Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can I Official Say...

Girlzarefanstoo

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like since 2011 season, Rivers makes a mistake that really costs his team big. Interceptions, fumbles, the botch kneel down to end the game against the Chiefs...

I think it likely that you don't watch enough to know.  Everything you mention was in a 2 year period with no OLine protection.  Not last year not the rest of his career.

please don't do that to Phillip. I'm not hating on romo but rivers I think is a clear step above romo...despite that bonehead play.

From 2011-2013, Romo has 90 TDs, 39 INT, 17 fumbles.

Rivers in that time span has 85 TDS, 46 INT, 27 fumbles.

Romo gets a worse rap, but I can remember Rivers making just as many boneheaded mistakes to cost his team, if not more.

I think it likely that you don't watch enough to know. Everything you mention was in a 2 year period with no OLine protection. Not last year not the rest of his career.

i agree with u. Up until those two years he was ice cold veins rivers. Last year he carried that team. Yes for two years he was like romo and say Eli recently but he bounced back big last year.

You just made my point.  Now research the rest of the years.  

I'm not saying over their whole careers. I use to fear Rivers. He was scary good. But if you go by the last three years, Rivers has made some really costly mistakes like Romo. Romo hasn't had a great o-line either and certainly has had as bad a defense as Rivers has had. He's had to carry his team on the back too. 

But Rivers can be the hero now so let's see what happens.

I'm not saying over their whole careers. I use to fear Rivers. He was scary good. But if you go by the last three years, Rivers has made some really costly mistakes like Romo. Romo hasn't had a great o-line either and certainly has had as bad a defense as Rivers has had. He's had to carry his team on the back too. 

But Rivers can be the hero now so let's see what happens.

Again... two years.  Go look at last years' stats.  He had an OLine.  He had a running game.  He also was 69.5% completion rate.  Sacked near the least in the league if not the least.  I believe his TD to int was about 3 to 1 last year.  You are speaking out of ignorance.  What it "seems" like and what is true are world's apart.

That's Hardwick being out.  And Royal blew the previous play - AGAIN.  This game is most on Royal.  And Gate's drops.  And defenders not coming down with interceptions.  

We didn't deserve the win.  Good wake up call before we play the Seahawks in 6 days.

tough matchup. Go get them!

Saw a lot to be pleased about for the rest of the season.  Gotta tighten up on the execution.  Receivers need to R E C E I V E the football.  We didn't play our first team much this preseason, a lot less than historically normal.  While we came out without injuries for the most part, we didn't work the kinks out.  

Let me clarify  that's it not all Rivers fault. His guys had drops. The defense could have stopped the Cardinals. But if he doesn't botch that snap, they score a field goal and the game is out of reach for the cardinals. That was a Romo-esque mistake and we all know it.

it was a bad play. Everyone knows that. No worse though than royal quitting his route giving up an int when in fg range and then resulting in cards getting 3 before the half. If u want an escape goat be my guest. Just remember next time peyton or tom or Andrew makes a similar mistake.

CONCERNS: Something is off on our oline.  I think it's likely Clary (RG) being out for the season.  He's one of those quiet, unsung stalwarts and his replacement and our center being replaced because of injury we not only got no push on our runs, we got pushed back.  

Royal was clutch at the end of last season.  He looked awful tonight.  I didn't count how many drops but at least 3.  

We stopped getting pressure on Palmer and he picked our D apart.  That last first down when we had him cornered really hurt.  Seahawks are studying that tape - we're going to see those plays again. 

Night all, nice watching the game together with you all.  

it was a bad play. Everyone knows that. No worse though than royal quitting his route giving up an int when in fg range and then resulting in cards getting 3 before the half. If u want an escape goat be my guest. Just remember next time peyton or tom or Andrew makes a similar mistake.

I'm not putting all the blame on Rivers. Just supporting my point that Rivers over the last few years has similar moments to Romo, the guy who gets crushed constantly by most fans and the media (not saying you). There's a reason Rivers and Romo aren't elite. Tom, Peyton, Aaron, and Brees don't make those mistakes when the game is won and they just have to go with the flow to win. Every QB makes mistakes, but what separates the top QBs, is that they almost never throw away games in the 4th quarter when it's in the bag.  Rivers didn't have to make a play there, all he had to do was NOT make a bad play.  I'm not saying Rivers isn't a top 10 QB. Just pointing out why he isn't in that top 4 group (imo he was there from 2007-2010) anymore.

I'm not putting all the blame on Rivers. Just supporting my point that Rivers over the last few years has similar moments to Romo, the guy who gets crushed constantly by most fans and the media (not saying you). There's a reason Rivers and Romo aren't elite. Tom, Peyton, Aaron, and Brees don't make those mistakes when the game is won and they just have to go with the flow to win. Every QB makes mistakes, but what separates the top QBs, is that they almost never throw away games in the 4th quarter when it's in the bag.  Rivers didn't have to make a play there, all he had to do was NOT make a bad play.  I'm not saying Rivers isn't a top 10 QB. Just pointing out why he isn't in that top 4 group (imo he was there from 2007-2010) anymore.

Okay, after this I'm done.  I am not a fan that doesn't see the faults in their team, QB or any player.  I enjoy discussing with people that learn and are willing to change their opinion when it's informed by the facts.  If you're not interested in doing that but only in maintaining your opinion no matter the facts, then I'm not interested in badgering you.  

