Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peterson considering retiring from football and training for Olympics

amfootball

What Peterson did was very common a generation ago.  It was not abuse then, how can it be abuse now?  It is done, and the owners of NFL teams are willing to discard one of the game's best for political correctness.  Too bad that a great player has to suffer the consequences of the owners' collective greed which the mercantile selves feel would be threatened by the crazed media.

I'm just 24 and the entire time I was growing up it was common for parents to whip their kids. Even my Elementary School was still whipping students in the late 90's. So I wont say AP abused his son. I am amazed how much things have changed in the last 15-20 years though. I don't think this would have been that big of a deal back then.

He has to accept the penalty..It doesnt matter howo he feels now because he did plead guilty or no contest to the judge.

He can blame the NFL but Ray Rice's appeal was upheld. His was denied.

If he still wishes to play, he should accept it...Its only a ban for the rest of this season.

The MFLPA is using him in their never-ending battle with authority

He already told the courts he accepted that he was wrong. He's getting bad advice. Accept the penalty and play next season.

What Peterson did was very common a generation ago.  It was not abuse then, how can it be abuse now?  It is done, and the owners of NFL teams are willing to discard one of the game's best for political correctness.  Too bad that a great player has to suffer the consequences of the owners' collective greed which the mercantile selves feel would be threatened by the crazed media.

Just because something was considered acceptable before, doesn't mean it will always be acceptable.  Peterson hit his kid with a tree branch and hit him hard enough to cause bleeding.  Things change over time; that's how societies make progress

Just because something was considered acceptable before, doesn't mean it will always be acceptable. Peterson hit his kid with a tree branch and hit him hard enough to cause bleeding. Things change over time; that's how societies make progress

I agree that whipping to the point of making him bleed is too far however I'm 21 years old and all growing up I would get whipped with willow tree switches, a wooden spatula, bare hands and all that good stuff. But I would say I gained from it because it taught me not to do that or there will be a PAINFUL consaqence. Then again it also depends on the kid if he/she is rebellious and won't listen to what you say/don't respect you as a parent then by all means spank him or her. Now if the kid listens and respects you then there is no need to spank/whip them. Bottom line is we don't know the details leading up to the situation...

Slavery was common and legal generations ago.

I agree that whipping to the point of making him bleed is too far however I'm 21 years old and all growing up I would get whipped with willow tree switches, a wooden spatula, bare hands and all that good stuff. But I would say I gained from it because it taught me not to do that or there will be a PAINFUL consaqence. Then again it also depends on the kid if he/she is rebellious and won't listen to what you say/don't respect you as a parent then by all means spank him or her. Now if the kid listens and respects you then there is no need to spank/whip them. Bottom line is we don't know the details leading up to the situation...

Right. We don't know the details and we are not the parents of that child.  So we should mind our own business, as the NFL should have. 

How many think of the possibility that AP may not want his kids to grow up like spoiled pukes, like so many children of the ultra wealthy?  Idle, with no interest in anything except pleasure? 

So you equate parental discipline to slavery?

You must be a Democrat.

Ok. How about this one for you; people used to think the Earth was flat. The point is, just because people thought something was right all the time doesn't mean it always should be.

Just to add a little context, this wasn't a normal disciplining. He beat that child until his scrotum bled. That is straight up abuse.

To clarify, I used to get the wooden spoon in the back of the thigh etc. I am not against this kind of discipline as a whole. But abuse is abuse.

you completely missed the point, and proceeded to in bring politics & veiled insults on top of it

i see some unfortunate posts on this board, but this one...

space_ghost_facepalm.jpg

As a non-American, this is exactly the kind of deductive reasoning we expect from those crazy Republican types. Not that all republicans are crazy, but I digress.

Right. We don't know the details and we are not the parents of that child.  So we should mind our own business, as the NFL should have. 

How many think of the possibility that AP may not want his kids to grow up like spoiled pukes, like so many children of the ultra wealthy?  Idle, with no interest in anything except pleasure? 

