Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fire Pep

Jeff Tolle

We've played two of the worst teams in the NFL over the last few weeks, so let's take that into account, and you better bet that matters. 

I liked Arians approach because it emphasized our strengths (passing) and devalued our weaknesses (run game). We aren't stretching the field well with Pep's offense. 

That being said, there's nothing wrong with objective conversation about our teams less flattering issues. Whether these opinions are necessarily accurate or not, we should still be respectful and not mock others for honest criticism. Demanding a coach get fired after 2 close games is ridiculous, I agree. But people are reacting the same to those such comments as they are to critique? It's not right. 

Pep's offense looks great when executed, and perhaps our players just need to execute as they should and Pep would become a unanimous hero here. 

They put up numbers again the Broncos but came up short after a bad first half. Luck still had 100 more yards than that other guy who shall not be named.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting that you feel attacked over this and you believe it unfair.

I said I preferred Arians offense and I got raked over the coals for being "negative". And that post is a week old. .....so......

And a post about how good our offense was today got closed.    By you.

I cannot close anything. Baiting IS trolling, that is why my posts weren't deleted so the thread could stay up and the thread was ultimately closed.

Blueshoe had NO intent to rile anybody up. He/she was just being funny, I get that. But others would've spilled in there to fight if I hadn't taken objection and seen the thread ultimately closed. Blueshoe is a good dude, and I hope he/she knows I wasn't mad at him/her. I am just a bit irritated at the flippant homerism causing as many fights as the hater posts. 

I'm not going to continue that conversation in this thread. I said my peace. Now say your's but I won't reply because I don't particularly enjoy fighting with fellow fans. 

It would be something alright & I'm not sure it would be the good kind of something. Andrew Luck would be heaving everything down field while his completion percentage would probably be a lot lower and while Pep deserves some criticism for his game plans like the one against the Eagles they have stepped things up in subsequent weeks. Luck & company are on a roll putting up solid number against anyone.

Hard to argue any of that. Good points. 

We've played two of the worst teams in the NFL over the last few weeks, so let's take that into account, and you better bet that matters. 

I liked Arians approach because it emphasized our strengths (passing) and devalued our weaknesses (run game). We aren't stretching the field well with Pep's offense. 

That being said, there's nothing wrong with objective conversation about our teams less flattering issues. Whether these opinions are necessarily accurate or not, we should still be respectful and not mock others for honest criticism. Demanding a coach get fired after 2 close games is ridiculous, I agree. But people are reacting the same to those such comments as they are to critique? It's not right. 

Pep's offense looks great when executed, and perhaps our players just need to execute as they should and Pep would become a unanimous hero here. 

Let's say we did play 2 of the worst teams over the past 2 weeks. How many yards would be enough for you? How many points would make you happy? What could Arian's have done better?

You say that Pep is not using our strengths and you claim that strength to be passing. Let's say that passing is our strength. Could Arian's have done better than:

60 completions, 80 attempts, 75% completion rate, 763 yards, 8 touchdown passes, and only 1 interception over the past two weeks?

Add in 249 yards rushing over the past 2 weeks.

Sounds to me like you are complaining just to complain.

Come on - Jags and Titans are going to have 40 put up against them a lot this year!

TR 20 carries and t2.4 YPC I bet that threat really opens up the passing lanes for Luck .... LOL!

The Titans have had 40 put up against them a grand total of ONCE this year and that was today, and Jacksonville has had that happen twice. The passing lanes have been there which is pretty obvious fyi. N

Jesus, Santa Clause, Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man wouldn't be unanimous heroes here.

I said I preferred Arians offense and I got raked over the coals for being "negative". And that post is a week old. .....so......

I cannot close anything. Baiting IS trolling, that is why my posts weren't deleted so the thread could stay up and the thread was ultimately closed.

Blueshoe had NO intent to rile anybody up. He/she was just being funny, I get that. But others would've spilled in there to fight if I hadn't taken objection and seen the thread ultimately closed. Blueshoe is a good dude, and I hope he/she knows I wasn't mad at him/her. I am just a bit irritated at the flippant homerism causing as many fights as the hater posts. 

I'm not going to continue that conversation in this thread. I said my peace. Now say your's but I won't reply because I don't particularly enjoy fighting with fellow fans. 

No worries.

We're cool.    A good day by the Colts should be followed by a good day from the fans.....

