Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Winners are Losers each year! 5 teams in Cap Hell

I posted the other day in the "colts football" forum about the five teams who have the most cap space available. I realized it really should be posted here. The five teams were Oakland, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Seattle. Today there is a new story on the five teams who are in the worst shape. Posted below is the link to the article. It is a good article and worth a read. The five teams in the worst shape are New Orleans who is far and away the worst, Arizona, Pittsburgh, New England, and San Francisco. It has analysis on each team, who can do what, and which players are probably in trouble. I was hoping NE was in real trouble, but there number is because Revis is asssigned 20M next year, and that will never happen. He will do what he always does, go to the highest bidder.

So a couple of the players either FA or who will be let go most likely due to the cap I know have been mentioned and ones I would love to have.  First is Devin McCourty, Safety from NE. Did anyone know he is rated the top Safety this year so far. He is going to be a FA, and the only way I see NE keeping him is the franchise tag, but it is not their way. Plus I don't see them paying big money for a safety. I hate to pay, but it is such a big need.

Next from NO they think Jahri Evans or Ben Grubbs will be let go, and I have to agree. They both have monster contracts, did not play great this year, no one on NO did, and they are good guards. I would love to have one of them playing guard at a reduced rate.

The last one that peeked my interest was Mike Lupati, SF, which I know people would love, and so would I. Only problem is he is going to be seeking a contract in the range of Levitre 2 yrs. ago, and will probably get it. I just can't see paying a guard that kind of money. Now a center, yes. God please give us a good center, someone stable like Saturday.

The last thing after I read the article, and after reading everybody's wish list this year, and remembering last year, and the year before last, I realized one really important point:

Whoever wins each year in FA in March, is a loser in the regular season!

Last year many declared NO the winner, getting Byrd seemed like a great addition. How did that work out, and everyone of us wanted him. Now they are looking at how to reduce his salary. Now I will agree that NE and Denver did well in FA and it actually has worked well for both teams, but that is more the anomaly. The year before, 2013 Miami was the winner in FA. How did that work out. Point is, rarely does making a big splash work in FA work, we all know this, yet we long for certain players. My feeling is we sign all the guys we need to, Hilton, Allen, Fleener, etc. and then look for some players on the OL we can plug in. I actually would love to get Evans, Lupati, or Grubbs. Moral of the story though, put a lot of thought into it because usually it does not work! Just ask Washington.

I am still positive, even though we seem to be faltering down the stretch. I always felt we are only in Year 3 of a total rebuild, and have gotten 3 playoff berths. Not bad. We have found a lot of great players in the draft, and Grigson needs to keep his nose to the grindstone. Duron Carter would be a great start after Jan. 1st, and would eliminate a need for a WR draft pick, at least early.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24913408/agents-take-the-five-teams-with-the-worst-salary-cap-situations

I posted the other day in the "colts football" forum about the five teams who have the most cap space available. I realized it really should be posted here. The five teams were Oakland, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Seattle. Today there is a new story on the five teams who are in the worst shape. Posted below is the link to the article. It is a good article and worth a read. The five teams in the worst shape are New Orleans who is far and away the worst, Arizona, Pittsburgh, New England, and San Francisco. It has analysis on each team, who can do what, and which players are probably in trouble. I was hoping NE was in real trouble, but there number is because Revis is asssigned 20M next year, and that will never happen. He will do what he always does, go to the highest bidder.

So a couple of the players either FA or who will be let go most likely due to the cap I know have been mentioned and ones I would love to have.  First is Devin McCourty, Safety from NE. Did anyone know he is rated the top Safety this year so far. He is going to be a FA, and the only way I see NE keeping him is the franchise tag, but it is not their way. Plus I don't see them paying big money for a safety. I hate to pay, but it is such a big need.

Next from NO they think Jahri Evans or Ben Grubbs will be let go, and I have to agree. They both have monster contracts, did not play great this year, no one on NO did, and they are good guards. I would love to have one of them playing guard at a reduced rate.

The last one that peeked my interest was Mike Lupati, SF, which I know people would love, and so would I. Only problem is he is going to be seeking a contract in the range of Levitre 2 yrs. ago, and will probably get it. I just can't see paying a guard that kind of money. Now a center, yes. God please give us a good center, someone stable like Saturday.

The last thing after I read the article, and after reading everybody's wish list this year, and remembering last year, and the year before last, I realized one really important point:

Whoever wins each year in FA in March, is a loser in the regular season!

