Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The regression and Bradshaw

cmgww

I think there are other things that go into this recent offensive regression, but it does coincide with losing Ahmad Bradshaw IMO. It has done to our running game what losing Reggie did to our passing game last season. before the injury we at least ran the ball with some effectiveness. I know the Colts' problems are a lot more than Bradshaw going out, but I think it's a major factor in their regression. We have gone from a somewhat balanced offense to Luck throwing 40 times a game. Thoughts?

I think there are other things that go into this recent offensive regression, but it does coincide with losing Ahmad Bradshaw IMO. It has done to our running game what losing Reggie did to our passing game last season. before the injury we at least ran the ball with some effectiveness. I know the Colts' problems are a lot more than Bradshaw going out, but I think it's a major factor in their regression. We have gone from a somewhat balanced offense to Luck throwing 40 times a game. Thoughts?

Obviously, with no other decent RB on the roster, loosing Bradshaw was a major blow to our running game. Our D can really work, if they want, but with this patchwork o-line and non-existent running game our offence is one dimensional, and this single dimension is Andrew Luck.

For Luck can't do all himself, our fate is set in the PO.

NB: IMO with no significance of the game the team gave up yesterday easily. I believe we could make it closer, if it counted. I may be wrong but it was tough to see a disinterested team.

I don't know.  I'll give you that our regression does coincide with Bradshaw going down.  But I'm not sure how it has affected us.

Boom has been able to run the ball fairly well.  Bradshaw caught passes well but so can Trent and Boom. 

Perhaps the worst thing is losing Bradshaw in the screen game.  When we ran screens, he used to get every possible yard.  

I don't think it has very much to do with Bradshaw.   Bradshaw has nothing to do with the fact that this team sucks at run blocking, and his impact was not so great to say his absence is why this team now sucks at pass blocking.  Whatever the real reason is, Pagano and company seem to have absolutely no answer this season to get it fixed.

Obviously, with no other decent RB on the roster, loosing Bradshaw was a major blow to our running game. Our D can really work, if they want, but with this patchwork o-line and non-existent running game our offence is one dimensional, and this single dimension is Andrew Luck.

For Luck can't do all himself, our fate is set in the PO.

NB: IMO with no significance of the game the team gave up yesterday easily. I believe we could make it closer, if it counted. I may be wrong but it was tough to see a disinterested team.

that's on the coaches. no decent team is going to let the cowboys romp all over them. if we are more than decent, there was lack of preparation, interest or whatever you want to call it, but I agree with your post.

Bradshaw was the best at running the ball. So not only do you run the ball better but defenses respect play action more.

Bradshaw was the best RB catching the ball.

Bradshaw was the best we had at picking up blitzes.

So I think while you can't blame this whole offensive slump on him , you have a huge point.

Bradshaw was the best at running the ball. So not only do you run the ball better but defenses respect play action more.

So I think while you can't blame this whole offensive slump on him , you have a huge point.

We always seem to have a few players on our team that are not Andrew Luck that we just can't seem to get over when they get injured and have troubles afterwards.  Perhaps it's because we lack the proper depth. . . 

Last year it was Reggie Wayne.  This year it may be Bradshaw, although losing TY certainly didn't help matters, but we where regressing before this as well.  Also I would say that it might also be Mathis in part.  

I mean if we had to face more teams with decent quarterbacks this year, we would have a lot worse record.  

I think our really weak division boosts us a lot.  Last year we had 2 teams, fully half our division picking in the top 5.  That looks to repeat again this year.  So last year and this year, presuming we beat the Titans that is, it's like we go 6 - 0 in the division and go 5 - 5 outside the division.  It gives us an 11 - 5 record but gosh you have to think that if we where in another division the Colts would be 8 - 8.

Bradshaw is a good running back when healthy but he isn't a game changer. He was right there getting stuffed with Trent the last game he played.

A 30 year old running back isn't what's missing from being a Superbowl contender.

This team needs a lot of pieces, so Grigson needs to put down his 2012 executive of the year plaque and get to work, find the players and replace whatever coaches seem to stink.

I don't think it has very much to do with Bradshaw.   Bradshaw has nothing to do with the fact that this team sucks at run blocking, and his impact was not so great to say his absence is why this team now sucks at pass blocking.  Whatever the real reason is, Pagano and company seem to have absolutely no answer this season to get it fixed.

Well, I'm pretty sure teams watch our film, and I'm pretty sure they'd deem AB as more of a threat than TR. When a defense doesn't honor the opposing offense's run game with any merit, bad things happen, pass rush happens. 

Bradshaw came into our team as the #1 blocking back in the league, so his presence in the pass blocking game has also had great impact. 

Bradshaw was the best at running the ball. So not only do you run the ball better but defenses respect play action more.  - 

1.  Agree

2.  Disagree - He had way too many drops.

3.  Disagree - And it's not even close, he missed almost as many blitz pickups as he made.

Additionally, his last game he had 7 carries for 4 yards.  The problem goes well beyond just losing Bradshaw.

1.  Agree

2.  Disagree - He had way too many drops.

3.  Disagree - And it's not even close, he missed almost as many blitz pickups as he made.

Additionally, his last game he had 7 carries for 4 yards.  The problem goes well beyond just losing Bradshaw.

Agree to disagree on points 2 and 3. Agree that it's more than just losing him.

Well, I'm pretty sure teams watch our film, and I'm pretty sure they'd deem AB as more of a threat than TR. When a defense doesn't honor the opposing offense's run game with any merit, bad things happen, pass rush happens. 

Bradshaw came into our team as the #1 blocking back in the league, so his presence in the pass blocking game has also had great impact. 

I don't think they care.  They know that the Offensive Line doesn't block.  If you go to the Dallas Cowboys website in the news section, before the game happened they had one of their scouts breaking down Andrew Luck and the Colts offensive line.  That's all he talked about was how bad the colts were at blocking in so many words.

Bradshaw was a good junk runner though.

He was able to get through the wash of an O-line that we have right now and get 2-3 sometimes more out of it, and he was able to turn the 2-3 yard holes into 6 - 8 yard gains.  That makes a huge difference for the offense.

Losing both is too much for this offense, we can make up for the loss of one, but not both.

I'm not saying he's the sole reason for the offensive decline, but he is a big part of it IMO. When he was in defenses had to at least respect the run. He also caught 8 TDs..so he was pretty good out of the backfield. Yeah he's 30, but ran hard and got yards that TRich doesn't get (the wash of the line as someone above stated). He could power through and make something out of nothing. Boom WILL BE good....but he is a puppy right now. Bradshaw was a veteran and we are missing him in the RB stable now.

discipline?

an interesting choice of words.  i would agree there might be a slight lack of that from time to time, but man, each time i think of that taunting, i think of how it used to be and that was so minor comparatively. some players react differently to certain style coaches, pagano (a players coach) has a likable demeanor but maybe a harder hand is necessary.  if irsay talkes to the team sternly, like i'm sure he is going to do or has done or at least has spoken to the coaches, perhaps some heavy-handiness will result. something needs to happen but the ship is not sinking and I think we'll be ok for the playoffs.  I'm thinking this was a big-time wake-up call and it's all hands on deck and everyone has to suck it up.

There's no doubt Bradshaw gave us an instant running game with his running style but he can only keep that going for about half a year before he breaks down.

If we had another couple of Bradshaw types (or one Bradshaw and one legit power back) the whole offense springs to life.