Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caps And Jags Both Make Moves.... We Continue

Mrfox

Both the Washington Capitals (I know its hockey not football) and the Jaguars fired their head coaches as a result of their records and team performance. So it is not unheard of to fire your coaching staff mid season.... Why is Jim still here?

Both the Washington Capitals (I know its hockey not football) and the Jaguars fired their head coaches as a result of their records and team performance. So it is not unheard of to fire your coaching staff mid season.... Why is Jim still here?

It is strange to me.

After New Orleans fiasco I thought Caldwell would be fired, but nothing happened

I think (hope) Irsay waits, and changes will happen in the off-season.

Yeah last I checked, the Jaguars also did not have Peyton Manning this season, yet they managed 3 wins.

Impossible no team can win without Manning! Way to man up and get rid of your lame coach, wish we had the stones to do it,and before anyone thinks about it H**L NO, DELRIO. Maybe the jags will be the first in a long line to come hire Caldwell out from under us.

shake things up now and fire caldwell. It might light a fire under this team. Every player better realize that with these last few games, no ones job is secure next year even the coach. We need to be first in line for the best new head coach available. Pull the trigger and and show some balls. This has gone on far to long now. It's beyond laughing stock. There's a ton of coaches out there that would kill to work with manning or luck in indy next season. Find him, TODAY!

shake things up now and fire caldwell. It might light a fire under this team. Every player better realize that with these last few games, no ones job is secure next year even the coach. We need to be first in line for the best new head coach available. Pull the trigger and and show some balls. This has gone on far to long now. It's beyond laughing stock. There's a ton of coaches out there that would kill to work with manning or luck in indy next season. Find him, TODAY!

We dont gain anything

Jax just fired Del Rio....what does it prove...They are done till 2012 like us...

Polian has all ready come out and said Caldwell has done a fantastic job. He is not going anywhere and I would not be surprised if nobody gets fired.

I think at minimum Coyer and Rychleski need to be fired.

Caldwell is GONE. IF Manning doesn't come back. He has a "chance" to come back if Manning returns, AND Manning gives him the OK.

Personally, I can't see how Manning would want to come back to this team as is. We shall see.

Just because you can fire a guy on the spot, doesn't mean you should. How well have the Jaguars performed in the last, say, 10 seasons? Any division crowns or Super Bowl appearances? How many trips to the playoffs? If their front office is so much better than ours, why did they just grant an extension to a GM that has built a perpetually mediocre team? Hey, at least Del Rio was always emotional and fired up. That's the sign of a good coach, right?

We have had one horrible season in 10. We have been one of the three best teams the last decade, and the best in the last 5 (2 Super Bowl appearances for Colts and Steelers, but Pittsburgh missed the playoffs with healthy teams).

The best course of action is continuity. We will deal with this seasons' problems when a better plan is in place in February. We will also continue to be better than Jacksonville when it's carried out.

Del Rio shoulda been gone 2 years ago, and if you think the Jags are a better run org they welcome your support

Del Rio always got his team to play hard... Can Caldwell say that?

Del Rio and the Jags year in, year out ... ALWAYS gave Indy their toughest games of the year.

All that said, Del Rio probably had it coming... BUT, ... Why in the heck does Caldwell, who makes no attempt to switch anything up, keep his job?

This ORGANIZATION is VANILLA AS VANILLA gets. I'm wondering IF anyone in this org. is capable of making an adjustment.

Caldwell NEVER deserved the job in the first place. And now he is keeping the job having done basically nothing. Except, show how bad a clock manager he is?

What has Caldwell done to merit respect?

Manning's reaction to the most *ic TO in NFL history says it all.

Just because you can fire a guy on the spot, doesn't mean you should. How well have the Jaguars performed in the last, say, 10 seasons? Any division crowns or Super Bowl appearances? How many trips to the playoffs? If their front office is so much better than ours, why did they just grant an extension to a GM that has built a perpetually mediocre team? Hey, at least Del Rio was always emotional and fired up. That's the sign of a good coach, right?

We have had one horrible season in 10. We have been one of the three best teams the last decade, and the best in the last 5 (2 Super Bowl appearances for Colts and Steelers, but Pittsburgh missed the playoffs with healthy teams).

