Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gary Kubiak is the new Broncos coach

oldunclemark

Sunday night reports say he has agreed to a 4-year deal..

Rick Dennison will be the offensive coordinator.

Both Kubiak and Dennison played for Denver and both previously coached in Denver and Houston.

....It seems likely that Peyton Manning will want to play for Kubiak since he reportedly considered

Houston in 2012..

Elway and Kubiak have been friends for 20 years (Kubiak was Elway's backup QB for 9 years) so its safe to say that if Elway wants Manning back...Kubiak does, too.

This move will be very popular in Denver...these are all ex-Bronco players

Kubiak's offense relies on a mobile QB.  He loves the play action rollouts.  It's gonna take a lot for a 39 year old Peyton to do that for 16 games

Kubiak will adjust to Manning....I'm assuming he took the job knowing that he would and could.

I doubt Kubiak will want Manning to play under center and roll out more than he'll want to win..

Another Ravens co ordinator gone. Gary did a great job, and I'm happy for him, but he's heading to a graveyard, and I don't see good things happening there long term.

He's going home....and Denver's going to be very strong next season...

..the long term future has a way of working itself out

He's going home....and Denver's going to be very strong next season...

..the long term future has a way of working itself out

Maybe one more season, but I just don't feel it after that. I know Peyton was injured , but teams will be jamming up his receivers short , and he just seems to be floating balls. This team reminds me of the George Allen Over the Hill Gang teams of the early 1970's.

Another Ravens co ordinator gone. Gary did a great job, and I'm happy for him, but he's heading to a graveyard, and I don't see good things happening there long term.

Guess when you get a HC offer you take it. But Ravens are in a much better situation for sure. Who are the Ravens looking at to fill his spot?

That is tough. Who are the two coaches? Qb coach I assume?

Dennison and Pariani. These were two guys that came in with him, and are heading out. Spagnola is also leaving to be DC of the Giants. Like Jim Caldwell , if you want to resurrect your coaching career, come to the Ravens as an assistant coach. Pagano , Lewis, Ryan, Nolan , Del Rio, Caldwell , Kubiak , and so on. It's tough replacing coaches every year.

Maybe one more season, but I just don't feel it after that. I know Peyton was injured , but teams will be jamming up his receivers short , and he just seems to be floating balls. This team reminds me of the George Allen Over the Hill Gang teams of the early 1970's.

....Peyton was fine and effective until he got hurt..

...Teams should take things one year at a time...They were jamming Denver recivers in 2013, too..

Broncos are not an old team other than Peyton..the long term future will take care of itself.

Got to go for it when you have a chance

Good for Kubiak, but I don't see this working out.

If 'working out' is winning the Super Bowl......they do have a hill to climb...

But this is a long time Denver guy....working with a long time Denver guy (Dennison) and working for a Denver icon (Elway)

Its a very popular move.....and its ironic that, after years of facing Peyton Manning...that Kubiak gets to coach him

No one in Baltimore is unhappy for Gary, but I guess what I was trying to say was he had a great thing going in Baltimore, and he's going to a team that may be heavily rebuilding after one year, with Peyton somewhat uncertain. I understand the allure of a HC situation in Denver, but he may have wanted to stay another year or two in Baltimore, than go to another HC opportunity. The pressure will be brutal on him to win there.

True..OC....(incidentally, you are the real OC!)

Leaving aside whether Denver is rebuilding....I think that some guys who are ex-head coaches say they'll never go back to that overheated position unless they get their dream job...and then Kubiak got a shot at his dream job.

This was probably his only chance to coach the Broncos....a team he played and coached what? ....for almost 2 decades..

The pressure is brutal on NFL head coaches anywhere..so if you want it a second time its got to be your dream job.

I agree...he had a great thing going in Baltimore but it wasnt Denver..

I cant swear to this but I'd bet Elway wanted to hire Kubiak 4 years ago when he hired John Fox.

The 2 of them certainly have talked about this moment for years...Kubiak simply had to take this job

True..OC....(incidentally, you are the real OC!)

Leaving aside whether Denver is rebuilding....I think that some guys who are ex-head coaches say they'll never go back to that overheated position unless they get their dream job...and then Kubiak got a shot at his dream job.

