Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvin or Tim Brown for the Hall?

oldunclemark

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it.

I thought he'd get in last year and when he didn't I thought for sure this year.

He should be there.  Period.

It's the way it works for some reason.  They give credit for time served waiting.

Marvin Harrison has to wait on Tim Brown who had to wait on Andre Reed who had to wait on Cris Carter. 

It's the way it works for some reason.  They give credit for time served waiting.

Marvin Harrison has to wait on Tim Brown who had to wait on Andre Reed who had to wait on Cris Carter. 

I get what you're saying.   I'm just disappointed he's not going in this year.  He certainly deserves it.

Agreed.  Not sure if Dungy ever makes it in, but it would be nice to consolidate the trip over with him and Marv.

:D

I think Dungy is pretty doubtful.  Next year I expect Favre, Warner, Harrison, Greene, and Pace among recent retirees and possibly Herschel Walker and LC Greenwood among the older ones.

I think Dungy is pretty doubtful.  Next year I expect Favre, Warner, Harrison, Greene, and Pace among recent retirees and possibly Herschel Walker and LC Greenwood among the older ones.

That would be a special group if you're correct.

I think Dungy is pretty doubtful. Next year I expect Favre, Warner, Harrison, Greene, and Pace among recent retirees and possibly Herschel Walker and LC Greenwood among the older ones.

Terrell Owens is eligible to be inducted next year. I think he is a lock for the HOF but the voters may not vote for him in his first year of eligibility. Who do you think goes first, Marvin or Owens?

This is a pretty bad class IMO. Lots of bad choices. Obviously Marvin goes in before Tim Brown, don't care how long Tim Brown has been waiting. Terrell Davis and Jerome Bettis is kinda a wash, but I believe Davis was a better player with a 2,000 yard rushing season, 2 super bowls and a super bowl MVP. Dungy I thought would get in this year, especially based on being the African-American coach to win a Super Bowl. Because of that accomplishment, I think the committee has to put him in within the next few years. The thing that also annoyed me, and it may catch me some flack on here, but whatever, is how Junior Seau made it over Kurt Warner. Yes, I know Seau is a 12 time pro bowler and all that, but I believe a major reason Seau is a first ballot hall of famer is because of the circumstances involving his death. I believe if he was alive today, someone like Warner or Pace would of made it in instead and Seau would have made it in in a year or two. He absolutely deserves to be in the hall of fame, but I feel the committee put him in there quick to avoid backlash. Before you flame me, this is just what I think, and I realize I can't prove it, but it seems like they were a bit biased this year on Seau.

Overall not too happy and was up all night thinking about it. Congrats to these guys as they are all worthy, hopefully some guys who were passed over and snubbed make it next year.

This is a pretty bad class IMO. Lots of bad choices. Obviously Marvin goes in before Tim Brown, don't care how long Tim Brown has been waiting. Terrell Davis and Jerome Bettis is kinda a wash, but I believe Davis was a better player with a 2,000 yard rushing season, 2 super bowls and a super bowl MVP. Dungy I thought would get in this year, especially based on being the African-American coach to win a Super Bowl. Because of that accomplishment, I think the committee has to put him in within the next few years. The thing that also annoyed me, and it may catch me some flack on here, but whatever, is how Junior Seau made it over Kurt Warner. Yes, I know Seau is a 12 time pro bowler and all that, but I believe a major reason Seau is a first ballot hall of famer is because of the circumstances involving his death. I believe if he was alive today, someone like Warner or Pace would of made it in instead and Seau would have made it in in a year or two. He absolutely deserves to be in the hall of fame, but I feel the committee put him in there quick to avoid backlash. Before you flame me, this is just what I think, and I realize I can't prove it, but it seems like they were a bit biased this year on Seau.

Overall not too happy and was up all night thinking about it. Congrats to these guys as they are all worthy, hopefully some guys who were passed over and snubbed make it next year.

Seau was a media unanimous first ballot hall of famer every time he retired ("graduated"). He was a lock regardless.

Of all the finalists, Seau was most deserving. He was one of the most dominant football players of his era, IMO.

Harrison will make it for sure. I hope Dungy will make it one day but getting 80% of the vote will be difficult.

Of all the finalists, Seau was most deserving. He was one of the most dominant football players of his era, IMO.

Harrison will make it for sure. I hope Dungy will make it one day but getting 80% of the vote will be difficult.

