Jackson is not big enough to be a thumper and he's not great in coverage either.  We need an upgrade at ILB.

Sometimes in the journey of a team NEED trumps all..      And Indy, IMO, is in that situation.   They have to get better on the EDGE getting after the QB.     IT has become a issue that is not avoidable any longer.   

I will be stunned IF Indy does not take a DE/OLB...    I don't care who is there.       out side of a STUD OT.

If Beasley somehow/some way is there then I'd take him but that's a situation where needs meets talent

The colts offense is top 5 in many categories. While they need help in the run game, offense is hardly their biggest need.

Top 5 when the Colts are playing teams with losing records. But you can not tell me that was top 5 offense on the field of that beat down in New England. That Dallas game, that Pittsburgh game. They shut TY down, and the game was over. Luck had no one to hand the ball off to (T-Rich), top 5 right. Luck had no one to pass to (Reggie was hurt, and Nicks I still don't know what he was doing, but it was not getting open), top 5 right.  Luck had no one blocking for him (did you see how many times he was hit, pressured?). Remember the scores of those games. One thing is for sure every Colts fan could see there are some major problems with this team after the New England game.  Does this defense need help,YES LORD. But getting Luck 3 or 4 more weapons could really help the Colts Defense. You will play a team differently if you can not stop them

Top 5 when the Colts are playing teams with losing records. But you can not tell me that was top 5 offense on the field of that beat down in New England. That Dallas game, that Pittsburgh game. They shut TY down, and the game was over. Luck had no one to hand the ball off to (T-Rich), top 5 right. Luck had no one to pass to (Reggie was hurt, and Nicks I still don't know what he was doing, but it was not getting open), top 5 right.  Luck had no one blocking for him (did you see how many times he was hit, pressured?). Remember the scores of those games. One thing is for sure every Colts fan could see there are some major problems with this team after the New England game.  Does this defense need help,YES LORD. But getting Luck 3 or 4 more weapons could really help the Colts Defense. You will play a team differently if you can not stop them

I get what you are saying, it I don't think the offense needs that much help. Simply fixing the right side of the line and get the run game going would do wonders.

Lol sorry but with all the injuries at rb the past 2 years, I wouldnt give bradshaw or ballard another chance.

Don't think Ballard is getting cut so he should be on the 90 man roster.

With my guess with Ingram, Drafted RB, Herron, and Ballard in training camp is alright with me

I never said Addai was any good, i just gave him the benefit of being a 1,000 yard rusher/Superbowl runner. As for Bradshaw, what good does he do if he's always on IR?

I dont deny the importance of a Great O-Line but you've got to have skill players who can make plays. We do not have a playmaking runner on our roster. Haven't for a while now. 2 on IR, 1 who's confidence is shot to hades, and two no bodies who looked decent because there werent any other options. Why do you think the Colts went after Ben Tate, another walking wounded player.

Our back field reminds me of that Geico commercial with Pinocchio as a motivational speaker. "You have potential....(Nose grows longer)"

As for Luck compared to Rodgers and Brady.....

The most sacks Luck's ever taken was 41 as a rookie in BA's system (Same as Brady) and his sack numbers have gone down each season.

Rodgers has been sacked 50 times twice in his career. And we know Peyton doesnt take sacks soo..... That goes to show that it isnt ALL about the O-line. Play calling, decision making by the QB and the ability to get open are all critical components to a passing game, not just blocking. Big Ben gets more time in the pocket than anyone and nothing about his O-line is Elite but he has a respected running game because his running back has to be accounted for.

The 49ers, Cowboys and Pats Dynasties had HOF'ers everywhere, Not just O-Line. All had Great Defenses, Exellent QB Play and Playmakers on offense, save for the Pats aside from Corey Dillon who was a beast of a runner.

The Pats and Broncos don't have Elite running backs now but they have arguably the greatest QB's to ever play the game and both teams have made conscious efforts to address the position. Aside from the Trent gamble, we have made no Investment into the stability of our backfield. We have, however, addressed O-line through the Draft and FA

With all the questions that our O-line may have, its still farther along than our talent at Running Back. There's no two ways about it. That real enough for you, Mr. "Critical Thinker"?

PS, I love you too Colts Fan.

Sorry, I must've misunderstood your standpoint on Addai.  He was okay, but nothing special, IMO.  Bradshaw is good but for only useful for half the season, because he is always hurt.  I don't think you really should keep players like that around. 

One thing about a RB, you can't expect them to be good w/o a performing OL.  It's unreal expectations!  Boom did about as good as any RB could with a line like that.

I love the Geico analogy lol.  It's only half true tho, considering you cant make that statement until step 1 (fixing the OL) is completed. 

One big reason those QB's mentioned gets sacked often is because they throw the ball alot and hold onto the football (besides Peyton), looking for big plays.  Brady don't do it too often, but the years he has a good OL, he doesn't get much pressure within the first 4-5 seconds.

About the dynasties, a team doesn't get there by being a good team in one or two areas, they must be a complete and balanced team.  Speaking only about offense, can be successful by running or passing.  It takes a great OL to be successful at both.  Can't say that 100% about the QB and RB in regards to the opposite.  EX:  The RB only has minimal impact most passing attacks, conversely, the QB has minimal impact on most rushing attacks.  There are obvious exceptions to teams with good RB blockers and receiving out of the backfield and QB's that are good scramblers though. 

