Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton and His Pick Sixes

MJD42

Manning's pick last night reminded me of the Super Bowl vs the Saints when he laid it up to Porter when the Colts were driving to take the lead. He seems to throw these a lot in critical situations. Not sure how close he is to Favre for the most all time but he has to be close.

I have no idea where he ranks historically but he said that last night's pick six was just a bad decision. Thomas was covered and he should have gone to Sanders or Julius. When I watched the play, he threw the ball nowhere close to Thomas and his feet were not set. The impression I got was that he was expecting DT to cut back inside and just as he was about to wind up he saw DT break outside and then shuffled his feet to adjust where he was going to throw and got nothing on the throw in the pouring rain.

It seemed Cincy had a beat on his audibles all night. They also disguised coverages and pressure well. It reminded me a lot of the way the Jets played NE. I just don't get why they went away from the hurry up in the fourth. It was working so well in the third.

I am not sure if Julius Thomas will return to the Broncos. Him being hobbled with his ankle not fully 100% out there makes the offense more ineffective if he is just trotting out there. He has limited blocking skills, ala Dallas Clark.

Peyton might have to start looking for Welker more as the playoffs come around, no two ways about it.

Peyton has thrown 10 TDs and 8 Ints after game 8. His TD to INT Ratio was 7:1 till game 8, which was supposed to be the meaty part of the schedule. Obviously, things are not right with Peyton's zip and the entire offense.

Manning can still chuck it if he has the time and space to set up. A couple of those long throws were really nice. 

Where he struggles now is if he can't set his feet. I only saw the second half of the game but the two of the three INTs were hurried and/or back-foot-type throws. On the last one, I think he was just hoping Thomas would get up there and get it. He's not putting much some of his passes and a few of them were like hanging curveballs where DBs had time to undercut routes or get into position to defend. 

At times he looked great last night. A couple of those third-quarter drives were excellent. When they get things humming Denver can still move the ball. Just a question of whether or not they can sustain it.

I can be objective here.   You all know I'm his biggest fan, but I don't think he's looked right, or healthy for the past several games.

Not sure if he's covering an injury, or just slipping as he's nearing the end of his career.    I agree with GoPats above, however, in that he can still throw the ball when he has time to set his feet.   There were a few  really really nice throws last night.  Unfortunately the one to Thomas got called back for penalty.

Oh well,  he'll still always be my favorite.   

Manning can still chuck it if he has the time and space to set up. A couple of those long throws were really nice. 

Where he struggles now is if he can't set his feet. I only saw the second half of the game but the two of the three INTs were hurried and/or back-foot-type throws. On the last one, I think he was just hoping Thomas would get up there and get it. He's not putting much some of his passes and a few of them were like hanging curveballs where DBs had time to undercut routes or get into position to defend. 

At times he looked great last night. A couple of those third-quarter drives were excellent. When they get things humming Denver can still move the ball. Just a question of whether or not they can sustain it.

Here is an interesting take on Manning from the Bleacher Report, http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2308445-its-time-to-start-worrying-about-peyton-manning-and-the-shaky-broncos?utm_campaign=tsiphone&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com.

Take this for what it is worth but they do not blame his lack of arm strength for his poor play but mental lapses:

As much as we'd like to pretend there's a simple explanation for these mistakes, they weren't forced by Manning's arm strength, or lack thereof. They were largely mental lapses.

"I made some bad throws," Manning told reporters after the game. He admitted he'd thrown it to the wrong receiver on at least one of those interceptions.

Manning, at age 38, doesn't have the same deep ball he had at 28—nor can he put the same old zip on many of the shorter routes. Mentally, though, his game has been airtight. Nobody prepares more fanatically than Manning, and typically no one is better under pressure.

Instead, Manning was unsettled and shaky from the word go. He threw to covered receivers, missed open targets and sank the Broncos' chances of clinching the No. 1 seed in the AFC.

Before he went hurry up there was some serious hidden schemes Bengals put on- as the announcers said- did they have Denver's play book. Once he went hurry up the Bengals had no time to confuse him.

