Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grades: Week 1 @ Broncos

Superman

Season opener, yaay! Let's play some football!!! Wait, down 24 points???

9ReRvb8.png

Colts @ Broncos box score

Offense, C: 70 plays, 408 yards, 24 first downs (20 passing,  2 rushing, 2 from penalty), 4/13 on third down, 2/4 on fourth down, 2/4 in the red zone, 2 turnovers, 24 points; lots of unfinished drives, could/should have been more points on the board

QB: So, Luck makes a ton of big plays for us. He also messed up several plays, threw some high balls, some behind receivers... and then there was the ill-fated goal line sneak that wasn't sneaky at all. We all want Luck to have more control of the offense, but then some of the plays that he had control over didn't go well. Still a young QB that has to get better. And at the same time, he was responsible for leading the team back from down 3+ scores, and without his big plays, this game is nowhere close. I just want him to make decisions faster, get out of the pocket quicker, and make his throws more accurately. C+

Backs / receivers / tight ends, B-: 
Running game: I think the backs were fine. Richardson missed a hole on one carry, but the rest of his carries were decisive. Bradshaw was productive with his carries as well. Just weren't enough of them, from either player. Both backs were good catching the ball and picking up yardage, and both were tough to tackle in the open field. B, if we're not done by so much, I think the run game might have factored in more

Passing game: I'd like to watch the game more, but I got the distinct impression from what I've seen that the receivers weren't getting great separation. Could be the reason Luck was holding the ball too long. Some nice catches, some costly drops. Fleener's play will be critiqued, and rightfully so. I thought he mistimed his jump in the end zone, and could have had a TD, but I didn't think the ball was very catchable. Allen started to look like himself again. Reggie had 9 catches, but I felt like he was a little rusty. The other receivers were hit and miss, especially Hilton. B-, sort of bottled up by good coverage

OL / blocking: Not bad, considering we started the newly reacquired Shipley at center, a rookie at LG, and a second year guy at RG. The tackles were really good, shutting down two good pass rushers. The book says that Luck got pressured a lot, but I feel like he invited a lot of that pressure by not getting rid of the ball (and the gameplan didn't move him around very much). Got push in the run game most of the time, but there were some mistakes that led to losses or short gains. Thornton got bullied on a pass rush, leading to a sack. C, I'm feeling optimistic about the run game, but hope Holmes comes back soon

Defense, C: 69 plays, 361 yards, 24 first downs (13 passing, 8 rushing, 3 from penalty), 7/14 on third down, 3/4 in the red zone, 0 turnovers, 31 points; got smoked in the first half, significantly better in the second half, lots of work to do

Defensive front: Did a decent job against the run. Their backs only averaged 3.5 yards/carry, and they had three carries of 10+. We didn't exactly live in their backfield, but we kept them contained and limited them to modest gains. What hurt is that we couldn't stop them on 3rd and 1, 3rd and 2... The pass rush was a non-factor until late in the game. I don't think our front failed, I just think Manning did a great job of getting rid of the ball quickly, and we weren't great at sticking with receivers in short areas, so the pass rush had little chance to get home. Sent a couple safety blitzes, and finally got home with an inside blitz, but Manning was pretty clean all night. When we finally made a play -- FUMBLE!!! -- we couldn't scoop it up or fall on it, the ball seemed to purposely jump away from our guys. Indicative of most of the big opportunities in this game. B-, good enough for a lesser opponent, needed more plays against the Broncos

Pass defense: Do I have to? Okay... Landry's coverage is bad, especially down in the box. This is why he shouldn't play SS. Jackson can't cover good TEs. Jerrell Freeman might be able to cover good TEs, but not when they are being thrown to by the best QBs in the league. Toler gets a lot of hate for the penalties, and he did blow a couple of coverages, but overall, I was fine with his play, and I think the penalties were ticky-tack. He almost had the pick in the end zone on the first possession, which would have changed things. Davis LOVES playing the Broncos, and turned in another gem. What killed us is the short passes to Thomas, one long ball to Sanders, and some brutal penalties. C-, was an F in the first half, but the coverage was much better in the second half

Special teams: Why can't we get 11 men on the field for a FG try? Otherwise, solid outing. No kick returns, virtually nothing on punt returns for them (Purifoy got a nice whack on their returner), Whalen eeked out a few yards for us. Pat punted really well, and we just missed a pin at the goal line. B+