But yes, I love the critical thinking in that post... 

I'd say both, but I wouldn't draft a RB in rounds 1 or 2.

thats the only way we will find one thats better than the back up type guys that we have now.  im a fan of herron but hes not a starter.  TR and bradshaw need to go.  ballard and tipton can fight for third string.  we cant just add a third or forth round pick to that group and expect it to be good enough.

we arnt the patriots.  it is easier to find a good RB than it is to build a great Oline.  if our line could simply be average that would be enough.

thats the only way we will find one thats better than the back up type guys that we have now. im a fan of herron but hes not a starter. TR and bradshaw need to go. ballard and tipton can fight for third string. we cant just add a third or forth round pick to that group and expect it to be good enough.

we arnt the patriots. it is easier to find a good RB than it is to build a great Oline. if our line could simply be average that would be enough.

You can find quality backs in rounds 3 through 5.

You can find quality backs in rounds 3 through 5.

you can find backUPS in those rounds.

i would be ok with AA but he wont be there in the third.  waiting any longer than that is gambling the season on if we can find a starter with a late round pick

you can find backUPS in those rounds.

i would be ok with AA but he wont be there in the third.  waiting any longer than that is gambling the season on if we can find a starter with a late round pick

Alfred Morris

Ahmad Bradshaw

Vick Ballard

Arian Foster

Just a few starting caliber RBs off the top of my head that were found in later rounds.  You CAN find starting quality RBs in rounds 3-5...even later. 

Jackson was cut from Cleveland.  Do we really think we're SB-bound with rejects from poor teams?  Jackson is not big enough to be a thumper and he's not great in coverage either.  We need an upgrade at ILB.

jackson was a pro bowler. he was the only defender that made a play in the patriots game.  he also lead the team in tackles. we do need a thumper, but we need it at NT and safety.  NT is the hardest position to fill other than QB

also he was not cut.  jackson was a FA that wanted to sign with the colts.  cleveland made him an offer

jackson was a pro bowler. he was the only defender that made a play in the patriots game.  he also lead the team in tackles. we do need a thumper, but we need it at NT, which is the hardest positon to fill other than QB

also he was not cut.  jackson was a FA that wanted to sign with the colts.  cleveland made him an offer

Google is your friend.  Jackson WAS cut by Cleveland on Feb 26, 2014.  That's why he was able to visit with teams and sign a contract before the official free agency period started.

Also, while we could find an upgrade at NT, Chapman was hardly the problem this year.  No, he didn't play well against NE but neither did anyone else in the front 7.  Chapman did play well (especially considering it was his first year as a full time starter) the rest of the year.  Just because Jackson made the pro bowl doesn't necessarily mean he's the best fit at MLB for the Colts defense.  Aside from that, he's also on the wrong side of 30 so he's just a 1 or 2 year stop-gap anyway.  I'd MUCH rather upgrade ILB than NT at this time.

Alfred Morris

Ahmad Bradshaw

Vick Ballard

Arian Foster

Just a few starting caliber RBs off the top of my head that were found in later rounds.  You CAN find starting quality RBs in rounds 3-5...even later. 

you can find them if you get lucky.  i dont want to gamble like that.  there are guys easily worth a first or second round pick this year.  are you saying levon bell would not have been worth drafting high?

i dont consider ballard a starter either.  hes decent but not good enough to be #1.  i am a fan of bradshaw but hes to injury prone to count on anymore, the running game has gone to crap every time he landed on IR.

Google is your friend.  Jackson WAS cut by Cleveland on Feb 26, 2014.  That's why he was able to visit with teams and sign a contract before the official free agency period started.

my mistake.  i thought i heard somewhere that cleveland made him an offer to come back though.  i still agree with the probowl voters that jackson is fine and there are bigger problems on D.

edit-  they did not make him an offer sorry.  jackson is one of the better coverage ILBs thats why he made the pro bowl

you can find them if you get lucky.  i dont want to gamble like that.  there are guys easily worth a first or second round pick this year.  are you saying levon bell would not have been worth drafting high?

i dont consider ballard a starter either.  hes decent but not good enough to be #1.  i am a fan of bradshaw but hes to injury prone to count on anymore, the running game has gone to crap every time he landed on IR.

I would not have drafted Laveon Bell in the first or second round.  I didn't list Ballard and Bradshaw to say that we have 2 quality RBs and we don't need anymore.  I used them as examples of RBs that were drafted in the mid to late rounds that are good RBs. 

I would be more than happy with 2 or 3 Ballard-level RBs so long as we have a competent run blocking OL.  I wouldn't spend a top pick (rounds 1 or 2) on a RB until we get the OL where it needs to be.  There's no guarantee Laveon Bell would have had the same success here in Indy as he did in Pitt.

there is no guarantee that drafted line men will have success either.  bradshaw did fine with the line we have until he got hurt.  herron was ok as well with that line.  neither is really a starter though, one cant stay healthy and the other fumbles too much and is probably best suited to be a third down back

I would be ok with this. A better defense means more opportunities to produce on offense. That can only mean GREAT things for a 3rd-4th-5th round RB.

Same here. A better OL would help tremendously as well. I hope we draft both sides of the line 1st & 2nd round.....As long as it's not a reach and close to BPA. Ballard was 5th round (if I'm wrong my bad) so talent is there in the later rounds for a rb.