It's all good.....   :thmup:

I liked the Arians offense. That's all my post was meant to portray, that I saw it enabling Luck toward his strengths. I said nothing against the Pep offense, and have since come to be quite intrigued by Pep's vision of our offense. Sure helps when the players execute.

BTW: To some other posters from another thread; This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. I gave an honest, level headed opinion about a perceived shortcoming (right or wrong) and was attacked for it. THIS....this is why I got irritated earlier. 

Is that really your honest opinion?

I have to ask, because for the life of me, I cannot understand how anyone could complain about 1,027 yards of offense, 58 first downs, and 78 (offensive) points over the past 2 weeks.

Luck over the last 2 weeks:

60 completions, 80 attempts, 75% completion rate, 763 yards 8 touchdown passes, and only 1 interception

Plus we have rushed for 249 yards over the past 2 weeks.

You are right, you can have an opinion. However, how much complaining about what our offense has done over the past 2 weeks can be respected?

You say that we played bad teams. Then didn't we do to bad teams what great teams are supposed to do?

Your opinion is not level headed. And if you take a moment to really think about everything then you will realize it. 

The Titans have had 40 put up against them a grand total of ONCE this year and that was today, and Jacksonville has had that happen twice. The passing lanes have been there which is pretty obvious fyi.

Its the fourth game corgi!  I said they would have 40 put up against them a lot this YEAR!!! 

Jaguars 2/4 times for 40+  and 30+ the other 2x - they WILL have 40 put up on them a lot this year!

Titans 1/4 times now 40+, 26, 26, & 33 the other three games!  They WILL have 40 put up on them a lot this year!

Passing lanes were there because both the Jags and Titans are pretty bad teams!   FYI  - anything less than a blow out of either of these past two opponents would certainly have been a much bigger story!

If the Colts put up 40 next week and hold the Ravens under 20 - then us fans can claim we aren't simply being homers. 

You say that we played bad teams. Then didn't we do to bad teams what great teams are supposed to do?

YES - we did exactly what we should have done - so why would that be something worthy of over hyping the result?

Let's say we did play 2 of the worst teams over the past 2 weeks. How many yards would be enough for you? How many points would make you happy? What could Arian's have done better?

You say that Pep is not using our strengths and you claim that strength to be passing. Let's say that passing is our strength. Could Arian's have done better than:

60 completions, 80 attempts, 75% completion rate, 763 yards 8 touchdown passes, and only 1 interception over the past two weeks?

Add in 249 yards rushing over the past 2 weeks.

Sounds to me like you are complaining just to complain.

Stats are for Fantasy owners. I'm interested in two things with offense; 

1) Winning

2) Consistency

You think I'm upset about our production, I'm not. I'm concerned that our approach may not be the best, and just conversated about it. 

Your perception (and others) that people only complain for the sake of hate, is misguided and part of the problem I'm highlighting. Sometimes people complain due to genuine worry over perceived shortcomings, be they true or not. I admittedly raised an eyebrow when we choked to Philly. We beat the pants off the Jags, didn't exactly blow me away, as I'm aware we could've had a John Madden video game calling suggested plays for us and STILL have opened that can of whoop 'butt. 

Similar to my declaration that I fear Werner to be a bust (off season). I merely gave an opinion that I see nothing particularly worthy of anything higher than a 6th round pick on Werner's regard. But.....some people just saw me hating on Werner, they didn't conceive that I was just postulating a conversation as to whether or not I'm right. 

I NEVER want to be right when pointing out perceived shortcomings with my team, ever. I want to be wrong anytime I point out something of concern. 

Come on - Jags and Titans are going to have 40 put up against them a lot this year!

TR 20 carries and 2.4 YPC I bet that threat really opens up the passing lanes for Luck .... LOL!

Well being that we have been running the ball well, yes it does open up the passing game. Cause teams will be hearing up to stop our run game. Tenn played the run much better from what I've seen. Cause pass d and pass rush is were they have been excelling at. Dallas ran the ball down their throat and we have been running the ball well so I think they tried to take away our run.

Pep called a very good game overall as he has all year, IMO. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Agreed. Our players haven't consistently executed, and I hope this is just due to the increased rust we've seen from many teams in the first few weeks since the new CBA went into effect. Pep's offensive vision was realized i against poor opponents, and could just as well manifest against greater teams if these boys execute. 

Yet some still complain.