Coaching / playcalling / game management, C (we need much more than a "C" effort out of our coaches):
Defensively, we didn't match our players up well. None of our LBs can cover Julius Thomas. Neither can Landry. Don't do this. And we played more soft underneath coverage than I'd like to start the game, which is why Sanders finished with 6 catches (including three in a row to start). But the halftime adjustments were good. I'm tempted to complain about the holding penalties, but I think that's going to take some getting used to. C-

I think the gameplan looked fine, but the play calling on early 3rd downs was poor, and there were some missed opportunities to test ourselves in the run game (like the 3rd and 1 on the first drive). Most of this game was about catching up, so the philosophy and gameplan kind of go out the window, but we started off with a no-huddle approach. I also asked for more play action, and the first play of the game was a play action pass (out of a big formation, by the way), for 22 yards. Need more play action; only five attempts in 60 dropbacks. C

First 4th and 1 should have been a "go for it." The failed sneak should be a timeout. The rest of the game management was okay. We had some no-brainer 4th downs, and the onside kick was a good call. I might have tried the short kickoff the next time. B-

Game balls:

No game balls. Get a win, then we can talk.

Next, MNF, home vs. the Eagles. Another really good offense that will push the issue, but they made some mistakes against the lowly Jags. Hopefully we can make them pay if they give us the opportunities.

GO COLTS!!!

Nice write up Superman. My favorite part: "No game balls. Get a win, then we can talk."  haha  Yep, INDY gets no blue ribbon just for participating. 

LaRon Landry continues to under impress me. How much are we paying him again? On second thought, don't tell me I don't want to get angry right now. 

" Bradshaw was productive with his carries as well. Just weren't enough of them, from either player. Both backs were good catching the ball and picking up yardage, and both were tough to tackle in the open field."

Yes, TR & Bradshaw had solid games no complaints. 

I also liked what you said about Pagano & his staff making good half time adjustments.

Maybe that's what we need to do, hire a hypnotist & make our entire starting roster believe it is always the 3rd & 4th QTR since we always seem to come alive then & make plays on the field.

It might work. Who knows...

Excellent write up as usual, I don't really plan to do any of my own write ups this year...Though that could change, Just gonna sit back this year and soak up the knowledge of your write ups and watch Rewind and make it a point to see what you see, Well done. I will probably however give input on a play I may have ran given a defenses look/down and distance/formation and so forth

I agree with most of it.  I was really unimpressed with Toler and I don't like Whalen as a returner, but otherwise, I agree.  Pep's playcalling has certainly improved, though there is still room for growth.  Castonzo and Cherilus both deserve As in my opinion; most of the time when we heard the names of Ware or Von Miller, it was Collinsworth talking about how ineffective they've been and how good the tackles have been in neutralizing them.  And play-action!  I forgot to focus on play-action.  I'll have to look at it more closely next game

I agree with most of it.  I was really unimpressed with Toler and I don't like Whalen as a returner, but otherwise, I agree.  Pep's playcalling has certainly improved, though there is still room for growth.  Castonzo and Cherilus both deserve As in my opinion; most of the time when we heard the names of Ware or Von Miller, it was Collinsworth talking about how ineffective they've been and how good the tackles have been in neutralizing them.  And play-action!  I forgot to focus on play-action.  I'll have to look at it more closely next game

I'm not challenging you 21st at all BTW. Is it his speed, vision, or ball security that troubles you or makes you feel uncomfortable? Or perhaps all 3? I respect you & you don't have to give me a concrete reason either. Maybe it's just an uneasy feeling you have about him serving on special teams. 

Perhaps, you saw something I need to be aware of. Again, I can respect if you just don't like a guy or the role he is currently serving in...I can appreciate your privacy too. Either way is fine by me. It's cool. 

Only five play action plays in this one. You didn't miss anything. But I did like that the first play was play action, and it went for 22 yards. I felt sort of vindicated...

Whalen... I don't necessarily like his as a returner, but he always makes the snag, and that's what's most important. He has a little bit of quickness when changing direction, but he's not explosive and won't break tackles or make people miss (usually). He's a safe returner, with the potential for a ten yarder every now and then. Show me an electric guy who is going to secure the ball first, and he can have Whalen's job back there.

