Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck's Not Locking

Ken S.

The first 2 games and the last 2 games have been night and day for me as far as Luck's play goes. Granted the last 2 teams we played were sub par teams, I still enjoyed watching Luck spread the ball to everyone and not locking in on Wayne and then TY only. I can't remember if it was the Bronco's game or the Eagles game, but that final possession where we needed to get a first down to keep the chains moving, it's like everyone knew he was going to Wayne regardless of whatever else was going on on the field. I know Wayne is our possession guy but we have plenty of other guys who are now capable of helping out with that role. TY, Allen and I even feel comfortable with him throwing it to Nicks whenever a big possession is needed. With all of that being said, I'm excited to see if Luck spreads the ball around against a good team and a great defense in the Ravens or if he falls back to his safety blanket and start locking in on Wayne and TY throughout the game.

Very true what everyone has stated in here. Still I would like to see how he spreads the ball today because to me it, will show if our pass game is the real deal with the weapons we have or if those last 2 games have just been due to the opponents that we've faced.

Very true what everyone has stated in here. Still I would like to see how he spreads the ball today because to me it, will show if our pass game is the real deal with the weapons we have or if those last 2 games have just been due to the opponents that we've faced.

Right now those 2 routs are flukes. Luck has been terrible today. Missed throws and bonehead passes

Luck was not good today.

No he wasn't but he pulled it back in the end enough to win and to be honest if today is his "floor" now I'm sorta happy. Obviously I'd prefer to see the Luck of the last two weeks but there you go.

Let's face it, it's not like anyone is actually going to be crazy enough to suggest we bench him...

People have outlandish expectations here... For the most part, Luck was good today.

While I agree with the first, I'd say for the most part Luck wasn't that good today. However as he often does... he did enough and made enough plays at the right times to pull us through. Like I said if this is now him on a bad day I'm pretty happy actually.

There's far worse QBs out there... 

The first 2 games and the last 2 games have been night and day for me as far as Luck's play goes. Granted the last 2 teams we played were sub par teams, I still enjoyed watching Luck spread the ball to everyone and not locking in on Wayne and then TY only. I can't remember if it was the Bronco's game or the Eagles game, but that final possession where we needed to get a first down to keep the chains moving, it's like everyone knew he was going to Wayne regardless of whatever else was going on on the field. I know Wayne is our possession guy but we have plenty of other guys who are now capable of helping out with that role. TY, Allen and I even feel comfortable with him throwing it to Nicks whenever a big possession is needed. With all of that being said, I'm excited to see if Luck spreads the ball around against a good team and a great defense in the Ravens or if he falls back to his safety blanket and start locking in on Wayne and TY throughout the game.

Very astute. I noticed the same thing today. He flowed naturally through his progressions, looked off safeties, "faked" staring down screens to one side, only to throw to the other. Much better heady play by our fearless leader. 

No he wasn't but he pulled it back in the end enough to win and to be honest if today is his "floor" now I'm sorta happy. Obviously I'd prefer to see the Luck of the last two weeks but there you go.

Let's face it, it's not like anyone is actually going to be crazy enough to suggest we bench him...

Bench him? No way. Don't get crazy. But I would like to see those bad decision stop at some point. He has to play smarter. Sometimes I think he feels like he can throw the ball through people. He has some Favre in him which is not good.

Bench him? No way. Don't get crazy. But I would like to see those bad decision stop at some point. He has to play smarter. Sometimes I think he feels like he can throw the ball through people. He has some Favre in him which is not good.

worst one for me is the deep ball seems to take the risk even if people are covered 

While I agree with the first, I'd say for the most part Luck wasn't that good today. However as he often does... he did enough and made enough plays at the right times to pull us through. Like I said if this is now him on a bad day I'm pretty happy actually.

There's far worse QBs out there... 