I'm going to watch some Junior Seau highlights to see why he was put in the HOF. I believe Harrison will make it, it's just that it's going to take another year and that will seem like an eternity. Dungy will get in because of what his accomplishment was (the first African-American coach to win a SB). If he doesn't, there will be political outcry. 

Oh Gramz, quit liking everyone else's comments, you're making me feel horrible!  :thmup:

Marvin will be a lock next year, I heard something that this was Browns 6th year on the ballot or something vs Marvins 2nd. Dungy may have to wait another year after next year when Marvin gets in.

If it's a 4 year gap, then that makes me feel a bit better. Marvin should easily make it in then. Dungy will be fine as well.

I'm going to watch some Junior Seau highlights to see why he was put in the HOF. I believe Harrison will make it, it's just that it's going to take another year and that will seem like an eternity. Dungy will get in because of what his accomplishment was (the first African-American coach to win a SB). If he doesn't, there will be political outcry. 

Oh Gramz, quit liking everyone else's comments, you're making me feel horrible!  :thmup:

:P.

Was Bettis really that good?  I don't remember him as a HOF type RB - just a work horse.... IMO a popularity vote based off his media job - same as when Chris Carter got in!

IMO Harrison was snubbed because of his off field issues.

Polian is very deserving of this induction ...

IMO Dungy never did enough to get in - when he makes it and he probably will -  it will be another popularity thing!

Oh Gramz, quit liking everyone else's comments, you're making me feel horrible! :thmup:

Ok, let us know what you think after watching Seau's highlights. He was truly great.

I hope you are right about Dungy but his being African-American should not come into play. His coaching record should speak for itself. He was a very good coach and an ambassador for the sport. He may not have won the SB with Tampa but he took over a perennial loser (Tampa, not Indy) and made them respectable. He had only one losing season in his entire head coaching career (his 1st year as coach). His win-loss record is 139-69. He and Belichick were named the coaches on the All 2000 team. [i am not being a homer; I am not a Colts, Bucs or Steelers fan (Dungy played for the Steelers)]

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8161b0e9/article/league-announces-2000s-nfl-alldecade-team

I've read and please not that I said "read" and not noticed as I don't follow the voting that closely .. that the voters give extra consideration to players with long careers. MH played 13 years and TB played 17 years. I think that actually  makes for a better case for Harrison as it makes his stats even that much more impressive than Brown's. No doubt they make players wait their turn as you say , I was just throwing this in as I read it. I guess we should also give a little credit that Brown was also a good returner for much of his career .

I think it was Brown, and I think it was a no brainer. We all love Marv, but he was never gonna be a first or 2nd ballot guy. He had some amazing years but he has an awful lot working against him.....He wasn't vocal, he was washed up at age 34, his playoff performances were abysmal, he had Peyton as his QB, and he played in a friendlier era for about half his career.

Brown is 5th/6th/7th in the major rec. categories, and Marvin is 3rd/7th/5th......Brown has waited his turn, and now Marvin will too. 

Im curious to see if the same people who have been upset with Marv not making it in quickly, will feel the same way if TO is held out as well, seeing as how his career was better. TO currently ranks 6th/2nd/3rd in the major categories, in much worse circumstances. 

I think it was Brown, and I think it was a no brainer. We all love Marv, but he was never gonna be a first or 2nd ballot guy. He had some amazing years but he has an awful lot working against him.....He wasn't vocal, he was washed up at age 34, his playoff performances were abysmal, he had Peyton as his QB, and he played in a friendlier era for about half his career.

Brown is 5th/6th/7th in the major rec. categories, and Marvin is 3rd/7th/5th......Brown has waited his turn, and now Marvin will too. 

Im curious to see if the same people who have been upset with Marv not making it in quickly, will feel the same way if TO is held out as well, seeing as how his career was better. TO currently ranks 6th/2nd/3rd in the major categories, in much worse circumstances. 

Marvin reached those numbers in 65 less games than Brown.

Ok, let us know what you think after watching Seau's highlights. He was truly great.