They knew all his hand signals. It was eerie. They were all over him and would not let him get set. I have no idea why they went away from the hurry up. That was the only time their offense clicked all game.

Peyton get's rattled, just like every other QB. I don't think it's the Broncos year to win it, but I don't think Peyton is toast either. That O-line is about as good as what the Colts are fielding right now. The Blitz comes, and the O line falls backwards 5 yards in 2 seconds. Brady wasn't good at the at the start of the season because of that type of play in front of him, Luck stunk up the joint sunday with that kind of protection, and so did Peyton last night. 

Tony Romo, the butt of all jokes is a MVP candidate with his line in front of him. I'm sensing a pattern here..

Peyton's throwing the ball the same way he's thrown it since his neck injury..

He throws wobbly passes....and isn't effective in bad weather..Cincinatti was not the first place he's thrown road interceptions in bad weather.

He also threw for 311 yards last night.and it would have been 400 except for questionable penalties.

I was encouraged with that.

But Julius Thomas is hurt...He's played little or not at all for 6 games..

He left a Bengal snatch the ball out of his hands last night and he can hardly run.

Without a TE threat, Manniong is a lot easier to defense

Also, Denver's Ryan Clady is having problems at left tackle. Don't know why.

Peyton does not have much time back there..and he's a little short of receivers.

At the end of Monday's game, they had Cody Latimer, Jacob Tamme, Wes Welker and Demariyus Thomas on the field.

Denver must beat Oakland to get a first round bye. They've played a much tougher schedule this year.

But the third quarter Monday night was the best manning has played in a month.

No reason for concern where he's concerned .

Denver's going to play at NE for the AFC title

Peyton's throwing the ball the same way he's thrown it since his neck injury..

He throws wobbly passes....and isn't effective in bad weather..Cincinatti was not the first place he's thrown road interceptions in bad weather.

He also threw for 311 yards last night.and it would have been 400 except for questionable penalties.

I was encouraged with that.

But Julius Thomas is hurt...He's played little or not at all for 6 games..

He left a Bengal snatch the ball out of his hands last night and he can hardly run.

Without a TE threat, Manniong is a lot easier to defense

Also, Denver's Ryan Clady is having problems at left tackle. Don't know why.

Peyton does not have much time back there..and he's a little short of receivers.

At the end of Monday's game, they had Cody Latimer, Jacob Tamme, Wes Welker and Demariyus Thomas on the field.

Denver must beat Oakland to get a first round bye. They've played a much tougher schedule this year.

But the third quarter Monday night was the best manning has played in a month.

No reason for concern where he's concerned .

Denver's going to play at NE for the AFC title

Agree with the bolded.  The 3rd Qtr. was pretty exciting.   Then came the 4th  :facepalm:

As far as questionable calls.  The one that I didn't agree with was when Julius caught a pass, and the defender wrestled it away from him (supposedly).  We were right there, and it looked to me like they both had equal possession as they stepped out of bounds.   I don't understand that call, or calling it an int.  :scratch:

Peyton get's rattled, just like every other QB. I don't think it's the Broncos year to win it, but I don't think Peyton is toast either. That O-line is about as good as what the Colts are fielding right now. The Blitz comes, and the O line falls backwards 5 yards in 2 seconds. Brady wasn't good at the at the start of the season because of that type of play in front of him, Luck stunk up the joint sunday with that kind of protection, and so did Peyton last night. 

Tony Romo, the butt of all jokes is a MVP candidate with his line in front of him. I'm sensing a pattern here..

No, he's not. Okay, maybe it's my extreme Dallas animosity speaking here. I'll admit that, but my MVP is either Brady or Aaron Rogers. Brady's got the edgen give the difficulty of competition he has faced this year. 

Let's see Tony beat the Seahawks in the Playoffs 1st; Then, we can talk about Romo's possible MVP ascension. 

No, he's not. Okay, maybe it's my extreme Dallas animosity speaking here. I'll admit that, but my MVP is either Brady or Aaron Rogers. Brady's got the edgen give the difficulty of competition he has faced this year. 

Let's see Tony beat the Seahawks in the Playoffs 1st; Then, we can talk about Romo's possible MVP ascension. 

