Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quarterly surprises & disappointments.

SubZero

No i never said he is playing "Great" i just said i don't agree with him being a disappointment as the OP has stated. I tagged Walden as a disappointment because IMO he is supposed to step up his game in Mathis's absence. He and Werner are essentially playing equivalent right now okay but not great. also the reason i don't think Werner should have been tagged as a disappointment is because he has mad a huge jump since last season he shows awareness has adjusted to the game speed. no longer looks lost on the field.

Actually, you did say Werner is playing great. and I can't agree that Werner and Walden are playing equivalent.....Werner is practically invisible on the field.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Richardson is a disappointment at all. He's looked considerably better this season. Let's keep in mind that this is not the 1973 Bills offensive line that blocked for 3,000 rushing yards. This is still an average at best line. Trent (as well as the other backs) are still being hit by one or two guys behind the line a few times a game.

Even with that, I'd say Trent is having a pretty good season. I know, people will still talk about what a bust he is and how awful he is unless he picks up 10 yards a carry, every single carry.

Yeah, I think most people would settle for 4.5 per carry. Of course, this forum has come to the conclusion, out of convenience, that yards per carry don't matter

Actually, you did say Werner is playing great. and I can't agree that Werner and Walden are playing equivalent.....Werner is practically invisible on the field.

So we are just gonna disregard the two sacks he was robbed of? one that potentially would've turned into a strip sack safety? we are five games in and Werner has showed flashes at being good he just needs the consistency. Its his second season cut the kid some slack. Walden being the Vet he is should be producing more than what he is.

So we are just gonna disregard the two sacks he was robbed of? one that potentially would've turned into a strip sack safety? we are five games in and Werner has showed flashes at being good he just needs the consistency. Its his second season cut the kid some slack. Walden being the Vet he is should be producing more than what he is.

He got a strip sack vs a 3rd string tackle in a game the Colts were up by 30......oh boy. Flashes? If you say so.

Well there have been several...but I will try to limit it to a couple on either side of the ball.

Surprise:The OL has been pretty fair and with the injuries and young guys I didn't know what to expect from them. On defense I've been very pleased with our secondary play despite the issues with our safeties...primarily the corners....I think Toler has played better this year and Davis while I knew he was good didn't know how he would do after getting paid...and he has lived up to his pay check.

Dissapointments: Primarily Nicks on offense....I was hoping he would take over that 3rd down target that Reggie filled in the past...and while he hasn't been a complete dud he just hasn't shown the old Nicks we saw in NY. On defense I would say our line backers have not impressed me a whole lot...whether it be in coverage or getting after the quarterback we just haven't gotten consistant play there.

Hopefully we round out some of those things and hopefully we continue to see some great play...overall we could easily be 4-0 with just some slightly better play and finishing some games so we have a lot of positives....and Luck continues to improve...just eliminate those turnovers and he could even be an MVP candidate.

No i never said he is playing "Great" i just said i don't agree with him being a disappointment as the OP has stated. I tagged Walden as a disappointment because IMO he is supposed to step up his game in Mathis's absence. He and Werner are essentially playing equivalent right now okay but not great. also the reason i don't think Werner should have been tagged as a disappointment is because he has mad a huge jump since last season he shows awareness has adjusted to the game speed. no longer looks lost on the field.

Werner has just 8 tackles and 0 sacks in 198 snaps.. he still looks lost and no where to be found. He hasnt adjusted to the game speed. Hes slow and is always steps away from a sack. The only way he can get close to a qb is if he goes unblocked. Point is he has been a disappointment. A big one

Shoulda woulda coulda.. even if he did get those sacks he was so called "robbed" of he would still only have 8 tackles and 2 sacks. Walden has 13 tackles and 2.5 sacks.. walden still playin better than Werner who you say is doing "great". And where are these flashes?.. can you put up a video of him showing us these flashes?

Werner has just 8 tackles and 0 sacks in 198 snaps.. he still looks lost and no where to be found. He hasnt adjusted to the game speed. Hes slow and is always steps away from a sack. The only way he can get close to a qb is if he goes unblocked. Point is he has been a disappointment. A big one

Yea and Pagano seems to think differently im pretty sure he can evaluate NFL better then you can  refer to the article http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000369533/article/chuck-pagano-colts-bjoern-werner-made-huge-jump

"He's made a huge jump," coach Chuck Pagano said, per The Indianapolis Star. "From a terminology standpoint, scheme standpoint, he's not thinking now. He's able to play extremely fast.