I'm not challenging you 21st at all BTW. Is it his speed, vision, or ball security that troubles you or makes you feel uncomfortable? Or perhaps all 3? I respect you & you don't have to give me a concrete reason either. Maybe it's just an uneasy feeling you have about him serving on special teams. 

Perhaps, you saw something I need to be aware of. Again, I can respect if you just don't like a guy or the role he is currently serving in...I can appreciate your privacy too. Either way is fine by me. It's cool. 

I just didn't like his running.  He seemed to try so hard to run sideways to avoid guys that he would run 25 yards for a 4 yard gain.  I'm a big believer in running north-south as much as you can; I don't like all the sideways running and trying to avoid guys.  I think Whalen is quicker than he is fast, so he would have an easier time getting closer to guys and juking them out than running away from them.

Only five play action plays in this one. You didn't miss anything. But I did like that the first play was play action, and it went for 22 yards. I felt sort of vindicated...

Whalen... I don't necessarily like his as a returner, but he always makes the snag, and that's what's most important. He has a little bit of quickness when changing direction, but he's not explosive and won't break tackles or make people miss (usually). He's a safe returner, with the potential for a ten yarder every now and then. Show me an electric guy who is going to secure the ball first, and he can have Whalen's job back there.

I wouldn't mind seeing Moncrief returning.  As a receiver, he's likely to have reliable hands.  He's also got some good speed.  Of course, a lot of it depends on the blocking they get and even Devin Hester would have a hard time trying to return with the blocking our guys showed on Sunday, but I think Moncrief has more explosive ability.  Plus, our WR corps is pretty full, so it's not like he would be missing out on snaps as a WR.

Thanks!       :thmup:

Very good of you to take the time to break it down and write that up.

But since this is a discussion board,  I'd add that I think some of your grades are......     generous.

I see some "B's" in there in areas where I wouldn't expect.     If some of those were in the "C/C+" range I'd feel a little better.

A "B" in the running game and a "B-" for the defensive front?      I think teacher is in a good mood today and didn't want to upset the class.     Either that,  or you're grading on a curve....

Either way....    it's all opinion and we both know how much I respect yours....   so,  thanks again for doing this.

It was an unexpected treat!    Really!        :thmup:

Good write up!

Toler gets a lot of hate because he's not good and injury prone. An 11 yard cushion is unacceptable. If you need to give receivers that big of a cushion, then you shouldn't be out there. 

I would leave Fleener out of the B- category. He played a C- in my book, and that's being generous. Hilton didn't play that great either. 

Castanzo and Cherilus get a strong A. 

Wayne gets an A, maybe an A+. I think we need to target Nicks more and get him on the field more often. Waaaayyyy less 3 TE sets and get more receivers out there. 

Other than Vinateri missing the FG (which we should've went for it - and I said that before he missed it) ST played really well. 

Luck needs to quit trying to make the crazy pin point throws down the field at every opportunity. It's ok to dink and dunk sometimes, and throw to the RB's out of the backfield and let them do work. Also I know not everyone agrees, but they need to let Luck run more. It's a wrinkle that the defense needs to account for, and the kid can run...let him.

Also, we need more play action, no huddle, and screens. 

I've said this probably 10x, but Manusky and Pep need to figure out the in game adjustments A LOT faster than waiting til hafltime. THAT'S the reason we are falling in these big holes out of the gate. 

I just didn't like his running.  He seemed to try so hard to run sideways to avoid guys that he would run 25 yards for a 4 yard gain.  I'm a big believer in running north-south as much as you can; I don't like all the sideways running and trying to avoid guys.  I think Whalen is quicker than he is fast, so he would have an easier time getting closer to guys and juking them out than running away from them.

I wouldn't mind seeing Moncrief returning.  As a receiver, he's likely to have reliable hands.  He's also got some good speed.  Of course, a lot of it depends on the blocking they get and even Devin Hester would have a hard time trying to return with the blocking our guys showed on Sunday, but I think Moncrief has more explosive ability.  Plus, our WR corps is pretty full, so it's not like he would be missing out on snaps as a WR.