Dude, I don't like the Cowboys, Seahawks or the Patriots- but I said candidate- not winner. 

Tony did beat the Seahawks in Seattle this year, it's a regular season award...

Overall, I was pleased with how Manning came alive in the 3rd QTR; he was on fire & had good command of the ball with nice long ball & intermediate control. His arm strength has definitely returned now. Like GP said, if you give 18 time to throw & enough space to slide forward in the pocket; He still has zip on the ball. 

The Bengals running game was just too much to handle last night. That's not Manning's fault. He played decent in the rain. That last pick killed me man. Ouch. 1st my Colts go down, then the lowly Cowboys rise, & Peyton gets the Broncos ahead by 1 only to have a miscommunication with his WR. Sigh...Man, this has been a brutal week for me with a lot of humble pie vs pumpkin pie.

Momma said they'll be like this...

Dude, I don't like the Cowboys, Seahawks or the Patriots- but I said candidate- not winner. 

Tony did beat the Seahawks in Seattle this year, it's a regular season award...

You're right it is a regular not post season award Fish. If you wanna make Tony Romo, the comeback player of the year award after 3 consecutive 8-8 season records & now surpassing that lackluster record. I'm cool with that. But, MVP no, I just can't go there.

I know it's almost Christmas, but even my charitable nature won't extend that far. Sorry. 

Okay, you did say candidate not lock so I get what your driving at. Just on general principle, I don't want Dallas winning any meaningful awards either MVPs or more SB trophies. LOL! 

You're right it is a regular not post season award Fish. If you wanna make Tony Romo, the comeback player of the year award after 3 consecutive 8-8 season records & now surpassing that lackluster record. I'm cool with that. But, MVP no, I just can't go there.

I know it's almost Christmas, but even my charitable nature won't extend that far. Sorry. 

Okay, you did say candidate not lock so I get what your driving at. Just on general principle, I don't want Dallas winning any meaningful awards either MVPs or more SB trophies. LOL! 

I'm not sure you're getting my point (in fact I'm not sure why I'm going to make this point- but I am!). It's somewhat irrelevant what you or I think in terms of likes/dislikes- the *fact* is the media is now chirping about how Romo is now at least in the discussion, he's had a very good year- you don't have to like it.

A sample from nfl.com's power ranking blurbs- this week.

"So where are all those fans who wanted Dallas to take Johnny Manziel right about now? At "Twin Peaks," watching Midwestern State take on West Texas A&M? Very quietly, Tony Romo has entered the MVP discussion; and if you ask me, you can't merely attribute it to DeMarco Murray's rise to stardom. No, it has something to do with 77, 65, 72, 70 and 68 up front. Still uncomfortable giving the quarterback his due, Romo haters? Then how about splitting the award five ways?"

I will join you in wishing the Cowboys no future success though..

I'm not sure you're getting my point (in fact I'm not sure why I'm going to make this point- but I am!). It's somewhat irrelevant what you or I think in terms of likes/dislikes- the *fact* is the media is now chirping about how Romo is now at least in the discussion, he's had a very good year- you don't have to like it.

A sample from nfl.com's power ranking blurbs- this week.

"So where are all those fans who wanted Dallas to take Johnny Manziel right about now? At "Twin Peaks," watching Midwestern State take on West Texas A&M? Very quietly, Tony Romo has entered the MVP discussion; and if you ask me, you can't merely attribute it to DeMarco Murray's rise to stardom. No, it has something to do with 77, 65, 72, 70 and 68 up front. Still uncomfortable giving the quarterback his due, Romo haters? Then how about splitting the award five ways?"

I will join you in wishing the Cowboys no future success though..

I will agree that there is no crime in including Tony Romo in the MVP conversation & yes their o-line is a marvel to watch. Just image what Luck could do with that kind of time? Wow. Tony has played well this year & as much as it kills me to say this: He won the NFC East without choking this year. 

Let me put it this way, Jerry Jones would never put me on a Cowboys draft selection committee, but I'd settle for a cheerleader advisory post though. Dallas, Miami, & San Diego do have nice warm weather scenery out there.  haha Just Kidding! 