"We know he's got ability. The things that you're seeing, we're seeing the same thing. But again, it's all a byproduct of the time he put in in the offseason." 

point proven *Drops mic and exits stage left*

Yea and Pagano seems to think differently im pretty sure he can evaluate NFL better then you can refer to the article http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000369533/article/chuck-pagano-colts-bjoern-werner-made-huge-jump

"He's made a huge jump," coach Chuck Pagano said, per The Indianapolis Star. "From a terminology standpoint, scheme standpoint, he's not thinking now. He's able to play extremely fast.

"We know he's got ability. The things that you're seeing, we're seeing the same thing. But again, it's all a byproduct of the time he put in in the offseason."

Pagano speaks highly of everyone on the team when speaking publicly. There were times he spoke highly of Satele....... Let that sink in

You can't take Pagano's word when it comes to talking about players, he'll make it sound like our entire team is going to the Pro Bowl each year and a 1st ballot HOF

Pagano speaks highly of everyone on the team when speaking publicly. There were times he spoke highly of Satele....... Let that sink in

You can't take Pagano's word when it comes to talking about players, he'll make it sound like our entire team is going to the Pro Bowl each year and a 1st ballot HOF

Agreed Pags certainly embellishes a bit lol. but the tape doesn't lie. Compared to how Werner played last year he definitely is playing much faster and quicker. Not only did Pagano praise Werner but so did the Sack Master himself Robert Mathis tweeted about how good Werner progressed and was looking. 

Agreed Pags certainly embellishes a bit lol. but the tape doesn't lie. Compared to how Werner played last year he definitely is playing much faster and quicker. Not only did Pagano praise Werner but so did the Sack Master himself Robert Mathis tweeted about how good Werner progressed and was looking.

Let's see it in a game.

Yeah, and Peyton manning said Dallas Clark could block like a left tackle....

You are making good points and I can see what you are talking about. I am not trying to say he is horrible or a piece of garbage he just has disappointed. If you take away the 3rd overall pick status he still is basically our 26th overall pick. He hasn't really lived up to that either.

My whole thing with Richardson is I feel like some people are lying to themselves in the fact that they aren't disappointed with his out put. I think he has improved and who knows maybe he could turn it up even more later this season. Who knows. But with what the most of the media, players, and fans expected he hasn't lived up to it. For people to say they are not disappointed for in him whatsoever for his out put in indy, either means they are lying or they really thought he wasn't that good.

I will say he has potential and i really am rooting for him to succeed! If he does play as hard as he has been and improves even more this season I will gladly eat my words and admit I was wrong.

I don't get disappointed in Richardson. But that's because I don't expect much. If Reggie drops passes, I get disappointed.

When we traded for Trent I didn't know anything but stats about this guy. But in his small amount of time here I can see he has improved and it's only 4 games in. He looks more decisive. Maybe time will show if he is good or not. I don't think it's time to judge him yet. End of season. Maybe.

I don't get disappointed in Richardson. But that's because I don't expect much. If Reggie drops passes, I get disappointed.

When we traded for Trent I didn't know anything but stats about this guy. But in his small amount of time here I can see he has improved and it's only 4 games in. He looks more decisive. Maybe time will show if he is good or not. I don't think it's time to judge him yet. End of season. Maybe.

Richardson was a 3rd overall pick, and even if you dont wanna hold him to that standard then he is still our 26th overall pick this year. I just think he needs to produce like a 1st round pick.

I wont label him a complete bust. I am rooting for him also, i want him to be a top RB in the NFL. You are right he has improved and its only 4 games.

Werner needs to go,I think if he was going to do something good it would of happen now.

Landry is another one, big contract but under performs.

I think A.B. should be running the ball more then T.R.,hell even Herron should be playing more?

Yea and Pagano seems to think differently im pretty sure he can evaluate NFL better then you can refer to the article http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000369533/article/chuck-pagano-colts-bjoern-werner-made-huge-jump

"He's made a huge jump," coach Chuck Pagano said, per The Indianapolis Star. "From a terminology standpoint, scheme standpoint, he's not thinking now. He's able to play extremely fast.

