Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on Asante Samuel & Pat Williams (merged topics)

coltsuser21

Bill Polian says:

NO! NO Assante for you!

I admit, its fun to shop but.....

We already over pay for Hayden. If we're healthy, we really sit pretty at DB.

I wouldnt say we sit "pretty" really. I would say we have bodies that play these positions. Maybe we sit "ok in the face" at DB.

I wouldnt say we sit "pretty" really. I would say we have bodies that play these positions. Maybe we sit "ok in the face" at DB.

Did you just equate our DB's to being "butter faces"?

You know, shes pretty, everything "butter face" is pretty?

lol......I think we look good at DB. Its just, we never see them (starters) all out there at the same time. We got that kid that we drafted last year, the one who got hurt in preseason, can't remember his name. Haven't had coffee yet.

On NFL NETWORK it said that the eagles have put asante samuel on trading block for the right price......and they said its going to be around 5 mil

I think this falls under the phrase PIPEDREAM. Corner is a strong position for the Colts and the price tag both in terms of salary and compensation to Philly means the Colts will not be involved.

ball-hawk extraordinaire

more possessions, more points

cut diem, sign asante

posted this same thing yesterday

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it. Just sayin, ain't gonna happen. I know Peyton would rather see him in Blue 'n' white.

Look its workin out perfect for us..eagles have a hold out..that holdout is a WR..were going to sign randy moss..we start our offer w gonzo and go from there..then we have moss n asante and every1 thats a colts fan says now i know how andy reid feels to have things go his way..yayyyy!!!

I think I would stop eating shrooms.

While it would be nice to see it happen, it won't. We are pretty set at corner when healthy, as mentioned previously. We have Hayden and Powers, both of which are capable starters. Lacey and Tryon are both good in the nickel, one could be used in the dime. Kevin Thomas is supposedly a good corner and Rucker would have been a 2nd round pick if it wasn't for his off-field issues.

There seems to be a lot of people who don't trust Hayden's ability but I trust it when he's healthy and I, for some reason, trust that Jerraud Powers is going to be a great corner but past that I'm not too comfortable especially with durability questions all over our secondary. I'd take Asante Samuel over Tryon and Lacey, plus I think he fits into our zone scheme well. At 5 mil I think he'd at the very least be worth the paycheck if not a bargain at that price.

That said I checked out his Eagles contract info and he had signed a six year 56 mil contract which sounds more expensive than the 5 mil originally mentioned.

I know it might be a stretch for Asante, but we all know what he can do. Pass Defense wins Super Bowls.

Pat Williams, Vikings, is still out there and i know he's 38 but he can play the NT that our defense desperately needs

i think picking up both of these guys would GREATLY benefit our D and be the final push we need for holding the Lombardi at home !!!!

Hidden

What, you mean being a GM on a Madden video game isn't like the real thing?

Oh excuse me, i didnt know u had a masters in GMology

look my team is nasty on Madden n u need to respect that

also, andy reid got rodgers cromartie and a 2nd rder for kolb..really..this trade is possible

Hidden

While it would be nice to see it happen, it won't. We are pretty set at corner when healthy, as mentioned previously. We have Hayden and Powers, both of which are capable starters. Lacey and Tryon are both good in the nickel, one could be used in the dime. Kevin Thomas is supposedly a good corner and Rucker would have been a 2nd round pick if it wasn't for his off-field issues.

when was the last time we were healthy @ corner...im waiting...yeah trade for asante

and ur also talking about how guys are supposed to be good that have never played n a NFL game

asante has 42 picks n his career

whos eating shrooms now..oh yeah me i 4got:}

There seems to be a lot of people who don't trust Hayden's ability but I trust it when he's healthy and I, for some reason, trust that Jerraud Powers is going to be a great corner but past that I'm not too comfortable especially with durability questions all over our secondary. I'd take Asante Samuel over Tryon and Lacey, plus I think he fits into our zone scheme well. At 5 mil I think he'd at the very least be worth the paycheck if not a bargain at that price.

That said I checked out his Eagles contract info and he had signed a six year 56 mil contract which sounds more expensive than the 5 mil originally mentioned.

