Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Run Game?

Flash7

On most teams he would be a third stringer..

...and on most teams Castonzo would be the only starter from the Colts line.  The way Cherilus is playing he wouldn't start.  Even though he has in the past, his play right now isn't worthy of a starter spot.  Neither is Mewhort, Harrison, or Thornton good enough to start on a lot of other teams.  So don't just put the blame on Trent.  BTW look at his numbers compared to most of the fans beloved Boom from this past week.  I haven't heard a peep out of the people who made it such a big deal the previous week.  Booms 3.25 yards against the Browns must mean more than Trent's 3.3 YPC in other games huh?  It's funny how that works isn't it? 

Temperature has no correlation with snow, that is precipitation.  Ive seen plenty of games where it is in the teens or single digits in Denver, and not -10 to -20 in the other cities.  I know NE and GB are colder but I wouldn't say 20-30 degrees colder on "average".   That's a huge difference.  Im not disagreeing with you by saying Denver isn't one of the worst, but by no means is it ideal weather conditions.  Cold and hot are merely opinions.  You ask somebody from Siberia if Green Bay is cold and they will say not so much, depends on your point of view.  For normal human beings Denver is cold weather in December and January though.

That's the reported weather averages.  I mean, I agree that it's not ideal conditions.  I just think that there's "cold" and "bitter cold."  I would throw GB in that category for sure and probably NE.  But I don't think I could put Denver in there.  Like you said, it's all relative anyway.

...and on most teams Castonzo would be the only starter from the Colts line. The way Cherilus is playing he wouldn't start. Even though he has in the past, his play right now isn't worthy of a starter spot. Neither is Mewhort, Harrison, or Thornton good enough to start on a lot of other teams. So don't just put the blame on Trent. BTW look at his numbers compared to most of the fans beloved Boom from this past week. I haven't heard a peep out of the people who made it such a big deal the previous week. Booms 3.25 yards against the Browns must mean more than Trent's 3.3 YPC in other games huh? It's funny how that works isn't it?

I would disagree with you about Castanzo. He wouldn't start for any team besides us. Gosder and Thornton have played hurt this season. Mewhort and Harrison are rookies so they're play is going to lack quality each snap.

Okay a lot of good ideas here. Let me try and clarify something, our team, the Colts run a "West Coast Offense". That means the passing game is part of the running game, just that our backs aren't experienced enough to run the screens properly yet. This is why we need an established back like Rice. Also, we are trying to get a lead early in games by passing the ball and then eat up the clock in the second half by running the ball and moving the chains. That just hasn't been happening lately and I wish we had another Edgerin James.

I would disagree with you about Castanzo. He wouldn't start for any team besides us. Gosder and Thornton have played hurt this season. Mewhort and Harrison are rookies so they're play is going to lack quality each snap.

Castonzo isn't that good, but he is an average LT.  Gosder is usually good but like you said he is playing injured this season, and I think that has alot to do with it, but the way he is currently playing he wouldn't start for anybody.  Thornton really isn't that good.  He is a true backup.  Unfortunately Thomas has been out 2 seasons in a row.  I also agree with you about Mewhort and Harrison being rookies, but it doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't start.  Cant use experience as an excuse, because our coaches put us in that situation to depend on them.  Mewhort maybe could start for other teams but there are plenty of other guards out ther that are better. 

My whole point was that people want to blame Trent about his "lack of play", but rushing starts up front.  If that piece isn't there, then you can't hold a RB accountable if they struggle at times.  Some players have decent games while others struggle and it can flip flop from week to week.  Other statements about other running backs doing well or opinions on last season, should be dismissed as well, because A.  We haven't had a power back besides Trent the last 2 seasons (different running styles=different production.  Cant compare Bradshaw, Brown, or Herron, to Trent) and B.  Last year's O line was worse than it is now.

On a side note...is anyone else tired of using multiple Backs instead of giving Boom or Trent 20-25 carries and seeing what they can do? If neither can gain sufficient yards on those amount of carries fine but staff is trying so hard to cut there carries down the middle even  when one is running well (Like Trent has 3-4 times this season) he gets so many few carries he cant take advantage of it, I think staff needs to turn one of these guys loose, And if they continue to use the 2 Back set they need to go with the hot hand

Right now they are probably so scared to death that if Herron were to get injured, please God no, that it would expose the fraud of giving up a #1 pick for a certain RB. Out of options

Denver isn't cold weather football? You realize it is the "mile high city", right? It's no Green Bay or Buffalo, but it's not like they play in a dome or down south. I think you would take that back if you were there. I stayed the night in a small town about 30 mins outside Denver this August. Woke up, and it was pretty darn cold in the morning. Even around 11 I'd say it wasn't even up to 40 degrees... In AUGUST!