This was probably his only chance to coach the Broncos....a team he played and coached what? ....for almost 2 decades..

The pressure is brutal on NFL head coaches anywhere..so if you want it a second time its got to be your dream job.

I agree...he had a great thing going in Baltimore but it wasnt Denver..

I cant swear to this but I'd bet Elway wanted to hire Kubiak 4 years ago when he hired John Fox.

The 2 of them certainly have talked about this moment for years...Kubiak simply had to take this job

I think everyone understands the opportunity for Gary, particularly Harbaugh. I think everyone gets it , but it's not going to be easy for him out there. Flacco worked very well in his offense, while Peyton runs his own offense. Elway and Manning are under tremendous pressure to win, and that will stoke up the pressure on Gary. I know it's his dream job, but is the timing right ?

If 'working out' is winning the Super Bowl......they do have a hill to climb...

But this is a long time Denver guy....working with a long time Denver guy (Dennison) and working for a Denver icon (Elway)

Its a very popular move.....and its ironic that, after years of facing Peyton Manning...that Kubiak gets to coach him

Sure they are all buddy-buddy and it is fun to work in that kind of environment, but the Broncos want to win. I don't know how well Manning/Anderson fit into the new offense, combined with the usual predictability of Kubiak's playcalls, something which will not help Manning whatsoever....I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last nail in the coffin for Manning deciding to retire. I wonder if they can prove me wrong.

No one in Baltimore is unhappy for Gary, but I guess what I was trying to say was he had a great thing going in Baltimore, and he's going to a team that may be heavily rebuilding after one year, with Peyton somewhat uncertain. I understand the allure of a HC situation in Denver, but he may have wanted to stay another year or two in Baltimore, than go to another HC opportunity. The pressure will be brutal on him to win there.

Yes...but as a TRUE competitor...do you want anything else??? Some people struggle with the pressure...some excel....not saying Kubiak will but he has a very young talented team there. Peyton and Ware aside that is a very nice mix of young experienced players there...and possibly a talented qb waiting in the wings?/doubtful but we dont know. They have a nice mixture of backs and showed late in the season that they could run the ball. Honestly I think this spells the end of Julius Thomas in Denver more than Peyton. I think you keep Green and his blocking (he is still a nice athletic te and catches well). Just because Peyton likely can't run the bootleg doesn't mean they still cant run a zone blocking running game. We all know to win it all they are going to have to run the ball (look at the two teams in the SB). You aren't beating those teams throwing into the teeth of that defense and winning consistantly so this could be a good fit.

I agree its been rough with losing your cordinators but when you hire semi-successful HCs that get fired after having been to playoffs previously but having those 1 yr franchise blowups to be your OC your probably got to know if they are successful in Baltimore they are going to get offers...if you want someone to stay you hire the young up and comers. Good organizations etc like the Pats and you guys seem to do well replacing your losses though....you have a good culture around your organization so I think you guys will be good...plus a good qb.

Yes...but as a TRUE competitor...do you want anything else??? Some people struggle with the pressure...some excel....not saying Kubiak will but he has a very young talented team there. Peyton and Ware aside that is a very nice mix of young experienced players there...and possibly a talented qb waiting in the wings?/doubtful but we dont know. They have a nice mixture of backs and showed late in the season that they could run the ball. Honestly I think this spells the end of Julius Thomas in Denver more than Peyton. I think you keep Green and his blocking (he is still a nice athletic te and catches well). Just because Peyton likely can't run the bootleg doesn't mean they still cant run a zone blocking running game. We all know to win it all they are going to have to run the ball (look at the two teams in the SB). You aren't beating those teams throwing into the teeth of that defense and winning consistantly so this could be a good fit.

I agree its been rough with losing your cordinators but when you hire semi-successful HCs that get fired after having been to playoffs previously but having those 1 yr franchise blowups to be your OC your probably got to know if they are successful in Baltimore they are going to get offers...if you want someone to stay you hire the young up and comers. Good organizations etc like the Pats and you guys seem to do well replacing your losses though....you have a good culture around your organization so I think you guys will be good...plus a good qb.

