Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Peyton retire this year?

sweetsurrender

If Peyton does come back for another season do the Broncos have a legit team in place next season or will they be hit with salary cap issues and lots of free agents?

To me, if Peyton truly wanted to win and give his team the best possible chance he'd play one season for the league minimum or take a Brady team friendly contract and go out with a bang.

Ehh I don't think he will not yet.  

He agreed with Tom Brady's view of "I'll play until I suck".  He's had some struggles this year but I don't think he's had enough to push him into retirement.  

A SB win or a major injury could change this.  But barring those instances I think he'll be back next year.

He may want to play next year but will it be for Denver? Surely Elway and Fox have seen the writing on the wall to some extent.

Also, I found it interesting that during yesterday's game when Peyton went out before half, Denver got the ball with a minute half and SD with only one timeout. Instead of running the ball and taking a 9-0 lead into half time, they had Osweiller attempt two passes. I think they wanted to see what they had in him even if for just a few plays. That was  a very curious sequence.

I really do not see Peyton retiring this year . . . the Broncos are on the heels of the #1 seed in the AFC and #1 overall in the NFL, so his overall play has not gone down that much since the past few years . . . I don't care what his "stats" are in the last few games . . .

Unless there is something that will hinder his playing ability like and injury I can not seeing him retiring at the end of this year . . .

And I sense too that he will keep playing even if he wins the SB . . . my sense is that he will play until he meets his stage when he does not want to play anymore which I do not think is retiring after a SB if he otherwise has not reach his end point in his mind . . .

Does anyone know about the Broncos' cap situation and free agency situation? Are the Broncos approaching rebuild mode?

They're fine. Plus DT already said he is willing to take a discount to play with Peyton.

They got Chris Harris at a steal with his extension. Broncos won't be rebuilding any time soon.

He may want to play next year but will it be for Denver? Surely Elway and Fox have seen the writing on the wall to some extent.

Also, I found it interesting that during yesterday's game when Peyton went out before half, Denver got the ball with a minute half and SD with only one timeout. Instead of running the ball and taking a 9-0 lead into half time, they had Osweiller attempt two passes. I think they wanted to see what they had in him even if for just a few plays. That was a very curious sequence.

Lol, AM you really try to dig for the demise of Peyton. Still have to wait. ;) No way Elway dumps Manning.

No demise. He will still play. But it depends on if Denver/Elway feel he is physically able to perform. Something is going on this season. I think he may be injured.

Meh; some bumps and bruises, no Julius Thomas, and a concerted effort to establish a rushing attack is all that's going on here. He's fine.

You've been talking about the demise of Peyton Manning since 2012, at least. We did a whole month on the Broncos picking up his option after that season.

He will play next year I think.  Even the players dont know when its over sometimes.  Not that it is for Peyton but Favre was really good and came back for one last season and was horrible.  Heck Jeff Saturday did the same as a center and couldnt finish his last season.  Snap your fingers thats how quickly the light goes out in the NFL.  Baseball and basketball it seems to be a several yr slide football it happens much more quickly.

I think Tony Romo might retire after this season though.  I think he should if he has to take pain killer shots to be propped up before every game.  Wow isnt that like the 1980's all over again?  Scary to imagine Romos health when hes 45.

Also, I found it interesting that during yesterday's game when Peyton went out before half, Denver got the ball with a minute half and SD with only one timeout. Instead of running the ball and taking a 9-0 lead into half time, they had Osweiller attempt two passes. I think they wanted to see what they had in him even if for just a few plays. That was  a very curious sequence.

He'll still be better than any other options the Bronco may have but if they don't want him he retires for sure.

He left the game to get to the locker room with intestinal issues. He played tight and all clinched yesterday. Unloading a successful bomb to end the half wasn't going to be a good thing but if sure would have been funny. 

Meh; some bumps and bruises, no Julius Thomas, and a concerted effort to establish a rushing attack is all that's going on here. He's fine.

You've been talking about the demise of Peyton Manning since 2012, at least. We did a whole month on the Broncos picking up his option after that season.

Yep his team has issues for sure. But he is not right either. Something is up. I don't think he retires but we will see about Denver. He is on a year to year contract for a reason.

He will be 39 in March and has had his neck fused. I think it is 50/50 that he comes back. The question is how much has the toll taken on him physically to prepare for each season and how much does he want to continue to do that and take the punishment. 

Yep his team has issues for sure. But he is not right either. Something is up. I don't think he retires but we will see about Denver. He is on a year to year contract for a reason.

if he fails his physical due to preexisting neck issues its a year to year contract

I don't think those are issues. Thomas had an ankle, he'll be back. They got Virgil Green back and decided, since Thomas was out and Green is a much better run blocker, why not find out if the run game can be counted on? Manning might not be 100%, whatever that is in December for a 38 year old QB, but I think he's fine. It's an adjustment to go from throwing the ball 40+ times a game to sub-30, so he's less efficient. But I don't think his bumps and bruises are too concerning to the Broncos. Even if they are, they aren't getting rid of him unless his head suddenly pops off.