I think Moncrief tried snagging punts at camp. I don't know how it went, but I don't recall ever seeing him back there in preseason. I would have been okay with Purifoy, but then he muffed the punt in the Bengals game, so... I'm fine with Whalen. He secures the catch, which is 75% of the job.

Good write up!

Toler gets a lot of hate because he's not good and injury prone. An 11 yard cushion is unacceptable. If you need to give receivers that big of a cushion, then you shouldn't be out there. 

I would leave Fleener out of the B- category. He played a C- in my book, and that's being generous. Hilton didn't play that great either. 

Wayne gets an A, maybe an A+. I think we need to target Nicks more and get him on the field more often. Waaaayyyy less 3 TE sets and get more receivers out there. 

Other than Vinateri missing the FG (which we should've went for it - and I said that before he missed it) ST played really well. 

Luck needs to quit trying to make the crazy pin point throws down the field at every opportunity. It's ok to dink and dunk sometimes, and throw to the RB's out of the backfield and let them do work. Also I know not everyone agrees, but they need to let Luck run more. It's a wrinkle that the defense needs to account for, and the kid can run...let him.

I've said this probably 10x, but Manusky and Pep need to figure out the in game adjustments A LOT faster than waiting til hafltime. THAT'S the reason we are falling in these big holes out of the gate. 

You keep saying this about Toler. What about the plays he made? No credit for them? He's a good corner. We played him off early on, then switched it up, and he held up just fine. I disagree with the criticism, but you knew that already.

I try to grade units, not individual players. Fleener had some mistakes, for sure. Hilton, too. I don't know why Reggie would get an A grade, other than sentimentality. He didn't have that good of a game, IMO. He was definitely our best receiver, and had some trademark Reggie moments, but I think he still has some rust to knock off.

Definitely need to let Luck run some more. He needs to pull it down and go, and we need to put him in situations that encourage him to use his legs. We all love it when QBs are patient and go through their progressions, and Luck is good at that, but sometimes no one is open, and there's a huge void where the QB can pick up some yardage -- I think the 3rd and 1 on the first possession, Luck could have shot up the middle -- and he should go. It will open things up for his teammates. And I know most people despise read option, but it's a legitimate tool as well.

Manusky tried too many stupid things against Julius Thomas in the first half. I don't think Pep made any adjustments at halftime, Luck just played better.

Thanks!       :thmup:

Very good of you to take the time to break it down and write that up.

But since this is a discussion board,  I'd add that I think some of your grades are......     generous.

I see some "B's" in there in areas where I wouldn't expect.     If some of those were in the "C/C+" range I'd feel a little better.

A "B" in the running game and a "B-" for the defensive front?      I think teacher is in a good mood today and didn't want to upset the class.     Either that,  or you're grading on a curve....

Either way....    it's all opinion and we both know how much I respect yours....   so,  thanks again for doing this.

It was an unexpected treat!    Really!        :thmup:

I've said it several times since Sunday, I thought the run game was fine. We just didn't use it enough, by choice, and it wasn't all about the score. I was tempted to mark it as an INC. Also that grade is specific to the runners, not the offensive line. Aside from one carry by Richardson, the backs ran hard and found the holes that were available.

Same thing with the run defense. If not for a couple of plays, I think the run defense was good. Could have been better.

Thanks Superman.  As always, one of the threads I look forward to reading. I agree with much the only items I would change (if I were the one to take the time to do this sort of thing) is the QB and OL grades because of this statement, "The book says that Luck got pressured a lot, but I feel like he invited a lot of that pressure by not getting rid of the ball ".

I think that is one of the things the QB needs to do and it's something that good Qbs do well and bad QBs do poorly and it was something Luck did poorly in the first game.  So because of that I would give QB a "C" or even a "C-" grade and bump the lineman up to a "B-" to a "B".  They gave Luck time in the passing game, he just didn't take advantage of it.

Luck needs to quit trying to make the crazy pin point throws down the field at every opportunity. It's ok to dink and dunk sometimes, and throw to the RB's out of the backfield and let them do work. 

It's funny that you say this because I feel just the opposite, I feel Luck takes too many little 2 and 3 yard passes and hopes whoever catches can make something happen.

It's funny that you say this because I feel just the opposite, I feel Luck takes too many little 2 and 3 yard passes and hopes whoever catches can make something happen.

