Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos and John Fox Parting Ways

SilentHill

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just coming to post the same from Lombardi.  My oh my.

Someone on the Denver boards opined that Elway must already know Peyton's decision or at least leaning.  If he's cleaning house, then I think he's ready to remake the franchise.  It was always a win at this moment strategy when Peyton was at the helm but they can't pull that off without a franchise QB.

One of the problems of bringing mass quantities of FA is that it's not a systemic, long-term building of a team.  Can't say I won't enjoy watching them implode should it happen  ;)

People keep saying this about their free agents and other signings, but it's really not accurate. The Broncos aren't on the hook for a ton of guaranteed money, and they have young drafted players that can and have performed well for them. Not to mention the fact that their major free agent signings have all performed well for them, for the most part.

I want to go a little bit out on a limb here and posture a possibility.  It has always been said the Peyton runs the practices like he were a coach.  What if Manning and Elway have already discussed all of this and he is planning to retire, then take over the HC position?  

Possible?  Or am I nuts?

don't answer that last one....  :thmup:

People keep saying this about their free agents and other signings, but it's really not accurate. The Broncos aren't on the hook for a ton of guaranteed money, and they have young drafted players that can and have performed well for them. Not to mention the fact that their major free agent signings have all performed well for them, for the most part.

Here's why I believe too many FAs are the issue, not FA in general.  1).  Too many FAs are let go for a reason.  Their prior team knows something about them you don't know.  2).  Judicious selection of FAs can bring up your younger talent and mature them more quickly than would naturally happen, but you have to be careful that you aren't taking positions and playing time from young players so they can improve and become part of a long term solution.  

I want to go a little bit out on a limb here and posture a possibility.  It has always been said the Peyton runs the practices like he were a coach.  What if Manning and Elway have already discussed all of this and he is planning to retire, then take over the HC position?  

Possible?  Or am I nuts?

I think Manning is looking to be an owner, not a coach when he hangs it up.  If he does retire, and you believe the rumors look for him to pop up as part of a group to buy the Titans

Here's why I believe too many FAs are the issue, not FA in general.  1).  Too many FAs are let go for a reason.  Their prior team knows something about them you don't know.  2).  Judicious selection of FAs can bring up your younger talent and mature them more quickly than would naturally happen, but you have to be careful that you aren't taking positions and playing time from young players so they can improve and become part of a long term solution.  

Okay, I don't disagree with any of that in particular, but we're talking around the problem and in general terms. In the Broncos' case, their free agents weren't the problem. Ware, Talib and Ward all had pretty good seasons for them. Emmanuel Sanders was a huge boost to them in the first half of the season. Louis Vasquez has been a good lineman for them. Terrance Knighton is one of their best defensive linemen. Manning has been huge.

And pending new transactions, the Broncos have $25m in cap space going into 2015. All of those FA acquisitions can be released for more cap savings.

People are talking like the Broncos use of free agency has hurt them, and it hasn't. They didn't live up to expectations, obviously, and now heads are rolling (not surprising, really, when people have been talking about how overly conservative John Fox is since before Manning went there). But the players they signed and the contracts they signed them to aren't the issue.

I love how Schefter again is taking credit for breaking a story that Jay Glazer reported would/could happen before the game was even played.

Kubiak and Del Rio are the two names people are throwing out now.

I don't expect Del Rio to be promoted I honestly think he's headed to Oakland . There were people saying Gase might be promoted but seriously I don't see it happening and the Niners are making a push to hire him tonight .

Maybe Jon gruden to the rescue? Gruden loves the sheriff we see it when he announces MNF when peyton plays.

Gruden is not leaving the limelight of the camera stuck in his face all the time. Have you ever noticed that Grudens face lights up like a Christmas tree every time a camera shows him? He has already showed himself as not a very good coach. Every year after winning the super bowl with Dungy's team the Bucs got worse. There was a reason the Raiders traded him away.

I couldn't see Elway hiring Rex

The anti-Fox. I'm sure Elway would want that change around. Denver has been flat and uninspired. That falls on the coach, and Rex wouldn't ever let his team be like that. I'm sure he is looking for a great leader. Rex is really the only one that fits that description.

I think he would have.

I don't think it was about expectations with SF. I think the coach just rubbed the front office the wrong way. But with Fox, yeah...

Ehh, the front office didn't mind Harbaugh's style when they were making deep playoff runs and playing in the Super Bowl but yeah, it may be a little of both.

Not sure. The best thing for the Broncos is to move forward. I assume Manning would retire. They need to move on.

Move on to what? They have a lot invested in this team

..They're not going to blow it up after one year.

Remember./most of the defense was not in Denver in 2013...

the big shadow is Mike Shanahan....Elway's old coach and a guy Peyton respects

Move on to what? They have a lot invested in this team

..They're not going to blow it up after one year.

Remember./most of the defense was not in Denver in 2013...

the big shadow is Mike Shanahan....Elway's old coach and a guy Peyton respects

And a guy Pat Bowlen fired. But i think he has to be a candidate

Possible?  Or am I nuts? 

Seems unlikely (unlikely that you're nuts, too, girl) but I didn't believe what happened today was possible Sunday morning when I first heard it..

So what do I know?

And a guy Pat Bowlen fired. But i think he has to be a candidate

Im a little shocked...because if they keep Peyton..and obviously..Ware. Talib. Harris, Clady are all under big contracts

...you're looking for a coach who knows he has to win big his first year..

..you cant get someone who's never been a head coach...a strange thought came to me...Tony Dungy