Dallas is "America's Team" as in most hated football team in america that is...Okay, maybe that was a bit harsh; Truthful, but still harsh. 

Ah Dallas, we put the capital D in debacle...Okay, okay. I'll stop now. I can do this all day though, but I won't. 

Jeez I would not have guessed he's 17th in QBR when not facing pressure, and drops off to 27th when under pressure

There definitely must be something wrong that he's just not publicly sharing. As much as I love to rag on Manning (mostly due to defending Brady in Manning vs Brady debates) I hope it's nothing serious because he's good for the game of football.

I still wouldn't take him lightly come playoff time either. His skill position guys have been banged up and they'll have an extra week of rest to heal up and get better

It's definitely a tale of 2 seasons for Manning this year:

Weeks 1-8 (7 games)

174 for 252 (69%)

2134 yards

22 TDs

3 INTs

QB rating - 119

Weeks 9-16 (8 games)

200 for 308 (65%)

17 TDS

12 INTs

2320 yards

QB rating - 89.75

It's not like he's had a couple flukey game, he's been consistently declining and is definitely cause for some concern.

I have to believe it's an injury, because that big of a drop off in the middle of a season for a legend like Manning is very odd.

Of all sports the NFL has the biggest drop off in performance for athletes.  We saw Ed Reed in 2012 win the super bowl, and in 2013 goes to the Texans and is a shell of himself.

I see similar things with Peyton Manning if he comes back for next season.  His drop off will be noticeable.  If he's struggling now, just wait till next season.

I think Peyton retires at the end of the season.  The only way he comes back is mostly due to stats, not wanting guys like Brady to ever pass him in any individual category (TD's, yards etc).  If he actually believes the Broncos are a super bowl team next season and he can lead them to a SB I think he's in denial or delusional.

Weeks 1-8 (7 games)

174 for 252 (69%)

2134 yards

22 TDs

3 INTs

QB rating - 119

Weeks 9-16 (8 games)

200 for 308 (65%)

17 TDS

12 INTs

2320 yards

QB rating - 89.75

It's not like he's had a couple flukey game, he's been consistently declining and is definitely cause for some concern.

I have to believe it's an injury, because that big of a drop off in the middle of a season for a legend like Manning is very odd.

The drop began with the Pats game in week 9. The Denver O has not looked the same since that game. They were just saying on ESPN that defenses are forcing Manning to throw outside the numbers vs the middle of the field. This is something the Pats did vs him and also vs Matt Schaub back in 2012 when the Texans were coming in as the top team in the AFC ...

This is disgusting, and wrong on so many levels.

I think it's funny, although it really does suck what happened with Collie. He was a good player with a career cut tragically short. He's still able to think straight though which is a good thing.

I'm pretty sure he either retired or nobody would take him. Either way, it's good for his own health that he stays out of football and he can live a normal life. It's not like he's a vegetable....if he kept playing he mind have wound up being one.

Weeks 1-8 (7 games)

174 for 252 (69%)

2134 yards

22 TDs

3 INTs

QB rating - 119

Weeks 9-16 (8 games)

200 for 308 (65%)

17 TDS

12 INTs

2320 yards

QB rating - 89.75

JM...

We just don't analyze every game of any other QB..not even Tom Brady.

Denver played most of the start of the season at home (5 of 8)

..and most of the second half (5 of 7) on the road,,,,,of course Manning is better at home.

Denver has not faced a bad defensive team all season...

..and Denver schedule (NFC West and AFC East) is simply together than it was last year.

next season, Manning's numbers will go up and everyone will claim 'he's back"!

'

His 3rd Q against Cincy Monday night was his best of the season...He's clearly not hurt.

I haven't seen the last few games myself but I've said this before - every quarterback has a 4 turnover game every year that they hang around after their postprime and it's always a big game. Sounds dumb right...go look it up. Favre, Warner, Marino, and even Peyton (Superbowl last year, Falcons the year before). Atleast he got it out of the way before the Superbowl this year. I don't pick the Broncos to win the Superbowl this year but I don't think it will be because Peyton blows some game by himself.