I'm okay with the dink and dunk to his RBs and TEs.  Their safe throws that are like running plays - especially when the OL can't just line-up play smash mouth.

I think the gameplan looked fine, but the play calling on early 3rd downs was poor, and there were some missed opportunities to test ourselves in the run game (like the 3rd and 1 on the first drive). Most of this game was about catching up, so the philosophy and gameplan kind of go out the window, but we started off with a no-huddle approach. I also asked for more play action, and the first play of the game was a play action pass (out of a big formation, by the way), for 22 yards. Need more play action; only five attempts in 60 dropbacks. C

I wasn't a fan of how we handled 3rd downs at all.  We had 4 or 5 3rd and shorts, came out and threw the ball every time.  I don't remember how many times we did that while in the 2 TE set, but it makes absolutely zero sense to do that.  You have to at least run the ball once if for no other reason than to keep them honest.  Otherwise, you're just defeating yourself before the ball is even snapped.

But those plays take too long to develop for our O-Line. Plus if our WR's aren't getting separation, then what's the point? 

Get Allen, or Fleener or even Wayne on a LB and get those mismatches! 

You keep saying this about Toler. What about the plays he made? No credit for them? He's a good corner. We played him off early on, then switched it up, and he held up just fine. I disagree with the criticism, but you knew that already.

I try to grade units, not individual players. Fleener had some mistakes, for sure. Hilton, too. I don't know why Reggie would get an A grade, other than sentimentality. He didn't have that good of a game, IMO. He was definitely our best receiver, and had some trademark Reggie moments, but I think he still has some rust to knock off.

Definitely need to let Luck run some more. He needs to pull it down and go, and we need to put him in situations that encourage him to use his legs. We all love it when QBs are patient and go through their progressions, and Luck is good at that, but sometimes no one is open, and there's a huge void where the QB can pick up some yardage -- I think the 3rd and 1 on the first possession, Luck could have shot up the middle -- and he should go. It will open things up for his teammates. And I know most people despise read option, but it's a legitimate tool as well.

Manusky tried too many stupid things against Julius Thomas in the first half. I don't think Pep made any adjustments at halftime, Luck just played better.

I'll re-watch the game and take notes on Toler. I remember he had a INT in his hands and dropped it, gave monster cushions, got penalized, and got burnt. When you hear his name called repeatedly, that's not good. 

Individuals make up the team, so of course they should get picked out. if one does bad/good, it pulls the whole unit down/up.

Reggie gets an A for 9 catches for 98 yards. What kind of numbers does he need to put up before you say he has a good game? 

I completely agree on your Luck running it! 

Agreed. Luck played better, but also was allowed to throw it more since we basically quit running since we were behind. 

WE NEED MORE SCREENS!! 

Good write up!

"Luck needs to quit trying to make the crazy pin point throws down the field at every opportunity. It's ok to dink and dunk sometimes, and throw to the RB's out of the backfield and let them do work. Also I know not everyone agrees, but they need to let Luck run more. It's a wrinkle that the defense needs to account for, and the kid can run...let him.

Also, we need more play action, no huddle, and screens. "

My Feelings Exactly!

All 22 is up now, That play action was great(1st play of the game), especially the design of the play taking advantage of WR on Linebacker match up, This is just being picky seeing as how the play went for 22 yards and was really a great play in my opinion but I think there was more yards to be had if Luck delivered that pass just 3-4 Wayne steps earlier where he would have room to stop and turn up field...Again just being picky and Im certainly not trying to downplay that play or find the negative in that situation, I thought it was an excellent playcall and execution

I'll re-watch the game and take notes on Toler. I remember he had a INT in his hands and dropped it, gave monster cushions, got penalized, and got burnt. When you hear his name called repeatedly, that's not good.

Individuals make up the team, so of course they should get picked out. if one does bad/good, it pulls the whole unit down/up.

Reggie gets an A for 9 catches for 98 yards. What kind of numbers does he need to put up before you say he has a good game?

I completely agree on your Luck running it!

Agreed. Luck played better, but also was allowed to throw it more since we basically quit running since we were behind.

WE NEED MORE SCREENS!!

Let's share notes on Toler.

I understand the value in grading individual players. That's not my objective with my grades, though. Too much to grade all the major players, as opposed to the separate units. But I did mention Fleener's play.