Paganos known for talking up players. He talks up players then cuts them. He did it all preseason.. pagano doesnt talk bad about anyone. Plus when do you ever hear a coach really bad mouth a player.. doesnt happen

Picks up mic after you..... and pockets it

Shoulda woulda coulda.. even if he did get those sacks he was so called "robbed" of he would still only have 8 tackles and 2 sacks. Walden has 13 tackles and 2.5 sacks.. walden still playin better than Werner who you say is doing "great". And where are these flashes?.. can you put up a video of him showing us these flashes?

And there you have it Werner with 2 Sacks as i said the kid is playing his Butt off Walden was pretty much non existent tonight but you talk him up like your lord and savior

And there you have it Werner with 2 Sacks as i said the kid is playing his Butt off Walden was pretty much non existent tonight but you talk him up like your lord and savior

He had one good game.. against a back up LT. Still only has 12 tackles and 2 sacks in 236 snaps. Dont be so quick to jump on a bandwagon. Walden saw alot of double teams due to werners lack luster play the first 4 weeks. But ill give it to werner he had a great play going completely unblocked.

Walden got less rush looks today than he has the past couple of weeks and I believe that was primarily due to the Ravens ground game. He had a quiet, yet good, game today. Werner and Walden both contained the outside VERY WELL today. Most of the runs the Ravens got today were up the middle.

He had one good game.. against a back up LT. Still only has 12 tackles and 2 sacks in 236 snaps. Dont be so quick to jump on a bandwagon. Walden saw alot of double teams due to werners lack luster play the first 4 weeks. But ill give it to werner he had a great play going completely unblocked.

Rewatch both plays he got sacks on def wasnt unblock he made an outside move on the first sack and he bull rushed on the second one. Werner was also getting double teamed as well all game more emphasis the second half, but still got the job done. 

Rewatch both plays he got sacks on def wasnt unblock he made an outside move on the first sack and he bull rushed on the second one. Werner was also getting double teamed as well all game more emphasis the second half, but still got the job done. 

I"m guessing the unblocked play he was referring to was the tipped pass.  Didn't seem like he wanted to talk about the 2 sacks. lol

I"m guessing the unblocked play he was referring to was the tipped pass.  Didn't seem like he wanted to talk about the 2 sacks. lol

Lol almost forgot about that play, your're right that's the only play he went unblocked. Would've been nice if he was able to pull a JJ. Watt and pick it off for a End Zone trip. 

There is no doubt that the sack was nice. Specially the one after the bradshaw fumble. It was big time. But im just sayin i want to see more before i praise him. Im not taking anything away from him but it was against and second string.but nonetheless He did have a great game. He showed great motor chasing the rb down the feild. He did miss the tackle but showed good effort. I just want him to be more consistent. Like i said before.. hes on my favorite team, of course i want him to do good. Its not that i dont like him. Im just sayin having a good game after not showin up for the first 4 weeks hasnt all a sudden made me a believer.

Still think Werner looks lost? and where was Walden at tonight? Like i said the kid is putting in the work and effort and it IS showing.

Never said he looked lost....just don't think he is a very good athlete at this level.

There is no doubt that the sack was nice. Specially the one after the bradshaw fumble. It was big time. But im just sayin i want to see more before i praise him. Im not taking anything away from him but it was against and second string.but nonetheless He did have a great game. He showed great motor chasing the rb down the feild. He did miss the tackle but showed good effort. I just want him to be more consistent. Like i said before.. hes on my favorite team, of course i want him to do good. Its not that i dont like him. Im just sayin having a good game after not showin up for the first 4 weeks hasnt all a sudden made me a believer.

and that's perfectly reasonable...as long as you at least cut the guy some slack and maybe draw back the criticism so long as he keeps improving. ;)  Yes, it was just one game...but that's how it has to start.  :)

Never said he looked lost....just don't think he is a very good athlete at this level.

He's definitely not as athletic as some OLB's in the league, but at the same time, Baltimore's OLB's are the epitome of athleticism either.  I do think Werner is at least as athletic, if not moreso, than Kruger and Kruger was able to be successful in Baltimore's defense.

They (Balt) and the Colts alike seem to go for OLB's that have some good athleticism to go along with a higher degree of strength than a lot of OLB's have.  I don't think either team seeks out pure speed rushers like many teams do.  And before anyone says "but what about Mathis"...I said they don't SEEK THEM OUT...Mathis was already here.  Sure they re-signed him, but I'm not sure they would have actively pursued him had he been another team's UFA. :)