Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Season 1 Problems

aessma33

As I was watching the Colts game Sunday night I saw many things the Colts could improve on and many things the Colts did well.

Things We Did Well

1) Our run defense looked fairly decent.  Monte Ball and C.J. Anderson combined for only 94 yards, which is an improvement (in my opinion) of our run defense last year.

2) In the second half, our defense really turned it up a notch... I don't know what was said to the defense at halftime but boy did it work...

3) The offensive coordinator changed it up and called some pretty creative plays, which I liked... Although there was one questionable call when it was 2nd and 16 and he decided it would be smart for us to run it up the middle... That's all I'll say about that...

Things We Need To Improve On

1) Pass Defense - Although we were facing one of the best passing teams in the game today, I thought we did a pretty weak job defending the pass (in the first half for the most part)

2) Our defensive lineman need to be skinnier and more speedy and agile (no offense to them).  Even Peyton Manning was outrunning them! C'mon Man!

3) Our offensive line needs to step it up a notch. Too many times the other night did I see Andrew Luck get hurried to throw the ball before the receivers got open... Also, there was quite a few times when TRich got stuck behind the offensive line because they didn't open up a hole, although TRich did look pretty good the other night compared to last year.

As I was watching the Colts game Sunday night I saw many things the Colts could improve on and many things the Colts did well.

Things We Did Well

1) Our run defense looked fairly decent.  Monte Ball and C.J. Anderson combined for only 94 yards, which is an improvement (in my opinion) of our run defense last year.

2) In the second half, our defense really turned it up a notch... I don't know what was said to the defense at halftime but boy did it work...

3) The offensive coordinator changed it up and called some pretty creative plays, which I liked... Although there was one questionable call when it was 2nd and 16 and he decided it would be smart for us to run it up the middle... That's all I'll say about that...

1) Pass Defense - Although we were facing one of the best passing teams in the game today, I thought we did a pretty weak job defending the pass (in the first half for the most part)

2) Our defensive lineman need to be skinnier and more speedy and agile (no offense to them).  Even Peyton Manning was outrunning them! C'mon Man!

3) Our offensive line needs to step it up a notch. Too many times the other night did I see Andrew Luck get hurried to throw the ball before the receivers got open... Also, there was quite a few times when TRich got stuck behind the offensive line because they didn't open up a hole, although TRich did look pretty good the other night compared to last year.

I agree with all except the skinny linemen, I think we got fat guys to clog up the middle to stop the run. good post though

Things We Did Well

Oh, You mean the SAME problems we had entering the offseason..secondary and O line? We could have 5 HOF WR`s and Barry Sanders as our RB and it wouldn't matter

I wouldn't mistake Denver not wanting to run the ball with our Run D performing at a high level. They could have run it more, but when they did they had a couple of very good runs, including Ball's goal line TD which he shouldn't have had. We'll see how they fair against Philly. But I don't expect much. Its Sproles and McCoy they're going up against, that's a tough order for anyone.

I wouldn't mistake Denver not wanting to run the ball with our Run D performing at a high level. They could have run it more, but when they did they had a couple of very good runs, including Ball's goal line TD which he shouldn't have had. We'll see how they fair against Philly. But I don't expect much. Its Sproles and McCoy they're going up against, that's a tough order for anyone.

Out of 66 plays, they called 28 runs. That's 42%, for a pass heavy team (Denver only averaged about 40% called runs in 2013). And aside from 3 or 4 carries, including an end-around, they were pretty well stopped up.

Sproles has been a Colt killer for a long time. And McCoy is always dangerous. Plus they'll run option, a lot of play action, etc. It will be a more difficult test of the run defense.

Top 3 reasons we loss

1. Lack of pass rush

2. Bad coverage from the safeties

3. Luck was inconsistent in the 1st half, missed open WR's and the crucial 3rd and 2 overthrow. It went downhill from there.

1. Turnovers

2. We didn't make the plays when we had the chance Ball's td had him for a loss, the missed INT, not getting the fumble recovery all huge momentum changers.

3. Offense let us down I would say some of that lays on the players a lot on the OC some real questionable calls IMO. Holding Denver to 31 not sure we could have asked for more except that tackle on Ball and Davis making the INT

4. We let the guy we knew they were going to go to beat us J Thomas who didn't see that coming. There are a few Te that need to be handled as WR in my opinion he is one expecting Q to run with him is crazy.

With all that and all the injuries we could have won the game. The curse of Super Bowl Losers continues they are now 2-14 vs the spread wk 1. Easy money coming in the back door.

Out of 66 plays, they called 28 runs. That's 42%, for a pass heavy team (Denver only averaged about 40% called runs in 2013). And aside from 3 or 4 carries, including an end-around, they were pretty well stopped up.

Sproles has been a Colt killer for a long time. And McCoy is always dangerous. Plus they'll run option, a lot of play action, etc. It will be a more difficult test of the run defense.

I have watched Chip since jump street at Oregon and what he does is all set up off of the run. Again we should have an advantage Davis and Toler should be able to protect the outside without help.  we can't let TE/RB beat us in the passing game.  Thankfully the Eagles don't have J Thomas.

The thing about J Thomas is it has appeared that you can take him out of the game with a big hit or two.  I just wonder what would have happened if we cleaned his clock a couple of times early. I was disappointed we let him beat us. That was my number one thing on D was to control that guy.  Hope we get to play that team again.

Things We Did Well

So we are walking in those same old shoes...again.

That's about even then. They're not a run-first team anyways so those numbers are to be expected. I guess I was alluding more to the fact that if they were a run first team, they probably could've gotten it done. Ball alone had 23 carries for 67 yards. You toss him another 7-8 and he very well could've went over 100.

But yeah, McCoy isn't a guy you can just "stop". Even though the Jaguars held him to 74, it's really hard for him not to crack 100 yards on even the best D-Line. This should be a better match up across the board though. You can probably leave the corners on an island with their receiving corp. I'd put Vontae on Maclin, and Toler on Cooper. The LB's should be able to cover Ertz. That's how we'll have to win. They get the ball out quick so we shouldn't rely on trying to get pass rush; it'll be about blanketing the receivers and sustaining drives so we don't send the D back onto the field quick, because the tempo will have them gasses.

That's about even then. They're not a run-first team anyways so those numbers are to be expected. I guess I was alluding more to the fact that if they were a run first team, they probably could've gotten it done. Ball alone had 23 carries for 67 yards. You toss him another 7-8 and he very well could've went over 100.

But yeah, McCoy isn't a guy you can just "stop". Even though the Jaguars held him to 74, it's really hard for him not to crack 100 yards on even the best D-Line. This should be a better match up across the board though. You can probably leave the corners on an island with their receiving corp. I'd put Vontae on Maclin, and Toler on Cooper. The LB's should be able to cover Ertz. That's how we'll have to win. They get the ball out quick so we shouldn't rely on trying to get pass rush; it'll be about blanketing the receivers and sustaining drives so we don't send the D back onto the field quick, because the tempo will have them gasses.

If Ball takes 30 carries to get to 100 yards, I'm okay with that. Same for pretty much any other back. Especially when the passing game is good for 7-8 yards/attempt. Give me 3 yards/attempt on the ground.

I agree with all except the skinny linemen, I think we got fat guys to clog up the middle to stop the run. good post though

What I mean is like Robert Mathis type... He is not skinny but he is built and very muscular. He also has speed which I believe is very important for the D-Line to have to get past slower O-Linemen