What's funny here; With all the heat I'm taking for being a complainer, I haven't complained once today. Not once. Not about our team (other than a wisecrack about Werner). I think some are just a bit too sensitive. As should be apparent by witnessing a guy (me) get drummed for complaining when I haven't complained at all. 

This all started when a clumsy poster decided to dredge up what he thought was a complaint when I said I preferred Arians. 

What did this poster miss? The two posts I made BEFORE that;

http://forums.colts.com/topic/31199-fire-pep/?p=888949

ruksak;

"Players need to execute in order for Pep's vision to be properly judged. We've seen how well Pep's offense can function when players execute. Conversely, it matters not who the OC is, if the players cannot execute, it looks really bad."

http://forums.colts.com/topic/31199-fire-pep/?p=888973

ruksak;

"'ll take the Dungy approach, thank you very much. "We aren't changing a thing. We just need to execute better". 

When I see overthrown balls, backs missing blocking assignments, wide open receivers being ignored etc etc....It's really hard for me to think that the problem is the scheme preventing players from execution. They just need to do their jobs. "

I believe I'm owed an apology. 

Stats are for Fantasy owners. I'm interested in two things with offense; 

1) Winning

2) Consistency

You think I'm upset about our production, I'm not. I'm concerned that our approach may not be the best, and just conversated about it. 

Your perception (and others) that people only complain for the sake of hate, is misguided and part of the problem I'm highlighting. Sometimes people complain due to genuine worry over perceived shortcomings, be they true or not. I admittedly raised an eyebrow when we choked to Philly. We beat the pants off the Jags, didn't exactly blow me away, as I'm aware we could've had a John Madden video game calling suggested plays for us and STILL have opened that can of whoop 'butt. 

Similar to my declaration that I fear Werner to be a bust (off season). I merely gave an opinion that I see nothing particularly worthy of anything higher than a 6th round pick on Werner's regard. But.....some people just saw me hating on Werner, they didn't conceive that I was just postulating a conversation as to whether or not I'm right. 

I NEVER want to be right when pointing out perceived shortcomings with my team, ever. I want to be wrong anytime I point out something of concern. 

If you expect to win every game then you are not asking for realistic expectations. We played 2 of the best teams in the NFL in the first 2 weeks, and had a chance to win both of them. We just fell short. And the first few games of the season are always flaky anyway.

It seems like you are cherry picking to find reasons to complain. 

If you want winning and consistency, then the Colts have given that to us over the past 2 weeks. 

I do find it funny that you give a back-handed comment to Fantasy Football, yet attempt to use Madden to prove a point. But that is besides the point.

We can always find something to improve on. That said, there has been no reason to bring (what would have been with) Arian's into the mix. The only reason a person would do that is to cause conflict. Pep has done a great job, and the numbers prove it.

You have given me no reasons to take your opinions seriously. At this time, I have no choice but to think of you as someone who is not serious about making posts on this board, and that you are only here to create controversy. 

What's funny here; With all the heat I'm taking for being a complainer, I haven't complained once today. Not once. Not about our team (other than a wisecrack about Werner). I think some are just a bit too sensitive. As should be apparent by witnessing a guy (me) get drummed for complaining when I haven't complained at all. 

Oh for goodness sake,  you really, really have to give this up.

The exact opposite is true and you saying day is night and night is day just doesn't make it so.

Just let it go as you said you were going to in a post to me about half an hour ago....

We can always find something to improve on. That said, there has been no reason bring (what would have been with) Arian's into the mix. The only reason a person would do that is to cause conflict. Pep has done a great job, and the numbers prove it.

You have given me no reasons to take your opinions seriously. At this time, I have no choice but to think of you as someone who is not serious about making posts on this board, and that you are only here to create controversy. 

Answer my post above. I complimented and defended Pep BEFORE the post where I said I prefer Arians. What we see here is called OBJECTIVITY. Point being, the poster that wanted to get in my face about my Arians comment didn't notice that I defended Pep and showed support. You see how this looks, right? 

I do find it funny that you give a back-handed comment to Fantasy Football, yet attempt to use Madden to prove a point. But that is besides the point.

:slaphead:

I didn't use Madden to make a point. I used it to exaggerate a point facetiously. You should not have understood that any other way. 

Just let it go as you said you were going to in a post to me about half an hour ago....

I only meant that I'm dropping the conversation about the other thread. This thread seems appropriate for conversation of this nature. 

The exact opposite is true and you saying day is night and night is day just doesn't make it so.

