Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cardinals Cheerleader Arrested for Domestic Violence

Vance

I, personally, would like to see corporate and sports leagues adopt policy where punitive measures are based upon the Clear and Convincing Evidence standard. But the days of letting only the court system thrash it out somewhere in the future has passed. Why? Because to get a guilty verdict in court, it must be beyond a reasonable doubt.  It does not mean that no doubt exists as to the accused's guilt, but only that no reasonable doubt is possible from the evidence  (that was allowed to be) presented in that intensely structured, formal, and rule laced proceeding that  (fortunately for some innocent folks wrongly accused) is slanted toward the defendant.  We need that when deciding whether to fry (OK, lethally inject) someone or not, or confine them until they pass away from natural causes.  We do not need that high of a bar level to determine if a player should sit a few games and get his pay docked for violating a domestic abuse policy.  IMHO

Based on the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised of such players arn't banned for life in the future.  

It's like I said earlier, Goodell could hang Ray Rice, Greg Hardy, and Adrian Peterson by the neck from his office window until they are dead and the national media and their outrage machine will be demanding to know why he didn't torture them first.

I disagree though.  I think for someone's first offense then reasonable doubt is important even when punishing someone for a few games.  Everyone with a clean record deserves the benefit of the doubt when these things are concerned.  

Now if you've been convicted in the past and you are charged with it again. . . then I'd support a move to preponderance of the evidence.

Ultimately this is whole new turf because no one expected sports leagues to punish this stuff, especially on a heavy basis before. 

Hope Solo's case for example pre-dates all of these cases and I heard about it when it first happened.  I didn't expect US Soccer or the NWSL to punish her, especially not right away.  But since the outrage machine has decided that sports leagues must punish players involved in this stuff and has gone so far as to drop the presumption of innocence I'm only demanding consistency with her.  

The good news is that the demands for consistency have increased in the last few days and there was even an article on MSN talking about it.  So at least some attention is being drawn to her case.  

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ultimately this is whole new turf because no one expected sports leagues to punish this stuff, especially on a heavy basis before."

Times change, we change. Society changes.  Always has, always will.  This is but one of the ways society evolves.  At some point something unpalatable  becomes too prevalent, and society begins to ask, why have we let this gone on too long without giving it attention before the courts have to decide?  Then the sides flock deep into their corners, and then slowly, each begin to come forward until there is a meeting in the middle to handle these things there on out.

I feel a 75% Clear and Convincing standard is fair.  If 3 out of 4 see the evidence at hand and says yes, I really believe that they did that, then so it be recorded.

"Ultimately this is whole new turf because no one expected sports leagues to punish this stuff, especially on a heavy basis before."

Times change, we change. Society changes.  Always has, always will.  This is but one of the ways society evolves.  At some point something unpalatable  becomes too prevalent, and society begins to ask, why have we let this gone on too long without giving it attention before the courts have to decide?  Then the sides flock deep into their corners, and then slowly, each begin to come forward until there is a meeting in the middle to handle these things there on out.

I feel a 75% Clear and Convincing standard is fair.  If 3 out of 4 see the evidence at hand and says yes, I really believe that they did that, then so it be recorded.

Unfortunately I feel that when those thing happen at a slower pace it's a good thing.  When those thing happen at a fast pace like this has then it's a bad thing because it becomes a sort of moral panic.  

Honestly if I had my way about it we wouldn't do crap until the media stopped cover it and the public's attention went to other things, then the adults could get together and talk.

For the first offense the NFL used to wait until the trial was completed.  (They would punish sooner on a 2nd offense if you've already been found guilty once and I think that's ok)

But with Adrian Peterson the moral outrage machine went into overdrive and they didn't want to wait for a trial.

Therefore if the accusation is enough for a suspension she needs to go.  Along with Hope Solo.

Yeah the NFL shouldn't be making decisions based off fans opinions of this especially considering there are fans who ya damn well know have done the same thing or has been in trouble with the law a time or two in there own right...We are talking about millions of fans here, Its common sense that your going to get quite a few out of that millions that are no angels. Im all for justice being served but that justice don't and should never come from or never should come from some fans, Would you trust fans who on a weekly basis on Sundays get completely irrational at times watching a football game (Proof of that is all over these forums). The world would be a better place if people policed there own morals

Posted · Hidden by Superman, September 25, 2014 - personal spat, insults
Hidden by Superman, September 25, 2014 - personal spat, insults

Do you always insult people and make yourself look ignorant?

No, but insulting you and making you look ignorant is very easy to do. Now go kick your dog.

I thought I was on your ignore list mr grinch? I'm guessing you are going to private message me again and tell me to F off. CAN'T WAIT

I think it started when you out and out insulted him by telling him to grow a set of balls. I think your mindset is stuck in another time zone.

No, I insulted another forum member who has made his feelings known on this subject in a previous thread. I know you're not the sharpest, but try to keep up.

No, I insulted another forum member who has made his feelings known on this subject in a previous thread. I know you're not the sharpest, but try to keep up.

It wasn't even an insult it was a same old tired phrase used by people for years who have no logic, facts or argument and so they try to win by a ridiculous attempted shaming tactic.  

However see adults don't really care what you think about them.  They tend to prefer logical arguments.

And for the record the blow proves that my "pair" is in fact fully grown.  

Meet Jacob

10365718_10100496329490602_7942862629165

And Hannah

10629770_10100511157130892_7776032791918

This story was minor news here in Phoenix when it was first reported over a year ago and later when charges were dismissed. I am much more concerned about how we will do this year without Bruce Arians as acting head coach and OC. Not sure if Hamilton will be a good OC given his love of the power running game.

I have a friend in New Orleans who's daughter was a cheerleader from 2007 and 2008, and from what I know of, i don't think they are on contract with the NFL, because her daughter had to pay out of her pocket for the uniforms. I don't know all the details and this was 7 years ago, so it may have changed by then.

Pay out of pocket? wow.. That's not much of a deal..

You've got to really love cheerleading to do that

Pay out of pocket? wow.. That's not much of a deal..

You've got to really love cheerleading to do that

I maintain the main benefit of being an NFL cheerleader is standing on the sidelines of NFL games.

How much does it cost to get a front row seat?  These girls have a better view then that.  

But monetarily it's of no real benefit.  Low wages and minimum hours.  

Man, that video was surreal... that couldn't have been the first time that guy saw that side of this woman. There had to have been signs. I've had my share of run-ins with crazies (though not recently, of course) and I can't understand why the boyfriend didn't just get up and leave. 

Any-hoo, I think I'll pick up some flowers for Mrs. GoPats on the way home. Or ice cream. Or both.  ;)

It wasn't even an insult it was a same old tired phrase used by people for years who have no logic, facts or argument and so they try to win by a ridiculous attempted shaming tactic.  

However see adults don't really care what you think about them.  They tend to prefer logical arguments.

And for the record the blow proves that my "pair" is in fact fully grown.  

Meet Jacob

10365718_10100496329490602_7942862629165

And Hannah

10629770_10100511157130892_7776032791918

Poor kids have a wuss for dad