Lets see 56 mil/ 6year = ummm = umm..... well more then 5 mil a year. yes.

I know it might be a stretch for Asante, but we all know what he can do. Pass Defense wins Super Bowls.

Pat Williams, Vikings, is still out there and i know he's 38 but he can play the NT that our defense desperately needs

i think picking up both of these guys would GREATLY benefit our D and be the final push we need for holding the Lombardi at home !!!!

Because we play a zone, we need CBs that can tackle.... Asante may be good one on one, but was actually rated the

WORST tackler in the NFL

Pat Williams for one year? For the right price.... yep, BUT he would not play NT, but the strong tackle

Because we play a zone, we need CBs that can tackle.... Asante may be good one on one, but was actually rated the

WORST tackler in the NFL

Pat Williams for one year? For the right price.... yep, BUT he would not play NT, but the strong tackle

AND.... forgot to mention RUN defense is usually equated to championships

Why people think Hayden is good that dude sucks point blank and to think keeping him and not getting Asanti Samuel is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Powers and Tryon are the best corners on the team but keep getting hit with the injury bug and this team need some players that's gonna boost the chances to getting to the super bowl and that's why Peyton said what he said because he wants to win. Having the same philosophy and doing the same thing year in and year out is going to get you one thing playoffs and that's it.

Williams is interesting, but doesnt fit the mold because he has no pass rush ability. And he will be $$$ expensive.

???? as opposed to the pocket collapsing dt's the colts have now? he would be a great fit and i'm not sure he would be that expensive.

Getting Samuel would not be good use of our very limitted resources. His salary is high and we would have to give up compensation. While Samuel has proven to be a playmaker over his career he will turn 31 this year and we have a lot of young depth at CB. The biggest reason that I don't think Samuel makes sense for us is that he is very soft. He can cover and has good hands, but he can't tackle to save his life. Actually, he probably can, he just doesn't seem to want to. In our system tackling is something the Colts Cornerbacks have to be able to do. The Eagles went out and targeted Corners for a reason this off season. He's good and will help someone, but he doesn't really make sense for us.

???? as opposed to the pocket collapsing dt's the colts have now? he would be a great fit and i'm not sure he would be that expensive.

BLOODontheTRACKS i would have to agree with you. nobody is beating down Pat's door probably b/c of his age. But he is the type of NT that we need. Minnesota runs the same D that we do and the Williams' Wall was tops at stopping the Run.

I think we could get him for Vet Minimum, which i think is 900K.

Look its workin out perfect for us..eagles have a hold out..that holdout is a WR..were going to sign randy moss..we start our offer w gonzo and go from there..then we have moss n asante and every1 thats a colts fan says now i know how andy reid feels to have things go his way..yayyyy!!!

did u watch moss play? he can't run or jump like he use to...and he was a guy who depended on his athletic ability to be successful. and gonzo couldn't fetch a bag on chips in a trade...i mean what's next? u going to throw in mike hart to sweeten the pot?

i not even sure why the eagles signed mooshie-do. they traded for DRC and have samuel...don't they need the money to sign that punk deshawn jackson?

AND.... forgot to mention RUN defense is usually equated to championships

The cliché is "Defense wins championships." But it really should be "Pass defense wins championships."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/01/30/super-bowl-pass-defense/index.html

http://footballpredictionnetwork.blogspot.com/2007/07/does-defense-matter-more-in-postseason.html

Would rather have Aubrayo Franklin from who is left, but I have no idea what it would take to sign him. Williams is pretty long in the tooth and im not sure he would really be worth even the vet min.

yea, i had seen that Franklin was still available, but i don't know if we could afford what he wants. I've seen his name listed on various sites a top free agent. If anyone knows how well Franklin plays I would like to hear it.

Would rather have Aubrayo Franklin from who is left, but I have no idea what it would take to sign him. Williams is pretty long in the tooth and im not sure he would really be worth even the vet min.

might agree with u on franklin...but williams isn't worth the vet min?? at 38 he is still 10x better than daniel muir and still better than mookie. plus he could be the ped hook up the colts need...j/k