You are welcome to your opinion but GO SEE LAST YEAR'S STATS.  In fact here they are so you have no excuse not to be informed:

He tied his best ever QB rating at 105.5

He had his best ever completion at 378 and highest completion rate at 69.5%

He had his second best total yardage at 4478

He had 32 TDs and 11 Interceptions (and having watched every game none were stupid throws, many were receiver caused)

He had exactly 1 fumble.

Rivers was sacked 30 times in 2013 (top 5 protection) He was sacked 49 times in 2012 (29th) Therein lies the issue, that and a deep throw offense that required much longer protection.

He's absolutely the reason our team made the incredible comeback last year to make the playoffs and then won against the Bengals and darn near came back on Denver except we lost 5 starters to injury DURING the game.  

Does Peyton make mistakes when he's being rushed - absolutely, that's how we've beaten him so many times.  Does that cost him games?  Yes.  Does it make him not elite?  Absolutely not.  

As to tonight, one game does not a season make...  If at the end of the year he regresses I'll be "girlz" enough to admit it.  But I don't expect that to be the outcome.  If he plays like last year will you be man enough to change your opinion?  

I don't think you can throw Rivers in as being like Romo when Eli Manning is still roaming around, and looking much more Romoesque. Or is it the other way around?

I don't think you can throw Rivers in as being like Romo when Eli Manning is still roaming around, and looking much more Romoesque. Or is it the other way around?

Is Eli really Romo-esque though? Eli's just been outright bad the last couple years, especially last. Romo and Rivers have actually been pretty good to great at times. But both imo have the tendency to make a bad play in th 4th quarter when they're winning (and have usually just played brilliantly), when no play was really needed at the time. They'll commit a huge mental mistake that just has you scratching your head and it costs the team the win. That's what Romo-esque means to me.

I have got to admit - when you are 2-3 minutes away and a FG can beat you, the level of aggression shown by the Arizona defense is what I want the Colts' D to become.

Say what you want about Arians - he goes for the kill, as an OC, and as a head coach, no playing possum. I love that about him. I remember a big 3rd down in the AFCCG vs Jets in 2010, he had Big Ben roll out and pass to Antonio Brown for a big first down to seal the game, he was not going to even think twice about running out clock with a run and punting, he was going to finish it right there.

In this game, Philip Rivers is not even at midfield, at least 2 first downs away from there, and the Cardinals throw the kitchen sink of blitzes at Rivers and get the turnover on downs to seal the game. Love such aggressive minded stuff, love it!!!

Is Eli really Romo-esque though? Eli's just been outright bad the last couple years, especially last. Romo and Rivers have actually been pretty good to great at times. But both imo have the tendency to make a bad play in th 4th quarter when they're winning (and have usually just played brilliantly), when no play was really needed at the time. They'll commit a huge mental mistake that just has you scratching your head and it costs the team the win. That's what Romo-esque means to me.

I kinda understand what you are saying now. Not really as a whole he makes too many bad decisions but your saying in the big moments he does. Eehh he had two years of that I'll give you that...but if people look at his career overall...he is head and shoulders above Romo...ESPECIALLY when you include the playoffs. He has a career full of achievements and but for a couple years when his team was in total rebuild he was pressing and trying to win games on his own and made a slew of mistakes. I actually think Romo and Eli are a lot alike...they try to carry a team and are more gun slingers...and when they are good they are real good...but they will make some bone head plays. However give them great talent and more often than not they make game winning plays. Phillip has been "GOOD" Phillip for far longer during his career than "BAD" Phillip...and it isn't even close.

I kinda understand what you are saying now. Not really as a whole he makes too many bad decisions but your saying in the big moments he does. Eehh he had two years of that I'll give you that...but if people look at his career overall...he is head and shoulders above Romo...ESPECIALLY when you include the playoffs. He has a career full of achievements and but for a couple years when his team was in total rebuild he was pressing and trying to win games on his own and made a slew of mistakes. I actually think Romo and Eli are a lot alike...they try to carry a team and are more gun slingers...and when they are good they are real good...but they will make some bone head plays. However give them great talent and more often than not they make game winning plays. Phillip has been "GOOD" Phillip for far longer during his career than "BAD" Phillip...and it isn't even close.

Well said.  And one thing I really like about Philip is he carries the loss squarely on his own shoulders.  He won't point a finger anywhere but at his own chest.  If we had pulled it out it would have been all about whomever got the winning play and how great they did to get it.  He's a very down to earth, humble guy.

Well said. And one thing I really like about Philip is he carries the loss squarely on his own shoulders. He won't point a finger anywhere but at his own chest. If we had pulled it out it would have been all about whomever got the winning play and how great they did to get it. He's a very down to earth, humble guy.

Romo does this as well.

Well said.  And one thing I really like about Philip is he carries the loss squarely on his own shoulders.  He won't point a finger anywhere but at his own chest.  If we had pulled it out it would have been all about whomever got the winning play and how great they did to get it.  He's a very down to earth, humble guy.

I agree...on the field he is fiery and fiesty....hard to like as an opposing team fan...but off the field you see his true character..in his interviews etc he is pretty classy and in his personal life VERY classy....top notch guy. Really respect him. He really reminds me of my brother...kind of a hot head in the moment (yell and kick and scream but never say anything worse than "gosh darn it") but after the game or anywhere else the best man you could ask to meet...faithful husband, father, and christian. Hard not to respect his spirit..he puts it all out there. I never thought he was as talented etc as some other guys...with his wierd delivery etc...but he has proven me wrong a lot more than right with that and now if I was a player he would be on the short list of qbs I would want leading me.