Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts working on Luck's contract already

snkdy

Anyone saying that Luck or any player should take less money "for the betterment of the team" are out of their mind. Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Flacco, Ryan, Cutler, and Stafford have all broken the bank with huge contracts. It's the way the NFL works. The next top tier QB to get paid is usually the highest paid ever or close to it because if it wasn't that way then salaries would never go up. Luck will be the highest paid player ever for about a year or two until the next guy is up for a new contract. He deserves every penny because of what he is going to do over the next several years, not because of what he has already done. Anyone saying he doesn't deserve it because he hasn't won a Super Bowl is just stupid.

It shouldn't be the richest deal if they lose this game today.

You're right, they should just let him leave in free agency. When you draft Luck, you only hope that he will turn out good enough to be the highest paid player in NFL history. If they weren't prepared to do this then they should've traded the top pick in 2012 and drafted a QB later in the draft

If somehow you're under the impressions that Wilson isn't really, really,  really good,  then I think you're badly mistaken.

He may not be as good as Andrew Luck,  and he clearly benefits from having the NFL's best defense and a great running game,  but he's an outstanding quarterback.    

If the Cowas lts didn't have Luck,  I'd be thrilled if we had a QB like Wilson.      He's a terrific player.

Never was under the impression he was not a good QB and yes if we did not have Luck I would   love to have him and his D and RB something Luck does not have :thmup:  

Why? You should be happy we have a franchise QB. I'm sure the cap will raise enough to keep us competitive, and Lucks new deal woukdnt start until after next season.

Exactly. What do people expect? Draft Luck, hope to win a Super Bowl while he is on his rookie contract and then let him go and start over? Having a QB worth $25 million a year is a good thing.

Exactly. What do people expect? Draft Luck, hope to win a Super Bowl while he is on his rookie contract and then let him go and start over? Having a QB worth $25 million a year is a good thing.

Pay Luck. Cut back on the huge free agent spendings.. And focus more on the draft. The Patriots and Packers QB's are making good money and they're still competitive every year.

Pay Luck. Cut back on the huge free agent spendings.. And focus more on the draft. The Patriots and Packers QB's are making good money and they're still competitive every year.

Maybe our fans would rather Luck had underachieved in his first 3 years and not make the playoff so we wouldn't have to pay him as much.

Luck needs to take less after the way we got our teeth kicked in by the pats. I wouldn't want to take 25 per year if it meant I didn't have enough playmakers around me to help win a super bowl. Use some of that money to get receivers that can catch and a defense that can stop the run.

Luck needs to take less after the way we got our teeth kicked in by the pats. I wouldn't want to take 25 per year if it meant I didn't have enough playmakers around me to help win a super bowl. Use some of that money to get receivers that can catch and a defense that can stop the run.

IMO Luck can have a big contract without hurting cap too much, other teams have also managed it...I hate to say it, but blueprint is NE. they gave big contract to Brady still they could build talent around him. And it is working. this situation will show what Grigs worth as GM.

Why? You should be happy we have a franchise QB. I'm sure the cap will raise enough to keep us competitive, and Lucks new deal woukdnt start until after next season.

having a franchise qb is useless when you get blown out by the pats every time. Four times the pats have owned and this time was even worse than the past three. You can't win with a qb alone.

IMO Luck can have a big contract without hurting cap too much, other teams have also managed it...I hate to say it, but blueprint is NE. they gave big contract to Brady still they could build talent around him. And it is working. this situation will show what Grigs worth as GM.

pats have superior coaching. even win they lose half their team to injury they still win. I bet BB could win 11 games with curtis painter under center

pats have superior coaching. even win they lose half their team to injury they still win. I bet BB could win 11 games with curtis painter under center

I don't think BB would win 11 games with Painter, however I do think he is one of best coaches in the game. 10+ years experience gives him an edge over our coaches. They've put talent around Brady and their offense is multiple-dimensional. Still they'll need another franchise QB in like 3 years.

i'm afraid it might take a few more wasted years of luck's career before it becomes obvious to irsay he is worthless..

last night's game got me thinking how similar our current situation with the patriots is to the one colts and peyton had in the early 2000's.. how many tries did it take to get a first win?

and the game itself was like a bad deja-vu of the last 3 games against the pats, only worse..

i'm afraid it might take a few more wasted years of luck's career before it becomes obvious to irsay he is worthless..

last night's game got me thinking how similar our current situation with the patriots is to the one colts and peyton had in the early 2000's.. how many tries did it take to get a first win?

and the game itself was like a bad deja-vu of the last 3 games against the pats, only worse..

Our situation is bad, because this a brand new team, only in its 3rd year. Everyone, even HC and GM needs to learn this business. Yes it was a kinda gambling when hiring an inexperienced HC for this job, but I believe Pagano was best available option for Colts, I wasn't high on other candidates. NE is on the opposite side, they are an experienced and organised team, which fundamentals are sticking together for like 10 years, and BB is a great coach. It takes few years to get on the same page with elite teams, in spite of tons of talent (and lack of that at some position) we have. I'm patient, however I 'm disappointed with yesterday's loss. Not with the loss, the way it happened. So we shouldn't overreact this thing and we shall look forward and keep on rebuilding carefully and smart. 

Our situation is bad, because this a brand new team, only in its 3rd year. Everyone, even HC and GM needs to learn this business. Yes it was a kinda gambling when hiring an inexperienced HC for this job, but I believe Pagano was best available option for Colts, I wasn't high on other candidates. NE is on the opposite side, they are an experienced and organised team, which fundamentals are sticking together for like 10 years, and BB is a great coach. It takes few years to get on the same page with elite teams, in spite of tons of talent (and lack of that at some position) we have. I'm patient, however I 'm disappointed with yesterday's loss. Not with the loss, the way it happened. So we shouldn't overreact this thing and we shall look forward and keep on rebuilding carefully and smart. 

everything you just said is correct and i didn't say otherwise..

i realize we have young and inexperienced coach and gm, but what i meant was i fear it might take a few more years (just like you said) and if they fail and don't BTM, then those would be considered wasted years with a super talented QB and incompetent coach and GM.. worst case scenario..

everything you just said is correct and i didn't say otherwise..

i realize we have young and inexperienced coach and gm, but what i meant was i fear it might take a few more years (just like you said) and if they fail and don't BTM, then those would be considered wasted years with a super talented QB and incompetent coach and GM.. worst case scenario..

I get it, this is a tough situation. Besides every QB reaches it's top form in around 5th year in the NFL (according to some experts). If we take this assumption, the team has 2 more years to advance and hire more talent. I know this is a 'win now' league, but colts just weren't in that situation. And still we are ahead of our schedule (according to Irsay), so we shall take a deep breath and keep on working. Getting embarrassed never feels good (actually it hurts bad), but we can only talk about wasted years only after next 2 seasons, until then Andrew will keep growing. 

He deserves to be paid big,but that comes at a steep price to the team in other ways cuz u won't be paying less than 5 Mil anymore for ur qb. They will have to hit home runs on all the draft picks for years cuz they won't be able to afford everybody which somehow hopefully don't end up like years in the 2000's when we had to let a bunch go and struggle to find replacements although over half this team needs to be replaced anyway. Go luck with this front office people!