Explain to me how he wasn't good. Ravens were actually strong in coverage today... I saw Luck go through his progressions multiple times and just couldn't find an open man... he forced it a few times, but that is it... he was very good otherwise.

He did not fumble the ball, or constantly demonstrate an inability to correctly snap the ball... his interceptions were fairly unlucky, and will happen. If we expect perfection every week we are going to be extremely disappointed. He led two huge touchdown drives in a gritty game.

We will not score on every drive and we will turn the ball over now and then... but we win a big game, and that was in large part thanks to Luck, not in spite of him.

The Favre comment is a fair comparison at times.

The unfair aspect is that it is constantly viewed as a negative. I like Luck's aggression, it works more often that not. Favre was one of the best ever and won a Super Bowl through aggressive QB play.

Some fans may prefer the Russel Wilson style, I'm not one of them.

Explain to me how he wasn't good. Ravens were actually strong in coverage today... I saw Luck go through his progressions multiple times and just couldn't find an open man... he forced it a few times, but that is it... he was very good otherwise.

He did not fumble that ball, or constantly demonstrate an inability to correctly snap the ball... his interceptions were fairly unlucky, and will happen. If we expect perfection every week we are going to be extremely disappointed. He led to huge touchdown drives in a gritty game.

We will not score on every drive and we will turn the ball over now and then... but we win a big game, and that was in large part thanks to Luck, not in spite of him.

I think he was actually bad the first half. He really did make what looked to be a lot of throws that were off target. That said , I think he played very well the second half. If Reggie does a better job on the pick play and makes a stronger play on the almost TD . Andrew has 3 TD's and 1 less pick.

He did not fumble that ball, or constantly demonstrate an inability to correctly snap the ball... his interceptions were fairly unlucky, and will happen. If we expect perfection every week we are going to be extremely disappointed. He led to huge touchdown drives in a gritty game.

Just as a "gut feel" I thought he started well then was off for most of the 1st half and start of the 2nd half. When I say off.. his timing was off on a few throws and he started sailing a few passes. 

The two picks, fair enough the 1st is not on him, the 2nd though.. I'm of the mind he doesn't need to make the throw there but that's just my opinion and he was again very unlucky. 

You're right though in that when it counted he made the plays and I think that is strongest trait by far, no matter how badly it goes he has the mental strength to keep going.

I've said it in other posts, I guess I'm saying he played badly by Andrew Luck's standards. If this is him playing "badly" then we should be very very happy as a team.

The unfair aspect is that it is constantly viewed as a negative. I like Luck's aggression, it works more often that not. Favre was one of the best ever and won a Super Bowl through aggressive QB play.

Some fans may prefer the Russel Wilson style, I'm not one of them.

Sorry I should have expanded a bit on my response.. a comparison to Favre shouldn't be a wholly bad things as people make out. Say what you want about Favre but he's up there. 

Just as a "gut feel" I thought he started well then was off for most of the 1st half and start of the 2nd half. When I say off.. his timing was off on a few throws and he started sailing a few passes. 

The two picks, fair enough the 1st is not on him, the 2nd though.. I'm of the mind he doesn't need to make the throw there but that's just my opinion and he was again very unlucky. 

You're right though in that when it counted he made the plays and I think that is strongest trait by far, no matter how badly it goes he has the mental strength to keep going.

I've said it in other posts, I guess I'm saying he played badly by Andrew Luck's standards. If this is him playing "badly" then we should be very very happy as a team.

That is fair enough, but he is going to make some bad throws for the rest of his career... he is not a robot, he is just a very very good QB.

Maybe that was bad by his standards, based on how he has progressed as a player this season... but I would say he still looked like a top-5 QB out there today.

He had some accuracy issues at times but also made a couple of spectacular throws. And I'm really liking the way he's spreading the ball around the past few games.

One thing, I would have liked to have seen him audible to a run play a little more often on 1st and 2nd down against the ravens nickel front. I think that's something he'll learn to take better advantage of with more experience :)