I have been there many times. Yes, the weather can get extreme, but it usually doesn't last long. The sun is usually out and it's pretty mild.

Currently, he may be. I'm still not sure that we have enough of a sample, especially in consecutive series to get a clear evaluation. But I do think he has shown good vision and the ability to hit a home run.

That's correct. Insufficient sample size and inconsistency. Wouldn't it be an advantage to get a run game that is dependable for tough yards- one that is respected by opponents that makes the passing game even more lethal? Herron is doing well. Clearly he's not an all downs back nor should he be expected to be. There always seems to be hesitancy and lack of conviction when this team runs the football...Losing Ballard and Bradshaw for the second straight season has also been a major setback. I'm sick and tired of having an ineffective run game.

I'm at work but found some time to quickly look through the stats.

Here is a breakdown of our rushing stats by the running backs.

Trent Richardson  - 142 attempts    475 yards      3.34 YPC

Ahmad Bradshaw -   90 attempts     425 yards     4.70 YPC

Daniel Herron       -   50  attempts    253 yards     5.06 YPC

That's a total of 282 carries by the running backs. I am aware that there were carries by T.Y. Hilton and Moncrief that help with the run game. But as mentioned, I am concerned with how we are using the RBs. Currently, this comes down to roughly 32% called run plays.

That means that 68% of the play calls have been passes, of which, 62 times Luck has scrambled and run the ball, or has done a QB sneek, or a kneel down.

So with these numbers, I would say that there is a valid concern. Not to mention that we did have several "blow out" games where we ran the ball at the end to run out the clock, as mentioned above in another post. Overall, I don't mean to argue with you, just presenting things how I see them.

Let's compare to Green Bay for three reasons: 1) they have a mobile QB who plays in a west coast concept-based offense with very few designed QB runs; 2) GB, like the Colts, is tops in all major offensive categories; 3) GB has had its share of blow out wins this year. 

GB RB runs are 37.5% of plays (290 carries with a 4.1 YPC average). GB has run a total of 773 plays

Indy RB runs are, like you said, 31.5% of plays (282 carries with a 4.1 YPC average). Indy has run a total of 895 plays.

Indy's volume of plays is crazy, and I think that accounts for the low rush percentage. 

I guess all I'm saying is that the Colts are pass heavy, but have ran the ball effectively regardless of what most people state. I'm not convinced it's a problem, and I'm not convinced I'd want the 100 plays or so that Indy is above the league average to be heavily run based, pushing us to the median run/pass %

I don't have the stats on this but those running carries stats are extremely inflated due to us blowing a team out just passing the ball and running later on to kill the clock. That works against horrible teams, but against NE, DEN, etc... you need to have a more balanced approach. Also Nearly every running back not named trent richardson has looked explosive/effective for us. Our running game will improve by default once T rich gets less and less carries.

Trent and Bradshaw/Boom are in a near 50/50 split (TRich has 142 and B/B have 140). I'd assume we'll see Boom get more carries down the stretch, like we did at the end of the Cleveland game and last year with Brown. It seems like we agree that our run game is not bad...it just isn't the focus of the offensive. I'm fine with that and you may not be, which is OK.  I responded to a post above with more analysis also. 

I don't get the hesitation to run the football multiple times within the game.   When the D was playing really well and gaining respect around the league it was directly related to how much we were running the football and the short passing game.  We were giving the defense a whole lot of rest so they were really fresh.  I'm not sure why the coaching staff does not see this, and get back to what we were previously doing.   How did we all of a sudden become a team that is just unable to run block?  Why are we not able to adjust to whatever is happening?

You're posts are related.  One of these RBs needs to be the lead dog.  Bradshaw and TR worked because they wanted to keep Bradshaw healthy for as long as possible.  If Boom can hang onto the football, he "looks" like he should get the carries  Give him the 15-20 carries and let TR get the spot duty.  Get TR some check downs on 3rd down or a draw play or two.  He needs to feel confident and make some plays in space rather than just trying to pound him between the tackles.

There is no patience with the running game. I also think that they aren't really confident that the defense can hold up so that they can be patient.  If Hoyer can connect on a deep throw or two, the Colts were in deep _ _ _ _.

Between Boom and Trich, I would rather Trich get the 15-20 carries.  Boom has a nice burst but he goes down pretty easily at first contact and his blocking is really, really bad.  Next year, though I could Boom moving into that role, assuming he works to improve in the offseason.