Last year many declared NO the winner, getting Byrd seemed like a great addition. How did that work out, and everyone of us wanted him. Now they are looking at how to reduce his salary. Now I will agree that NE and Denver did well in FA and it actually has worked well for both teams, but that is more the anomaly. The year before, 2013 Miami was the winner in FA. How did that work out. Point is, rarely does making a big splash work in FA work, we all know this, yet we long for certain players. My feeling is we sign all the guys we need to, Hilton, Allen, Fleener, etc. and then look for some players on the OL we can plug in. I actually would love to get Evans, Lupati, or Grubbs. Moral of the story though, put a lot of thought into it because usually it does not work! Just ask Washington.

I am still positive, even though we seem to be faltering down the stretch. I always felt we are only in Year 3 of a total rebuild, and have gotten 3 playoff berths. Not bad. We have found a lot of great players in the draft, and Grigson needs to keep his nose to the grindstone. Duron Carter would be a great start after Jan. 1st, and would eliminate a need for a WR draft pick, at least early.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24913408/agents-take-the-five-teams-with-the-worst-salary-cap-situations

I'm thinking the Colts sign one of the good guards and draft a T in the first 2 rounds. That would be a huge step in solidifying the O line and I'm positive Irsay will push hard for this. I agree the S from NE or any good S would be a welcome addition. I do think we have enough cap room to sign out players from the 2011 draft and also sign a free agent or two. The key  is we will only have another year of Landry , D Jacksn and RJF . This will take around 15 mill off the books for 2016 as there is pretty much no cap hit for these guys.

NE's off season will be to me very interesting. Wllford is still good but getting up there is age. How about Revis... ? No way they can let him count over 20 mill on next year's cap and he won't IMO) sign any long term deal for less than around 13 mill per. That is just not the philosophy the Pats use . No way they want to be stuck with a player on the decline for that kind of money going forward. 

I'm a big believer that restructuring deals is just a way of getting out of trouble now to push the trouble on to later.  

Depends on how it's done, and the player it's done for, IMO. I expect the Saints to restructure Brees' contract, but I expect them to add extra years and normalize his salaries across the next 4-5 years. Since Brees is a good player who is critical to their success, I think that's a good restructure.

There are plenty of bad examples, but those usually involve aging/declining players, or guys who get injured. Giving out more guaranteed money is always a risky proposition, but I think there's a right way to do it and a right player to do it with. 

I would rather Grigs continue to build through the draft than take on big contracts for FA's. Keep in mind that we are going to be putting a number of players on their 2nd contract soon (Luck, Fleener, TY, Allen, etc.) and those are going to be expensive.  I think we need to stop trading draft picks and start looking to use them for playmakers and depth.  This can really do wonders in keeping our cap managable and giving us the opportunity to grab that one big missing piece.  

I would rather Grigs continue to build through the draft than take on big contracts for FA's. Keep in mind that we are going to be putting a number of players on their 2nd contract soon (Luck, Fleener, TY, Allen, etc.) and those are going to be expensive.  I think we need to stop trading draft picks and start looking to use them for playmakers and depth.  This can really do wonders in keeping our cap managable and giving us the opportunity to grab that one big missing piece.  

If I were GM I'd be looking for a proven veteran G or RT to lead my young offensive line. Someone with leadership skills. Use the draft for a promising young RB, draft the best available S and DE high.

If I were GM I'd be looking for a proven veteran G or RT to lead my young offensive line. Someone with leadership skills. Use the draft for a promising young RB, draft the best available S and DE high.

I'm thinking the same....and I know Grigs has tried to address the OL by signing Donald Thomas and Cherilus, with injury-tainted results....but I agree that some proven-quality veteran leadership at OG or RT is a worthwhile way to go. The salary cap piece of this is always tricky....but with the accumulation of hits on Andrew and the compounding problem of an inconsistent rushing attack....I'd focus free agency dollars on the OG first.

There's always the fear and 20/20 hindsight of over-spending in free agency....but absent an impressive step forward in the development of Thornton, Holmes, Harrison and Mewhort AND a 16-game run of good health for Cherilus, Shipley and Reitz....I'm not sure there's a better option.

And while I haven't been part of the "fire the coaches" torch mob....the OL coaching and development of the youngsters Thornton, Holmes, Harrison and Mewhort into quality starters is absolutely fair game for close examination in the 2nd and 3rd years of their careers.

But I think Castonzo re-signed plus one other quality free agent OG could help smooth those things out....and maybe we actually turn the O-line into a strength.

If anything, all you need is a guard with some experience. Center is fine, it's just the coaches need to open their eyes. Harrison shouldn't have been starting there. Either Shipley or Holmes should be starting there. Thorton probably just needs to learn and develop a little longer.

We don't need anything else from FA. Even WR. Why keep handing out 1 year prove it deals when you can just draft a cheap rookie who you can have for longer?