Prove it. Find one comment I made today about our team's play (today) that could be taken as a complaint. Hint; There isn't one, I never did that. 

That is just not true.

Do you know what complaining is? Because you have done a lot of it today. Any one who is paying attention has noticed that. 

You are getting pounded on because you have made several complaints that are not backed up with any logical sense. What I find funny is that you are complaining about getting pounded on (for complaining), yet claim to not be complaining. 

Like I sad, at this time, I cannot take you seriously. 

Answer my post above. 

Quote my entire post and I will. 

This is the part I am talking about with you cherry picking, and why I cannot take you seriously. 

If you want to quote me then please quote everything I said. Then I will do my best to give you a full and honest answer.

That is just not true.

Do you know what complaining is? Because you have done a lot of it today. Any one who is paying attention has noticed that. 

You are getting pounded on because you have made several complaints that are not backed up with any logical sense. What I find funny is that you are complaining about getting pounded on (for complaining), yet claim to not be complaining. 

That is just not true.

Yep. Complaining about you, and unless you play for the Colts, my point stands. I haven't complained once about our teams play today, not even close. 

As a matter of fact, this all got started here in this thread today because some random poster took a shot at me for preferring Arians offense. But he totally missed the two posts I made before that showing nothing but support for Pep. 

http://forums.colts....e-pep/?p=888949

ruksak;

"Players need to execute in order for Pep's vision to be properly judged. We've seen how well Pep's offense can function when players execute. Conversely, it matters not who the OC is, if the players cannot execute, it looks really bad."

http://forums.colts....e-pep/?p=888973

ruksak;

"'ll take the Dungy approach, thank you very much. "We aren't changing a thing. We just need to execute better". 

When I see overthrown balls, backs missing blocking assignments, wide open receivers being ignored etc etc....It's really hard for me to think that the problem is the scheme preventing players from execution. They just need to do their jobs. "

After making those comments, some knucklehead wants to try and get in my face over a perceived shot at Pep. It's not there, it's fantasy spawned from homerism. 

:slaphead:

I didn't use Madden to make a point. I used it to exaggerate a point facetiously. You should not have understood that any other way. 

Yes. You discarded fantasy football because you thought it helped you make a point, and thought it gave the numbers (proof I gave you) less credibility. Then you use Madden to help make what you said make any sense. 

It is not logical man. Nothing you are saying has been logical to me.

And please stop cherry picking my post. Respond the whole post. I promise that in return, I will answer with a full and honest opinion.

And instead of this thread being about Pep it turns into all out debate/argument/fight...Yet another thread doomed

It's still about Pep. 

You have to see why this is odd. I made a comment a week ago suggesting that if we were in Arians 3rd year as OC, we'd be absolutely blowing the doors off the league, and potentially undefeated. That was the inference. I didn't say Pep is doing it wrong. I didn't say we're doomed due to Pep. As a matter of fact, I fully, 100% supported Pep (clearly) before making the Arians comment, as has been documented. 

I clearly wasn't complaining, only showing pondering over what may have been. 

It's still about Pep. 

You have to see why this is odd. I made a comment a week ago suggesting that if we were in Arians 3rd year as OC, we'd be absolutely blowing the doors off the league, and potentially undefeated. That was the inference. I didn't say Pep is doing it wrong. I didn't say we're doomed due to Pep. As a matter of fact, I fully, 100% supported Pep (clearly) before making the Arians comment, as has been documented. 

I clearly wasn't complaining, only showing pondering over what may have been. 

Nothing wrong with ya wanting Arians in my opinion....He had some great qualities in my opinion. Do I necessarily agree in wanting him back? No but your opinion is as good as anyone elses

Nothing wrong with ya wanting Arians in my opinion....He had some great qualities in my opinion. Do I necessarily agree in wanting him back? No but your opinion is as good as anyone elses

To be clear, I was just inserting that Arians IS awesome, and that's no slight to Pep. 

A convincing performance against Baltimore should kill much of this anti-Pep conversation. 

I only meant that I'm dropping the conversation about the other thread. This thread seems appropriate for conversation of this nature. 

Prove it. Find one comment I made today about our team's play (today) that could be taken as a complaint. Hint; There isn't one, I never did that. 

Your quote about Arians.    It was not unreasonable for anyone to read that as a shot against Pep.    There was more than just me who read it that way.

All of you've done is profess your innocence that you started any trouble in the thread that got closed, and then you went elsewhere and professed your were a victim because people picked on you.

