Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Better QB

After watching the semi-final match-ups in college football, one thing was clear Mariotta and Winston were the best QB's. For the draft coming up which of the two will get picked first? Which of the two will have a better NFL career?

I think it'll be Winston, to both questions. He reminds me a lot off Byron Leftwich. Not only because he looks like him, but they also have similar styles of play. What do yo all think?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mariota is more of a read-option style qb and Winston is the better pocket passer, however, Winston's baggage will kill him in the NFL and shorten his career. He is very immature and can't stop doing stupid things. He reminds me of Johnny Manziel in that respect. Mariota reminds me of a Luck, RGIII mix. He has the skills of a RGIII with the smarts and maturity of a Andrew Luck. He also doesn't have RGIII's injury history. I think Mariota will be the best qb since Luck, and maybe the best qb to come out since Luck and Wilson since Rodgers in 2005. Mariota is a winner, I pray he doesn't end up in the AFC South to the Titans.

ignoring off field issues and judging only on football, its Winston.  He plays and excels in a complex pro style offense at FSU.  He has to make reads, make throws before recievers have made their cut and a lot of defense reading.

Mariotta is in a gimmick offense.  spread, fast, quick no read throws.  Not to say he cant become a good NFL QB, but it's going to take time as he hasn't played in or had the responsibilities of a pro style offense.

in terms of college career and playing style:

Winston = Wilson

Mariotta = Geno Smith

not saying Winston will be as good as Wilson or Mariotta will be a bust like Smith

Colts definitely avoided one there. You guys got a tough position in the draft QB wise. You could go after Brett Hundley.

I don't know if Hundley would be available where we pick either. I think we're addressing other positions of need and rolling with Mallett and Case, or maybe we'll bring in some free agent or something.

I don't know if Hundley would be available where we pick either. I think we're addressing other positions of need and rolling with Mallett and Case, or maybe we'll bring in some free agent or something.

Got to admit....I'm wishing Jay Cutler on you guys.  I know that is small of me.....

I think it will depend on if Jameis Winston declares for the draft. Most likely he's coming to the NFL, but I've read he's thinking of staying in college. If he stays, a team like the Jets will probably reach on Hundley, if he declares, Hundley may fall to you. I'm not an expert on the Texans though, so I don't know all your needs. Seems like you need to fix the secondary and get another WR. Maybe on O-Lineman. I would guess Bill O-Brien would go BPA. Mallett deserves a shot though, and you still have Tom Savage as well.

Got to admit....I'm wishing Jay Cutler on you guys.  I know that is small of me.....

Ha, I'm actually a Cutler fan, so I wouldn't mind that at all! But I don't think he's leaving Chicago, especially since they just cut ties with Trestman.

I think it will depend on if Jameis Winston declares for the draft. Most likely he's coming to the NFL, but I've read he's thinking of staying in college. If he stays, a team like the Jets will probably reach on Hundley, if he declares, Hundley may fall to you. I'm not an expert on the Texans though, so I don't know all your needs. Seems like you need to fix the secondary and get another WR. Maybe on O-Lineman. I would guess Bill O-Brien would go BPA. Mallett deserves a shot though, and you still have Tom Savage as well.

Yeah, o-line definitely needs to be addressed, and you can never have too many DBs. I'm not sure how deep this receiver class is but I'm sure the position can be addressed in a later round.

Schaub

Bob

Cupboard

and now Jay Cutler

lmao

Schaub was a seven year starter for my team. And I wasn't supposed to support the guy?

Griffin is a player I have liked for a long time as well, and a player that you like to hate on for no reason.

No idea who cupboard is and I have no idea what your beef is with Cutler but I don't care. You can continue being typical and following a quarterback who plays for another team that is in direct opposition with yours if you want, and I will continue rooting for the guys who I want to root for. I don't need your approval or satisfaction.

Schaub was a seven year starter for my team. And I wasn't supposed to support the guy?

Griffin is a player I have liked for a long time as well, and a player that you like to hate on for no reason.

No idea who cupboard is and I have no idea what your beef is with Cutler but I don't care. You can continue being typical and following a quarterback who plays for another team that is in direct opposition with yours if you want, and I will continue rooting for the guys who I want to root for. I don't need your approval or satisfaction.

I wish you were the Texan GM

Yeah it does. If you had your way he would have stayed on the Colts, and would've got hurt playing behind that line of 2012.

I'm not sure that's what i would have done. But i could have got a kings ransom for that number one pick. He wouldn't have had that line

I'm not sure that's what i would have done. But i could have got a kings ransom for that number one pick. He wouldn't have had that line

So you think bringing in a lot of rookie offensive lineman would have been the way to go? Nah, things still would have gotten bad quickly. Especially when Matt freaking Kalil was the first o lineman picked, and the only one on the board for a while.

So you think bringing in a lot of rookie offensive lineman would have been the way to go? Nah, things still would have gotten bad quickly. Especially when Matt freaking Kalil was the first o lineman picked, and the only one on the board for a while.

You can trade for established players as well as draft picks

I'm a Seminole fan who has said what I'm about to say a few times already. Winston is overrated. Every single player on our team is an NFL calibur player. Just look at what our 7th round RBs did once they got some carries late this year in the NFL. Winston is good but that's about it. Any team who thinks he'll be their savior is badly mistaken.

Mariotta makes dumb throws (was actually shocked that he had so few ints) but he makes good ones too. His read option isn't like RGIII's, Vick's etc. He does in the way it's drawm up as fluently as a Madden play. Those other guys just run around in circles which looks good until somebody gets 1 good lick on them.

clipboard is another name for Johnny Bench

Jvan said cupboard so I assumed he was talking about Harry Potter lol. And Johnny is a starter now.

No he isn't, He was on the bench to finish the season. Yes i know he was injured, but he couldn't even make it through two games without injury. He won't be handed the starting job next season

No he isn't, He was on the bench to finish the season. Yes i know he was injured, but he couldn't even make it through two games without injury. He won't be handed the starting job next season

Nick Foles couldn't make it through a season without injury. Does that make him not a starter either? What about Navarro Bowman, Patrick Willis?