On Reggie, I gave him credit as the best receiver. Just don't think he played at an A level. Certainly not A+. That's a rare occurence, and you'd have to go back to the Packers game to see what an A+ looks like. Hilton vs. Chiefs, Bradshaw vs. Niners, Freeman vs. Seahawks... those are A+ games, to me. Wayne looked tentative and rusty on occasion, which is easily understandable.

But those plays take too long to develop for our O-Line. Plus if our WR's aren't getting separation, then what's the point? 

Get Allen, or Fleener or even Wayne on a LB and get those mismatches! 

I don't mind dump off to the RBs or TEs when nothing else is open.  And I'm not talking about chucking the ball for 30+ yards at a time just more passes in that 8-12 yard range.  It seems like Luck is throwing it for 2 or 3 yards or 15+.  And often times when he throws the shorter passes the WR's back is to the endzone forcing them to turn around and see the field before they can make a move.

All 22 is up now, That play action was great(1st play of the game), especially the design of the play taking advantage of WR on Linebacker match up, This is just being picky seeing as how the play went for 22 yards and was really a great play in my opinion but I think there was more yards to be had if Luck delivered that pass just 3-4 Wayne steps earlier where he would have room to stop and turn up field...Again just being picky and Im certainly not trying to downplay that play or find the negative in that situation, I thought it was an excellent playcall and execution

I thought the pass was a little late also.

Good write up.   My thoughts...

I think Luck deserves a B.  The sneak was bad and his accuracy could be better (as usual).  But a QB touches the ball every offensive play and has a lot of opportunities to make some bad plays.  About anytime a team is a 4th down away in the opponents territory from tying the game at the end, all of the decisions and throws must have added up to something above average.

Unimpressed with the TE play.  Fleener did nothing and Allen recovered his own fumble and was close to having another...and I didn't think he looked all that fast running down the sideline on that TD, but that's being picky. Perhaps it was them who were not getting separation.

Landry and Jackson do not appear to be worth their compensation.  Hopefully DQ will settle in and do better, but he looks physically overmatched to me, both in coverage and RB tackling.

Toler has always been a quality number two corner when healthy and showed it again th other night.  He will probably give up plays because he will get picked on a lot with Davis on the other side, so keep that in mind throughout the year.

Just looked at the coaches film. Luck definitely could have thrown the ball sooner, and it probably would have gone for an extra ten. He looked off the safety, taking him up the field with the streaking Hilton, which clearly vacated the area. That might be why he waited that extra split second. I'll take the 22 yards, though.

Also, some responded to my call for more play action by saying that play action puts Luck in danger, that the line can't hold up. He had all day on that play, no one came near him, and this wasn't any long, drawn out play fake. Just enough to create some hesitation and a false step by the LB.

I think Luck deserves a B.  The sneak was bad and his accuracy could be better (as usual).  But a QB touches the ball every offensive play and has a lot of opportunities to make some bad plays.  About anytime a team is a 4th down away in the opponents territory from tying the game at the end, all of the decisions and throws must have added up to something above average.

Unimpressed with the TE play.  Fleener did nothing and Allen recovered his own fumble and was close to having another...and I didn't think he looked all that fast running down the sideline on that TD, but that's being picky. Perhaps it was them who were not getting separation.

Landry and Jackson do not appear to be worth their compensation.  Hopefully DQ will settle in and do better, but he looks physically overmatched to me, both in coverage and RB tackling.

Toler has always been a quality number two corner when healthy and showed it again th other night.  He will probably give up plays because he will get picked on a lot with Davis on the other side, so keep that in mind throughout the year.

"I think Luck deserves a B.  The sneak was bad and his accuracy could be better (as usual).  But a QB touches the ball every offensive play and has a lot of opportunities to make some bad plays.  About anytime a team is a 4th down away in the opponents territory from tying the game at the end, all of the decisions and throws must have added up to something above average."

Luck was 11 of 15 in the first half.....73.3%....24 of 38 in the 2nd half...63.1%....Those %'s suggest he was not bad in either half but he was bad on 2nd down going 9 of 19(total on 2nd down) with 2 picks and gaining 4.79 yards per pass and 7 of 16 on 2nd down on yards 3-10 yards for 43.7 completion and 1 of his 2 picks