Sorry,  but it feels like you've created your own version of:  Special Victims Unit:  Indianapolis

Its the fourth game corgi!  I said they would have 40 put up against them a lot this YEAR!!! 

Jaguars 2/4 times for 40+  and 30+ the other 2x - they WILL have 40 put up on them a lot this year!

Titans 1/4 times now 40+, 26, 26, & 33 the other three games!  They WILL have 40 put up on them a lot this year!

Passing lanes were there because both the Jags and Titans are pretty bad teams!   FYI  - anything less than a blow out of either of these past two opponents would certainly have been a much bigger story!

If the Colts put up 40 next week and hold the Ravens under 20 - then us fans can claim we aren't simply being homers. 

If Jacksonville keeps up the trend then they are on pace to have 40+ scored on them 8 times this year, the Titans are on pace to have that happen 4 times. Granted 8 times would be a lot, 4 not so much. You are also presenting your opinion as a fact as if you and Doc Brown have already traveled to the future and stolen Grays Sports Almanac. That's just silly and Brad Wells-esque.

If the Colts put up 21 next it won't change the fact that the offense has been putting up numbers all year. Currently Luck has 13 touchdown passes through 4 games which breaks Peyton's record of 11. He alsocurrently leads the NFL in completions, attempts, passing yards and passing touchdowns. I guess that can all be chalked up to playing Jacksonville and Tennessee. You can't play the 2000 Ravens and 85 Bears defenses every week, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Luck has been very good thus far.

Instead of making excuses and proclamations of why the Colts Offense has done what it has done, maybe step back and acknowledge the accomplishments without trying to add asterisks to everything. You just come across as whiny, uninformed, and infantile.

"FYI" (to quote you) had the Colts won the past two games by a combined 6 points the story would be the same. 2-2, second place in the division.

Hey.....   you asked.    I simply answered.

I'm happy to stop.

My comment about Arians was from last week, and it wasn't even a complaint. So there's that. 

I'm happy to have a conversation here. When I said "please stop", I meant please stop trying to insult me. I never played the victim. This trend of people jumping all over other posters for saying anything less than wonderful, super awesome comments about the Colts, is getting out of hand. 

My comment about Arians was from last week, and it wasn't even a complaint. So there's that. 

I'm happy to have a conversation here. When I said "please stop", I meant please stop trying to insult me. I never played the victim. This trend of people jumping all over other posters for saying anything less than wonderful, super awesome comments about the Colts, is getting out of hand. 

Yeah because the trend of people going out of their way to say illogical, opinionated, combination Brad Wells/National Enquirer comments about how terrible everything Colts related is limited to one or two users. You have to have a MSNBC to combat Fox News, then you have a few people hanging out in the middle who get to facepalm and laugh a lot.

This isn't an attack on you ruksak, but  some of the posters deserve to be called out by everybody.

My apologies to you, Ruksak.    I saw the Arians quote today and thought you had made it today as well.   My bad.

As to the victim,  well,  we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one.

As for Colts fans not being happy with those who say anything negative about their favorite team?    Hey, I'm with you there.  I've been in the camp of trying to speak honestly about the team and getting ripped for it.

I just chalk that up to it being the way of the Internet world.    Fans get that way whether you and I like it or not.

Again,  my apologies to you.........

NCF

Yeah because the trend of people going out of their way to say illogical, opinionated, combination Brad Wells/National Enquirer comments about how terrible everything Colts related is limited to one or two users. You have to have a MSNBC to combat Fox News, then you have a few people hanging out in the middle who get to facepalm and laugh a lot.

This isn't an attack on you ruksak, but  some of the posters deserve to be called out by everybody.

That's very true...however, that does not mean that everyone that has a  criticism about the Colts fits into that category, just like everyone that likes what the Colts are doing aren't necessarily in the "blinded by homerism" category either.  Yeah, there are a few people so blinded that the Colts (or at least certain members of the Colts) can't do anything wrong and there are a few people who are so unhappy right now that there's nothing the Colts could do right by these few people.  But most people fall somewhere in between, and we can't let the few extremists on either side cause us to turn on each other.

He only called two blow out wins against division opponents, which allowed luck to throw 8 tds and close to 700 yards. But hey hes not utilizing luck enough, his play calling is awful and he sucks fire him for someone else in the middle of the season so luck can have 3 different OCs in 4 years. Thatll get us to superbowl. Wow