The Ravens just hired Marc Trestman as OC. I'm sure he will get a new head coaching position the following year ! We are the team that rehabilitates and gives fired coaches new opportunities as our coordinators. Honestly though, Gary did a nice job and deserves his chance.

The Ravens just hired Marc Trestman as OC. I'm sure he will get a new head coaching position the following year ! We are the team that rehabilitates and gives fired coaches new opportunities as our coordinators. Honestly though, Gary did a nice job and deserves his chance.

Uhh...no way Trestman gets another job....that disaster in Chicago.....no way...he was a long shot to get that job and his rep is ruined now. Hopefully though he will continue to do a good job with your team though. I like a lot of you squad.

Uhh...no way Trestman gets another job....that disaster in Chicago.....no way...he was a long shot to get that job and his rep is ruined now. Hopefully though he will continue to do a good job with your team though. I like a lot of you squad.

He's definitely toast for the short term, but if he has success after 2-3 years, maybe people start to think it was Cutler, and give him another chance. It's a shame for us about Kubiak, and another reason to not like Elway in Baltimore. That being said, no one is mad at Gary for going for his dream job. 

He's definitely toast for the short term, but if he has success after 2-3 years, maybe people start to think it was Cutler, and give him another chance. It's a shame for us about Kubiak, and another reason to not like Elway in Baltimore. That being said, no one is mad at Gary for going for his dream job. 

Cutler wasn't calling pass play after pass play, when the team has a top five running back on the roster. Yeah, Cutler is a big part of the problem, but Trestman is the one who kept trying to get a broken yo-yo to work.

I do think if he does a good job for a while, he'll get another crack at it. The NFL seems to love retread coaches; Norv Turner, for instance, or Jim Caldwell. But not anytime soon.

Cutler wasn't calling pass play after pass play, when the team has a top five running back on the roster. Yeah, Cutler is a big part of the problem, but Trestman is the one who kept trying to get a broken yo-yo to work.

I do think if he does a good job for a while, he'll get another crack at it. The NFL seems to love retread coaches; Norv Turner, for instance, or Jim Caldwell. But not anytime soon.

Agreed. I'm a bit nervous about the hire, I really wanted Kubiak to stay. Hopefully it will work out for us. 

That was a big point of debate up here..

Matt Forte just wasn't used in some games...that were winnable..and I think it demoralized the offense

..plus the wide receiver screens got old. I think Jay lost faith in the play calling and he is moody...

Folks on this board may recall that I'm no fan of Cutler but I think Jay could rebound under Fox and Gase. I really do,

Fox wants to run the ball..he's coming in saying that...and Jay could gain more [passing yards with fewer attempts

Sure they are all buddy-buddy and it is fun to work in that kind of environment, but the Broncos want to win. I don't know how well Manning/Anderson fit into the new offense, combined with the usual predictability of Kubiak's playcalls, something which will not help Manning whatsoever....I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last nail in the coffin for Manning deciding to retire. I wonder if they can prove me wrong.

There's no chance that Kubiak will call plays Manning isn't allowed to audible out of...

....but Denver's linemen are already saying how much they look forward to the zone blocking scheme.

Ryan Clady says that was what he was drafted to do..and then the coach changed.

Kubiak has faced Manning for years..He knows exactly what he can and cant do...

There's no chance that Kubiak will call plays Manning isn't allowed to audible out of...

....but Denver's linemen are already saying how much they look forward to the zone blocking scheme.

Ryan Clady says that was what he was drafted to do..and then the coach changed.

Kubiak has faced Manning for years..He knows exactly what he can and cant do...

True. But he is going to have to make quite a few changes to his offense for Manning.

True. But he is going to have to make quite a few changes to his offense for Manning.

That's assuming that he (kubiak) only has one offense....

He's coached for decades..he has run many variations..

Why wouldn't he do exactly what Manning does best ..he has so much first hand knowledge of what that is

That's assuming that he (kubiak) only has one offense....

He's coached for decades..he has run many variations..

Why wouldn't he do exactly what Manning does best ..he has so much first hand knowledge of what that is

He coached against Manning (as an offensive coach, at that), he never actually worked with him. But I guess we will see if they can come up with something that works well for both of them and the Broncos.