I don't think those are issues. Thomas had an ankle, he'll be back. They got Virgil Green back and decided, since Thomas was out and Green is a much better run blocker, why not find out if the run game can be counted on? Manning might not be 100%, whatever that is in December for a 38 year old QB, but I think he's fine. It's an adjustment to go from throwing the ball 40+ times a game to sub-30, so he's less efficient. But I don't think his bumps and bruises are too concerning to the Broncos. Even if they are, they aren't getting rid of him unless his head suddenly pops off.

Much depends on what they think of Osweiler. I do think it was curious that with a minute half and SD only having one timeout before half, they decided to let Osweiller throw twice. The first was almost picked and the second one was called for intentional grounding. If they like what they are seeing in Osweiller they could decide to move on but I don't think that is next year unless something is up physically with Manning which might be the case.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't his neck issues begin in 2010 with the Colts and they didn't say anything until the following off-season when he had the first surgery?

His neck was never injured in any way. He had a pinched nerve. So no that isn't the issue with him physically.

Please, just stop grasping at straws, you look desperate.

Huh? He had his neck fused and he didn't have a pinched nerve, he did not have nerve regeneration post surgery which has never come back 100 percent according to him which affects both his arm and grip.

Huh? He had his neck fused and he didn't have a pinched nerve, he did not have nerve regeneration post surgery which has never come back 100 percent according to him which affects both his arm and grip.

He had a neck fusion to alleviate the pressure from his nerve in his throwing arm. He didn't have a neck injury. It has been, and always will be a nerve injury.

Much depends on what they think of Osweiler. I do think it was curious that with a minute half and SD only having one timeout before half, they decided to let Osweiller throw twice. The first was almost picked and the second one was called for intentional grounding. If they like what they are seeing in Osweiller they could decide to move on but I don't think that is next year unless something is up physically with Manning which might be the case.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't his neck issues begin in 2010 with the Colts and they didn't say anything until the following off-season when he had the first surgery?

You're reaching on the Osweiler thing. They didn't know whether Manning was coming back in the game. They got the ball back with time and timeouts, and for all they know, Osweiler might be finishing the game. Why not let him throw it?

Also, Manning had his first neck surgery prior to the 2010 season, in March. It was announced by the team at that time, and it was reportedly to ease discomfort due to a pinched nerve, something that had been going on for four years. It's been speculated that the initial injury occured in a game against Washington in 2006.

You're reaching on the Osweiler thing. They didn't know whether Manning was coming back in the game. They got the ball back with time and timeouts, and for all they know, Osweiler might be finishing the game. Why not let him throw it?

Also, Manning had his first neck surgery prior to the 2010 season, in March. It was announced by the team at that time, and it was reportedly to ease discomfort due to a pinched nerve, something that had been going on for four years. It's been speculated that the initial injury occured in a game against Washington in 2006.

It seemed curious to me. They were up 9-0 and SD only had one timeout. Brock was cold coming in as well. Why not let him hand off a couple of times and get out of the half with a shut out?

So the condition worsened in 2010 then? I remember he had a rough stretch that year and people attributed that to his neck getting worse.

He will be 39 in March and has had his neck fused. I think it is 50/50 that he comes back. The question is how much has the toll taken on him physically to prepare for each season and how much does he want to continue to do that and take the punishment.

But MJD....Peyton doesn't take a lot of punishment..and he says he likes preparing for games.

This question has come up in al his 3 years in Denver but keep in mind that Demarcus Ware and Aquib Talib

are in Denver largely because Manning is there. John Elway built the team around him to win now.

If he can play and lead them to wins, he kinda owes it to them to finish his deal

He left the game to get to the locker room with intestinal issues. He played tight and all clinched yesterday. Unloading a successful bomb to end the half wasn't going to be a good thing but if sure would have been funny. 

"Chick-en parm you weren't so fresh..." 

It seemed curious to me. They were up 9-0 and SD only had one timeout. Brock was cold coming in as well. Why not let him hand off a couple of times and get out of the half with a shut out?

So the condition worsened in 2010 then? I remember he had a rough stretch that year and people attributed that to his neck getting worse.

am.. He thought the score was 13-0.....They overruled the TD after he went into the locker room.

But yes I was surprised they had Brock O pass twice....I don't know what happened there, You weren't surprising them the 2nd time.

Did we all conclude that Peyton's 2010 struggles were due to what proved to be his neck problems.?

He never said that but then again, he wouldn't say it.

He did look sick and tired yesterday but he played very well

With a bye week...I think Peyton will be in top form for the playoffs

They did get out of the half with a shutout. No harm, no foul. I dont see how that sequence has any bearing on how they handle Manning in the offseason.

No, the neck surgery was after the Super Bowl and MVP season in 2009. The rough patch was in the middle of the following season. Then he missed the next year after three offseason surgeries, including the eventual fusion. His arm/nerve might have been an issue, but that team had a terrible offensive line, no run game, and several injuries to skill guys. And outside of three bad games, Manning was pretty good. All told, he threw the same number of TDs and one more pick than the previous MVP season. So I don't know if his rough patch was due to the injury, and if it was, he was able to adjust.