AP was indicted by the justice system not the NFL on child abuse and he plead guilty.

In terms of your last statement, or his kids could grow up to be child abusers like he learned from his dad by his own admission.

I don't think Peterson has any plans to hang it up. It would not make much sense for him to appeal his suspension in federal court if he was going to retire.

If he was smart, Peterson would take his punishment and stay quiet. He sounds disgruntled and angry, feeling that he has been wronged. When he talks this way, he gives the impression that he is not remorseful and is not taking responsibility for his actions. While I do believe the NFL is using him to send a message and to repair its image, I think it would be in his best interest to serve his punishment and stay out of the news until next April. Filing a lawsuit against the NFL will not help him get on the field any sooner.

So you equate parental discipline to slavery?

You must be a Democrat.

So what you're saying is that not only do you think your own argument is completely invalid, because when applied to various other situations you argue against it, but you also managed to piece together one of the single dumbest posts I've ever read on this board.

Bravo sir. Bravo.

As a non-American, this is exactly the kind of deductive reasoning we expect from those crazy Republican types. Not that all republicans are crazy, but I digress.

Very few of us are actually anything like the parties that "represent us."

We just let the dumbest, and loudest, of us, talk the most.

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/11631/petersons-comments-show-how-deeply-nfl-suspension-affected-him

Looks like the ban has really made AP reevaluate things. He is considering retiring from football after his appeal was denied and training for the 2016 Olympics.

I'd love to see AP retire and try to make the Olympic team as a sprinter.....    just for the laughs it would provide!

He's not even close to qualifying for the Olympic Trials,  much less make the squad (top 3 in each event)

And since he posted those times back in H.S. he's gotten bigger and stronger -- great for football -- but that, plus his injuries, are not great for sprinting.

He's clueless to try this.....   completely clueless.    I wonder what planet he's living on these days?!?    :scratch:    :loco:    :facepalm:

What do you mean it was not child abuse then? I have some news for you. It was abuse then just as it is today. Political correctness has zero to do with child abuse.

that rice case changed everything, if that never happened, he wouldve been repealed. Rice can come back, but not AP? He should take it to the government level then like Rice did...

I think physical punishment may have a place in raising a child (I'm not a parent so I can't say).  However, there are some forms of acceptable physical punishment, like spanking, and other forms that aren't acceptable, like hitting with a tree branch.  Furthermore, hitting a kid is one thing, but hitting the kid so hard that you make him bleed, that's a completely different story in my opinion.

that rice case changed everything, if that never happened, he wouldve been repealed. Rice can come back, but not AP? He should take it to the government level then like Rice did...

Big difference though with Rice is the NFL already had punished him for his offense and then the video came out and they changed the punishment. He had a real case. AP does not. The NFL never punished him except for putting him on the commish list where he could not play but got paid. They waited for the justice system to run and then gave out its punishment.

I'd love to see AP retire and try to make the Olympic team as a sprinter.....    just for the laughs it would provide!

He's not even close to qualifying for the Olympic Trials,  much less make the squad (top 3 in each event)

And since he posted those times back in H.S. he's gotten bigger and stronger -- great for football -- but that, plus his injuries, are not great for sprinting.

He's clueless to try this.....   completely clueless.    I wonder what planet he's living on these days?!?    :scratch:    :loco:    :facepalm:

It was a ridiculous statement. Kind of a cheap shot IMO at Olympians who train their whole lives for him to stay he could just walk off the football field at age 30 and compete with them much less win.

It seems as though he was almost saying it out of spite. "Well, if I can't play football then I will take my talents to the Olympics."

I'm just 24 and the entire time I was growing up it was common for parents to whip their kids. Even my Elementary School was still whipping students in the late 90's. So I wont say AP abused his son. I am amazed how much things have changed in the last 15-20 years though. I don't think this would have been that big of a deal back then.

As a far right fellow on the political spectrum all's I can do is laugh at the stupidity of these posts...

That explains your 7192 posts.