The best course of action is continuity. We will deal with this seasons' problems when a better plan is in place in February. We will also continue to be better than Jacksonville when it's carried out.

Jax has been winning more than not with ..... Leftwich, and Garrard.

Indy on the other hand has had the best QB in the NFL.

I think Jax and Del Rio have gotten a lot more out of his team this season than Caldwell has...

It is strange to me.

After New Orleans fiasco I thought Caldwell would be fired, but nothing happened

I think (hope) Irsay waits, and changes will happen in the off-season.

I agree, I think most organizations would have fired Caldwell after the New Orleans game. It was more than clear he gave up at that game. The only problem is until the season is over one of Caldwell's assistants would be promoted to head coach, and they may be even more incompetant than him. The good part is they would be excited to get the job and add new energy to the team. But I can understand waiting until the end of the season. This season is completely lost and the organization will have to wait until the end of the season to find a permanent head coach.

Del Rio has been with the Jags HC for 9 years. That's 9 years of below average play (three winning records, two playoff appearances - the last of either being in 2007). He's been under pressure for a long time. They replaced the GM a few years back, drafted a "franchise" QB last year. They thought they were trending upwards, but now they are a bottom feeder again. Enough is enough. The issue is that everybody knew he was going to be fired in the off-season so, it is pointless and uncomfortable to have him play out the string.

The Caps were one of the best teams in hockey, but failed miserably in the playoffs over and over. Now this year they are under-performing in general. They have some of the best talent in the league, but aren't playing like it. They have arguably the best player in the league, but he has taken massive steps backwards. It's reasonable to blame that on the coach, and it's reasonable to replace him now because the hockey season is LONG, and the new coach could spend the next four months just putting his stamp on the team, make the playoffs by accident, and hope to have the team playing well "when it counts".

The Colts and Caldwell are in entirely different situations, and firing him will provide no benefit other than to to placate those looking for blood. Fortunately the Colts don't resort to such nonsense.

Del Rio and the Jags year in, year out ... ALWAYS gave Indy their toughest games of the year.

All that said, Del Rio probably had it coming... BUT, ... Why in the heck does Caldwell, who makes no attempt to switch anything up, keep his job?

This ORGANIZATION is VANILLA AS VANILLA gets. I'm wondering IF anyone in this org. is capable of making an adjustment.

Caldwell NEVER deserved the job in the first place. And now he is keeping the job having done basically nothing. Except, show how bad a clock manager he is?

Twice, we are the only team in the history of the nfl to have to hire a timeout and challenge coach, so fans arn't the one who lack confidence in this COACH.

I agree, I think most organizations would have fired Caldwell after the New Orleans game. It was more than clear he gave up at that game. The only problem is until the season is over one of Caldwell's assistants would be promoted to head coach, and they may be even more incompetant than him. The good part is they would be excited to get the job and add new energy to the team. But I can understand waiting until the end of the season. This season is completely lost and the organization will have to wait until the end of the season to find a permanent head coach.

Indy knows Manning is NOT coming back, healthy or not.... The Colts NEED the #1 pick. Luck is a player, and will come right in and play well.

I'm not defending Caldwell, just saying that it won't help the Colts to fire him now unless they think there is a chance the coach they may want will be snatched up before they make a move for whoever that may be. Defending Del Rio on the other hand is ridiculous. We're talking about a guy, that while brandishing a shotgun, beat the daylights out of a Hall of Famer from his own team during the 87' strike.

Twice, we are the only team in the history of the nfl to have to hire a timeout and challenge coach, so fans arn't the one who lack confidence in this COACH.

The "Sweater Vest" should be coaching this team right now... but then.... we would win a few and blow the #1 pick.

I'm not defending Caldwell, just saying that it won't help the Colts to fire him now unless they think there is a chance the coach they may want will be snatched up before they make a move for whoever that may be. Defending Del Rio on the other hand is ridiculous. We're talking about a guy, that while brandishing a shotgun, beat the daylights out of a Hall of Famer from his own team during the 87' strike.

His teams won with physical play, .. oh and Leftwich and Garrard... :P

I mean really now, this IS a QB driven league and Del Rio at least had his team competitive.