I hope you are right about Dungy but his being African-American should not come into play. His coaching record should speak for itself. He was a very good coach and an ambassador for the sport. He may not have won the SB with Tampa but he took over a perennial loser (Tampa, not Indy) and made them respectable. He had only one losing season in his entire head coaching career (his 1st year as coach). His win-loss record is 139-69. He and Belichick were named the coaches on the All 2000 team. [i am not being a homer; I am not a Colts, Bucs or Steelers fan (Dungy played for the Steelers)]

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8161b0e9/article/league-announces-2000s-nfl-alldecade-team

Yeah, I checked out Seau, he was the real deal. Extremely fast, able to get to the qb quick, hard and solid tackler. Seemed like a very complete player. Wish I could of seen more of him when he played in the NFL. I knew he was very good, didn't realize he was that good.

Marvin reached those numbers in 65 less games than Brown.

Is that a good our a bad thing? Is it more amazing that Marvin accomplished his in less time, or that Brown played longer?

As a Colts fan, all things considered, Browns career is much more impressive to me, and apparently the voters feel the same way. Not a knock, or slight on Marv, and it will never take away the amazing career he had. 

Is that a good our a bad thing? Is it more amazing that Marvin accomplished his in less time, or that Brown played longer?

As a Colts fan, all things considered, Browns career is much more impressive to me, and apparently the voters feel the same way. Not a knock, or slight on Marv, and it will never take away the amazing career he had. 

Actually, it took Brown 6 years to make the hall of fame and this was Marv's 2nd try, I think Marv could easily get in quicker than Brown.

Terrell Owens is eligible to be inducted next year. I think he is a lock for the HOF but the voters may not vote for him in his first year of eligibility. Who do you think goes first, Marvin or Owens?

Harrison.  Like I said before, I think they will clear the receiver logjam in order of retirement.

Harrison. Like I said before, I think they will clear the receiver logjam in order of retirement.

I hear you, but that should not apply to Randy Moss. He should be a first ballot Hall of Famer in 2018. He should not have to wait for other receivers who retired before him (Owens, Holt, Bruce, Hines Ward, etc.).

I would say Marvin's stats are more impressive, just because you play longer does not mean you are better. Many voters have stated that they feel Marvin was the better receiver but that Brown had waited longer. Essentially, Brown was not better it was just his turn.

Which is why I said settle down Colts fans. Marvin is as good as in.

Well ya, but how do you pick a guy who is atleast 7 places behind in the record books to go in first just because he's been waiting longer. Seems a no brainer to me to pick the best to go in.

Well ya, but how do you pick a guy who is atleast 7 places behind in the record books to go in first just because he's been waiting longer. Seems a no brainer to me to pick the best to go in.

Because he did with guys who weren't fit to wash Peyton's jockstrap, let alone play quarterback on his level. He was also a good special teams player and he had very good postprime unlike many WRs.

Because he did with guys who weren't fit to wash Peyton's jockstrap, let alone play quarterback on his level. He was also a good special teams player and he had very good postprime unlike many WRs.

So did harrison. And you can't use qb play in these instances or many people would have not made the hall and qbs wouldn't make the hall cause you'd have to say that they did it with great receivers.

So did harrison. And you can't use qb play in these instances or many people would have not made the hall and qbs wouldn't make the hall cause you'd have to say that they did it with great receivers.

Not like Brown and Rice did. And if you're going to dissect the minutiae of who goes in when, when they both go in anyway, then it's fair to compare the fact that Harrison played with Peyton Manning while Brown played with Steve Beuerlein and Jay Schroeder.

Not like Brown and Rice did. And if you're going to dissect the minutiae of who goes in when, when they both go in anyway, then it's fair to compare the fact that Harrison played with Peyton Manning while Brown played with Steve Beuerlein and Jay Schroeder.

I'm saying you can't compare who they played with. Rice is in but he played with two of the greatest qb's. But how long did he wait? He didn't, he was a first Ballot. If we go by that argument then he shouldn't have. That's why I'm saying you can't look at that. You have to go by the numbers. Harrison was a better player.

I'm saying you can't compare who they played with. Rice is in but he played with two of the greatest qb's. But how long did he wait? He didn't, he was a first Ballot. If we go by that argument then he shouldn't have. That's why I'm saying you can't look at that. You have to go by the numbers. Harrison was a better player.

If you're going to compare how long it took 1 guy vs another guy to go into the HoF when they both will be in anyway, then you can compare who they played with and such. Rice was usually the best player on the 49ers teams, if not always. Then postprime Rice and postprime Brown took the Raiders to a Superbowl with 1 of the most overrated quarterbacks of all time imo. I think I even read the other day that Tim Brown is the oldest guy to score a touchdown who wasn't a quarterback lol!