If the team does not have the QB then YOU must play GREAT D and run the ball, or be very lucky. :D

Bottom line, we here in Indy don't know WHO has been drafting for the Jags. Because they, like Indy, are suffering the same fate. No talent.

Del Rio has been with the Jags HC for 9 years. That's 9 years of below average play (three winning records, two playoff appearances - the last of either being in 2007). He's been under pressure for a long time. They replaced the GM a few years back, drafted a "franchise" QB last year. They thought they were trending upwards, but now they are a bottom feeder again. Enough is enough. The issue is that everybody knew he was going to be fired in the off-season so, it is pointless and uncomfortable to have him play out the string.

The Caps were one of the best teams in hockey, but failed miserably in the playoffs over and over. Now this year they are under-performing in general. They have some of the best talent in the league, but aren't playing like it. They have arguably the best player in the league, but he has taken massive steps backwards. It's reasonable to blame that on the coach, and it's reasonable to replace him now because the hockey season is LONG, and the new coach could spend the next four months just putting his stamp on the team, make the playoffs by accident, and hope to have the team playing well "when it counts".

The Colts and Caldwell are in entirely different situations, and firing him will provide no benefit other than to to placate those looking for blood. Fortunately the Colts don't resort to such nonsense.

Mac, I like your post and for the most part agree with you. I would however like to play devil's advocate for the sake of discussion. The lack of any change may show to the team that the FO/organization is okay with this season, and that it's understandable that we may be 0-16 becuase we do not have Manning. If we project Caldwell to be fired at the end of the season, it would not hurt to do it now and show your team that we do expect more out of everybody, and if you do not produce there will be consequences. Otherwise, it appears that everyone gets a "free pass" this year because of Peyton Manning's abscense.

If we do not project Caldwell to be fired at the end of the season, then Jim Irsay will have to do some serious evaluation throughout the entire organization.

Jags fired coach as said didnt like he blamed losses of last 2 games on OC calls instead of accepting responcibility , though we knowall those years of losing were reason,, Sorry I dont have the link

Has anyone considered having Jack Del Rio as the Defensive Coordinator for the Colts? I think Jack would do a great job in Indy as the DC as the Jags were always a touch defensive unit. They were a defense that definitely didn't get pushed around like the colts do.

Jags fired coach as said didnt like he blamed losses of last 2 games on OC calls instead of accepting responcibility , though we knowall those years of losing were reason,, Sorry I dont have the link

1260 just has a Jax guy on and said the reason Del Rio was not fired 2 years ago was the "buy out". ....

And the fact the owner, Weaver.. wanted Tebow for marketing at least... And did not get him.

Has anyone considered having Jack Del Rio as the Defensive Coordinator for the Colts? I think Jack would do a great job in Indy as the DC as the Jags were always a touch defensive unit. They were a defense that definitely didn't get pushed around like the colts do.

Not Indy's style. <_<

But I would love to have the "sweater vest" as HC... and Del Rio run the D,

3 yards and a "cloud of dust" with Del Rio = Winning with Manning. :D

Del Rio, in 8 years, had 7 Pro Bowl Players. DT Stroud (03-05) CB R.Mathis (06) MJD (09-10) DT Henderson (04,06) TE Lewis (10) Garrard (09) ST Player Owens (10). 2 DT 2 RB a CB, and a QB (who was like the 6th replacement?).

Caldwell in 3 years has had 7. Freeney,Mathis,18,Bethea,Clark,Wayne, Saturday.

Interesting.

Del Rio, in 8 years, had 7 Pro Bowl Players. DT Stroud (03-05) CB R.Mathis (06) MJD (09-10) DT Henderson (04,06) TE Lewis (10) Garrard (09) ST Player Owens (10). 2 DT 2 RB a CB, and a QB (who was like the 6th replacement?).

Caldwell in 3 years has had 7. Freeney,Mathis,18,Bethea,Clark,Wayne, Saturday.

Interesting.

What is "interesting" is how these same so called "ALL PROS" are doing now?

hmmmm......

I think Del Rio would be a good fit for our defensive coordinator. I never liked the selection of Larry Coyer. He is the same defensive coordinator that was with denver when Peyton was TORCHING the broncos secondary in the playoffs every year and also in the regular season. I cringed when we picked him up although I will say they did ok in his first year. Overall though I im not in favor of coyer.